Hija del Sol de Oriente 2.0

Hmmm.... The Dutch and the Spaniards could coexist over Formosa?
(Unless the Calvinist missionaries were Spanish Protestants who fled Spain or their descendants)

FORMOSA, THE BEAUTIFUL ISLAND

Part 4

Official_consulate_fort_santo_domingo.jpg

Fort Santo Domingo

As the Dutch settled in Formosa, they aimed to establish friendly relations with the island's aboriginal residents. They managed to forge an alliance with Sinkan village, which grant them more land where the Dutch established a new settlement named Saccam.

The Dutch's stay in Formosa wasn't entirely pleasant. Their alliance with Sinkan inevitably dragged them in the said village's rivalry with other villages, particularly Mattau. The result, the Dutch became a target of harassments and raids by the aborigines and suffered casualties.

In the mid-1620s, the Dutch launched a pacification campaign [1] against Mattau and other non-allied (and hostile) villages. Through a combination of diplomacy and warfare, the Dutch managed to force more of the aborigines to swear loyalty to VOC. By 1629, the Dutch were the undisputed overlords of southern Formosa.

In the same year, the Dutch made contact with the Kingdom of Middag, then a protectorate of Spain. It was then that they found out about the Spanish positions in north Formosa. It wasn't long before the Spaniards learned of the same about the Dutch. By the start of 1630, the two colonial forces finally began fighting each other for supremacy over the entire island. The Dutch and their allies started raiding the villages aligned with Spain, provoking retaliation from the Spanish. Middag had also became a victim of Dutch attacks and at some point, were pressured by them to switch sides. But the native kingdom stood firm, after being promised of reinforcements from Santissima Trinidad. Later, the Spaniards and their allies counterattacked by invading Favorlang, a Dutch-held village, burning it to the ground. Both the Spanish and the Dutch went on with their battles for a few more years.

The war for Formosa wasn't limited on land. Dutch ships had also began attacking the Spanish fleet supplying the island garrison, with much success. These events created a very serious problem back in Manila. In 1632, the interim Governor of the Philippines Juan Cerezo de Salamanca reported back to Madrid about the lack of progress in Formosa, and suggested that they abandon it altogether. It was outright rejected by Spanish government.

The situation of the Spanish in Formosa was further complicated when the Dutch fleet launched a daring assault on Santissima Trinidad and Santo Domingo, putting it in siege for almost a year. The two ports held their ground at the time, but the incident put the whole Spanish colony in danger. A new governor arrived at Manila in 1635, his name was Sebastian Hurtado de Corcuera. An experienced military officer, he immediately assessed the situation in Formosa and concluded that it was a lost cause. Thus, he refused to commit further reinforcements, angering several Spanish commanders and even the Royal Audiencia.

By mid-1635, Spain is on the verge of losing their hold on Formosa, as the Dutch began a major assault towards Santissima Trinidad. But one incident changed everything.

In August 1635, several reports from some Spanish soldiers told about some natives having so many gold jewelry. When they asked them about the source, they were led to a mountain just a few kilometers west of Santissima Trinidad. A brief exploration unraveled a major discovery: a gold mine [2]. The news spread like wildfire throughout the Spanish settlements, and later to Manila. The glory-hog officers used this knowledge to convince Hurtado de Corcuera to send more troops to Formosa. In just several weeks, hundreds of Spanish and native troops from Luzon sailed to Formosa, and began outnumbering the Dutch forces. In November 1635, the Spaniards attacked the Dutch positions. A Spanish fleet was also assembled in Manila to lay siege to Tayouan and Saccam. Far from Batavia, the Dutch garrison began to crumble. In early 1636, Tayouan was surrounded by Spanish (and Middag) soldiers on land, and by galleons at sea. Seeing that resistance is useless, Governor Hans Putmans finally surrendered. All remaining Dutch forces were sent to Batavia, leaving the Spaniards as the masters of Formosa; the latest addition to the Spanish East Indies.

---

[1] Earlier than OTL
[2] IOTL, it was discovered in the 1890s. Lucky Spaniards...

Any comments? Opinions?

I apologize if you guys think I'm begging too much. I just really wanted know how well this TL is going and, if I'm nearing ASB territory already.

I don't see you nearing ASB territory. Everything seems plausible and possible.

The issue that you will have is Spain. Any changes in any part of The Iberian empire can butterfly the rest of the world. The Spanish king after all is also the Portuguese monarch and is the current world power.

Mercenarius

Banned
The issue that you will have is Spain. Any changes in any part of The Iberian empire can butterfly the rest of the world. The Spanish king after all is also the Portuguese monarch and is the current world power.

IMO, not that much.

Having an additional colony wouldn't immediately change neither Spain's fate on the world stage, nor solve the problems it was facing back home (they're still stuck in the Thirty Years War at this point).

Though it'd probably butterfly away most of your earlier chapters concerning 19th century Philippines.

IMO, not that much.

Having an additional colony wouldn't immediately change neither Spain's fate on the world stage, nor solve the problems it was facing back home (they're still stuck in the Thirty Years War at this point).

Small butterflies on a superpower tend to have huge waves at the end of that effect.

On this ATL, Spain acquires Formosa. According to this TL, Spain acquired Formosa because of Gold. Gold which can be used for other parts of the empire or fund other wars/policies by Spain present or future. Having Formosa means you have instances more prone to fighting China or Japan, present or future.

The governor was not tried and convicted. He and his supporters can influence politics back in Spain or any Spanish colony he and his supporters has influence.

A good pattern is the British. What happens if UK did not colonize Canada and/or Australia? Wouldn't that effect world history due to the British at one point was the world power?

Another would be the USA. What if the USA did not liberate Cuba or did not make Hawaii part of USA? Wouldn't this butterfly history however small that starting PoD is due to the fact that USA is a world power?

I understand your points. But I think the OP has other plans for Formosa. The Spanish is yet to face Koxinga's forces. AA might surprise us with something.

Yes, the op has a goal for Spanish Formosa. In otl, even with technological advantage. the Dutch lost because of the overwhelming numbers and the lack of reinforcement. Koxinga doesn't have that kind of advantage vs Spain unless Spain suddenly refuses to help Formosa like otl even though Luzon is very near Formosa compared to Java.

So, most of you guys think that Formosa would stay with Spain...

...well, think again. :D

Well, like I said, it all depends on Spanish desire. As long as the Spanish wanted, they can keep Formosa by force until 1800. This is all possible for Spain as long as they desired to stay in Formosa. Not even the British could conquer luzon in otl 18th century. So it would probably depend on how much wealth Spain can squeeze from Formosa to defend it with the same zeal and resource as they did otl Luzon. Of course I know you got it laid out for Formosa.

Mercenarius

Banned
Hey, Admiral. I suggest you restart this TL (*sigh*... again). I felt that you really want to jump into action already, but if you want to include ATL world events in this story you should consider some build-up.