How long until AH gets the Twilight treatment?

Looking at the trailers of "Hunger Games," and overhearing female coworkers gush about the story, I started thinking about how the girly tweentastic stories have already turned vampires and werewolves into set pieces for sparkly glittery explorations of love triangles. Now comes "Hunger Games" and the love triangle has invaded the dysptopian future genre.

How long until some failed children's author churns out a trilogy where a plucky but very bland girl with the whitest name possible accidentally falls into the past and must choose between the love of hunky but sullen teenage George Washington and bad boy Benedict Arnold, with the fate of the future United States in the balance?

It's only a matter of time, right?

if it does, then we all go into cryostais until the supporters of each teenagnst heartthrob have burned the earth in their inevitable war, the planet recovers and we can come up and bring sense back into it

How long until some failed children's author churns out a trilogy where a plucky but very bland girl with the whitest name possible accidentally falls into the past and must choose between the love of hunky but sullen teenage George Washington and bad boy Benedict Arnold, with the fate of the future United States in the balance?

I love that idea

*starts typing it up*

thank god we don't live in some kind of nightmare world where alternate history is popular and well-liked by women, ugh

Looking at the trailers of "Hunger Games," and overhearing female coworkers gush about the story, I started thinking about how the girly tweentastic stories have already turned vampires and werewolves into set pieces for sparkly glittery explorations of love triangles. Now comes "Hunger Games" and the love triangle has invaded the dysptopian future genre.

It...is evil

Although that said I'm tempted to write it. Already writing a supernatural fic with the girl as the main character. :p

To be fair, I'd compare Hunger Games more to Harry Potter than Twilight. The series itself has a fairly solid dystopia, kids killing kids, and a female lead who has a spine and free will, but the two men are three demensional charachters, and one of them is only seen briefly after the first book, so not much of a triangle. Thank the bozos in Hollywood who figured it would be better to market it as a pre-teen romance series rather than a solid dystopian science fiction with a romance subplot. Plus, if it can kill the paranormal romance fad in favor of dystopian fiction, I'm all in favor.

I give it another 15 years at the least. Probably more like 20-30. There are a lot of more widely recognized genres that will be bearing the brunt of that particular literary scourge before mediocre writers resort to relatively obscure AH genre

The first AH novel based completely around gushy romance will be killed by fire by everyone on this website. The amount of ripping apart that book will go through will make what we do the current Ah writers look like we're praising them. But to answer the OP's question, probably 20 years if we're lucky:p.

Thande

Donor
Turtledove's "Crosstime Traffic" series is arguably at least a tentative attempt in this direction, although we can at least rely on Turtledove's sex scenes and Stirling's psycho lesbians to repel the Twilight target demographic.

Turtledove's "Crosstime Traffic" series is arguably at least a tentative attempt in this direction, although we can at least rely on Turtledove's sex scenes and Stirling's psycho lesbians to repel the Twilight target demographic.

For once I feel like thanking them for their contributions to the defense of Alternate History from the scourge of the tween girl.

Why would you compare the Hunger Games to Twilight? They have little if anything in common. The love triangle is a side plot at best and other then having a female protagonist, the two series are not alike.