Hm. I had no idea. That would be a remarkable career shift, from lieutenant governor to VP.
There's a great description of that in a book which unfortunately I can't find right now, but it's basically Nixon turning first to Finch, who declined because of what he saw as his lack of qualifications, and then to Rogers Morton, who didn't like the idea, asking them if they'd like to be Vice President.

Zachanassian

Gone Fishin'

Pres. Nixon, preparing for some Judas-killing.

I was right he's in here watching the little ratfuckers are already here in the White House right next to me poison me in my sleep they're everywhere but I'm too smart for them I can see what they're hiding and what they want from me the Judases Judas Judas Judas is his name that Maryland fucking clown I hate him he should die maybe I'll have Gord kill him or something or J. Edgar or someone he deserves to die the Judas Judas I was right all along I'm better than this game I can win it I sucked the orange I've had so much practice in sucking the orange and now I'll win finally this endless game of deceit and lies and misery and they'll remember me until the end of time the man who killed the Judases in the White House and Washington and the world all those enemies of America who think they can get away with what they do the bastards the commies the reds the Jews I'll fight them I'll win because Nixon's the one.

Oh, poopy.

This will not end well.