Hale, Vladivostok!

I wonder about the plausibility of a dirty deal where elements of the GOP make a deal with Russia for a November surprise in 96 where Boggs story and LBJ assassinating JFK emerges right before the election with the hope of flinging enough shit at the Democrats to give just enough boost for Quayle to win. In return the Quayle Admin turns a blind eye to some Russian dealings in Eastern Europe.

There's certainly precedence for it in '80. The question IMO is if the powers that be in the contemporary GOP in '96 consider the bargain "worth it." Quayle hardly inspires the kind of fanaticism in his supporters that could overcome the charge of collusion with a foreign power. And is the JFK assassination story, which implicates Democrats long gone from the scene, enough to sully the public's perception of the whole party? Maybe, maybe not.

Boggs thinks he’s an Ace or at least a face card but he’s really a joker. Sometimes an ace but often unplayable or not actually that useful.

Unlike Boggs, his KGB handlers recognize this. To their potential dismay, they’ve lost control now that Cokie might actually call him and blow the story open.

Yep. It's 20 years since the Warren Commission and HSCA at this point. The impact won't be the same as it would be when the story's fresh. Still, it's a big deal - a former House Majority Leader presumed dead for decades emerging out of nowhere.

Very interesting premise. What role did Boggs play for the Soviets for two decades?

In short, not much of one. He's hidden out in Vladivostok by Soviet intelligence in the hopes that releasing him into the wild at a strategic point might cause embarrassment and chaos for the United States. But neither Brezhnev nor Andropov nor Gorby see much incentive to loose him on the world. Indeed, by the mid-late 1980s, it's unclear how much top Soviet brass pays much (if any) attention to the existence of their American guest off in the Far East, with some even viewing Boggs's potential discovery as more liability than asset.

Working on the next update, should have something late tonight.

There's certainly precedence for it in '80. The question IMO is if the powers that be in the contemporary GOP in '96 consider the bargain "worth it." Quayle hardly inspires the kind of fanaticism in his supporters that could overcome the charge of collusion with a foreign power. And is the JFK assassination story, which implicates Democrats long gone from the scene, enough to sully the public's perception of the whole party? Maybe, maybe not.

Yep. It's 20 years since the Warren Commission and HSCA at this point. The impact won't be the same as it would be when the story's fresh. Still, it's a big deal - a former House Majority Leader presumed dead for decades emerging out of nowhere.

In short, not much of one. He's hidden out in Vladivostok by Soviet intelligence in the hopes that releasing him into the wild at a strategic point might cause embarrassment and chaos for the United States. But neither Brezhnev nor Andropov nor Gorby see much incentive to loose him on the world. Indeed, by the mid-late 1980s, it's unclear how much top Soviet brass pays much (if any) attention to the existence of their American guest off in the Far East, with some even viewing Boggs's potential discovery as more liability than asset.

Working on the next update, should have something late tonight.

True the story isn't as fresh as it was and many of those who would be most damageable are dead or retired.

On the other hands a fair number of the Southern Democratic Congressmen/senators are still around from LBJ's days and could be painted with the brush of LBJ's actions. Course a lot of them are doomed anyways but still.

When he was still "Fresh" I wonder what info the Soviets pumped out of Boggs. Doubt that he would have been completely tight lipped and considering his position before his accident he had knowledge of value. Various US operations, US agents and intel sources, and that sort of thing.

Do we get to find out who or why there was an assassination plot against him?

Seems like the hint is that he knew things that contradicted the Warren Report. While LBJ might be dead by 1972 a lot of the folks who would have had to have helped him weren't and had a lot to lose. Hoover was mentioned in the same breath as LBJ in a phrase using the word "fighting" so sounds like LBJ and Hoover collaborated to murder JFK. And Hoover would have done a lot. If he'd been clearly connected to murdering a US president he wouldn't have just lost his seat in the FBI or even gone to prison. Good chance he'd have gone to the Electric Chair.

If this timeline is set in a universe where the conspiracy theories behind JFK's assassination are true, then it is very high concept because the "truth" as it were is merely a plot point that drives the alternate history as people react to it, how history is altered by those reactions are the important part, more than the conspirator cabal's machinations.

If it's a timeline where the conspiracy theories are untrue, but people act like they are, it is also very high concept because it examines the effects of how a widespread untrue narrative can shake a national society to its core, changing the course of history.

Either way this forum could use more high concept creativity.

If this timeline is set in a universe where the conspiracy theories behind JFK's assassination are true, then it is very high concept because the "truth" as it were is merely a plot point that drives the alternate history as people react to it, how history is altered by those reactions are the important part, more than the conspirator cabal's machinations.

If it's a timeline where the conspiracy theories are untrue, but people act like they are, it is also very high concept because it examines the effects of how a widespread untrue narrative can shake a national society to its core, changing the course of history.

