Had he not died, could Stephen Douglas have been Lincoln's running mate in 1864?

"I've known Mr. Lincoln a longer time than you have, or than the country has. He'll come out all right, and we will all stand by him."
- Stephen Douglas concerning Lincoln's stance against the Secession Crisis, 1861.

Stephen Douglas is historically known as Lincoln's rival, as a defender of popular sovereignty and at the very least an southern appeaser on the issue of slavery.

Nevertheless, after Lincoln's election, their relationship was cordial, and Douglas aggressively opposed secession, enthusiastically backing Lincoln's raising of an Union Army.
Had douglas not died shortly after the aforementioned quote, and indeed his health been in good standing, could he have been seen as a running mate for 1864? What is more symbolic of a "National Union" ticket then two former rivals from two opposite parties coming together for the sake of the Republic?

And lets say Douglas indeed went on to become Lincoln's VP and later president, how would his policies fare? Would he clash more or less with the radical republicans in the 65-68 period than Johnson?

I really like this idea, but there might be a problem if both of them claim Illinois as the state their running from. Considering Lincoln's OTL paranoia during the 1864 election, I dont think he would tap Douglas. Nevada became a state when it did as a method of padding Lincoln's electoral votes.

I really like this idea, but there might be a problem if both of them claim Illinois as the state their running from. Considering Lincoln's OTL paranoia during the 1864 election, I dont think he would tap Douglas. Nevada became a state when it did as a method of padding Lincoln's electoral votes.
Well techinically it would only be an issue for the electors of Illinois as they would be able to vote for Lincoln but not Douglas.

Its just that the pr move seems so perfect. I guess it also depends of how Douglas would position himself concerning things such as the emancipation proclamation. We know from his OTL stance that he most likely would've continued to support the Union effort, maybe even getting some positions such as military governor of this or that. But would the "popular sovereignty guy" be ok with Congress forcing the abolition of slavery on the south? Also later, in his hypothetical presidency, would he just go along with the Republicans plan to force integration? I could see him being worse then Johnson in the "Let the southerners decide how they will rule their state, this is my whole thing".

Also, couldn't resist, made this.
1657909394843.png

This is correct. They live in the same state, so they can't be on the same ticket. Moreover, I am sure that Douglas would want to run for President again in 1868 and being Lincoln's VP would probably not be an ideal way to go out that.

'Had Douglas survived, his skill, determination, and forensic power, his devotion to the Union, and his personal respect for Lincoln, would have given the minority party a constructive role it never played.'

You know, Douglas had experience in the Illinois Supreme Court and had a great deal of respect for the US Supreme Court as an institution. Perhaps an appointment to the Cout by Lincoln would be a better choice - assuming, of course, that Lincoln could trust Douglas to decide cases in the proper way.

I do think a lot of this all depends on how Douglas evolves on many issues over the course of the war (and his longer life). Many of his positions, such as Popular Sovereigity and the Freeport Doctrine, all seem to have been efforts on his part to find common ground across sectional lines and push through compromises in order to preserve the Union (and, of course, help his career. Politicians goin' to politic ;) ). The War itself is a pretty firm repudiation of his efforts, and he was an avowed opponent of succession. So it's not completely out of line to see him evolve on many of those issues during the course of the war - he certainly wouldn't have been the first or only person to do so.

This is correct. They live in the same state, so they can't be on the same ticket. Moreover, I am sure that Douglas would want to run for President again in 1868 and being Lincoln's VP would probably not be an ideal way to go out that.
From my understanding is that this is a common misconception. Article II states that Electors will vote for 2 candidates, and one must not be from their home state. This was back when the second most voted candidate got to be VP. After this system was replaced by the current one Article II remained in effect, so it only means that the Electors of Illinois can't vote for both Douglas AND Lincoln, but could still vote for one of them.
'Had Douglas survived, his skill, determination, and forensic power, his devotion to the Union, and his personal respect for Lincoln, would have given the minority party a constructive role it never played.'
Where's this quote from?
I do think a lot of this all depends on how Douglas evolves on many issues over the course of the war (and his longer life). Many of his positions, such as Popular Sovereigity and the Freeport Doctrine, all seem to have been efforts on his part to find common ground across sectional lines and push through compromises in order to preserve the Union (and, of course, help his career. Politicians goin' to politic ;) ). The War itself is a pretty firm repudiation of his efforts, and he was an avowed opponent of succession. So it's not completely out of line to see him evolve on many of those issues during the course of the war - he certainly wouldn't have been the first or only person to do so.
Absolutely agree, would be interesting to see how his views developed over the conflict. As I've stated, I think he would remain solidly pro-union. But his presence in the ticket would depend heavily on his public stance concerning emancipation, and I don't know which direction the man would turn then. He really seemed in life to be indifferent towards slavery, more than willing to support it for his political gains, but hey, if Johnson could pull off pretending to be a radical republican until 65, why can't Douglas pull something similar?:p

From my understanding is that this is a common misconception. Article II states that Electors will vote for 2 candidates, and one must not be from their home state. This was back when the second most voted candidate got to be VP. After this system was replaced by the current one Article II remained in effect, so it only means that the Electors of Illinois can't vote for both Douglas AND Lincoln, but could still vote for one of them.

Where's this quote from?

Absolutely agree, would be interesting to see how his views developed over the conflict. As I've stated, I think he would remain solidly pro-union. But his presence in the ticket would depend heavily on his public stance concerning emancipation, and I don't know which direction the man would turn then. He really seemed in life to be indifferent towards slavery, more than willing to support it for his political gains, but hey, if Johnson could pull off pretending to be a radical republican until 65, why can't Douglas pull something similar?:p

He might support emancipation simply as a war measure, but I think that is the absolute farthest he would go. Douglas supported the Union, but he was still a Democrat. Moreover, he owned a plantation in Mississippi which — it has been said — made him more sympathetic to Southern interests during the 1850s debates over slavery.

I do think that had Douglas lived, he would have been the national leader of the Democratic Party during the war. This would have resulted in the Democrats being more organized and supportive of the Union. The Democrats would likely do better in the 1862 and 1864 elections.