How possible is it to make a realistic futuristic 2000s?

Don't know if I am doing this right. But how possible is it to get the future to look like a retro future vision of the year 2000s as imagined by the 1950s?

nasaNAS9961804165651-660x426.jpg

In 1968 NASA proposed the Integrated Program Plan as a followup to the Apollo Program. It would take a heck of a POD to get such a program accepted given the high cost ($5-8 billion/year 1969 USD) when the Apollo Program only had a peak funding of $4.9 billion/year . The program would include an extensive manned program with reusable vehicles service space stations and bases around the Earth, Moon, Mars and Venus along with an extensive unmanned program. The "Space Transportation System" would include a fully reusable TSTO space shuttle with a crew of 12 and a payload of 50,000 pounds.

1973-1974: Skylab A (three Saturn IB/CSM missions)
1975-1977: Skylab B (nine Saturn IB/CSM missions

1975: 12 Person Space Station
1976: Lunar Orbit Space Station (grows to 24 people eventually)
1978: Lunar Surface Base (grows to 48 people eventually)
1980: 50 Person LEO Space Base, 24 Person GEO Base
1981: Mars/Venus Expedition (12 people, 2 ships)
1983: Mars/Venus Expedition
1985: 100 Person LEO Space Base
1986: Mars Temporary Surface Base (Venus Flyby)
1988: Mars Surface Base (48 Person, 24 Mars Orbit)

Unmanned Program
1973: Mercury/Venus flyby
1973: Venus Explorer Orbiter
1975: Venus Explorer Orbiter
1976: Venus Explorer Orbiter
1977: Flyby with Atmospheric Probes (2)
1978: Mercury/Venus flyby
1978: Venus Orbiter
1978: Venus Explorer Orbiter
1981: Venus Orbiter (2)

Mars
1971: Mariner Orbiters (2)
1973: Viking Orbiters/Landers (2)
1975: Viking Orbiters/Landers (2)
1975: Mars Explorer Orbiter
1977: Landers/Rovers (2)
1977: High Data Rate Orbiter
1977: Mars Explorer Orbiter
1979: Lander/Rover
1981: High Data Rate Orbiter
1981: Lander/Rover
1981: Mars Explorer Orbiter

Outer Planets
1972: Jupiter Flyby
1973: Jupiter-Saturn Flyby
1977: Jupiter-Saturn-Pluto Flyby (2)
1978: Jupiter Orbiter
1979: Jupiter-Uranus-Neptue Flyby (2)
1980: Jupiter Flyby with Atmospheric Probes
1981: Saturn Orbiter with Atmospheric Probes

Asteroids
1975: Asteroid Belt Survey
1981: Eros Flyby

Comets
1976: Comet d'arrest flyby

In a collaberative timeline with Michel Van and I (2001: A Space Time Odyssey), we explore this possibility (but scaled back and with a delayed schedule)

Feel free to use this.

Yeah, NASA got incredibly ambitious with its post-Apollo plans. If they'd managed to pull off the Integrated Program Plan, that would be Nirvana for spaceflight nerds and the spin off benefits would have been huge. I think the only this gets funded is if the Russians land on the moon. Then the gloves come off and the Americans bury them in hardware.

Last edited:
Boeing 2707
200-300 Passengers
images

General characteristics

• Capacity: 277 passengers
  • Payload: 75,000 lb (34,000 kg) maximum
  • Length: 306 ft (93.27 m)
  • Wingspan: 180 feet 4 inches (54.97 m) spread
    105 feet 9 inches (32.23 m) swept ()
  • Height: 46 ft 3 in (14.10 m)
  • Empty Weight: 287,500 pounds (130,400 kg) (International model)
  • Loaded weight: 675,000 pounds (306,000 kg) (maximum ramp weight)
  • Powerplant: 4 × General Electric GE4/J5P turbojets, 63,200 lbf (281 kN) (with augmentation) each
  • Max. landing weight: 430,000 pounds (200,000 kg)
Performance

• Cruising Speed: Mach 2.7: 1,800 miles per hour (2,900 km/h)
  • Range: 4,250 mi (7,871 km) with 277 passengers
  • Takeoff length: 5,700 feet (1,700 m)
    Landing length: 6,500 feet (2,000 m)
  • Cruising Altitude: 73,000 feet

Sideways

Donor
Videophones lost out to people not wanting them, I think.

The problem with retro-futurism in general is miniaturization. The 50s futurists didn't really take it into account when imagining technologies. But it's hard to avoid.

Videophones lost out to people not wanting them, I think.

The problem with retro-futurism in general is miniaturization. The 50s futurists didn't really take it into account when imagining technologies. But it's hard to avoid.

I searched for a Star Trek cartoon where Kirk and Spock travel to the year 2014 and get laughed at, because their "mobile" cant do much. :rolleyes:

But I cant find it at the moment and are a little bit confused because of all the Kirk/Spock fanfic pics.

I searched for a Star Trek cartoon where Kirk and Spock travel to the year 2014 and get laughed at, because their "mobile" cant do much.

[[Spock inspects the proffered iPhone 5, and mutters "Fascinating."
He then asks "Can your mobile do this?", phasers down the mockers, and beams up to Enterprise.]]

Grey Wolf

Donor
Don't know if I am doing this right. But how possible is it to get the future to look like a retro future vision of the year 2000s as imagined by the 1950s?

Well, when you write timelines you throw in numerous butterflies, so I don't think its particuarly difficult.

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

[[Spock inspects the proffered iPhone 5, and mutters "Fascinating."
He then asks "Can your mobile do this?", phasers down the mockers, and beams up to Enterprise.]]

:D

That doenst look like Spock at all, but I am sure the Kirk would have found time to screw the local "Moon" princess. ;)

:D

That doenst look like Spock at all, but I am sure the Kirk would have found time to screw the local "Moon" princess. ;)

Imagining Spock, of all people, acting like that is what tickled me. He'd have his phaser set to stun, obviously...

Kirk would screw some chick cosplaying as an Amazon warrioress or something...

I can't think of one POD to achive the goal, but

* Avoid the Vietnam War as we know it - either by the US staying out, or by the US fighting smart (Abrahams as commander instead of Westmoreland, building up the South Vietnamese Army etc). More money for NASA instead of bombing Laos and the "technological dream" is not replaced by anti-progress hippie movement.

* Avoid the oil price boom in 1973. Again keeping the world economy ticking. It is difficult to keep oil so cheap for much longer, but every year without OPEC would help.

The Lockheed L-2000 SST design SHOULD have been chosen instead of the Boeing design. That way, it would be less expensive, longer serving, and also being sold to potential overseas customers.

The Lockheed L-2000 SST design SHOULD have been chosen instead of the Boeing design. That way, it would be less expensive, longer serving, and also being sold to potential overseas customers.

People weren't willing on a large scale to pay the $$$ to get to cross the Atlantic in two hours instead of six. The few who were willing weren't enough to make the Concorde financially practical. Plus the Concorde had serious safety and environmental issues.

The same would have been true for an HST design. Who needs to get from New York to Sydney in two hours on a regular basis?

Sideways

Donor
Jet packs are easy. It's using them without losing a leg that's the challenge.

I guess we need to define the terms here. What is retro-futuristic? Colonies on Mars? Robot servants? Personal flying machines?

Robot servants should be do-able. We have roombas now. Flying cars are more of a challenge...