Have the BAe Nimrod AEW be more successful and enter service

Riain

Banned
From what I've read one of the major problems with the MRA4 was that BAE spent a lot of time and money making a lot of precision laser cut parts that were completely identical to micrometre tolerances, then found out that the planes they had all been put together by making some bits that were vaguely similar then having people (you, I suppose!) hit with them with hammers until they fit together, Apparently some of the Nimrods taken up for MRA4 had differences measured in metres.

I've heard similar, they were all pretty much hand built. Not that that's a bad thing necessarily, Aston Martins of the same vintage are hand made too, but nobody is trying to make a DB6 into a Tesla.

Nimrod was an example of what happens when the bean counters get control of procurement and listen to what the engineers tell them without understanding what was said.

Nimrod should have been replaced by a VC-10 variant when the VC-10 was in production. It would have been up to current standards and would have been faster to fly to station. Replace the VC-10s when the A300 becomes available. QED.

Nimrod was an example of what happens when the bean counters get control of procurement and listen to what the engineers tell them without understanding what was said.

Nimrod should have been replaced by a VC-10 variant when the VC-10 was in production. It would have been up to current standards and would have been faster to fly to station. Replace the VC-10s when the A300 becomes available. QED.

The VC-10 is usually described as too big when the idea of using it is suggested.

Nick P

Donor
The VC-10 is usually described as too big when the idea of using it is suggested.
It could be made smaller. However, size is not a disadvantage when it comes to electronics, particularly for ASW.
Having been aboard the Nimrod R.1 at Cosford I have to say that having more space on board would only have been an improvement. I get the same impression from photos of the MR.2 version.

Converting the VC10 for all operations would have given us these - http://www.bisbos.com/air_canc_vc10.html

I suspect it was really a question of the price being too big and the desire by the UK govt to support all the UK plane manufacturers evenly. What else did Hawker Siddeley have going on at the time, was this choice intended to keep them going?
That the Comet was a proven design with a supply chain already established probably swung the decision in favour of Nimrod.

It's interesting that as AWAC was showing itself as not just a force multiplier but without it - you lose, why'd you'd skimp on it is unfathomable.
The Russians were gone, we were not going to fight anyone without the US backing us up and anyone we did was unlikely to have the best or latest tech. The same rational is why we have been enjoying "capability holidays" and didn't buy a Nimrod replacement for years, why the RAF did not have any replacements for the Sea Eagle anti-shipping or ALARM missiles. The Sea Eagle were scrapped as they were due for deep maintenance to the turbines which would have cost a total of £4 million for the entire fleet.

The UK treasury just would not pay for even basic upgrade to the UK military.

Essentially this. The MRA.4 was a casualty of the War on Terror. The latter was a rather expensive venture and the MRA.4 was an especially easy project to place on the chopping block with Haddon-Cave fulminating. Pity as the Nimrod MRA.4 promised to finally be a mightily capable platform. I'm still not sold on medium-altitude ASW, sorry Boeing fans.

Oh well, not the first goat to befall the political T-Rex and certainly not the last.

Essentially this. The MRA.4 was a casualty of the War on Terror. The latter was a rather expensive venture and the MRA.4 was an especially easy project to place on the chopping block with Haddon-Cave fulminating. Pity as the Nimrod MRA.4 promised to finally be a mightily capable platform. I'm still not sold on medium-altitude ASW, sorry Boeing fans.

Oh well, not the first goat to befall the political T-Rex and certainly not the last.

The electronic fit was, apparently, a world leading game changer. Unfortunately the aircraft was a death trap with over 200 safety faults identified.

We're probably lucky we only had one XV230 over Afghanistan.

McPherson

Banned
Like most British aircraft of the time the most important thing was not the drawings or the build parameters or anything like that.What was important, vital even was 'Institutional knowledge'
You knew that part 'A' needed a few thou shaved off in order that it fit part 'B' even though the drawing did not show this. Production plan says to drill this hole now? If you do then when Fred comes to do his work then it won't line up with his parts.Far better to let Fred drill the hole.
British aircraft of that ERA were hand built and hand built by craftsmen (not me obviously, but everyone else) and as you point out each one was different.
As a young lad I built the fuel baffles for 125's . Each one despite every attempt at interchangeability was different.
It was impossible to take a part that had been drilled off on one aircraft and fit it to another.
It was only with the advent of the Airbus line in the late 70's that this began to change.
So yes you are right....I was that man with the hammer!
Edit.
Not lasers. Lasers produce heat and destroy the temper of the metal but early forms of CNC probably.
Dog's breakfast. It amazes me that card-punch control or analog milling in the machine still was not a thing as British aviation entered into the jet age that deep, post Korea. I mean it is incredible that WWII lessons that should have been learned on the shop floor had not made it through in the 1950s.

It's interesting that as AWAC was showing itself as not just a force multiplier but without it - you lose, why'd you'd skimp on it is unfathomable.
The Russians were gone, we were not going to fight anyone without the US backing us up and anyone we did was unlikely to have the best or latest tech. The same rational is why we have been enjoying "capability holidays" and didn't buy a Nimrod replacement for years, why the RAF did not have any replacements for the Sea Eagle anti-shipping or ALARM missiles. The Sea Eagle were scrapped as they were due for deep maintenance to the turbines which would have cost a total of £4 million for the entire fleet.

The fuselage was too small, the computers lacked power and overheated, so they used the fuel as coolant sink, the radar did not worked properly... a complete disaster !

Anything but the Comet / Nimrod, as they say.
- Vickers V1000 / VC7, from day one (that is, a Nimrod-VC7 rather than a Nimrod-Comet)
- Vickers VC10 (same as above)
- Airbus A300 or A310 (maybe the later was too late - first flight 1982, shame)

Or Short Belfast, damn it - tons of volume, and yes, Tu-126 Moss look-alike...

It is amazing (and despairing, too) to think the MR4 become an even larger quagmire than the AEW.3 - as if the later hasn't set the bar low enough, they managed to go even lower !

Geez...

I have this vision of the AEW.3 and MR.4 lamenting their respective fates, this way... ( 0:15 "LOWER !" - ROTFLMAO)

“- Nimrod MR.4: I'm pond scum. Well, lower actually. I'm like the… the fungus that feeds on pond scum.
- Nimrod AEW.3 : Lower. The pus that infects the mucous... that cruds up the fungus... that feeds on the pond scum.

Last edited:
I helped build Nimrods and worked on a major rebuild of one. I've even been close up to the AEW version before it was scrapped. Back in the 80's I did maintenance work on the Dan Air Comet 4's.
Yes I'm old.
But a more labour intensive to build, poorly conceived, maintenance unfriendly aircraft you would be unlikely to find.
I remember being told that as the fuel tanks were used as heat sinks there was a prohibition on flying beyond a certain fuel level.
As others have said, dump a 1940's design and go for the A300 and equip it with inflight refueling
I've got one of the the Wind Tunnel test models ... somewhere.

With the original MR version of the Nimrod the RAF wanted and got four engines, was there ever a requirement for four engines for the AEW aircraft....whatever fuselage it used.

With the original MR version of the Nimrod the RAF wanted and got four engines, was there ever a requirement for four engines for the AEW aircraft....whatever fuselage it used.
Even today with far more efficient and reliable engines ETOPS certified aircraft are limited to One hour on one engine distances. Nimrods exceed that so yes 4 engines.
Unless you want to limit the search radius?

Dog's breakfast. It amazes me that card-punch control or analog milling in the machine still was not a thing as British aviation entered into the jet age that deep, post Korea. I mean it is incredible that WWII lessons that should have been learned on the shop floor had not made it through in the 1950s.
Don't be amazed . A good craftsman can work 'dead on' if he has to. That should bring both shame and pride. Pride that we could produce such men and shame that we relied on them far too long.

Even today with far more efficient and reliable engines ETOPS certified aircraft are limited to One hour on one engine distances. Nimrods exceed that so yes 4 engines.
Unless you want to limit the search radius?
I believe you have your stats about ETOPS backwards there. Non-ETOPS aircraft were limited to 60 minutes on a single engine. That was then pushed to 90 minutes. After that you begin hitting ETOPS time limits of 120, 180, 240 minutes, etc. Today aircraft like the 777, 787, A330 and A350 are certified for up to 330 minutes on a single engine

I believe you have your stats about ETOPS backwards there. Non-ETOPS aircraft were limited to 60 minutes on a single engine. That was then pushed to 90 minutes. After that you begin hitting ETOPS time limits of 120, 180, 240 minutes, etc. Today aircraft like the 777, 787, A330 and A350 are certified for up to 330 minutes on a single engine
Hangs head in shame a vows not to rely on memory while on ah. Com and working at the same time.
But yes absolutely correct and that only reinforces the point I was clumsily trying to make.
Engine reliability is far and away better than it was.
So back in the day with Speys or something similar? 4 or more just to be safe. The Atlantic is Big!

Hangs head in shame a vows not to rely on memory while on ah. Com and working at the same time.
But yes absolutely correct and that only reinforces the point I was clumsily trying to make.
Engine reliability is far and away better than it was.
So back in the day with Speys or something similar? 4 or more just to be safe. The Atlantic is Big!
Oh completely agree. I wouldn't trust a twin jet before the CFM-56 was introduced for smaller aircraft and the JT9/CF6/RB211 generation of jets for wide bodies.