Hey, it's an American Civil War POD!

Because we don't have enough of them already, I decided to throw this out there.

At the Battle of Chancellorsville, Robert E. Lee's army was undermanned compared to its normal strength due to the fact that 15,000 men under James Longstreet were in southern Virginia seeking to eliminate the Union presence at Suffolk and to obtain extra provisions. As a result, Lee was commanding one wing of the Army of Northern Virginia by himself rather than directing Longstreet, who normally commanded the wing.

My question is, how might the Chancellorsville Campaign have proceeded if Longstreet had not been sent to Suffolk? Without the provisions, but with both Longstreet and his forces under Pickett and John Bell Hood present, would things have gone better, worse, or the same for the Confederates?

Last edited:
I'm inclined to think worse. Lee's army is not eating well as is, and 15,000 more men doesn't significantly even the odds numerically.

I'd say worse, but marginally.

When Hooker lost his nerve, one of his problems was that he thought Longstreet was there, despite word from peck that Longstreet was at Suffolk; when Couch chooses to attack after Hooker's out for longer in "Brotherhood and Baseball" (and "If Baseball Integrated Early") that's one reason he gambles and Chancellorsville becomes a Union win.

So, you have a poorly maintained military facing a general who has decided to suddenly back up. Longstreet's extra forces can probably serve to defeat them, but they'll need the provisions to make a push any further North.

While not having Gettysburg may seem like it would make Lee stronger, however, it also means that you might see an AotP with Meade in command (Hooker probably gets sacked as in OTL) in July which also hasn't had the horrible carnage of Gettysburg. By the time Lee has gotten his provisions, sending Longstreet down in late May, let's say, you could perhaps see a Gettysburg-sized battle further South, in Maryland or even Virginia.

I'm not sure what would happen from there, but thsoe are my thoughts, anyway.