How big was the qualitative gap between armies in 1940 and how aware were commanders of it?

While a large part of the allied defeat is due to the deficiencies at the level of high command, at the lower levels units seem to have been slow to react and lacking in initiative. How big was this gap and before the battle of France how aware were allied commanders of it?

I assume this is about the Battle of France. The gap was in operational/tactical coordination, more than anything else. And AFAICT, neither side was aware of it before the campaign. Even afterwards, it was not clear. Analysts tend to focus on things like number of troops, vehicles, and weapons, morale, training, quality of equipment.

I assume this is about the Battle of France....And AFAICT, neither side was aware of it before the campaign. Even afterwards, it was not clear.

I agree if Germany had been held a bit, the German lines would have collapsed from logistics failure and today we would all be saying how much better the Allies forces were over the Germans in command, placement of troops, etc.