Either way this forum could use more high concept creativity.
I'm really glad you had this reaction. I didn't really agonize too much over whether or not the information Boggs has is "true." It's true to him, that's for sure. 30+ years after the JFK assassination, with most of the likely "conspirators" dead, it's really more of a question of historical memory. How does the society where these things happened reckon with information that credibly supports or disrupts accepted narrative? How does the context in which a "bombshell" drops affect the scale of the blast?

True the story isn't as fresh as it was and many of those who would be most damageable are dead or retired.

On the other hands a fair number of the Southern Democratic Congressmen/senators are still around from LBJ's days and could be painted with the brush of LBJ's actions. Course a lot of them are doomed anyways but still.

When he was still "Fresh" I wonder what info the Soviets pumped out of Boggs. Doubt that he would have been completely tight lipped and considering his position before his accident he had knowledge of value. Various US operations, US agents and intel sources, and that sort of thing.

To your final point, there - great question. Boggs wants to hide in Vladivostok. Sure, he misses his family, his former life, the U.S., all of it, but people there wanted him dead. Who knows what ghastly fate might befall him if he tried to come back too soon? By 1995, he's 81 years old and not long for the world anyway, and that obviously shapes his thinking a bit. As for the Soviets, my view was that they might ask a lot of things we'd find relatively banal - once they realized he had only so much access to truly classified material (even House leaders are limited to a degree) they'd lean on him more to help assess/predict how the U.S. might react to certain foreign policy actions. I.E. "we're invading Afghanistan next week, how would you expect your people to respond?" or "our dossier suggests you might know something about George H.W. Bush, what can you tell us about him and how he looks at the world?" I'm not fully convinced of that, though.

Unrelated side note: I'm not sure what I expected researching JFK assassination conspiracy theories for this, but good grief. I didn't realize that one of the central tenets was that LBJ...evidently planned the whole thing the night before? Fine to ask reasonable questions of the official story, but even if you think it was some vast international conspiracy...how the heck was LBJ supposed to pull that off?

I'm really glad you had this reaction. I didn't really agonize too much over whether or not the information Boggs has is "true." It's true to him, that's for sure. 30+ years after the JFK assassination, with most of the likely "conspirators" dead, it's really more of a question of historical memory. How does the society where these things happened reckon with information that credibly supports or disrupts accepted narrative? How does the context in which a "bombshell" drops affect the scale of the blast?

To your final point, there - great question. Boggs wants to hide in Vladivostok. Sure, he misses his family, his former life, the U.S., all of it, but people there wanted him dead. Who knows what ghastly fate might befall him if he tried to come back too soon? By 1995, he's 81 years old and not long for the world anyway, and that obviously shapes his thinking a bit. As for the Soviets, my view was that they might ask a lot of things we'd find relatively banal - once they realized he had only so much access to truly classified material (even House leaders are limited to a degree) they'd lean on him more to help assess/predict how the U.S. might react to certain foreign policy actions. I.E. "we're invading Afghanistan next week, how would you expect your people to respond?" or "our dossier suggests you might know something about George H.W. Bush, what can you tell us about him and how he looks at the world?" I'm not fully convinced of that, though.

Unrelated side note: I'm not sure what I expected researching JFK assassination conspiracy theories for this, but good grief. I didn't realize that one of the central tenets was that LBJ...evidently planned the whole thing the night before? Fine to ask reasonable questions of the official story, but even if you think it was some vast international conspiracy...how the heck was LBJ supposed to pull that off?

The conspiracies have always confused me. Mostly because they all ignore the blindingly obvious seemingly potential conspiracies. Namely that since Oswald was a out and out communist (having defected to the USSR before they effectively kicked him out for being useless and actively trying to defect to Cuba at the time of his actions) the KGB or Castro had had JFK killed. I mean Oswald was a blatant communist with big grudges against the US. Him spending time in the USSR would seem to cement the theory even more.

Yet the theories are always that it was the CIA, LBJ, Conservatives, the Mafia, Gay's (seriously dipshits thought it was all a homosexual conspiracy), or generally right wing types.

It's like if people had become fixated on the idea that after John Wilkes Booth Murdered Lincoln that he killed Lincoln because he was a Canadian or British nationalist or something

The other irony here is that Boggs was nearly killed for his knowledge but it will be Boggs’ assassination attempt that is far more of the scandal in the 1990s than even conclusive proof LBJ killed JFK because that points to going after other high-ranking officials.

An LBJ-Hoover conspiracy would fit here and so would Nixon or a Nixon minion plotting to off a potential Democratic troublemaker while leaving evidence that was ambiguous or pointed to the Dems.

The other irony here is that Boggs was nearly killed for his knowledge but it will be Boggs’ assassination attempt that is far more of the scandal in the 1990s than even conclusive proof LBJ killed JFK because that points to going after other high-ranking officials.

