Grand Registry of Possible U.S. Expansion

Let's do this! But let's ignore the obvious Walker's Nicaragua/Santo Domingo cases first. Please post links, preferably not just Wikipedia.

El Salvador (1822) - Unfortunately just the Wikipedia article. They wanted protection from Mexico, though probably any country could have done.

Darkest

Banned
Yucatan Peninsula (1848) - Read through several dialogues to figure out the gist. Governor Mendez sent letters offering up the peninsula's sovereignty to any who would protect its white population against the native uprising during the Caste War. President Polk was for it, as was quite a few others (Holmes made a good speech for it), but Calhoun and other Democrats put together a great strategy: they delayed and delayed the vote upon the measure until the Indians had forced the whites from the peninsula. Calhoun made some popular speeches, the media picked up on it, and at the end of the month, they decided against it.

Kill off Calhoun, maybe get them to make a decision quicker, or better yet, give the native whites a few successes against the Yucatecos and make them last longer, and the bill could pe passed by June giving the President of the Yucatan authority over the US army and navy. It would be an uphill battle to strike against the Indians, with British weapons and a unified religious motivation... but it could be done. Especially if Calhoun was killed off.

Mr. Holmes said:
“Because the Yucatenese told them that they were about to be exterminated, and , in obedience to the law of nations—salus reipublica suprema Lex­—which in all minds should be above all other considerations, to save their lives, appealed to other countries, did this country, in this enlightened age, when all Europe was responding to the sentiment that a people have the right to select for themselves their won guardians in a manner and form agreeable to their own institutions—should we say, while we are unable to rescue them from the difficulties by which they are surrounded, that we will interpose between them and any other country that should attempt to give them the necessary aid and protection? Should we, in advance, throw ourselves before other nations and bid them defiance, and say to them respectively, Stop; if you do afford protection, if you do throw the aegis of your protection over these people to whom we are not able to afford assistance, we will meet you in a conflict of arms? That doctrine of Mr. Monroe was applied, be it remembered, at the time the allied sovereigns were about to interfere with self-government. When the States of South America had disenthralled themselves, the allied sovereigns, fearing difficulties in Europe from the diffusion of free sentiments and the establishment of republics in South America, contemplated bringing back to colonial subjection the southern hemisphere. But we promptly met them; and the people, feeling the justice of the course—feeling a hearty sympathy with South America—were willing to support Mr. Monroe; but did that include the doctrine that Yucatan should not choose who should be her protector? Did it prohibit her from calling upon any nation for protection? He warned gentlemen—he warned this country—while we are assuming this bold attitude, not to be so lofty in their pretensions. There was yet one nation that had not lost the imperial diadem, and such pretensions might involve us in a calamitous war. He protested against that doctrine which the President in his message had promulgated, and he hoped it would not be sanctioned by this House.”

More hearsay:

Colombia and Venezuela both had radical movements towards American annexation after American Marines landed there to preserve peace in several cities that were harming American merchants.

Tunisia and the Barbary States were proposed to become American vassals or colonies by a handful of American Senators following the destabilization of the Barbary States by the Ottoman Empire.

1783 Treaty of Paris In addition to OTL US, the infant republic also acquires New Ireland(New Brunswick), Bermuda and all land south of the St Lawrence River.

1812 US claims Falkland Islands

Treaty of 1818 US acquires all of Oregon territory.

Adams-Onis Spain sells Florida to US

Treaty of Guadalope Hidalgo In addition too OTL Mexican Cession, the US acquires Baja California, Chihuaha and Coahuilia(sorry if mispelled)

1853 US annexes Formosa and Hawaii

1850's US annexes Greenalnd, Danish West Indies from Denmark after dispute over passage fees on the Kattegat.

1867 US purchases Alaska from Russia, purchases Rupert's Land from Britain in addition to forgiving claims of damages inflicted by Confederate raiders.

1869 US purchases Dominican Republic

1898 US annexes Cuba, Philippines, Puerto Rico and all Spanish Pacific territories.

1920 US leases Kamchatka from Soviet Union for 60 years

http://http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9502E6DA163CE533A25753C3A9679D946195D6CF

1941 Under 1941 lend-lease agreement Soviet Union cedes Kamchatka to US.

Thoughts so far?

this is a pretty good thread idea and there is one that i remember after ww2 there was a movement briefly a movement to annexe Sicily as a US territory even the mafia supported this

bard32

Banned
1783 Treaty of Paris In addition to OTL US, the infant republic also acquires New Ireland(New Brunswick), Bermuda and all land south of the St Lawrence River.

Treaty of 1818 US acquires all of Oregon territory.

Adams-Onis Spain sells Florida to US

Treaty of Guadalope Hidalgo In addition too OTL Mexican Cession, the US acquires Baja California, Chihuaha and Coahuilia(sorry if mispelled)

1850's US annexes Greenalnd, Danish West Indies from Denmark after dispute over passage fees on the Kattegat.

1867 US purchases Alaska from Russia, purchases Rupert's Land from Britain in addition to forgiving claims of damages inflicted by Confederate raiders.

1869 US purchases Dominican Republic

1898 US annexes Cuba, Philippines, Puerto Rico and all Spanish Pacific territories.

1920 US leases Kamchatka from Soviet Union for 60 years

http://http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9502E6DA163CE533A25753C3A9679D946195D6CF

1941 Under 1941 lend-lease agreement Soviet Union cedes Kamchatka to US.

Thoughts so far?

Very good. However, the lease arrangement, under Lend-Lease, was only 99
years, just like Britain's lease on Hong Kong and Kowloon.

I thought New Brunswick was out of the question, what with the British fort in Halifax not too far off and all, but the lands south of the St. Lawrence River thing: interesting, why didn't that happen in OTL? Rivers make such nice borders...

That sounds unlikely. Any basis in history?

[Treaty of Guadalope Hidalgo In addition too OTL Mexican Cession, the US acquires Baja California, Chihuaha and Coahuilia(sorry if mispelled)

Baja I think is natural, though why Coahuila and why not Sonora?

Not sure why they would both be taken in the same year.

Rupert's Land... seems rather big.

Thoughts so far?

The Kamchatka thing may happen, but not with the Soviets. They'd be butterflied away. Good overall, and I like it how it's a more expansionistic U.S. without being unrealistically overpowered. Though I wonder why you didn't mention any Central American adventures.

Seward sure was the empire builder/ice collector. His attempt to annex British Columbia.

I'm also wondering if the U.S. had any role in supporting Louis Riel's Rebellion and the other uprisings by the Metis. Surely there was some support for the Fenians, but they don't count since they couldn't have possibly hoped to take Canada.

Edit: Holy crap that was a complicated Rebellion.

Also,

1870: January 19, the Provisional Government of Red River convinced the people of Red River that they do not want to join the United States. All want satisfactory terms with Canada.

April 22: The American Congress presented a motion to annex the rebellious territory of Red River to the United States. This month the Orange Lodges of British Loyalists in Ontario sprung into aggressive action, demanding no negotiations with the half-breed (Metis) murderers, calling them rebels and traitors. This over reaction is probably the result of the American Congress motion to annex Red River. The fear is that Canada West might be lost to the Americans, just as Canada had lost Mississippi, Minnesota, and Missouri territories, not to mention the Oregon Territory.

Finally, apparently Riel didn't care to be annexed by the Americans. Uppity spoilsport!

Kingdom of Canada and more about the Fenian involvement.

There's more about the Metis and the Canadian West where that came from, but I'm reluctant to research more of this if no one's going to bother reading it. How likely is the U.S. going to be able to annex western Canada after the ACW, anyways?

Last edited:
I'm pretty much against the inclusion of statehood parties into this thread (perhaps in the future), since everybody from Canada to Sicily has had pro-annexationist groups before. Not unless the party was in power or had a strong chance of attaining it.

I'm pretty much against the inclusion of statehood parties into this thread (perhaps in the future), since everybody from Canada to Sicily has had pro-annexationist groups before. Not unless the party was in power or had a strong chance of attaining it.

How about establishing more direct control over Liberia? Or Hamilton's mad idea to liberate Mexico and Peru(And, presumably, parts in between)?

I thought New Brunswick was out of the question, what with the British fort in Halifax not too far off and all, but the lands south of the St. Lawrence River thing: interesting, why didn't that happen in OTL? Rivers make such nice borders...

Well yes and no. A more successfully Eddy's Rebellion and/or the fact that prominent Americans(including Ben Franklin)were part of a land company settling people near OTL Monckton, New Brukswick.

That sounds unlikely. Any basis in history?
Yes though not during the war of 1812. I believe in the 1830's the US was considering establishing a post there(whaling I believe).

Baja I think is natural, though why Coahuila and why not Sonora?
Just forgot :eek::eek: sorry.

Not sure why they would both be taken in the same year.
I believe I read that their was an early attempt to annex Hawaii in 1853.

Rupert's Land... seems rather big.
Yeah but with a fair price and the dropping of the damage claims Britain may have been willing to sell.

The Kamchatka thing may happen, but not with the Soviets. They'd be butterflied away. Good overall, and I like it how it's a more expansionistic U.S. without being unrealistically overpowered. Though I wonder why you didn't mention any Central American adventures.
Well it was Lenin's idea in the first place. Ameriwank can get boring(sometimes). Just overlooked Central America(ran out of time).

Very good. However, the lease arrangement, under Lend-Lease, was only 99
years, just like Britain's lease on Hong Kong and Kowloon.

How hard would it be to get the US, either in the 50's or the 80's to unilaterally amend that?

Didn't Panama at one point sought to become part of the United States, after their intervention to get the Colombian's out of their neck of the woods?

From what I've been able to find in the past Kamchatka wan't part of the Alaska purchase though during the late 1890's early 1920's several prominent people proposed to sell Kamchatka to the US as a way of intimidating Japan though Mckinley's assassination derailed these plans but unforyunately I can't find any sources yet but will keep looking.