Hearts of Iron IV Thread

I've been waiting till now to get a HOI game, but, given the massively negative reception, should I just get HOI 3?
it really depends on what you want. I like HOI 4 and the accessible mods fix a lot of issues plus make some awesome events.
Germany as a Monarchist nation protecting Yugoslavia from the terrible forces of Italy with the forces of Czechoslovakia and Greece at my side. Plus outnumbered 2-1 by the cruel Italians because I have 14 divisions going after Italian territories.

But overall you might want to get HOI3 for now until some of the bigger issues are fixed.

it really depends on what you want. I like HOI 4 and the accessible mods fix a lot of issues plus make some awesome events.
Germany as a Monarchist nation protecting Yugoslavia from the terrible forces of Italy with the forces of Czechoslovakia and Greece at my side. Plus outnumbered 2-1 by the cruel Italians because I have 14 divisions going after Italian territories.

But overall you might want to get HOI3 for now until some of the bigger issues are fixed.
What MOD are you using to get that? I don't recall encountering any that does that. :confused:

Thanks. As for vanilla gameplay, what's better specifically on 3 as opposed to 4?

I've been waiting till now to get a HOI game, but, given the massively negative reception, should I just get HOI 3?

I'm not sure where this massively negative reception thing is coming from. Ironically, I imagine if anyone is massively negative about it it's the hardcore milsim HoI3 players who would rather Paradox make nothing at all rather than a commercially viable game.

Really depends, what are you interested in? The politics or the warfare? In my opinion, HoI3 is much closer to a classic board wargame, Nato Hex Counters and all. It also is a much more realistic representation of the chain of command, with every level of command from Brigade up to Theater represented. However, its learning curve is through the roof and it's UI is mixed in its accessibility. HoI4 on the other hand is very accessible and it's UI and graphics are very polished and visually pleasing. My only gripe with it is that the battle plan system implemented in 4 only has divisions, armies, and theaters whilst missing corps and army group levels.

I'm not sure where this massively negative reception thing is coming from. Ironically, I imagine if anyone is massively negative about it it's the hardcore milsim HoI3 players who would rather Paradox make nothing at all rather than a commercially viable game.

As I've stated a few times, I'm a tad irritated that they simplified the OOB system so much. As I play it more though it's starting to grow on me more. I definitely see why they overhauled it, as it is now more widely accessible to "casual" strategy players. I personally am a fan of more classical hex wargames with Nato counters, especially much of Avalon Hill's older stuff (Desert Fox, D-Day, and Stalingrad).

I always liked the concept but my fundamental problem with the OOB system was that it didn't seem to add anything to the game save immersion value and needless complication. The funny thing is with the new system of developing armies and theatres they're actually in a better position to have such a system in the game than they were previously, with a good UI already developed. I'm hoping it's something they add back in eventually, it would also make individual generals more important.

you can see the total casualties of a war. Not as detailed as Darkest Hour.
The hardest thing to look at is the mass of bodies represented in binary code.

Yeah, plus dont forget fallout deaths upwards of 10,000 dead.

The leader of American Empire in that universe has a lot of blood on his hand.

Plus the deaths of all the RN and USN battlefleet sailors

1C4C26B9C0D40599FC3EEE754FA05DE2B08EBE75

To my knowledge this is not a modded one.

Also sent three tank divisions to help the working class people of Avalon face the mighty Italian, Spanish, and German Tyrants.
With luck 42 divisions will capitulate soon to the 3 divisions led by the super M4 Sherman.
(See al the stars, I used them all for the M4 Sherman. Especially Reliability department.

Zachanassian

Gone Fishin'
As others have stated, even after three expansions and numerous patches, HoI3 is still in a worse state than HoI4. IMO, the "negative reception" is overblown internet ranting.
HoI4 is a good framework for what will hopefully become one of the best grand strategy games on the market, though it is a bit lacking and rough around the edges right now.

I'd actually recommend "Darkest Hour" to hold yourself over until HoI4 gets more polished. DH has had a development cycle of about, I dunno, a decade and as such is a very polished and enjoyable experience. It also has the best version of the Kaiserreich mod, which is worth getting DH for alone.

Definately agree with your sentiment Zachanassian. Hoi4 is a far better base compared to 3 and a lot of good ideas that will get buffed in subsequent patches. As is the case, the AI is still pretty ropey, but that'll get better as well.

Def agree on getting DH in the meantime

The day HoI4 starts making sense after war starts it would be a terrific game. Right now it's unplayable.

Too stupid AI. Their decisions don't follow even a minimum of logic.

As long as there are a ton of divisions in the Sahara, the Germans leave the Soviet border undefended, the Allies keep making micro naval invasions everywhere, Japan keeps sending divisions to Europe and every single country prefers to produce 1936 equipment it will stay on my shelf.

It was released in Beta stage. Why? I don't know. Shitty beta testers I guess. One would guess it would have been far more polished considering they postponed the release date 1 year and a half.