Hadrian's Consolidation - reboot

Hecatee

Donor
Wonderful timeline. Sad to see it end but a fitting conclusion. What are your writing plans now Hecatee?
Good question ! In fact I just got a second short story published (availlable digitally in French at https://www.7switch.com/fr/ebook/9782364754485/anthologie-arts-et-fantastique ) about a young roman slave helped by the Gods in the making of a mosaic, which comes after my first published short story which was an uchrony about Pliny surviving the Vesuvius eruption (paper only, https://www.amazon.fr/Dimension-Uchronie-2-Bertrand-Campeis/dp/1612278701/ ). I'm thinking of trying to get one or two novels published (one is a stranded in time story about an archeologist, an historian, an anthropologist and a nurse stuck in Alesia at the time of Nero, the other is a more contemporary novel about a man's evolution in our strange world...).
As for this message board, I might try to reboot another of my old timelines :

- I asked what would happen if Russia abided by Tilsit and Napoleon went all the way against the Ottomans
- I wondered what a better defense of Eben Emael in the early days of WW2 could do to the German invasion
- What if the Spanish colonization of South America followed a Roman patterns thanks to an early discovery of an important roman text in Spain ?
- What if Mussolini and Japan collaborate early on thanks to Balbo's talks with an Italian orientalist and call upon the competences of PVilfredo Pareto ?
- A powerful hellenistic Nabatean state around the period of the Maccabees' war
- A different space history thanks to Asimov and Clarke and Heinlein working together to quickstart space research in the West
- A new Spartan state thanks to an early illiryan invasion of Macedonia during Antigonos III's war against Kleomenes, the later using the opportunity to lock down the Peloponesus
- Chiang prepares from 1934 on to fight against Japan

What do you think of those ideas ?

SuperZtar64

Banned
- A different space history thanks to Asimov and Clarke and Heinlein working together to quickstart space research in the West
ROMANS IN SPACE ROMANS IN SPACE ROMANS IN SPACE ROMANS IN SPACE ROMANS IN SPACE ROMANS IN SPACE I think that would be a really cool idea.

The best Rome timeline or in fact alt Rome book that I have ever read period.............................................

my vote.............
though on another note I would think that given your obvious historical wunderknowledge and your place of birth/living something on the lines of a 'what if the kings of Rome never fell' or 'Augustus (or another emp or your choice lol) ISOT into the mind of Napoleon in 1789.' hey scratch that I like the sound of that last one myself, but hey you might be a better choice to write though......

Hecatee

Donor
ROMANS IN SPACE ROMANS IN SPACE ROMANS IN SPACE ROMANS IN SPACE ROMANS IN SPACE ROMANS IN SPACE

Actually I made sure not to mention Romans in space although... in fact... they are !

The best Rome timeline or in fact alt Rome book that I have ever read period.............................................

my vote.............
though on another note I would think that given your obvious historical wunderknowledge and your place of birth/living something on the lines of a 'what if the kings of Rome never fell' or 'Augustus (or another emp or your choice lol) ISOT into the mind of Napoleon in 1789.' hey scratch that I like the sound of that last one myself, but hey you might be a better choice to write though......

Thanks !
About an ISOT, I've thougth about it but I feel it is somewhat of a cheap trick

For the SF idea, here is what I had in mind : https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...to-space-a-literary-driven-space-race.464277/

Hecate this is an awesome timeline/online book. Its been a pleasure to read it, sad to see it go, but onwards and upwards. This is something all of us alternate history writers should aspire to reach.

Loved this timeline to bits @Hecatee and I am sad it is ending. I won't lie I hope the fancy strikes you some day to come back to it. But nonetheless I am very grateful for what we got, especially the epilogue.

This timeline is very realistic and above all enjoyable. I mean who doesn't like a good wank? ;) You crafted a very believable alt!world. I loved pretty much each and every update, including this last one. The only downside was your English but that never bothered me personally.

One thing that felt off to me was why would Ultramar accept the no ships thing. The basic idea makes sense, the only thing that can stop this Rome is Rome. But I am sure they would have massive resentment over not being allowed to sail and would either amass a fleet over time in some cove or use planes when time came for it to challenge Roman naval power.
The future you crafted is otherwise strange and interesting. Almost like an ISOT scenario where there is advanced tech but not enough time and people to claim the whole world.

Anyway amazing work friend, I like all of your future plans. No joke, they all seem fresh and interesting to me. Way too many Brit/Ameriwanks on this board but I guess that makes sense given the demographics. Still good to see new ideas. I especially liked the Spanish and Russian ideas however.

Take care and best of luck in your future endeavors ;)

Thanks for such a great story @Hecatee it is been a blast to read.

What if Mussolini and Japan collaborate early on thanks to Balbo's talks with an Italian orientalist and call upon the competences of Vilfredo Pareto ?
A different space history thanks to Asimov and Clarke and Heinlein working together to quickstart space research in the West
A new Spartan state thanks to an early illiryan invasion of Macedonia during Antigonos III's war against Kleomenes, the later using the opportunity to lock down the
These three look cool to me.

Hecatee

Donor
Loved this timeline to bits @Hecatee and I am sad it is ending. I won't lie I hope the fancy strikes you some day to come back to it. But nonetheless I am very grateful for what we got, especially the epilogue.

This timeline is very realistic and above all enjoyable. I mean who doesn't like a good wank? ;) You crafted a very believable alt!world. I loved pretty much each and every update, including this last one. The only downside was your English but that never bothered me personally.

One thing that felt off to me was why would Ultramar accept the no ships thing. The basic idea makes sense, the only thing that can stop this Rome is Rome. But I am sure they would have massive resentment over not being allowed to sail and would either amass a fleet over time in some cove or use planes when time came for it to challenge Roman naval power.
The future you crafted is otherwise strange and interesting. Almost like an ISOT scenario where there is advanced tech but not enough time and people to claim the whole world.

Anyway amazing work friend, I like all of your future plans. No joke, they all seem fresh and interesting to me. Way too many Brit/Ameriwanks on this board but I guess that makes sense given the demographics. Still good to see new ideas. I especially liked the Spanish and Russian ideas however.

Take care and best of luck in your future endeavors ;)
Thanks for the detailled feedback, that's one of the things I like the most in the interraction with the readers :)
I hope that at least my English became better as time went on, this story has also been a way for me to work in the langage (as I spend most of my time speaking either my native French or Flemish, English being a distant third)

The issue for the Ultramarine is that they have been repeateadly bashed by the roman navy (gunboat policy) in various skirmishes, also while they started with the Roman tech level they did not have the infrastructure and the manpower to evolve as quickly, so they never went that way and became per force somewhat isolationist until the airships allowed them a degree of contact with the rest of the world.

Overall I wanted to create a strange new future, but also one where Rome was not synonimous with the planet. What we have here is a strange kind of super Spanish Empire or Portugal, with a few big colonies (Sri Lanka, Taïwan, South Africa/Africa meridionalis, Ultramar until they got kicked out, ...) and a network that keeps everyone else in their net but without the means or the will to conquer them all. This means other countries can develop but never really challenge Rome. Some nations such as China are mostly immune to Rome too, but that's as good as it gets, Rome is untouchable except by ICBM type weapons, which are not a part of this world gone in a different way...

Thank you very much for giving the TL a proper ending and Best wishes to your next endeavor!

I have to ask... those german limes being moved back east multiple times.... pretty please? What about SE Asia and Australia?

Hecatee

Donor
What do the ranks of the modern Roman Army look like?

The old titles have been kept, but the army is by now fully professionalized :

- Tesserarius (corporal)
- Optio (sergent)
- Centurion (second lieutenant)
- Centurion pilus prior (first lieutenant) - centurion of the first century of a cohort
- Centurion primi ordines (captain) - centurion of the first century of the first cohort
- Tribune (lieutenant-colonel)
- Praefectus Castrorum (colonel)
- Legatus (general)
- above ranks : 2 levels of generals, no more.

I have to ask... those german limes being moved back east multiple times.... pretty please? What about SE Asia and Australia?
Volga river border.

SE Asia : Singapoor is a Roman island like Sri Lanka or Long Island, as are the Riau islands, Hainan (the Han got quicked out by the Li during a period of weakness and the Romans swooped in and managed what the Chineses had been unable to do, namely tame the interior of the island thanks to genocidal practices, thus getting control of the pearl industry which they manage not to overexploit) and Taiwan. But their largest possession in the area is Sumatra, conquered in around 50 years of bloody campaigns following piracy issues. Thet did not go any further East for a long time except for some enterprising merchants, and did not develop any interest in Australia or New Zealand.

Also, given they did not control the gold and silver production of central and south America (only suzerainty and tribute) they never developped the OTL silver trade with China and have thus not had much interest for the Philipinne. It is through traders and indirect contacts that the people of the Phillipine, Indonesia and New Zealand evolved toward a more modern type of society through purely internal political evolutions.

The growth of the native population in New Zealand made them turn to the sea more and more and made Maoris the conqueror of Australia with colonies of the East coast and the aborigenes keeping to the center and the West of the large continent-island where they kept a very traditionnal lifestyle (think Amazonia style situation) until exploration for raw materials and mining became too interesting to foreigner and caused the slow decline of the natives by the time of the epilogue although in the last few decades Roman ethnographers have visited them and described their cultures (Roman ethnographer are a common sight in many land since around 50 years).

As for mainland SE Asia, a dynamic of kingdoms and Empires try to benefit from the Chinese and their need for food on one side, and from the Roman technologies on the other. Ankgor will not be built unfortunately, as the Khmer kingdom will not appear in its OTL form and its arts and culture will be very different. In fact the Roman hydraulic technologies have a massive impact on the region that limits population growth.

Overall the world population by the time of the epilogue has a very different repartition from OTL and the level of developpment while the repartition of riches mean that it will not grow as OTL : I don't see Earth going much above 5 billion inhabitants...

Hecatee

Donor
Hecatee,

Love the story. Any thoughts on making this an ebook? I will buy it in an instant.
Thanks ! Thing is, the 350 some pages of the masterfile would probably require a lot of editing to become an eBook, I don't want to offer a sub-par quality to my readers especially if they pay for it :(

I loved this timeline and it's actually the first ever timeline I read on this forum and the one that got me to make an account. Happy to see it reach a cool ending.
I definitely am interested in the Chiang gets ready for Japan timeline and I also am really interested in the more space exploration timeline. Honestly though I'd read anything you write.

Thanks ! Thing is, the 350 some pages of the masterfile would probably require a lot of editing to become an eBook, I don't want to offer a sub-par quality to my readers especially if they pay for it :(
With respect though not really, the present format with a few tweaks and a few edits would work fine as a timeline/e-book, maybe expand a few posts maybe not I would pay for it myself........