An LBJ-Hoover conspiracy would fit here and so would Nixon or a Nixon minion plotting to off a potential Democratic troublemaker while leaving evidence that was ambiguous or pointed to the Dems.

I just came up with an idea for the whole "LBJ/Hoover killed Kennedy" actually being BS that the Nixon campaign planted and worked to make Boggs believe with the goal of having him go public and fuck up the Democrats badly. The bomb was intended to either not go off (and be found and scare Boggs into convincing him the fake compramat was real) or intended to just cause a little damage but not kill anyone but fill the same role.

Basically Boggs has spent the past twenty years hiding in fear because he thinks he knows something that's really bull.

Chapter 6 - The Assassin Unmasked
For those interested, the story of Jerry Max Pasley (at least the fact that he claimed to have been involved in Boggs's disappearance) is true, as is the fact that Boggs publicly called for Hoover's resignation.

(6)

January 3, 1996​

Boggs refused to allow a telephone in his Vladivostok flat. If you wanted to see him, you came to see him. The Old Mother was his only real friend in Vladivostok anyway, and the two of them lacked the common language to communicate with each other. His KGB (or, as he was told, they now preferred ‘FSB’) minders certainly didn’t like to use the phone, and in that regard, he respected them even more than the FBI.

Small wonder that the man who almost 25 years ago publicly called for the resignation of J. Edgar Hoover, who called the FBI’s wiretapping policies “the tactics of the Soviet Union and Hitler’s Gestapo,” who had a wire discovered in his house just a year before a bomb blast over the Gulf of Alaska un-personned him, felt safer with the Russian security services. At first, he worried that the KGB must’ve held a file on him. They did. He worried that the KGB knew all about the times he’d excoriated the Soviet Union on the House floor. They did. The first time he’d been brought before a Russian agent, he trembled with fear, imagining the possibility he’d be sent off to a prison labor camp. He wasn’t.

Indeed, the Russians treated him rather well, providing him with food, drink, a roof over his head, and the knowledge that he need only place a candle in the window if he felt threatened. What happened when he put a candle in the window was left unstated – Karaschuk would pantomime a man holding a rifle – and never learned. In all the years Boggs spent stuffed away in Vladivostok, neither Hoover’s goons nor the U.S. Marine Corps ever came looking for him. Even the Russians stopped by less and less with each passing year, though they remained kind hosts. That was the other reason why Hal Boggs never needed a telephone in Vladivostok: no one was calling.

In January of 1996, twenty-one years after his arrival in the Russian Far East, the phones began to ring for Hal Boggs again. They delivered the two biggest pieces of news Boggs received in decades.

The first knock was Karaschuk, just after the new year. Boggs, still in a ratty pair of slippers, offered the man a drink. He refused.

“It’s not even noon, Boggs.”

“It’s the new year.”

“The new year was two days ago. Good god, this place is getting filthy,” Karaschuk said, kicking a pile of newspapers aside.

“What d’you want?”

Karaschuk flicked open a lighter and took a long drag from a cigarette.

“They found the bastard who killed you.”

Boggs flushed white. He stared at Karaschuk, unable to stammer out a single syllable. His lips contorted in the shape of “sunuvabitch,” but no sounds emerged.

“You familiar with a Jerry Max Pasley?” Karaschuk asked. Boggs shook his head in disapproval.

“Well, he killed you. 1972. He’s told investigators over there – he’s in prison in Arizona for another murder – that some Mafia lieutenant handed him a device in a locked briefcase and told him to take it to Anchorage. Said ‘something big’ was about to happen. Said years later he got drunk with the man who took the briefcase from him and the guy told him the briefcase had a bomb in it. You Americans, you cough up your darkest secrets when you hit the bottle. Anyways, the best part? Your FBI is trying to quiet the whole thing up.”

Boggs set his drink down and exhaled, staring through Karaschuk. He laid his head on the palms of his hands, emotionless.

“What, Boggs? I thought you’d be happy to know we’ve found him.”

“It can’t be true,” he said.

Karaschuk smiled and let out a short cackle. “It’s ancient history anyway, grandpa. The bastard is in prison. You want us to send someone to poison his breakfast? Somehow, I don’t think the big man will sign off on that one. Anyways, you need to get out more. Go to the pub or go play chess. You don’t need to know Russian to do that.”

The words sailed over Boggs’s head like the Jetstream. He sat and muttered to himself.

“Hoover…a bastard…no good, rotten devil…not a Mafia bastard…he’d never…too far…too far…couldn’t be…”

His Russian minder turned to exit through the front.

“Anyways, we should discuss your presidential election sometime. The first primaries are coming up soon. We have word that the Arkansan is leading your Democrats. Nonetheless, trouble ahead. There are women…they have things to say about him. Same ones as those years ago. And good opponents! Mr. Gore again. And a basketball player, well, basketball player-turned-Senator. I bet you can predict how it all plays out, no? You were spot on in ’92.”

