Hitler Visits Britain?

I'm doing some planning for a timeline about Hitler visiting Britain in Late October, November 1938. This is as a result of an invitation by Neville Chamberlain, as a way of helping ensure that peace is kept.

Does anyone think this is implausible?

you mean in stead of Chamberlain going to Munich?
Hitler wanted war so no. Maybe to negotiate another concession, but hard to imagine. Unless he didn't want war

Would he pop over to Liverpool to visit the half-cousins he stayed with for several years when 'non-grata' in Germany ??

{ It's a curious what-if; had he fallen for a sassy Scouse Lass, could there have been little vans scooting about with 'A. Hitler & Fils, Painter & Decorator' ? And a commendation for his company's heroic work during the Blitz ?? }

you mean in stead of Chamberlain going to Munich?
Hitler wanted war so no. Maybe to negotiate another concession, but hard to imagine. Unless he didn't want war
I was thinking more along the lines of Hitler visiting Britain after the Munich agreement was signed. Sorry, should have made it clearer.

I was thinking more along the lines of Hitler visiting Britain after the Munich agreement was signed. Sorry, should have made it clearer.
Thats OK,
If we imagine Hitler feeling ready for war in 1938 (which he felt), and not feeling quite ready for war in 1938/9 after sudetenland, maybe he could have been less clear about his future claims and come to London for more. Before he takes the rest if Czekoslovakia, he could try diplamacy for the firmer German parts of Poland.

Would he pop over to Liverpool to visit the half-cousins he stayed with for several years when 'non-grata' in Germany ??

{ It's a curious what-if; had he fallen for a sassy Scouse Lass, could there have been little vans scooting about with 'A. Hitler & Fils, Painter & Decorator' ? And a commendation for his company's heroic work during the Blitz ?? }

You do know Hitler never lived in Britain and that this is just a popular myth in Britain for some weird reason...

What's the impact of this divergence? I don't really see anything changing besides Hitler looking diplomatic for a few months. Will he be assassinated?

Little detail, that comes to my mind :
AFAIK Hitler NEVER visited another country as chancellor or 'Führer' he wasn't sure of having full control of, political as - esp. (?) - militarily.

EDIT :
Correction : he (only) once visited early in his career as reichchancellor Mussolini in Venice in 1934, what he didn't like, cause Benny quite looked down on him - at that stage of their ... relation. Something that had considerable changed on their next meeting.

AFAIK Hitler NEVER visited another country as chancellor or 'Führer' he wasn't sure of having full control of, political as - esp. (?) - militarily.

EDIT :
Correction : he (only) once visited early in his career as reichchancellor Mussolini in Venice in 1934, what he didn't like, cause Benny quite looked down on him - at that stage of their ... relation. Something that had considerable changed on their next meeting.

He visited Italy in mid 1938.

@torten
True, but at that time their roles had already changed alot with Hitler having just taken Austria and Benny not able to do anything against it.

"You do know Hitler never lived in Britain and that this is just a popular myth in Britain for some weird reason..."

No, I don't know.
Though close to urban legend, with waters muddied by both a fictional account and a screen-play, there were several credible witnesses.
And he did have relatives here.

IMHO, it remains a whimsical 'What If' that could have changed the course of history...

TheSpectacledCloth

Gone Fishin'
Maybe Hitler would visit London to negotiate the concession of Slovenia (from Yugoslavia) into the German Reich in the London Conference? That's a possible option in Hearts of Iron 4. But yeah, there would be little reason why Hitler would visit Britain otherwise.

In 1942, Hitler visited Finland, on the occasion of Marshal Mannerheim's birthday. He flew in and out on the same day. While Finland was an ally of Germany, it was not under Hitler's control.

In 1942, Hitler visited Finland, on the occasion of Marshal Mannerheim's birthday. He flew in and out on the same day. While Finland was an ally of Germany, it was not under Hitler's control.

Indeed. The Finnish military was in charge of the security arrangements at the event, and the Germans were definitely there as guests, not overlords.

Last edited: