Hamiltons instead of Stuarts?

Deleted member 204809

Is it possible for James Hamilton, Duke of Chatellerault, to become King of Scotland at some point while also marrying Margaret Douglas instead of her marrying Lord Darnley? Assuming their children are stand-ins for OTL James Hamilton’s children, how would both kingdoms cope with his insane eldest son, who would become King of Scotland upon his father’s death in 1575? He would also presumably rule England for six years as he died in 1609. Would his brother simply rule in his stead?

Is it possible for James Hamilton, Duke of Chatellerault, to become King of Scotland at some point while also marrying Margaret Douglas instead of her marrying Lord Darnley? Assuming their children are stand-ins for OTL James Hamilton’s children, how would both kingdoms cope with his insane eldest son, who would become King of Scotland upon his father’s death in 1575? He would also presumably rule England for six years as he died in 1609. Would his brother simply rule in his stead?

He did marry a Margaret Douglas, but a different one from the one that married Lord Darnley.

Considering that he went insane thirteen years before his father died, I'm sure they'd find a way to get him out of the succession line in the meantime.

The Lennox Stewarts and the Hamiltons were rivals, with both claiming to be next in line for the throne in the event of the royal Stewarts going extinct.

Both derived their claim from Mary, a daughter of James II, who married James, 1st Lord Hamilton, and had two kids (who matter for the sake of this scenario):
  • Elizabeth, who married Matthew Stewart, 2nd Earl Lennox (-> grandparents of Margaret Douglas' OTL husband John, 4th Earl).
  • James, 1st Earl Arran (-> father of James, 2nd Earl Arran/Duke of Chatellherault).
James, 1st Earl Arran had some marital irregularities, and some held that this made his descendants illegitimate.

The dispute had a further layer of bitterness because John, 3rd Earl Lennox had been murdered by John Hamilton of Finnart (illegitimate son of 1st Earl Arran).

Anyway, the result is that a Civil War is not off the table when the royal Stewarts go extinct - depending on when this breaks/how the factions take shape/religious developments in Scotland etc. may preclude a marriage between *King James VI (Hamilton) and a niece of the King of England.

Wasn’t that James Jr proposed as a husband for Elizabeth Tudor in OTL? Could be interesting to see if that goes through in this TL.

Deleted member 204809

Anyway, the result is that a Civil War is not off the table when the royal Stewarts go extinct - depending on when this breaks/how the factions take shape/religious developments in Scotland etc. may preclude a marriage between *King James VI (Hamilton) and a niece of the King of England.
Well, I’d like to avoid a civil war. Firstly, avoid Arran’s marriage with the other Margaret Douglas. Secondly, have James V die of illness in 1436. The Earl of Lennox and his brother would be in France at the time and would have to sail back. Maybe their ship sinks? I don’t know.

In my time line, I have the Hamilton’s gain the throne following the childless deaths of James IV and John Duke of Albany.

Here is a link to my idea