Greatest general in the War of the Spanish Succession??

?

• Marlborough

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Villars

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Prince Eugene

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
I realise this isn't actually alternate history, but I saw this thread and I wanted to focus more specifically on the early eighteenth century, having just read Richard Holmes' biography of Marlborough. The obvious three candidates are options on the poll. I'm not really sure whom to pick myself, although I'm biased towards Marlborough.

I know that I'm biased but I think that António Luís de Sousa, the forth Conde de Prado and the second Marquês de Minas is better.
His superiors didn't take his advice, even after all the times that all the events happened as him as predicted.
Also had problems with supplies of food and ammunition for his troops, and even so managed to cause a lot of problems to his enemies.
He managed to take Madrid in 28th of June of 1706 and declare king Charles III.
Sadly, again, taking other advises Charles III take to long to decide to go to Madrid, and ended to loose to much precious time to his adversaries.

I voted for Prince Eugene, but I'm not sure if its fair to count his whole career as part of that (would count that for any of his rivals, too, mind).

Minas (is that how we should refer to him?) sounds good too and Nasei's reasons there are like mine for Eugene - accomplishing stuff even with a system that gave him less than he needed. Anyone can simply be a tactical or strategic genius gifted with great vision, but managing to win with limited resources even if one's victories aren't necessarily as spectacular is better, in my opinion. Logistics being studied by professionals and all.

Marlburough had some of that, but never in the same way.

Don't know enough on the French side to say anything on any of those generals. Doesn't mean there's something wrong with them, but I can't fairly weigh people I hardly know the names of.