How Many Civilisation-States Are There?

Rishi

Banned
How many civilisation-states do you think there are in the world today? I can only think of four civilisation-states that currently exist in the world: Greece for Western Civilisation, Saudi Arabia for Islamic Civilisation, India for Indian Civilisation and China for Chinese Civilisation.

Skallagrim

Banned
What do you mean by 'civilisation-state'? Traditionally, this term (and various equivalents) referred to a state that effectively encompasses an entire culture. This would, in the modern day, mean China and India. (A sort of exceptional case could be argued in the form of Israel, but that's debatable.) Historically, examples have included Egypt, Tawantinsuyu (the Inca Empire), the Akkadian, Babyonian and Assyrian Empires (each dominating the same general cultural sphere at their respective heights), Persia, and the Roman Empire. In macrohistorical discourse, the term 'civilisation' (as opposed to 'culture') is used precisely to describe the situation wherein one state encompasses the entire culture, thus becoming what is called a universal empire.

You seem to be describing Greece and Saudi Arabia as "civilisation-states", I guess because you see them as the respective cradles of Western and Islamic culture? Terms like 'civilisation-state' aren't typically used to describe those. (And then there's the point that whether Greece is the cradle of Western culture is very much debatable. I'd call the Roman Empire a precursor civilisation to Western culture; one which has greatly informed the West, but which does not fully overlap with it. As such, if we're talking "cradles" of a culture, I'd say the Carolingian Empire could be called the cradle of what we'd call "Western culture".)

If you'd want to describe 'civilisation-states' (in the sense of China or India) for the West or for Islam, you'd be talking about hypothetical future empires that unite these respective culture, in their totality (or something close to it), under one government.

Rishi

Banned
What do you mean by 'civilisation-state'?

I mean a state that controls an extensive geographical area containing a wide variety of diverse cultures and ethnic groups, with certain common elements uniting these cultures and ethnic groups together.

You seem to be describing Greece and Saudi Arabia as "civilisation-states", I guess because you see them as the respective cradles of Western and Islamic culture?

Yes, I made a mistake by accidentally calling Greece and Saudi Arabia 'civilisation-states' when they're actually just the cradles of Western Civilisation and Islamic Civilisation respectively. My bad. So I guess in that case there are only two civilisation-states in the world today: India and China (and both of these countries border each other, interestingly enough).

I've seen arguments, but I tend to agree that the Orthodox Christian world is a different "Culture" with Russia being the culture state then Western Europe)North America.

Latin America also is arguably separate.

Armenia, Greece, China, Mongolia, Iran, Georgia, Armenia, Mongolia, Nepal, Bhutan, Thailand, Ethiopia.

Does India really count as a "civilization state?" It's too diverse ethnically, linguistically, religiously... It wasn't really a unified state until modern times and even now, "India" is divided into not only the Republic of India but also Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, and Bhutan.

I always hear China described as the quintessential "civilization state" but the situations of India and China are nothing alike.

If we're going by Huntington, I guess that leaves China, Japan, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Ethiopia, Haiti, Israel, Greece, Armenia, and Georgia as "lone civilizations." Ethiopia is debatable because it lost Eritrea. Greece (which in my opinion, is not a "Western" country in the modern sense) is also debatable because of Cyprus. Mongolia is excluded because there are more Mongols outside of Mongolia than in it, in China and Russia.

Thinking about this again, I think it's important to first consider what constitutes a distinct civilization. I think for me, a culture with a rich literary tradition in a unique writing system constitutes a civilization. But I now that there are civilizations that don't fit that paradigm, so others might have a better basis for defining civilizations.

Uh...all of them.

From what I remember civilizations have writing, complex structure, specialized labor unrelated to food production, art, and cities. So literally every state fits.

