House of Wessex: A Tale of an Alternate Battle of Hastings

Chapter I
Battle of Hastings, 16 October, 1066,

Harold Godwinson, Rightful King of England, gazes on the scene before him: the ships of William of Normandy burning, his army scattered and William Dead, slain by an arrow. The battle of two days ago had lasted for over seven hours until the English Longbows broke the ranks of Normandy’s forces. When the dust had settled 1,000 Englishmen lay dead whilst 6,000 Normans were slaughtered, the rest fled and where now being hunted. England was Harolds, the sun was rising over his England. The battle was quite a blur, hours of arrows bombarding either side as waves of Normans died on his troops shield wall. The Dukes forces scattered after a stray arrow struck him in his eyes, wether that tale be true was very much debatable as Saxon Archers never missed and in confusion of Battle who knows what or who killed the Duke, they were quickly routed and the forces of England were victorious!

Now the time of change was upon England. He needed a list of every cow, sheep, pig, man, house and Castle in the Land. He needed to strengthen the power of the King and finally solve the inheritance problem and of course unite the Isle under His Banner. Muttering to his fellows he muttered “summon the Witenagemot, in four days have them there to read my proclamation…”

The Witanagemot was formed of 23 ‘Wise Men’, and 47 representatives of the Lords of England. Above the Witanagemot was the ‘Little Council’ made up of the Kings Chief Councillor. The Little Council as an institutions as formed by Himself to help rule the Realm in his stead. Currently his domain encompassed much of the south of the Isle and whilst controlling Northern Wales the south still remained under the Rebel Lords. To the north the Kingdom of the Scots reigned and other powers of the north reigned.
E2EE9085-BEC3-4E47-9133-405FA5E55A89.png

Hope for England under his new banner was great and London would grown. But henceforth all eldest male members of Harolds line would be know as Earl of Wessex, Count of Dover, and Earl of Hastings and hopefully King of England.

God Save King Harold the Defender!!!

Last edited:
Harold Godwinson is not a member of the House of Wessex though? So either he needs to snuff it so the rightful line is back on the throne or the title needs a change

Battle of Hastings, 16 October, 1066,

Harold Godwinson, Rightful King of England, gazes on the scene before him: the ships of William of Normandy burning, his army scattered and William Dead, slain by an arrow. The battle of two days ago had lasted for over seven hours until the English Longbows broke the ranks of Normandy’s forces. When the dust had settled 1,000 Englishmen lay dead whilst 6,000 Normans were slaughtered, the rest fled and where now being hunted. England was Harolds, the sun was rising over his England. The battle was quite a blur, hours of arrows bombarding either side as waves of Normans died on his troops shield wall. The Dukes forces scattered after a stray arrow struck him in his eyes, they were quickly routed and the forces of England were victorious!

Minor quibbles. Bows in 1066 were reserved for the nobles in Anglo-Norse England. Hence little missile fire from the Saxons. Also, after Stamford Bridge, there was a truce where the remaining Norweigens were allowed to return home. Harold probably offered a similar truce to surviving Normans.

Minor quibbles. Bows in 1066 were reserved for the nobles in Anglo-Norse England. Hence little missile fire from the Saxons. Also, after Stamford Bridge, there was a truce where the remaining Norweigens were allowed to return home. Harold probably offered a similar truce to surviving Normans.
Sorry for the minor inaccuracy, thanks for the feedback!

The battle of two days ago had lasted for over seven hours until the English Longbows broke the ranks of Normandy’s forces. When the dust had settled 1,000 Englishmen lay dead whilst 6,000 Normans were slaughtered, the rest fled and where now being hunted. England was Harolds, the sun was rising over his England. The battle was quite a blur, hours of arrows bombarding either side as waves of Normans died on his troops shield wall.

The longbow tends to refer to the English Longbow of the Hundred Years' War - not generally held to be in use at Hastings.

"Whether or not there was a technological revolution at the end of the 13th century therefore remains in dispute. What is agreed, however, is that an effective tactical system that included powerful longbows used in mass was developed in the late 13th and early 14th centuries."

Though it should have been possible to develop this in time for Hastings, if that's the POD👍

Chapter II
London, October 31, 1066

The Witanagemot had been assembled, lords and knights of the the realm summoned to London to hear the True, Nobel, and Rightful King of England speak his word. His Grand Charter had been drafted and signed by himself and now the court was listening to his word as he sat on the Wooden Thrones. Waving his hands he summoned for silence. Opening his mouth his voiced hooked through the hall

“Hear ye, Hear ye. To commemorate our victory at Hastings I proclaim the construction of the largest fortress England has ever known! It shall hence be known as the ‘Heath’ and belong to the Warden and Defender of the South!

“Hence forth my eldest son Godwin, will be known as the Earl of Hastings, Earl of Wessex, Warden and Defender of the South, and Master of The ‘Heath’!

“My second son, Edmund, will hence forth be the Earl of York, Warden and Defender of the North!

“My third son, Magnus, shall hence forth be the Earl of Mercia, Warden and Defender of the West!

