Great Britain: US State

Ok, how do we make it work? God knows it's a funky idea!

Cuban missile war, the USSR hits the UK badly, the Irish move into Northern Ireland, and a joint USA-Canadian force moves into GB, some time in the late 70's after all the civil unrest cools a vote is held on wether to join the US or Canada, they pick the US

Britain a US State? Impossible in my opinion aside from the Monarchy issues (Even a Nuke wont get rid of that. We can get the Norwegian king...) Britain and the US have moved on. I don’t think the US is in the markets for territory and imagine the distance? A US State part of Europe?

It would be very awkward with the EU and aside from some earth shattering events it’s very difficult to get Public Opinion behind the US. How do you turn a nation with the history and identity (Not British ness..) of the UK into a state? Getting the Euro even now when it might be positive will be a struggle imagine trying the Dollar? Britain would be a powerful state.

Perhaps make it four states? England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland/N.Ireland(Depends on the world changing circumstances.)

There truly has to be ground shaking movements in the world to even make this a long shot. Especially with Britain and the USA’s colonial legacy…

thats why you'd need a really nasty Nuclear war, knock the population down to 12 million(or so) and leave only the country side, oh and in a USSR NATO war Norway would be hit so bye bye Norway-UK-post-Nuclear-war-personal-union,

thats why you'd need a really nasty Nuclear war, knock the population down to 12 million(or so) and leave only the country side, oh and in a USSR NATO war Norway would be hit so bye bye Norway-UK-post-Nuclear-war-personal-union,

The British Royal Family is very large. Even with a massive Nuclear war there would always be a surviving claimant. The Romanian Royal family pop up around the 80s and they lived in Switzerland not a likely nuke site…

The list on Wiki has 1496 names, so there always will be one or two alive who can step up and take the throne and have their bloodline traced back to nobility…

The British Royal Family is very large. Even with a massive Nuclear war there would always be a surviving claimant. The Romanian Royal family pop up around the 80s and they lived in Switzerland not a likely nuke site…

The list on Wiki has 1496 names, so there always will be one or two alive who can step up and take the throne and have their bloodline traced back to nobility…

but who'd want to be king/queen of a nuked out hell-hole? i'm not saying my idea is likely, but i'm just trying to make it work

but who'd want to be king/queen of a nuked out hell-hole? i'm not saying my idea is likely, but i'm just trying to make it work

A lot of people :) You have to either lose the monarchy and bring in a Presidential system (Figurehead) or somehow have a British monarch in the United States...

A lot of people :) You have to either lose the monarchy and bring in a Presidential system (Figurehead) or somehow have a British monarch in the United States...

I actually don't see what stops a US State having a monarch. The US is a Republic, but I don't think anything in the constitution would stop Me being declared King of New York - obvious practical constraints are innumerable. But even if the constitution did block such a thing, if GB came to the table, and the US really going to say 'Sorry no Monarchies?' this possible legal constraint isn't a practical constraint at all.

I actually don't see what stops a US State having a monarch. The US is a Republic, but I don't think anything in the constitution would stop Me being declared King of New York - obvious practical constraints are innumerable. But even if the constitution did block such a thing, if GB came to the table, and the US really going to say 'Sorry no Monarchies?' this possible legal constraint isn't a practical constraint at all.

Does this apply?

Section 9 - Limits on Congress

"No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign State."

Does this apply?

Section 9 - Limits on Congress

"No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign State."

She (hypothetically using Elizabeth II) hardly holds office, or receives her powers from the US, or would in the conditions given. She would obviously be constitutionalised anyway - theres no way we could work that one round.Therefore she could simply exist as a ceremonial being (not much changed there) - she could receive money as a tourism subsidy.

Only states with a republican form of government can join the US. It's in the Constitution.

So the monarchy would have to go.

I actually don't see what stops a US State having a monarch.

Uh, the US Constitution, for one?

Constitution of the United States said:
The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened), against domestic Violence.

The possibility of US states having monarchs is an interesting POD. I've posted a thread...

She (hypothetically using Elizabeth II) hardly holds office, or receives her powers from the US, or would in the conditions given. She would obviously be constitutionalised anyway - theres no way we could work that one round.Therefore she could simply exist as a ceremonial being (not much changed there) - she could receive money as a tourism subsidy.

I suppose you could have a situation where a state has a Governor General, as Canada does. In the Canadian system of government, the GG can disolve Parliment, if asked to do so by the Prime Minister, inspects the troops and rubber stamps bills that have been passed by the House of Commons and the Senate, but other than than, the Governor General's duties are mostly ceremonial.