Hitler Occupies Iceland 1940 !

After receiving independence from Denmark in 1918 with the signing of the 25-year Danish-Icelandic Act of Union, Iceland followed a policy of strict neutrality. In 1939, with war imminent in Europe, the German Reich pressed for landing rights for Lufthansa's aircraft for alleged trans-Atlantic flights.

The Icelandic government turned them down. A British request to establish bases in Iceland for the protection of the vital North Atlantic supply lines after German forces occupied Denmark and Norway in April 1940 also was turned down in accordance with the neutrality policy.

Therefore, it was a rude surprise for the people of Reykjavík to awaken to the sight of a British invasion force on May 10, 1940. The country's strategic importance to the British was understood; what was annoying to Icelanders was the lack of consultation.

Iceland protested the use of military force by Britain but immediately accepted the fait accompli. Nothing could be accomplished by resisting. Newspaper accounts from that period suggest that there was a certain feeling of relief. Because of the historic links between Iceland and Britain, it was felt that if someone had to invade the country it was better to see the Allies come, and not the Axis.

http://www.nctskef.navy.mil/IDF/History/worldwar.htm

BUT WI....

Pro Axis Elements invited the Germans to occupy Iceland ?

Or ....

Hitler decided to beat the US-UK to the punch and occupy Iceland ? Would the British forestall several planned campaigns to retake the Island to protect it Shipping Lanes or Bypass it ?

How would FDR react ? Would he seek to provoke an incident to bring the US into the War to stop this threat ?

How would a Nazi occupied Iceland affect Sea & Air Traffic in the UK ? :eek:

maybe they would have followed it up with Greenland next, since Greenland was a Danish territory and they were occupying Denmark it would make sense.

Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising also had an invasion of Iceland

I wrote half of a story a loooooong time ago about a Battle of Iceland, kind of styled like Red Storm Rising, although it was the Americans who were attacking the German-held island. I think it was a year or so after the Germans botched an invasion of Ungava Bay and a combined British-American force kicked them off of Greenland.

I seem to remember it being terrible. I was pretty young when I wrote it.

This would probably make the Canadians very antsy, espcially if the Nazis took Greenland next, as that would put the Germans on Canada's door step. It would also probably be a good way to cut the the North Atlantic shipping routes, as the Canadian Navy would be too busy keeping on eye on it German counter part and would be forced to pull ships away from convoy duty to protect Canadian waters and ward off any potential invasion forces.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
If it had been possible it would have been very helpful to the Nazi's, and not just because it would make the Battle of the Atlantic that much more difficult. A base on Iceland would have given the Germans a much more accurate view of the weather heading toward Europe (like the 36 hours window that allowed D-Day to occur). The Canadian Navy was on constant lookout for German weather ships in the Denmark Strait for this very reason.

Question is, COULD the Nazi's have done it? Based on the location & the logistics I doubt it. Very little hope of resupply by sea, too far out to get any aircraft in besides Condors. Might get there, but stay there? Not too likely. Sort of like the Japanese on Kiska & Attu.

Arizona Ranger said:
After receiving independence from Denmark in 1918 with the signing of the 25-year Danish-Icelandic Act of Union, Iceland followed a policy of strict neutrality. In 1939, with war imminent in Europe, the German Reich pressed for landing rights for Lufthansa's aircraft for alleged trans-Atlantic flights.

The Icelandic government turned them down. A British request to establish bases in Iceland for the protection of the vital North Atlantic supply lines after German forces occupied Denmark and Norway in April 1940 also was turned down in accordance with the neutrality policy.

Therefore, it was a rude surprise for the people of Reykjavík to awaken to the sight of a British invasion force on May 10, 1940. The country's strategic importance to the British was understood; what was annoying to Icelanders was the lack of consultation.