“Hear ye… I mark Godwin as my heir that upon my death the Witanagemot acknowledges his claim to the Throne! I call my sons to acknowledge his claim on my death and my second son to crown him King!

“For hence only one of my blood can ascend to the throne of England, and only of my blood can crown a king of England. Hence forth the Witanagemot will acknowledge the claims and elect a true monarch of England!

“For hence all lords of England must build a castle, and for hence the King must appoint a Chief Witan! And has the power to send away Nobels and appoint new ones! Hence forth we all say:”

A chorus echoed through the hall:

“HAIL ENGLAND AND HAIL THE KING”

Last edited:
London, October 31, 1066

The Witanagemot had been assembled, lords and knights of the the realm summoned to London to hear the True, Nobel, and Rightful King of England speak his word. His Grand Charter had been drafted and signed by himself and now the court was listening to his word as he sat on the Wooden Thrones. Waving his hands he summoned for silence. Opening his mouth his voiced hooked through the hall

“Hear ye, Hear ye. To commemorate our victory at Hastings I proclaim the construction of the largest fortress England has ever known! It shall hence be known as the ‘Heath’ and belong to the Warden and Defender of the South!

“Hence forth my eldest son Godwin, will be known as the Duke of Hastings, Earl of Wessex, Warden and Defender of the South, and Master of The ‘Heath’!

“My second son, Edmund, will hence forth be the Duke of York, Warden and Defender of the North!

“My third son, Magnus, shall hence forth be the Duke of Mercia, Warden and Defender of the West!

“Hear ye… I mark Godwin as my heir that upon my death the Witanagemot acknowledges his claim to the Throne! I call my sons to acknowledge his claim on my death and my second son to crown him King!

“For hence only one of my blood can ascend to the throne of England, and only of my blood can crown a king of England. Hence forth the Witanagemot will acknowledge the claims and elect a true monarch of England!

“For hence all lords of England must build a castle, and for hence the King must appoint a Chief Witan! And has the power to send away Nobels and appoint new ones! Hence forth we all say:”

A chorus echoed through the hall:

Duke? Wouldn’t Earl be a more period accurate styling?

Well with Harolds New Order he’s empowering his own dynasty to legitimise his and his children’s claim on England.
Yeah but it’s curious he’d choose a style that is associated with the Norman foreigners he just defeated, and the title of Earl was more or less equivelant with that of Duke at this time anyway.

Yeah but it’s curious he’d choose a style that is associated with the Norman foreigners he just defeated, and the title of Earl was more or less equivelant with that of Duke at this time anyway.
Thanks for letting me know, I’ll change it. Thanks

Not to mention that the English at Hastings didn't deploy bows in any significant capacity. And frankly the casualty figures are difficult to believe. An army on foot isn't easily going to inflict such a lopsided defeat on an army with a strong cavalry element. Especially the English, who win by not losing, and lose if they break ranks to pursue. It's a catch-22 where inflicting losses is concerned. Stand in formation and inflict only limited casualties whether you win or lose, or pursue and lose for certain. And again, what longbows? The Welsh pioneered (a bit of a strong word perhaps) its use on the battlefield (not that it was a superweapon, mind you), not the English, and they did that long after Hastings. The Anglo-Saxons did not have an archery tradition like the Welsh later did, so this schtick about English archer supremacy makes no sense without a major POD decades if not centuries earlier, in which case this whole battle is highly unlikely to happen at all.

Last edited:
It's true about the Longbow not really being a thing at this point in time, but let the author tell his tale. The POD could have been as simple as William's horse stumbles while he was close enough to he shield wall that a Saxon housecarl kills him with his axe. The result would be the same.

Last edited:
Harold Godwinson is not a member of the House of Wessex though? So either he needs to snuff it so the rightful line is back on the throne or the title needs a change
He did claim being descendant from a distant member of the house of Wessex. Of course this could just be used to boost the standing of the house of Godwinson, instead of being a credible claim, like how many houses claimed descent from Charlemagne.

Chapter III
1068, Chamber of the Little Council, April 5th,

Chief Witan, Earl of Norfolk, Sir Edward Foxwell sat with the assembled Masters, (the masters at the time were; Master of Coin, Master of War, Master of Trade, Master of Justice, and Master of Secrets). This council assembled every Quarter levied tax’s and troops and for the last two years maintained the security of the Kingdom as the Wardens of the South built his keeps, the Warden of the West attempted conquests in Wales and the Warden of the North wed to a Scottish Heir. All while the King in his Castle build the walls around London up.

News from the south had brought word of the collapse of Williams claim in Normandy with his sons fighting over the claim. Brittany was also growing to be a powder keg after the Master of Secrets alleviated an Anglo-Saxon to its Dukedom after a strategic Assassination.

England was secure for now, and with an ample treasury construction of keeps and schools became prevalent. A Royal Charter over construction of several large schools with one such one, in the town of Oxford, now called a ‘university’ where students could study theology, history, war, philosophy, and maths. This new class of Scholars was a growing influence in The New England.

As the council began discussion focused on the southern threat of France and the expansion of these ‘Universities’ as well as the issue of serfdom in the country. Word of possible revolt was growing… but for now it wasn’t a key issue of the Kings Little Council.