Civilization state, in practice, seems to kind of means some mix of:

- Regional cultures a bit more diverse than European nation-states.
- Much higher population and territory than European nations.
- A long history compared to most nation states
- Culturally somewhat separated from its neighbours in some self conscious sense? (Which is usually a slightly fictive idea - is China a "civilization" or a very big part of an "Eastern civilization" that encompasses a slightly wider set of countries?).

I don't think it's a coherent idea (China's just another nation state albeit very large and pretty old, though imperfectly so, unless we ignore the overseas Chinese and Taiwan, but let's keep it simple). But I guess you could describe Iran as such, maybe, or maybe Egypt?

How many civilisation-states do you think there are in the world today? I can only think of four civilisation-states that currently exist in the world: Greece for Western Civilisation, Saudi Arabia for Islamic Civilisation, India for Indian Civilisation and China for Chinese Civilisation.
Saudi Arabia is NOT the Islamic Civilisational state. There current doesn't exist one for Islam, although the natural and most likely "core" Islamic state to emerge is Iran.

Greece is also not a civilisational state. Modern Greece has very little continuity with the golden age of Classical Civilisation. Also, modern Greece is Orthodox whereas Western civilisation is decidedly Catholic/Protestant. The torch of Western Civilisation flew to Rome and from thence it has been heavily contested. I'd say the US is currently the "Western" civilisational state as representative of liberal capitalism, which is a civilisational force. Oswald Spengler differentiates the Classical civilisations of Greece and Rome with the Faustian Protestant civilisations of Germany, Britain and the US.

Russia may yet develop into another core civilisational state. This is what Dugin is attempting to do, however the Russian people are not inclined to see themselves as separate from a "European" civilisation.

Uh...all of them.

From what I remember civilizations have writing, complex structure, specialized labor unrelated to food production, art, and cities. So literally every state fits.
i'd say that the qualifier in this case is ""their own" writing, complex structure, etc."; every (officially-recognized) country on Earth has that now, but not all of them developed it independently

with that in mind, though, i'd say that some of these are also unfair metrics--writing, for example, wasn't universal historically and many cultures "only" had oral traditions (much of Sub-Saharan Africa and the precolumbian Americas, for example) but that doesn't make them any more or less "civilized" than those that did

Skallagrim

Banned
Uh...all of them.

That is not how 'civilisation' is typically defined in a macro-historical context. Naturally, words can be used in different ways by different people. For instance, in Dutch, the word for 'civilisation' (beschaving) is never used to describe a nation-state. It always means a larger whole. There is Dutch culture, but we might speak of such a thing as "Western civilisation". Nobody would say "Dutch civilisation" (except perhaps as a joke, indicating an absurd parody of self-aggrandising nationalist attitudes).

Then, there is the complicating factor that we can also speak of "Western culture". It can be argued that that cultural complexes exist in a layered form: we have such a thing as a Western culture, and within it, Dutch culture and French culture and German culture and what-have-you. And within those, we have specific things such as, say, Bavarian culture. Even a village can have a local culture.

For this reason, Spengler argued that "civilisation" is a term that should only be applied to the encompassing whole, and then only in the event that all or the vast majority of it is united within a single state or union. So this means, at present, China and India. One could make the case for the European Union, perhaps, if one argued that the variou European-derived states (e.g. those of North America) have drifted off too far to be part of the same culture anymore. I would personally disagree, but there is room for interpretation.

Does India really count as a "civilization state?" It's too diverse ethnically, linguistically, religiously... It wasn't really a unified state until modern times and even now, "India" is divided into not only the Republic of India but also Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, and Bhutan.
And yet we understand such a thing as "Western civilisation", despite it being very linguistically, ethnically and even religiously diverse. Note that historically, treating Buddhims, Hinduism and Jainism as fully distinct religions has been a Western impulse, trying to categorise them as we understand religions. In India, there has long been a tendency to accentuate the points they have in common -- to the extent that the argument has been quite avidly defended that treating them as distinct is a Western imposition.

