Hearts of Iron IV Thread

How does Hearts of Iron IV compare to Hearts of Iron II?

Also, how does it compare to Stellaris, and why did Paradox decide to release two major games within a few weeks of each other?

Because Hearts of Iron IV was delayed multiple times, when it was announced it was supposed to be released in late 2014.

I'm not sure if that's the case. Looking in the game files, it appears that each ideology is divided into sub-ideologies: conservative, liberal, and social democratic for the blue "democratic" ideology; Marxist, Leninist, Stalinist, Anti-Revisionist, and Anarcho-Communist for the red "Communist" ideology; Nazi, Fascist, Falangist, and "Rexist" for the brown "Fascist" ideology; and finally "despotic", "oligarchic", "moderate", and "centrist" for the grey "Non-Aligned" ideology.

They have no excuse then.

Putting as leader of a country as someone whose wiki explicitly says was only an administrator that never held any political position is incredibly incompetent.

Because Hearts of Iron IV was delayed multiple times, when it was announced it was supposed to be released in late 2014.

They have no excuse then.

Putting as leader of a country as someone whose wiki explicitly says was only an administrator that never held any political position is incredibly incompetent.
It sounds like it should have been delayed even more. At least Stellaris' actual unfinished parts are subtle things you can play an entire game and never encounter (heck, at least one you may never notice even if you do encounter it so long as you keep to just the game), HOIIV having the kind of sloppiness you describe on release is just sad.

Delta Force

Banned
Are there any games like Hearts of Iron set in the 1800s, World War I, the Cold War, or the present? I know there was a Darkest Hour scenario for World War I and a playable Cold War for Hearts of Iron II, but are there games specifically set in those eras?

Are there any games like Hearts of Iron set in the 1800s, World War I, the Cold War, or the present? I know there was a Darkest Hour scenario for World War I and a playable Cold War for Hearts of Iron II, but are there games specifically set in those eras?
There was Napoleonic War Paradox game, it was apparently a bit more HOI-ish in its war-focus (though it was apparently also very map-limited for a Paradox game, more release-CK2). Other than that, I don't think so. Victoria is... similar enough you can see the outlines, but still quite different in focus, and I'm not sure who else other than Paradox really does this kind of thing any more.

So how difficult is it to jump in? I've messed around with CKII (mostly the ASOIAF mod) and am enjoying Stellaris (though I haven't gotten to the deep end game stuff yet), but I haven't tackled anything like Victoria or EUIV. I'm interested in the grand strategy aspects and the crazy paths you can spin off of OTL, but the reviews I've read say that the just learning how to play the game can be a challenge.

Is this worth the price, and if so, how long would it take for a relative newbie like me to get a handle on things?

I remember trying to get into Supreme Ruler Cold War and having no idea what was going on. I'd really like a good Cold War game that was a mix of HoI and Vicky (by that I mean not just being a military-industrial simulator).

Faeelin

Banned
Holy shit, it's not that Paradox understanding of the SCW was too deep before, but at least they got the factions right and everything sorta felt like a simplified version of the SCW, which I suppose was good enough for most of us. They managed to completely fuck everything up. That's no Republican Spain and Spanish Civil War.
Jesus Christ this is awful.

They've been hinting at working at it since Stellaris came out.

Honestly I think the UI would be a very good one for a Vicky3 game.
It's been a while since I was on the plaza. God I'd love to see a Vicky3, I just hope they don't take the EUIV approach they took with HoI4. Vicky's era is so awesome, it's my field of study and I really wish more games would do it justice. Vicky2 was so damn close to being phenomenal, it just needed a little more complexity in its mechanics. Of course, given its performance compared to the simpler styles of CK2 and EUIV, and the direction complexity seems to have gone from HoI3 to HoI4, I'm very worried about VIII

It sounds like it should have been delayed even more. At least Stellaris' actual unfinished parts are subtle things you can play an entire game and never encounter (heck, at least one you may never notice even if you do encounter it so long as you keep to just the game), HOIIV having the kind of sloppiness you describe on release is just sad.

Well its not actually broken. But there are gaps, which is understandable since it is paradox. I tried to warn you all in the other thread.

Every time paradox releases a game its like they forgot everything they learned from the last games. And yet they say they listen to feedback...