The second knock at the door, which arrived several days later, delivered even more seismic news. It was again Karaschuk, but this time, a young woman joined him. She wore a long, gray trenchcoat and carried a large file under her right arm. Boggs had never seen her before.

“Boggs, I’m sorry. I’d have come sooner, but the Chechen bastards opened up on one of our outposts and it demanded reprisal. In any event, this is Ludmila,” he said, gesturing at the woman. “Don’t be alarmed when you hear her British accent. Her family’s lived in Manchester since she was very young. She is with us.”

With that, he turned to the woman.

“Tell him.”

“Mr. Boggs…Congressman Boggs?”

The old man sighed.

“Hale’s fine.”

“Hale, for some years now, I’ve been posing as a public relations professional and working through American contacts to find a way for you to tell your story when the time is right. Unfortunately, it’s been hard to get anyone to believe us…until a few months ago, when an old answering machine I’d set up in London captured this.”

She removed a tape recorder from her file and clicked the ‘play’ button.

“Hello? Yes, this is Cokie Roberts, ABC News. Listen, I don’t know who you are, and I’ve heard from my fair share of crackpots over the years who’ve claimed to know something about my father, but, well, something you told me, er, caught my attention. I’m willing to hear you out. Just call me…”

Not even a moment passed after Ludmila clicked off the tape recorder before Boggs rushed to her, grasping for the play button. Karaschuk held him back.

“Please…please…let me hear it again. It’s been so long. You don’t understand. Please.”

Boggs’s pleading broke into fitful sobs. He wept into Karaschuk’s jacket, mashing his glasses against the man’s’ chest. Karaschuk reached out with an awkward arm, tapped Boggs on the back and gently pushed him away.

“Hale,” he said in a whisper, “you can see her. She is coming here.”

The old man thrust himself away so fast his glasses fell to the ground.

“What?”

“She comes to Vladivostok next month. To see her papa.”

Last edited:
30+ years after the JFK assassination, with most of the likely "conspirators" dead, it's really more of a question of historical memory. How does the society where these things happened reckon with information that credibly supports or disrupts accepted narrative? How does the context in which a "bombshell" drops affect the scale of the blast?

Not to get too Current Events, but the fact that contemporary conspiracy theories invoke the memory of JFK Jr. goes to show that the Kennedy family and the myth of Camelot lives on to this day, largely because of Boomers. So in the early '90s, hell yeah the Boomers are going to be invested.

And best of all:

JFK is a 1991 American epic political thriller film that examines the events leading to the assassination of John F. Kennedy in 1963 and alleged cover-up through the eyes of former New Orleans district attorney Jim Garrison. Garrison filed charges against New Orleans businessman Clay Shaw for his alleged participation in a conspiracy to assassinate Kennedy, for which Lee Harvey Oswald was found responsible by the Warren Commission.

The film was directed by Oliver Stone, adapted by Stone and Zachary Sklar from the books On the Trail of the Assassins (1988) by Jim Garrison and Crossfire: The Plot That Killed Kennedy (1989) by Jim Marrs. Stone described this account as a "counter-myth" to the Warren Commission's "fictional myth."

Still floating around the American consciousness. There will be conspiracy theorists, perhaps counter-theorists?, who will allege that it was a Soviet conspiracy to drop Boggs at such a perfect time, as well as with the timing coinciding with H.W.'s unpopular presidency just finishing up (see below).

As for the Soviets, my view was that they might ask a lot of things we'd find relatively banal - once they realized he had only so much access to truly classified material (even House leaders are limited to a degree) they'd lean on him more to help assess/predict how the U.S. might react to certain foreign policy actions. I.E. "we're invading Afghanistan next week, how would you expect your people to respond?" or "our dossier suggests you might know something about George H.W. Bush, what can you tell us about him and how he looks at the world?" I'm not fully convinced of that, though.
Does it lead to any butterflies in Soviet policy?

even if you think it was some vast international conspiracy...how the heck was LBJ supposed to pull that off?

From a pop cultural perspective, these days it seems like George Bush the Elder gets more play. He was in the CIA, and he supposedly was in Dallas that day, and refused to admit to. Which, uh, should drop a bombshell to the presidential race if that gets brought up. There was also the weird Bush connection to the Hinckley family.

But there's a ton of different theories pointing at different perspectives. They're meant to be wildly contradictory at points, otherwise you get this.

va815JK.png

The conspiracies have always confused me. Mostly because they all ignore the blindingly obvious seemingly potential conspiracies. Namely that since Oswald was a out and out communist (having defected to the USSR before they effectively kicked him out for being useless and actively trying to defect to Cuba at the time of his actions) the KGB or Castro had had JFK killed. I mean Oswald was a blatant communist with big grudges against the US. Him spending time in the USSR would seem to cement the theory even more.

Yet the theories are always that it was the CIA, LBJ, Conservatives, the Mafia, Gay's (seriously dipshits thought it was all a homosexual conspiracy), or generally right wing types.

It's like if people had become fixated on the idea that after John Wilkes Booth Murdered Lincoln that he killed Lincoln because he was a Canadian or British nationalist or something

The communist angle does come up, but it's relatively less sexy to have Soviet or Cubans kill JFK compared to say someone ostensibly on his side that he wronged, such as the Cuban exiles he "betrayed" at the Bay of Pigs. As for Oswald's leanings, his career was so bizarre and he was so weirdly unpersecuted that rather than being an actual genuine communist, he could be spun as either a deep cover CIA (or whatever) agent, or an asset they strung along. For their own purposes.

There's a lot of other lesser theories as well. I'm rather fond of the "South Vietnamese angry at JFK's betrayal" theory.

Funnily enough, there are indeed Lincoln assassination conspiracy theories.

Last edited:
Not to get too Current Events, but the fact that contemporary conspiracy theories invoke the memory of JFK Jr. goes to show that the Kennedy family and the myth of Camelot lives on to this day, largely because of Boomers. So in the early '90s, hell yeah the Boomers are going to be invested.
Totally. I agree. I probably sounded like I was minimizing the impact by calling it "historical memory," but the reality is, the way a society perceives what happened is so much more impactful than what actually did...so the revelations will be huge. I think you're gonna like where this is going. I'm ultimately planning to swing for the fences a bit with this one, but w/e, that's part of the fun.

No major ones that I've thought of yet. Boggs provides some reassurance on détente, essentially giving the Soviets some comfort that the U.S. won't double-cross them if they act honestly on arms controls. He's generally pleased by glasnost and perestroika and assesses that the U.S. will view those moves positively too. But he's very consumed with his own past at this point, and the Soviets are fine with him serving the purpose he does - sitting in wait until the time is right to make things uncomfortable for their U.S. adversaries. They do like to talk politics and elections with him, as you see in the most recent snippet. But they mostly follow their own strategy and keep him handy.

And best of all:

Still floating around the American consciousness. There will be conspiracy theorists, perhaps counter-theorists?, who will allege that it was a Soviet conspiracy to drop Boggs at such a perfect time, as well as with the timing coinciding with H.W.'s unpopular presidency just finishing up (see below).

From a pop cultural perspective, these days it seems like George Bush the Elder gets more play. He was in the CIA, and he supposedly was in Dallas that day, and refused to admit to. Which, uh, should drop a bombshell to the presidential race if that gets brought up. There was also the weird Bush connection to the Hinckley family.

But there's a ton of different theories pointing at different perspectives. They're meant to be wildly contradictory at points, otherwise you get this.

va815JK.png

The communist angle does come up, but it's relatively less sexy to have Soviet or Cubans kill JFK compared to say someone ostensibly on his side that he wronged, such as the Cuban exiles he "betrayed" at the Bay of Pigs. As for Oswald's leanings, his career was so bizarre and he was so weirdly unpersecuted that rather than being an actual genuine communist, he could be spun as either a deep cover CIA (or whatever) agent, or an asset they strung along. For their own purposes.

There's a lot of other lesser theories as well. I'm rather fond of the "South Vietnamese angry at JFK's betrayal" theory.

Funnily enough, there are indeed Lincoln assassination conspiracy theories.

It is amazing that and out and out communist former defector to the USSR was able to actually get a job working for the Texan government in the early 1960s. Frankly amazing he didn't get burned out of his home.

It is amazing that and out and out communist former defector to the USSR was able to actually get a job working for the Texan government in the early 1960s. Frankly amazing he didn't get burned out of his home.
Sometimes being known to be untrustworthy and an overt enemy sympathizer is less of an obstacle than being suspected by gossip and busybodies.

Chapter 7 - Family Again
Longer update here. Next one...hopefully tonight (U.S. EST)

(7)

April 29, 1996​

The signpost, marking the eastern terminus of the Trans-Siberian Railroad, was the first thing Cokie Roberts saw when she stepped off the train in Vladivostok. Atop the sign sat the imperial double eagle, that old forbidden symbol of Russian power yanked down in the Soviet days, restored to its former perch. Indeed, the signs of revived imperial splendor were everywhere to be found from the moment she stepped into this mysterious city. Reliefs of country scenes plucked straight from folktales adorned the walls, recently uncovered and restored from the bland plaster of the Soviet era. A grand steam locomotive sat on the platform, and for a moment, those viewing it could almost picture the imperial dignitaries disembarking in their finest dress regalia to inspect the Tsar’s Pacific Fleet.

In the old days, one could hop a train here in Vladivostok and be in Paris in a hair under two weeks. It’d taken almost that long to get Cokie here from Moscow. Flights would’ve been far easier but risked too much unwanted attention from the western authorities. The FSB spared no effort to conceal the American’s arrival in the Far East, vanishing her outside of Berlin, disguising her, slipping her onto a train at Yaroslavsky railway station under clandestine guard, and occasionally switching her train as she made the long venture eastward to the port city. She did not mind; after all, the conclusion of the trip would be a visit to meet the father she long thought to be dead, and on the way, she might gain a good sense of what the new Russia looked like from the inside, something few of her counterparts in the United States could boast.

On her first day in the city, Cokie wandered through the shops and markets as she waited for a signal to move to her suite in the Hotel Vladivostok. She was anxious to meet her father, but several steps remained. She’d been informed that he’d been in the care of a very senior Russian official, though her ‘travel guides’ as they referred to themselves would not tell her who this official was. He was traveling to Vladivostok personally to meet with her – to vet her, one last time, before granting access to the man she’d assumed dead since she’d been almost fresh out of school – and would not hesitate to send her back if he felt she hadn’t earned the right.

Arriving at the hotel with a bag full of ceramic trinkets – some Russian, others, the cheap Chinese knockoffs that flooded the markets – she was told by the concierge that she could take anything to her room, “except explosives.” She greeted the news with nervous laughter, assuming it to be some form of grim Russian humor until five plainclothes policemen with dogs burst into her room later in the afternoon to search for any signs of weapons or bombs. At last, around eight thirty, a knock came at the door. She was to meet her contact at a restaurant not far from the hotel. She received only a business card with an address.

As she approached the front door, it became clear why. Emblazoned across the sign hanging proudly over the entrance were the words “RESTAURANT PYONGYANG.” I’m meeting my Russian spy helpers at the North Korean restaurant, she thought with a smile, I knew I always wanted to be a Bond villain.

The interior was even more surreal. Korean men wearing red flag pins decorated with the visages of Kim Il-Sung and Kim Jong-Il, the new leader of the DPRK, downed vodka heartily at the bar, talked, and sang. Women in traditional dress nervously paced to and fro among tables where burly Russian men in tracksuits and tacky pinstripes sat. In the corner, men in sunglasses, sportcoats and turtlenecks with sunken briefcases stood at attention. Whatever happened in here, it was about as far from Cokie’s experience as the surface of the moon. She felt her Russian hosts were sending her a message: you are not safe here, not without our protection.

“Mrs. Roberts, please, follow me,” a Korean man in a waiter’s outfit told her, gesturing to a door in the rear of the main room. She followed him, only belatedly realizing that two more men in sunglasses with sunken briefcases followed her, stopping at the door to stand guard. The doors flung open to reveal a single round table with a man seated across from an empty place.

“Ah, Cokie Roberts! Sit down! Sit down! Please, you must be exhausted from your journey. Wine? I can have them bring us a bottle.”

She shook her head.

“I’m fine, thanks. A little surprised that you decided to bring me to little Pyongyang for this.”

“Hah!” the man exclaimed, lighting up a cigarette. “I would imagine that some of the more exotic elements of Vladivostok life are quite a shock to you. Tell me, Mrs. Roberts, have you ever had any Korean food?”

She paused from sipping water.

“Yes, I knew a family in the consulate during my earlier days at NPR. Cabbage, rice, that sort of thing. I enjoyed it.”

He raised his brow.

“But have you ever had North Korean food?” he asked, and she shook her head no.

“The secret ingredient is desperation. You see, the southerners, they adulterate the spice. Too weak. Northerners don’t have the spice often enough, so they make it count. It’s amazing what a little deprivation can do for quality, no?”

Servers delivered a flurry of small plates full of rice, beans, seaweed, cabbage, and a variety of other items Cokie hadn’t seen before. The Russian flung a clump of rice into his mouth and continued talking, unconcerned that he spoke as he chewed.

“You are probably wondering who I am. That is fair. My name is Aleksandr Karaschuk. I am…a special advisor to President Zhirinovsky. I have also been one of your father’s closest friends and confidantes for years.”

She shook her head in disbelief.

“My father wasn’t exactly the type to make friends with KGB agents, Mr. Karaschuk. He had enough problems with our own law enforcement, let alone the Kremlin’s secret state police.”

His grin extended ear to ear as he tapped ash into a tray emblazoned with a Korean Workers’ Party slogan.

“He certainly has a mind of his own, I’ll say that. I’ve grown quite fond of him. Very protective, you see.”

Cokie placed her fork on the table.

“He’s not your asset.”

Setting his cigarette down, the Russian leaned forward and glared straight into her eyes.