As to the areas left outside India: consider that Pakistan and Bangladesh are culturally Islamic. The regions were not historically thus, but they are now. I would furthermore define Nepal and Bhutan as closer to Tibet in cultural identity than to India. In fact, it can be argued that there are some regions that India currently encompasses that are likewise arguably not really part of the Indian civilisation (the inhabitants of Arunachal Pradesh, for instance, are mostly Sino-Tibetan; that they are included in India is mostly a result of borders drawn up by the British).

Of course, arguments can be made that India hisrically formed the core of a "Dharmic culture", which radiated outward into South-East Asia. (Also into Tibet and China, but there it took on an undeniably distinct form; and I certainly don't think many Indian would argue that China is somehow part of their culture!) Needless to say, this cultural influence radiating from India came to an end when Islam spread out, ultimately taking over Malaysia and Indonesia. Had this not happened, it is possible that we would look at Indian/Dharmic culture quite differently, and argue that it ought properly to include the entirety of Buddhist-and-Hinduist-influenced South-East Asia. As it is, though, that influence has been broken up and diluted, in large parts even overwritten, and present-day India can certainly be said to roughly encompass its entire cultural sphere.

I would certainly call India a civilisation-state.

with that in mind, though, i'd say that some of these are also unfair metrics--writing, for example, wasn't universal historically and many cultures "only" had oral traditions (much of Sub-Saharan Africa and the precolumbian Americas, for example) but that doesn't make them any more or less "civilized" than those that did
IIRC you had to have at least 4 of the 6.

And yet we understand such a thing as "Western civilisation"

Fair enough... Though we don't really know how to define it. For example, a lot of people are inclined to call Greece a Western country, because a lot of the things we consider to be integral to modern Western identity are deeply rooted in ancient Greek civilization. European history begins in Greece. Without ancient Greek philosophy, there is no Renaissance, and there is no Enlightenment as we know it.

Yet, if you look at Huntington's map, Greece is not a Western country but part of his proposed "Orthodox" civilization along with Russia and Serbia, despite being closer alligned to Western countries through the EU and NATO in modern times.

If you ask me, Greece belongs to neither of these civilizations. It's a civilization all on its own (though also including Cyprus and overseas Greek Orthodox and/or ethnic Greek communities around the world). Maybe it could be described as "proto-Western" due to the pivotal role its thinkers had on the development of Western philosophy, science, mathematics, academia, and spirituality, but it drifted down its own path seperate from Western Europe after the Great Schism and the Dark Ages. Likewise, the Byzantines played an important role in bringing Christianity and literacy to the Slavs, but it clearly isn't in the same sphere as Russia.

Greece is something unique. It uses a unique alphabet. It speaks a unique language. It follows a unique form of Christianity. It has a unique history, a unique culture, and a unique identity, not quite Western, not quite Eastern.

I list Armenia, Georgia, Israel, and possibly Ethiopia (if not for Eritrea's independence) as miniature civilization states for the same reasons.

As to the areas left outside India: consider that Pakistan and Bangladesh are culturally Islamic. The regions were not historically thus, but they are now.

I think that's where the weakness of trying to box countries into neat little "civilization" boxes falls apart. Islam, while certainly a huge part of Pakistani and Bangladeshi culture, is not the only part. It may be very significant that a Pakistani Muslim can go anywhere from Senegal to Mindanao and be greeted with "as-salamu alaikum," but it's also significant that a Punjabi Muslim from Pakistan can communicate fluently with a Punjabi Hindu from India, and a Bengali Muslim from Bangladesh can communicate with a Bengali Hindu from India. Punjabi or Bengali cuisine on either side of the border are more similar than they are different. I'd guess that the cultural commonalities go a lot deeper than that in terms of things like folk wisdom, agricultural techniques, superstitions, traditional medicine, etc.

In addition, there are huge Muslim communities in India that are just as proud to be Indian as the Hindus are. I talked to a Muslim taxi driver in India who told me he was very proud of his country. He has visited many Hindu, Sikh, Christian, and Jain temples and told me many non-Muslim Indians visit mosques as well. He had a very roseate view of Indian society and told me most people get along and live in harmony despite their differences. This was different from a few Hindu people I met later on who had some rather prejudiced opinions about the Muslim community.

Still, Islam is a huge part of Indian society and its history. The Delhi Sultanate? The Mughals? The Taj Mahal? Shahrukh Khan, Salman Khan, and Aamir Khan? Muslims are 14% of India's population, were very active in its independence movement, and have been there for over a thousand years.

So, despite the fact that the taxi driver was probably being a bit too optimistic, I'd be inclined to believe that if there *is* an Indian Civilization, its defining feature is not as narrow as simply Hindu or Dharmic religions... It's the complex tapestry of diverse peoples, languages, and religions all woven together.

I would furthermore define Nepal and Bhutan as closer to Tibet in cultural identity than to India.

...On the other hand, Nepal has more speakers of Indo-Aryan languages than Sino-Tibetan, its national language is an Indo-Aryan language, and its population is mostly Hindu rather than Buddhist.

Note that historically, treating Buddhims, Hinduism and Jainism as fully distinct religions has been a Western impulse, trying to categorise them as we understand religions. In India, there has long been a tendency to accentuate the points they have in common -- to the extent that the argument has been quite avidly defended that treating them as distinct is a Western imposition.

The same is true when factoring Abrahamic religions into Indian identity, too, however. Actor Salman Khan was born to a Muslim father and a Hindu mother, and identifies as both. This may seem paradoxical but this is also a defining theme of "Life of Pi."

Last edited:

Skallagrim

Banned
Fair enough... Though we don't really know how to define it. For example, a lot of people are inclined to call Greece a Western country, because a lot of the things we consider to be integral to modern Western identity are deeply rooted in ancient Greek civilization. European history begins in Greece. Without ancient Greek philosophy, there is no Renaissance, and there is no Enlightenment as we know it.

Yet, if you look at Huntington's map, Greece is not a Western country but part of his proposed "Orthodox" civilization along with Russia and Serbia, despite being closer alligned to Western countries through the EU and NATO in modern times.

If you ask me, Greece belongs to neither of these civilizations. It's a civilization all on its own. Maybe it could be described as "proto-Western" due to the pivotal role its thinkers had on the development of Western philosophy, science, mathematics, academia, and spirituality, but it drifted down its own path seperate from Western Europe after the Great Schism and the Dark Ages. Likewise, the Byzantines played an important role in bringing Christianity and literacy to the Slavs, but it clearly isn't in the same sphere as Russia.

Greece is something unique. It uses a unique alphabet. It speaks a unique language. It follows a unique form of Christianity. It has a unique history, a unique culture, and a unique identity, not quite Western, not quite Eastern.
The question of how to properly define any supposed "macro-culture" or (potential?) "civilisation" can be very tricky. That being said, this of course doesn't invalidate the concept. Some people do leap to invalidate it, but that strikes me as silly. Something being fuzzy at the edges doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Then there's the matter of Greece. That illustrates the problem quite acutely. To me, Greece is not somehow magically unique. I would define "the West", in its broadest possible form, as essentially being the old concept of "Christendom". Notably including the cultural back-drop that both shaped Christianity (historically) and was shaped by it. (So not everything that is now Christian is Westerns. Rather, the West/Christendom has exported its religion outside its own borders... but often without simultaneously exporting its cultural context. Which is why there are Christian countries in Africa, which nonetheless shouldn't be called Western, and certainly don't identify as such.)

But back in the day, Christendom did get all schism'd up. And on a macro-level, there is little doubt to me that this dividing line is the important one. I can imagine a future where the Great Schism is healed, becoming quite irrelevant, and the Orthodox Christian world is basically dragged into a "Greater West" (which wouldn't call itself that, to be sure!), forming one civilisation. I can also see a future where the rift isn't healed, and the Orthodox world drifts away from the West (which would call itself that!), and becomes a "macro-culture" unto itself. This is not yet settled. But I'm pretty sure that if it goes that way, Greece will be part of the Orthodox culture/civilisation. It will not be some kind of isolate, unless things go really funny.

That's my take, but then, I have been observed to read Spengler too thoroughly. Time will tell, as it always does. (Huntington avidly read Spengler, too, but he had a different take-away than I did in many cases. For that matter, both Henry Kissinger and Carroll Quigley can be mentioned as noted Spenglerians. Shows how much room there is to "read into it".)

I think that's where the weakness of trying to box countries into neat little "civilization" boxes falls apart.
I agree that if you go with boxes, it all falls apart. Certainly. Anyone who tries to draw clear lines like that is dooming his efforts. Things always blend at the edges, and the map is never quite the territory. But that being said: as long as you know that, maps are still pretty damn useful.

Islam, while certainly a huge part of Pakistani and Bangladeshi culture, is not the only part. It may be very significant that a Pakistani Muslim can go anywhere from Senegal to Mindanao and be greeted with "as-salamu alaikum," but it's also significant that a Punjabi Muslim from Pakistan can communicate fluently with a Punjabi Hindu from India, and a Bengali Muslim from Bangladesh can communicate with a Bengali Hindu from India. Punjabi or Bengali cuisine on either side of the border are more similar than they are different. I'd guess that the cultural commonalities go a lot deeper than that in terms of things like folk wisdom, agricultural techniques, superstitions, traditional medicine, etc.

In addition, there are huge Muslim communities in India that are just as proud to be Indian as the Hindus are. I talked to a Muslim taxi driver in India who told me he was very proud of his country. He has visited many Hindu, Sikh, Christian, and Jain temples and told me many non-Muslim Indians visit mosques as well. He had a very roseate view of Indian society and told me most people get along and live in harmony despite their differences. This was different from a few Hindu people I met later on who had some rather prejudiced opinions about the Muslim community.

Still, Islam is a huge part of Indian society and its history. The Delhi Sultanate? The Mughals? The Taj Mahal? Shahrukh Khan, Salman Khan, and Aamir Khan? Muslims are 14% of India's population, were very active in its independence movement, and have been there for over a thousand years.

So, despite the fact that the taxi driver was probably being a bit too optimistic, I'd be inclined to believe that if there *is* an Indian Civilization, its defining feature is not as narrow as simply Hindu or Dharmic religions... It's the complex tapestry of diverse peoples, languages, and religions all woven together.
I actually quite agree, although it must be noted that Islam is certainly a macro-culture itself. It even has its own explicit goal and definition for the universal empire: the Caliphate. And it is a culture that is built up around a shared religious context (perhaps even moreso than the West/Christendom, although that's debatable). So keeping the reality of "fuzzy edges" in mind, I'm pretty sure that the people of Pakistan and Bangladesh would -- if it comes to a choice -- would opt into "Islamic civilisation" before they opt into "Indian civilisation". (That doesn't mean each individual would do that, of course.)

How matters in India resolve themselves remains to be seen, but should a choice eventually become more than a hypothetical, I suspect that it'll get bloody for a bit. It usually does. And that could end in three ways that I can see. Either the Muslims win (presumably with outside help from many, many other Muslims) and India gets absorbed into the Islamic world; or the Hindus (and Buddhists) win and Islam more or less gets driven out of India; or Islam in India gets sufficiently absorbed into Indian culture that most Muslims in India feel distinct enough from the rest of Islam that they subscribe to a notion of exceptionalism (being more part of Indian culture than of any united Islamic culture).

I suspect the taxi driver you spoke to saw that third option as being either the reality or at least the likely future. I don't think that's an accurate view, although it is an option.

Whichever of the three scenarios it is, though, one ends with the termination(-by-absorbtion) of Indian culture, and the other two solidify India as a clearly distinct culture. But I don't see a scenario where Pakistan and Bangladesh get absorbed into the Indian cultural sphere again. At least not one that doesn't involve monstrosities on a scale I'd prefer not to think about. And that brings me back to the point. While there is certainly possibility for an Indian culture (and civilisation) that includes a distintly Indian strain of Islam, and there is likewise possibility for a grand and cosmopolitan Caliphate that includes India and has plenty of room for Hinduism and Buddhism, I don't think there is much possibility for an India that absorbs Pakistan and Bangladesh into itself.

On the other hand, Nepal has more speakers of Indo-Aryan languages than Sino-Tibetan, its national language is an Indo-Aryan language, and its population is mostly Hindu rather than Buddhist.
I have often gotten the sense that Nepal doesn't identify as part of India by any means, but then, I'm no expert on Nepal. I may have been off the mark there.

I have often gotten the sense that Nepal doesn't identify as part of India by any means, but then, I'm no expert on Nepal. I may have been off the mark there.

I'm a bit confused then because "civilizations" do not necessarilly have the goal of unifying under a single state. You claim above that Greece is part of an "Orthodox" civilization rather than its own civilization or Western civilization, yet Greece historically has less ties to other Orthodox countries than Nepal does to the Indian cultural sphere.

If you asked Greeks if they identify more with Russia or with Western Europe, most would undoubtedly say Western Europe. It really doesn't make much sense to put them in the same category as Russia, Belarus, and Serbia, which is exactly why I argue they consitute a distinctive civilization - Clearly allied to the West politically and ideologically, but different enough culturally, not unlike the situations of Japan or Israel.

As to whether or not Nepal is part of the Indosphere... A majority of people speak Indo-Aryan languages and an overwhelming majority are Hindu. The Buddha was born there and spent his life bouncing around the area of what is now Nepal and the Indian states of Bihar and Uttar Pradesh. The ancient Chinese treated the Buddha and his religion as Indian. For most of history, India was divided into many small countries, and during those times the area around Nepal would not have seemed any more unique than any of the other small countries making up the Indian subcontinent.

Nepal, then, is either part of Indic civilization, comprises its own unique civilization, or the Indic civilization doesn't exist.

There's also the matter of Sri Lanka. Where does Sri Lanka fit into this?

It even has its own explicit goal and definition for the universal empire: the Caliphate.

That's not true at all. Plenty of Muslim citizens in Western countries are just fine being citizens of their respective countries. Many ethnic Hui Muslims spread throughout China are proud to be Chinese. Then you have Central Asia, where many generations of Russian and Soviet influence have reduced Islam to nothing more than a nominal or cultural affiliation for huge chunks of the population, especially those in government, with some leaders even musing over switching the national religion to Turkic paganism from time to time.

And that could end in three ways that I can see.

You're overlooking a fourth option that, much like the West and Japan, religious belief will decline as living standards and education levels rise.

Islam in India gets sufficiently absorbed into Indian culture that most Muslims in India feel distinct enough from the rest of Islam that they subscribe to a notion of exceptionalism (being more part of Indian culture than of any united Islamic culture).

To some degree, that's already the case. Take, for example, this statement by the actor Salman Khan:

To a question with regard to his religion, Salman, the son of popular screenwriter Salim Khan and Sushila Charak, said: “I’m Hindu and Muslim both. I’m Bharatiya”. He subsequently said in English that “I’m an Indian”.

Like I said, if Islam is not part of Indian civilization, that means the Taj Mahal is not part of Indian civilization. If Islam is not part of Indian civilization, that means the Khans, three of the biggest Bollywood actors ever, are not part of Indian civilization. Those notions are absurd.

a notion of exceptionalism

...Only it's not exceptional at all. Muslims around the world are not a monolithic, united front. There are Sunnis, Shi'a, and Sufi. There are devout Wahhabis in Saudi Arabia who completely abstain from alcohol, and then there are secular, "culturally" Muslims in Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan who enjoy vodka and the alcoholic fermented horse milk of their nomadic ancestors.

Russian state ideology under influence of Alexander Dugin pushes more and more for an Eurasian civilization state instead of an Russian Nationalist or Pan Slavic approach.

This is a fascinating concept to me... because I always kicked around the idea of the USA or at least large parts of it evolving into one of these "subcontinental worlds of their own" kinda realms. Fair warning, I may accidentally hijack this thread and so apologize heavily, but I may never get to talk on this project anywhere else and be relevant. So if I have strayed off-topic, call me out, I'll apologize again.

I admittedly took inspiration from this ancient thread (click the link) that posited the USA would evolve into one of these in a post-apocalyptic, de-industrialized, and de-globalized world hundreds and hundreds of years into the future, staying united as a default and at worst hitting Chinese-style temporary breakups than a Roman Empire-style permanent one. I myself in my own take based on that thread posited east of the Rockies the USA would definitely keep together out of internal geography being blessed in the Intracoastal Waterway and flat land (and mountain gaps in the Appalachians) allowing easy travel, trade, and communications; the said ease of travel allowing the mass of people to keep in constant linguistic contact and intermarriage so local regionalisms don't turn into full-fledged nation-states (think of how Han Chinese consider themselves one ethnic group and people, despite sometimes-serious local dialects and cultural practices); external geography of the Great Lakes and Rockies and Atlantic and Gulf allowing easy protection from other peoples; history of being politically integrated together for hundreds of years and even fighting wars to stay together and/or hang separately; and the national and civic values of federalism, democracy, and "out of many, one" stuff encouraging cooperation between local, state, and federal governments alike. And this USA would fully remember its past and see itself as just the modern-day continuity of that in the way "China" and "India" and "Persia" existed from ancient times to now.

Fitting for a world that can't depend anymore on industrialized travel or fossil fuels for ease of access (if still able to use cutting-edge cusp-of-industrial tech like steamboats) I tended to drop the classically-Hispanic southwest and Mormon heartland (IE, more or less the Mexican Cession and Texas south of the TX-Colorado River) because of their sheer distance, harsh geographic barriers outside of distance, and ethnolinguistic/cultural differences from the constantly-interlacing Anglo-American-dominated east (I'll bite on one hand Mormons certainly are as all-American as you can get, but I'm figuring in this kind of world the local isolation and evolving culture would have them remember they ran off from the east for a reason). I did waffle on the Pacific Northwest staying a part of this USA since with it it's the closest to Jefferson's fabled "all-water route" across North America, American desire for a Pacific coast even then was strong, first Americans visiting the area in the 1790s and Lewis and Clark's claims of it in 1805, talks of settling it as early as 1818 (newspaper editorials by future Senator Thomas Benton) and 1820 (Congressman John Floyd) occurred, it was integrated into the body politic as a territory almost immediately on full annexation, and mostly first settled by Americans in terms of serious civilian population.

Some of you, btw, may have noticed some of these maps posted here-and-there before or threads asking on communications in various pre-or-post-industrialized North Americas, this is what I was fiddling with them for. One is with the PNW, the other without, I just get lazy drawing the same borders again for anything other than the USA since I am not a mapmaker with easy image/photoshop programs.

(EDIT: are the images working? They aren't in my own personal view of the post, but if they are for others, I won't fret then)

Last edited:

Rishi

Banned
If we're going by Huntington, I guess that leaves China, Japan, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Ethiopia, Haiti, Israel, Greece, Armenia, and Georgia as "lone civilizations."

India is also a lone civilisation according to Huntington. India is definitely a civilisation-state.

Last edited: