How old could have Churchill become if he hadn't drunk and smoked so much?

Churchill is (in)famous for his staggering drinking and smoking habits, yet he somehow lived to 90.

It's of course impossible to say exactly, but I'm still curious to hear your takes on it.

How old could Churchill have become if he didn't drink and smoke so much?

I doubt it would be much more than 90.

However his quality of life would be greatly increased. I've no idea how that would change history.

Personally I think he would die at around the same time he died of a stroke which it is likely he may still have around the same time even without drinking so much. I think with or without the drinks he might be about the same just because he got lucky with good health throughout his whole life with or without the drinks. Like it was told to me by a teacher a while back some people can smoke for their entire lives and never get cancer.

I doubt that he would had lived much longer even without his horribly unhealthy habits. Perhaps 2 - 3 years longer.

Churchill is (in)famous for his staggering drinking and smoking habits, yet he somehow lived to 90.

It's of course impossible to say exactly, but I'm still curious to hear your takes on it.

For all we know, it was his drinking and smoking that helped him live to 90.

Without these outlets for his frustrations
Can we another gallipoli like disaster ?

For all we know, it was his drinking and smoking that helped him live to 90.
Reminds me of the exchange between Churchill and Montgomery in the film "Into The Storm":

Churchill: "Care for a cigar general?"
Montgomery: "No sir. I neither smoke nor drink and I am at 100%"
Churchill: "Ah, welll I smoke and I drink and I am at 200%"

My dad was born in 1955 and one of his first memories is hearing that Churchil died.

In this scenario he would be more grown up when he hears that :v

His drinking and smoking habits, whilst above what would be considered to be healthy today, were not staggering. They may have been 'horribly unhealthy' in the words of one chap above, but weren't so outlandish for the time or indeed today.

The received wisdom, simply put, is wrong. The discussion in Posts #101 and #102 of this thread is instructive:

The first makes the observation, that Churchill was constantly in a state of (legal) intoxication (not that there was such a measure during his lifetime). My response drills down into the actual data regarding Sir Winston's daily intake and puts it in its context - spread out over a day, it really didn't amount to much that could intoxicate, as it were.

His smoking habits: https://winstonchurchill.org/the-life-of-churchill/life/man-of-leisure/smoking-cigars/
- Chewing on cigars, puffing the smoke out and often discarding them half smoked. The combination of these doesn't seem to be equivalent to chaining on the level of Eisenhower.

To put it in its context, consider a young person today who goes out on the town at 4pm in the afternoon and has 4 cans of awful premix lolly water over the first two hours, then dinner with a glass of wine, then goes out to a club afterwards and has 2 shots and 4 vodka and Red Bulls over 3 hours, before calling it an early night and hopping in a cab at midnight. (I've no idea if that is typical drinking patterns for the youth of today, but the example doesn't require accuracy)

Would we describe this young man or woman's intake as 'staggering'?
Would it be so outlandish as to be the stuff of legend?

As that afternoon and evening amounts to more standard drinks in half the time than Winston Churchill put away over the course of a 17 hour day (14 standard drinks vs 12), sans his naps, two extra meals and two hot baths.

Another way of putting it is to use the 425ml schooner/pint most often consumed by Australian drinkers. 6 of those will render 9.6 standard drinks; it wouldn't be completely unreasonable for a bloke to sink three an hour over the course of a Friday happy hour/two hours. Is that 'staggering'? Even 6 Imperial Pints, or the standard 568ml found in Britain as well, isn't really outlandish or amazing, yet that would exceed Churchill's daily intake. Would that be 'staggering'?

A significant part of the misunderstanding of Churchill's drinking habits comes from reading his intake of Johnnie Walker Red as being full drinks, not ones so watered down as to be the functional equivalent of mouthwash.

Very few men live to 90 much less beyond. In the mid to late 80s something is just to likely yo go wrong.
For example My father was 86 and he was climbing ladders, rafting class 5 rapids, swimming twice a week, amd walked an average of 6,5 miles a day for three weeks in Europe. on his 87 birthday at his 6 month checkup he was noticed to have a low blood count. He passed away from a terminal illnes 3 weeks before his 90th.
These kind of things just make it very unlikly for a man to live to 90 much less past 90.
So i doubt that he would live much longer even if he gave up is Drinking, his smoking and toss in his rich food for measure. It would just have. seamed yo him that he lived longer… :)

A significant part of the misunderstanding of Churchill's drinking habits comes from reading his intake of Johnnie Walker Red as being full drinks, not ones so watered down as to be the functional equivalent of mouthwash.
Churchill's daytime practice was to fill a large tumbler with cracked ice, add a jigger of whiskey, and then top it off with water. He would then sip at this for a few hours while working, getting the flavor of the whiskey, but not much alcohol.

What kind of effect might this have on Britain assuming he is in better health and lives longer (which I don’t personally think he would but let’s just disregard that). I would imagine assuming he is in good health that he continues on into an additional term because it seems to me that he retired not because he wanted to but just because his health was getting worse after his first stroke. Although being 80 years old might be enough justification to retire on its own. However someone with more experience with British political history would have to say what the actual consequences of a third Winston Churchill term are.

What kind of effect might this have on Britain assuming he is in better health and lives longer (which I don’t personally think he would but let’s just disregard that). I would imagine assuming he is in good health that he continues on into an additional term because it seems to me that he retired not because he wanted to but just because his health was getting worse after his first stroke. Although being 80 years old might be enough justification to retire on its own. However someone with more experience with British political history would have to say what the actual consequences of a third Winston Churchill term are.

Well, Churchill might had not survived from next election or would had enforced to resign like Eden had.

Of course intresting question is how he would handle with Suez Crisis but I bit doubt that Churchill would handle that any better.