Iceland protested the use of military force by Britain but immediately accepted the fait accompli. Nothing could be accomplished by resisting. Newspaper accounts from that period suggest that there was a certain feeling of relief. Because of the historic links between Iceland and Britain, it was felt that if someone had to invade the country it was better to see the Allies come, and not the Axis.

http://www.nctskef.navy.mil/IDF/History/worldwar.htm

BUT WI....

Pro Axis Elements invited the Germans to occupy Iceland ?

Or ....

Hitler decided to beat the US-UK to the punch and occupy Iceland ? Would the British forestall several planned campaigns to retake the Island to protect it Shipping Lanes or Bypass it ?

How would FDR react ? Would he seek to provoke an incident to bring the US into the War to stop this threat ?

How would a Nazi occupied Iceland affect Sea & Air Traffic in the UK ? :eek:
This raises interesting questions...

Hitler did order a plan drawn up the invasion of Iceland. It was in a military history magazine. I forget the codename. It involved putting a mountain division reinforced with 2 coastal artillery batteries on a large liner and trying to sneak it to Iceland.

Raeder was not enthusiastic about this idea.

Tom

Actually, the Germans had a plan drawn up Operation Icarus.

I'm trying to find more details, but IIRC it involved putting part of a mountain division on a fast converted cruise ship and sending them towards Iceland, hoping against hope that they'd make it.

NapoleonXIV

Banned
Did having it help the English much in the Battle of the Atlantic? If it did then it might help the Germans as well, and this might be crucial for that was a near thing for the British; but then how much would it's defense hurt the Germans, so that the BoA is less close.

If it didn't help the Brits then the Germans even less, for now they have a useless liability.

Getting the invasion force there is a very high risk. Even assuming it's kept secret, one lucky torpedo and you've lost a mountain division. If its not secret the whole British navy will be after that poor ship.

A very high risk naval venture of dubious benefit. Hitler was crazy ,yes, but....

Whether Iceland or Greenland, I think in either case the Allies (even without the US) would have no problem kicking the nazis out again, since they've got the better navy and are much closer.

If Seelowe wasn't possible

How can the Germans project enough force to take Iceland? It is after all, considerably further away, across an Ocean they can't contol.

JLCook said:
How can the Germans project enough force to take Iceland? It is after all, considerably further away, across an Ocean they can't contol.
A Airborne Divison would easily deal with taking over Iceland as they have no Military, but supplying them is the question.

Last edited:

Redbeard

Banned
Landing a limited number of troops on Iceland and let them take control over key points in a coup like operation isn't the problem, that can be done with a liner and the help of nightfall and good luck. But once the troops have done that - what then? They are absolutely cut off from Germany and only control whatever is inside eyesight - and that is not much on Iceland. Their future will be: boredom, starvation and defeat to allied counterinvation.

If the reason for invading Iceland is denying the allies the potential of bases in the Battle of the Atlantic it will require hundreds of thousands of troops as well as planes incl. the constant supply of supplies, spares, fuel etc. That is far, far away from Axis capacity.

If the reason is to have a stepstone for invading America (I usually do that when playing Hearts of Iron II), then getting a surface navy that can control the Atlantic is not only a necessity for the invasion itself but also for utilising a successful invasion.

But in a TL where Sea Lion has suceeded ( :D he-he I said it), Russia is conquerred and a mighty fleet built, Iceland might be of interest, but I guess we are in the 1950's now.

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

Iceland was a vital link on the trans-Atlantic air ferry route that moved American built planes to Europe (US-Can-Nfld-Grn-Ice-UK). I think any desire to take Iceland would have something to do with this, and the general blockading of Britain.

However, in order for the Germans to be able to project enough naval power to do this without being sunk by the RN on the way, you have to re-write the whole history of the War, and even further back than that. Giving the Germans a few aircraft carriers wouldn't hurt.

Gremlin

Banned
Sep '39. The had one aircraft carrier (Graf Zeppelin) pretty much built and ready to go and another one on the way as part of Plan Z. It was never used and eventually was taken by the Russians who ended up using it for target practice.