Gore doesn't run in 2000

Don't think I've ever seen this possibility discussed before so I'd thought to give it a shot..

Let's say Gore has some severe accident that he'll eventually recover from but prevents him from running in 2000 as Clinton's successor. Obviously this leaves the Democratic primary wide open since Gore easily swept them OTL, who would run and could they beat Bush.

Some potential contenders that didn't run:

Bill Bradley
Ann Richards
Jesse Jackson
Dick Gephardt
Paul Wellstone among many others..

Thoughts?

Don't think I've ever seen this possibility discussed before so I'd thought to give it a shot..

Let's say Gore has some severe accident that he'll eventually recover from but prevents him from running in 2000 as Clinton's successor. Obviously this leaves the Democratic primary wide open since Gore easily swept them OTL, who would run and could they beat Bush.

Some potential contenders that didn't run:

Bill Bradley
Ann Richards
Jesse Jackson
Dick Gephardt
Paul Wellstone among many others..

Thoughts?
Bill Bradley did run in 2000 and almost won New Hampshire. The only way to have Ann Richards run is if she won re-election in 1994 over George W. Bush.

You could also add Howard Dean, Bob Kerrey, John Kerry, and Jay Rockefeller to the list.

Bill Bradley did run in 2000 and almost won New Hampshire.
Indeed. Although his campaign was less nationally prominent, well-remembered, he persisted in pursuing the Democratic Party nomination for longer than McCain persisted in pursuing the Republican Party nomination. The 2000 campaign was interesting in that it attracted multiple "maverick" candidates who gained a degree of at least ephemeral prominence - McCain among the Republican, Bradley among the Democrats, Ralph Nader among the Greens. Also noteworthy about 2,000 is that you could ideologically code each of the main primary challengers (who lost) as being to the left of the candidate they challenged, and of course the Greens were to the left of Democrats and Republicans. And Nader was considered the more relevant/consequential/popular third-party candidate that year than paleoconservative Pat Buchanan who captured the Reform Party nomination that year and ran on its ticket.

I’m guessing Bill Bradley runs but still loses to Bush somehow. Maybe we don’t have a Florida debacle. I don’t see anyone but Gore carrying the Clinton mantle well.

I’m guessing Bill Bradley runs but still loses to Bush somehow. Maybe we don’t have a Florida debacle. I don’t see anyone but Gore carrying the Clinton mantle well.
Dunno if that is true. Anyone else running probably wouldn't make his mistakes like distancing himself from Clinton.

I think you could see a centrist like Kerrey or Graham run, and Gephardt likely runs, but he's probably too much of a protectionist to win the Dem nomination at this point. The problem is that there's no clear Clinton continuity candidate, though he might push for a Southern Dem like Mary Landrieu or Max Cleland...

It would have been highly unorthodox, but I always thought that Gore was hobbled by the allergy to bluntness and disruptive and disarming candor and his sense of obligation to meet an expected politician's 'script' when dealing with the personal ethical bagged Bill Clinton left on his lap.

Clinton left office with a high approval rating, based on the state of the economy, overall peace and prosperity. He was tarnished by his own actions, which his opponents kept in the public view, but they made themselves look somewhat bad in the process too. Still, it was enough that Gore had a dilemma of trying to distance himself and shake a stigma of association while still getting credit for achievements of the administration. Instead, people outraged at Clinton or partisan already could take out their anger by supporting his opponent, and he didn't have the rogue-ish charm and folksiness to win them back. He didn't use Clinton as much as might have been ideal for strategy or campaigning. But Bill's personal baggage was a reasonable reason not to.

I've long thought Gore should have bluntly addressed this issue of distancing, with a bold approach. Deploy Clinton personally to campaign for him and try to boost turnout only among niche audiences he was especially popular with at the time. Take his political advice behind the scenes early and often. Even in front of other audiences where he is not brought along, sometimes use his types of words and phrasing. But address openly among white, moderate, swing audiences Bill's personal issues. Not at any length. But in brief answers in questions, 'yes, the President has some personal issues to work out'. 'I see this administration as a having many successes on many policy issues, but I don't see this White House as a model for conducting my household, or personnel policy in my workplace, or communication with my colleagues in other branches on either side of the aisle.

This can be summarized in two shorter sayings or slogans. The short, bumper sticker is simply this: "Gore for President: It's like Clinton, Rated PG"
The longer version would be "Gore for President: No interns, no property deals, just the great economy and governance you've come to know and love"

Last edited: