How might the Soviet Union deal with global warming had it survived to the present and beyond?

I think that the Soviet Union may have incentive to cooperate with regard to global warming since global warming is transcontinental and may result in the end of civilization if allowed to continue. According to National Geographic video a temperature increase of five degrees can cause the collapse of civilization. At the present time Siberia is cold and is generally unsuitable for agriculture. If it warmed up then the Soviet Union may be willing to allow immigration to the north in order to help populate Siberia.

My belief is that at best, no different from how the other side of the Iron Curtain deals with it.
Also a continued Cold War might sideline global efforts to tackle global warming.

Based off of how every other nation in existence is acting now I assume that they wouldn't take it very seriously.
Tbf I can imagine that some might push for huge infrastructure projects like China is doing to fix their climate output. They might wanna make sure nothing like Chernobyl happens again.

Any serious effort to move towards green energy would threaten Soviet oil and gas exports, Moscow would have material incentives to fund climate change denialism and drag their feet when it comes to international climate treaties.

If climate denialism and ignoring environmental problems stop working, then simply blaming Japan and the NATO countries for most historical emissions and insisting they are mostly or entirely responsible for cleaning up the mess could be good propaganda.

The Soviet Union would gain warmer weather and thus more fertile land from climate change; also its ports would stay ice-free longer.

If anything, the CPSU would say that the very idea of combatting climate change is a capitalist plot to shore up the failing free market by switching to a new mode of energy consumption, as well as to pressure the third world to stay unindustrialized.

Last edited:
Honestly probably better than China, exporting hydrocarbons isn't incompatible with environmentalism , and they've both got better technologies and a population that would be more environment-aware than china, based on 80s trend.