Help: OTL 1948 aviation/naval bases

Hi, I could use some expertise for a very particular scenario. It is OTL 1948. What are the most likely naval bases where the wife of a US Naval officer could be living? And how long would it take to get from that base to New York City via airplane? Thanks!

Hi, I could use some expertise for a very particular scenario. It is OTL 1948. What are the most likely naval bases where the wife of a US Naval officer could be living? And how long would it take to get from that base to New York City via airplane? Thanks!

Could be pretty much anywhere. If he's at sea aboard a ship, the homeport of that ship would be the most likely location. If you're looking at the Atlantic Fleet, Norfolk, Philadelphia, Charleston, or Boston would be likely places. For the Pacific, I'd suggest San Francisco, Honolulu, or San Diego.

Flying would be unusual in that timeframe, but the DC-3 was by far the most common civilian aircraft of the time. Its cruising speed was 150 mph, and it took approximately 15 hours for a eastbound coast-to-coast flight in the U.S. Westbound flights took 17.5 hours.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor

From New York?

Australia, New Zealand, India (attache)

Decent runner up is as an attache in Moscow.

Time, in 1948? 3 -4 days.