“Your father arrived here in the summer of 1975, just over two decades ago. Resourceful man. A fishing vessel picked him up in the nick of time just off the coast of Alaska. He’d have frozen to death quite quickly if he’d been out there too long clinging to that scrap of a Cessna. Hitchhiked his way all the way to Hokkaido and hid out for a few years before he worried that the Japanese were onto him. That’s when he came onto our radar.”

He gestured for a guard to bring him a folder. He opened the folder, studying its contents but revealing nothing to Cokie.

“Your father has quite a story to tell. Quite a story. There are many in your country who would love to help him tell it. If you wish to be the one, I will need certain assurances. I can always send you back from here empty handed. No one in the United States will ever believe you and you will never see him in the flesh.”

She steeled herself, glancing over the guard. A sunken briefcase at the back of the room revealed the outline of a submachine gun.

“I’m a journalist, Mr. Karaschuk. I’m not sure what sort of deal you’re intending to strike, here, but I’m not open for business…”

“There are several truths we must establish!” he cut in, face reddened with anxious fury, “your father has wanted for nothing, here. He has not been imprisoned. In fact, he has been free to leave the entire time. When your government wanted him dead, ours made sure he survived. He will not be a tool of American propaganda!”

She folded her hands, neatly placing a napkin beneath them. If any of that’s true, she thought, Daddy will be able to convey it to me. I can’t believe he wanted to stay in Russia all these years, so far away from us, so far away from his beloved House. I will trust Daddy, and I will tell this Russian whatever I need to tell him to see Daddy again.

“Fine,” she said. “I have no intention of turning this into an international incident. I just want to see my father and know he’s okay. Any interest I have in storytelling is strictly secondary. Regardless, it would be unethical for me to participate in a story involving my own father, especially when he’s supposedly been dead for twenty-five years.”

Karaschuk stood up, snapping his fingers for the servers to remove his plates. He forked a lump of cabbage from a plate as it was whisked away, then lazily tossed his utensil to the table.

“Eat up, then rest up. We take you to him tomorrow.”

~~​

Eight hours on a plane, two-and-a-half weeks in a car and train, one strange night at a North Korean restaurant at the end of the world, and a long, frigid morning were worth it for Cokie Roberts if somehow she could see her father again. She’d had her doubts that it was really him; the Russians were known for these types of sleight-of-hand tricks. But when she saw the old, rounded face, the jowls buried beneath the weight of years, and the tear that ran down his face, she nearly collapsed with joy.

Daddy is alive.

For hours, they circled the Ploschad Bortsov Revolutsky, in the shadows of a memorial to the Red fighters who captured Vladivostok for the Soviets during the Civil War. In so many ways, he hadn’t lost a step. He poked and pried for the latest news of Congress and the race for the White House. Politics was their blood. She covered it, he lived it.

“Now that’s just it,” she said. “Clinton should be dogged by the old Broaddrick allegations, or at least you’d think, but he’s been relentlessly on-message. Over and over again, it’s about getting the guys out of Somalia and focusing on matters at home. He’s almost been able to outflank Gore and Bradley to the left, or at least create that perception. It’s all ‘we need to spend less time focusing on Mogadishu and more time focusing on Michigan.’ It’s a hit, and there just isn’t the same energy for Gore’s and Bradley’s message.”

He laughed as he held onto her arm to steady himself, breath floating in the cold spring air.

“Gore’s just like his father, sounds like. Liberal as hell, but damned boring, too. I think I woulda’ liked this Clinton, indiscretions aside. Doesn’t seem afraid to grab the bull by the balls.”

She smiled. “Yes, well, and he’s a hit with younger voters. You’d love this: he got on MTV a few weeks ago and played the saxophone, which sent the crowd wild. Gore’s wife can’t stand rap music, which hasn’t helped him a bit either.”

He looked dumbfounded. “M…T what? Who’d make music out of a damn rap sheet?”

She winced. She might never catch him up on all he’d missed living off of boiled eggs and week-old news updates on videotapes. That had to be okay.

“Daddy, I’ve got to ask you. In all these years…why didn’t you give us a sign? You do realize Momma’s going to kill you for this, don’t you?”

He halted in his tracks, heavy of breath, and sat down at the base of a statue.

“I…I just…I don’t know why…you’ve got to forgive me. I thought Hoover would kill you, too.”

Hoover?” she asked, “that’s who you think crashed your plane?”

“Corrine, that plane did not crash. It exploded. There was a bomb on board, in a briefcase someone handed to Jonz. We got up for ten, I don’t know, maybe fifteen minutes at most and the damn thing erupted. Flung something at me – might’ve been a seat – and tossed me straight down into the water. That boat wasn’t there, I’d have been dead within the hour. No way Don or Nick or Nick’s man made it out.”

She held him against her shoulder, patting him on the head as she stared off into space, half expecting to wake from a wild dream.

“But how do you figure Hoover out of all of that? How does he decide he’s going to kill you? I get that you wanted him gone, but Daddy, you’ve got to admit it’s a leap.”

He wrenched himself free from her arms.

“A leap? A leap?! Corinne, do you understand just what was in my jacket pocket that morning? A whole mess’a stuff. And yeah, the water damaged some of it, but I brought what’s left here so you could see it yourself.”

He removed a stack of articles from his jacket. The first, a black-and-white photo of three men. She thought, knowing that this conversation would eventually turn to the Kennedy assassination, that it would be the now-famous “image” of CIA agent E. Howard Hunt allegedly standing on the grassy knoll on the day of the killing. It was not. Instead, it was an image of Hunt, plain as day, with Cord Meyer, another CIA agent whose wife, allegedly among JFK’s mistresses, was the victim of an unsolved murder.

“Turn it over,” Boggs said.

The back read plainly: REUNION. NOV ’66.

“Now, this,” he said, producing a piece of paper torn from a notepad. Despite the faded ink and burnt edges, it remained legible.

DIVERT ITN’Y DALLAS. BIG EVENT THERE.

It carried the unmistakable signature of Lyndon Baines Johnson.

“We don’t have much time,” he said. “I’ll keep it quick. Johnson had Kennedy killed. He enlisted a group of wild CIA sons of bitches to do it. There was a meeting in August ’63 in Miami. One of the agents – Hunt, the gent in this photo – he went there. They said it out loud, Corinne. They said they were going to kill Kennedy.”

“Daddy, there’s no way to prove that…”

“Wrong! You’re wrong! You’re all wrong. They thought they’d swept the room clean, swept Hunt clean, but they didn’t! He set up a damn wire! But once he realized that they were killing people who said anything, he destroyed every copy of the tape he had. Every copy except for one – one he didn’t even know about. Hoover and the CIA bastards found out, that's why they made sure he went down for Watergate. That’s why they wanted me dead.”

She stared at him in disbelief. She knew he’d been a heavy drinker, and she’d heard the rumors about the drugs. He miraculously survived a tragic accident. He had to believe it was all for something. This can’t be true. It would’ve surfaced by now…

“Corinne, there’s a little park on the west end of Alexandria, nothing more than a few swing sets and a water fountain. It's down by this street here, Four Mile Run," he said, pointing to a little folded map under his other papers. "If they haven’t built over it, go to the oak tree at the south end of the park. Dig at the south face of the tree. You will find the last copy of the tape. I promise you, on my honor as your Daddy.”

She just held him in her eyes. It was enough to know he was real, alive. She thought he was probably delusional, a tired, broken old man who’d seen one too many traumas. But he’d lived. He’d lived for her – to tell her this truth.

She would dig.

Last edited:
Beautifully written section, liked the inclusion of Little Pyongyang and the mention of North Korean desperation seems resonant- maybe an allusion to Boggs' state of mind, or the culture of post-Soviet Russia. Or perhaps both. The evidence is intriguing, did any of this exist in OTL? I wonder what they could be about if they had nothing to do with the assassination. Really curious to see what Cokie digs up.

That’s startling proof if it’s real. The boomer generation’s cynicism towards will make millennials distrust for the financial system post Enron and 2008 seem like small missteps once this gets revealed.

This would have the same effect on the Boomers as finding out conclusive proof 9/11 was an inside job would on millennials or that Pearl Harbor was an American false flag operation to get us into a war for the Greatest Generation. It’s that serious and visceral.

As a side note, without a Clinton presidency, Nixon’s reputation is still in the gutter or only viewed positively by Republicans and not Democrats.

The evidence is intriguing, did any of this exist in OTL? I
Sort of. Hunt kind of "deathbed confessed" to a scheme involving LBJ and the CIA, but the smoking guns I've dropped in here are essentially manufactured. IRL, Hunt basically scribbled a bunch of names on a napkin and connected them to LBJ. There's also apparently tape of him telling the story of how it all went down, but that was of course decades after these events. The picture of three people at the grassy knoll that some swear Hunt's pictured in is real and apparently the subject of a lot of speculation. My standard for including fictionalized detail was "is it plausible that this piece of evidence could've existed and Hunt just never told anyone/thought he'd destroyed it/etc."

That’s startling proof if it’s real. The boomer generation’s cynicism towards will make millennials distrust for the financial system post Enron and 2008 seem like small missteps once this gets revealed.
Yep. Of course, what's "real" and what isn't will be in the eye of the beholder, but the argument alone would be seismic. One of the things that keeps sticking out to me as I play around with this is how Boggs's existence alone is powerful evidence, perhaps even the most powerful evidence available. Tapes can be faked, photos can be misinterpreted, but the fact that the former Majority Leader thought dead for 25+ years turns up alive with a compelling story of an attempt on his life because of what he knew...that's pretty hard to ignore.