How the States got their shapes...resource thread

So after watching "How the States got their shapes" the other night I went about looking for more information as obviously a television program is going to have to cut out a lot of the information and basically give a summary.

I found this very informative document on how Idaho got its name (apparently it was made up) and its shape (see from page 5 onwards). It also details how Washington and Montana got their shapes as well and has some super-useful maps at the end. So for anyone wishing to come up with alternate state borders and names I think this will come in handy.

Having read it, it seems that had Congress paid attention to the proposal of the Idaho territorial legislature (a proposal which was agreed to by the Montanan miners' legislative representatives) then Idaho and Montana would have been divided along the Continental Divide and not the Bitterroot Range and eventually (by 1866) the Idaho legislature would have been calling for the creation of a new territory out of the north of Idaho (due to the difficulty in communication between northern Idaho (centered on Lewiston) and southern Idaho (centered on Boise)). They had proposed a territory of Columbia in 1866 in OTL from what is now northern Idaho, Montana west of the Continental Divide and parts of Washington territory but if this alternate proposal (which would exclude any parts of Washington territory) were put into effect then perhaps this new territory of *Shoshone or * Missoula or *North Idaho would have had a population of about 669,000 (more than Vermont's) in 2010 (assuming that everything else went pretty much as in OTL) and would probably be a State today. Of course Montana and (rump-) Idaho would be smaller in size and population. Montana would have about 657,900 (still more than Vermont) and Idaho would have had 1,239,500.

Here's a map of what it would have looked like in May 1864:

USA northwest May 1864 alternate with northern Idaho territory.png

If anybody has any other sites which provide information on how states got their shapes, please feel free to post them.

Thande

Donor
I found this very informative document on how Idaho got its name (apparently it was made up)

This is true, and apparently whoever made it up really liked the name--it was suggested to Congress for the names of at least two earlier states before it was finally used. Came across that factoid in Bill Bryson's "Made in America", which is excellent for this kind of information.

So after watching "How the States got their shapes" the other night I went about looking for more information as obviously a television program is going to have to cut out a lot of the information and basically give a summary.

I found this very informative document on how Idaho got its name (apparently it was made up) and its shape (see from page 5 onwards).:

Hmm...just realized I never did post the link for the document I mentioned. And it's too late now to edit the original post.

So here is the link.

I believe there is a TL around here that uses Idaho for the Oklahoma territory... Yeah, it's The Stars at Night: A Texas Timeline by Sicarius. Hilarious timeline, and independent Texas!

I am pretty sure he uses the same premise as that was used OTL for our Idaho: Someone assured that it was an Indian word, and that he was an expert on the subject.

All that said, nice resource.

I always thought Wyoming got it's shape because someone in the mapmaking department of DC had a shiny new protractor and was itching to use it...

This is true, and apparently whoever made it up really liked the name--it was suggested to Congress for the names of at least two earlier states before it was finally used. Came across that factoid in Bill Bryson's "Made in America", which is excellent for this kind of information.

Probably not exactly. As far as I could tell from the linked document, the two states were Colorado and Montana - and while the Colorado part is exactly correct, the Montana part is a little off: the actual situation with Idaho and Montana seems to be that an Idaho/Montana divide of some sort was intended from nearly the start, but during the planning stage the two sections had swapped both names and places at least once each before ending up in more-or-less current borders (not counting Wyoming which was formed later).
I wouldn't quite count that as "Idaho proposed as a name for Montana"; but I won't be surprized if Bill Bryson did (as it's both incredibly close and incredibly complicated).

I have the book and its sequel on my new Kindle. (Not Fire, I am terribly slow on tech things). One interesting thing, North and South Carolina was originally one, we know that, but they asked to be split up.