hippie like movement hits europe at the height of imperialism more succesful than OLT

Status
Not open for further replies.
MerryPrankster said:
R_N, that was uncalled for. Yes, Straha has been rather unkind to you, but you didn't need to sink to his level.

You also need to get a thicker skin.

Seriously, how might we get a hippie-like movement at the height of imperialism? The concept sounds interesting.
ok, i'll try to keep that in mind, but tell him to shut the fuck up!

as for your hippie question, maybe growth of conditions like those that spawned our movement.

radical_neutural said:
ok, i'll try to keep that in mind, but tell him to shut the fuck up!

as for your hippie question, maybe growth of conditions like those that spawned our movement.

Radical neutral, don't overdo it.

Well, the world then was quite different... It would be mroe like a steampunk version of the 'depravated intelectual-artists' of the Gothic era...

Hmm...

In early 19th C England you did have the utopian Ideals of the Romantic poets. Shelly, Byron and the rest of those idiots. Blake was the best of them. I don't think much of their literary talent but find some way to translate their ideals into the mainstream and you might get something.

Flocculencio said:
Hmm...

In early 19th C England you did have the utopian Ideals of the Romantic poets. Shelly, Byron and the rest of those idiots. Blake was the best of them. I don't think much of their literary talent but find some way to translate their ideals into the mainstream and you might get something.

That is the closest to the hippie's optimism, I guess.

Personaly, for an interesting counterculture, i'd aim more for the Gothic poets and artists. :D

The Ubbergeek said:
You know, Victorian era was quite different in some european countries... France was rather 'loose' compared to England and Germany... Just read the work of some authors of that time... It was surprising.

If the commune held, if there was an even stronger counterculture..

Thsoe 'hippies' wouldn't smoke pot, but they would use coca, smoke opium, drink absinthe....
All one has to do is look at the art of the day. There is fodder to make something like this remotely possible. What will its impact be? I don't know.

I'd imagine that such a movement (in England at least) would have trouble taking off in the Victorian social mores. But some derivation of the romantics does seem the most likely option. I suspect I'll focus on Britain as 1) I live there 2) it' what most people think of as the centre of Imperialism.

I'd suggest we could play up counterculture nature by focussing on opposition to a war- Crimean? That'd require more press coverage of losses, greater public feeling of an "unjuist" war, and a loss of patriotism- which goes rather against the Imperialistic ideals.

More cultural feedback from India? I'd point out the feeling that Britain was doing it's Empire a favour by occupying it.

radical_neutural said:
all these are great ideas! what would the world look like now?

Well, if Britain's Imperial adventures are curtailed somewhat by domestic pressure, I would imagine more of Africa would remain free of colonial rule (or would fall into the hands of a non-German power).

If the movement is early enough, the Boer republics might be saved. I think they're rather interesting--an independent white African state (well, two of them).

Hmm...might the Boer War be the "hippie" movement's Vietnam?

MerryPrankster said:
Well, if Britain's Imperial adventures are curtailed somewhat by domestic pressure, I would imagine more of Africa would remain free of colonial rule (or would fall into the hands of a non-German power).

If the movement is early enough, the Boer republics might be saved. I think they're rather interesting--an independent white African state (well, two of them).

Hmm...might the Boer War be the "hippie" movement's Vietnam?
interesting theory, maybe a europe wide protest of WWI? but the boer war could work to, but what would the whole of europe look like if it was WWI?

Ian the Admin

Administrator
Donor
I'm locking this thread. Quite a lot of you guys are to blame for insulting the guy, good grief.

And Radical, if someone's acting like a dick toward you, flag their post or PM me, don't go screaming at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.