Gods and Empires

I would like make better and more complex maps, but I have no great means.
Thanks.
N.B.: I've moved the map of Britannia. You will find it after the chapter 5.

the_roman_empire_by_galileo_034-d420xgs.png

Organization of the Roman Empire after the Peace of Tigranocerta
Based upon De geographia mundi by Gaius Alarchus

Last edited:
Burning-Temple.jpg

Sacking of Luguvalium by caledonian rebels

Chapter X

The civil war hadn't consisted only in battles between different contenders, rebellions had also broken out against Roman rule.
The uprisings of the rhenish provinces and of Caledonia were the most importants.

As soon as the new of the battle of Patavium reached them, the recently pacified tribes of Caledonia entered in revolt; unfortunate roman officials were murdered and detachments of auxiliaries were ambushed.
Within a few weeks, the Roman presence was reduced to the colony of Claudia Votadinorum which also was the garrison location of a legion.
Vindex, who was still governor of Britannia in spite of being in Gallia, gathering his supporters to rally Vespasianus, sent three of the four legions garrisonned on the island under the command of one of his generals, Quintus Verelco Maior, who he also appointed governor in his place.
The roman counter-attack was vigorous enough to relieve the colony of Claudia Votadinorum. The Lowlands were secured in less than two months, but the rebels had kept a firm control over the Highlands.
But Verelco, who was born and had lived in Britannia, knew very well the tribes of the region and used his knowledges to divide them.
Some clans, who had previously enjoyed a privileged place by becoming part of the romanized local ruling elites, had preferred to remain neutral as they saw the lightning progression of the rebels.
So, Verelco took great care to spare their properties. He finally managed to rally them, thanks to a strong diplomatic effort, but also and especially by destroying a caledonian army at Devana in Taexalian territory, impressing them.
The pacification of the Highlands was thus ended even before that the new of Vindex's death reached Caledonia.
When this occured, Verelco affirmed his loyalty towards the new Princeps.
Verelco was lucky to have been educated alongside Vespasianus Caesar while they lived at Londinium at the time when the father of the latter was governor. So, he remained governor of Britannia.
Careful in the treatment of the defeated chieftains, Verelco sought to show that Roma could be merciful and subjected them to the same fate that the one of Caractacus more than thirty years before: pardon and perpetual exil to Roma.

The second revolt, in Gallia, was less important but notable.
Little before the death of Nero Caesar, a batavian prince named Gnaeus Iulius Civilis, whose the father had been executed upon false accusations of treason under the Terror of Tigellinus, was entered in open rebellion to save his own life. He managed to gain the support of some batavian and gallian tribes of Germania Inferior.
However, the uprising hadn't grown in scope, being reduced to a small guerilla. What's more, the rebellion had been about to be supressed by Verginius Rufus but was saved by the begining of the Civil war.
This respite lasted only a few months after what, Vindex having been confirmed as co-emperor, began to renew the offensive.
The rebels were once again on the verge of total defeat but were again given a respite when occured the struggle between Vindex and Domitianus.
Fortunately, this respite lasted more longer as after the battle of Capua, Severus Alix, a 'gallian general' who was responsible of the murder of members of the Flavian gens who hadn't been able to flee Roma before the arrival of Vindex, had fled in northern Gallia and sought an alliance with Civilis.
Their views on the strategy to adopt against the Romans were differents and the two men pursued the fight separately. Alix was quickly beaten in march 837 near Augusta Treverorum by the general Quintus Petilius Cerialis and was murdered by his own soldiers shortly after.
Eight months later, after a defeat at Castra Vetera, Civilis was also beaten by Cerialis, before commit suicide to prevent his capture.
Quote from Letter 49
Letters of Gnaeus Ambrusius

Nota Bene

About dates:
837 AUC = 84 AD

Verginius Rufus and Tigellinus are the only OTL characters of this chapter.
The ATL characters are Quintus Verelco Maior, Severus Alix (a wink to a comic), and Gnaeus Iulius Civilis (a fictional son of Gaius Iulius Civilis).

Last edited:
Hayez_destruction%20temple.jpg

Sack and destruction of Hierosolyma by the Romans

Chapter XI

Like many others, the kingdoms of Iudaea and Nabatene were annexed to the Roman empire in retaliation of their support for Traianus.

In 836 reigned Herodes Agrippa II although for some times, his son, the prince Herodes Agrippa III, was the real holder of the power. Herod Agrippa III was ambitious. Had he chosen the good side during the civil war, he might have been a new Herod the Great.
The fall was great.
But he wasn't a man who abandon, and soon began to plot to recover the throne.
He tried to excite his jewish coreligionists against the roman 'invader'. He even attempted contacts with the Parthians to organize an open revolt.
The conditions of the uprising weren't gathered together before late 839.

At this time, the brutal repression by Lucius Iulius Alexander of the northern mesopotamian cities shocked the Jews living inside the Roman Empire especially since these towns were inhabited by great jewish populations.
What's more, the local procurator, Marcus Ambrusius Secundus, my great-grandfather, was a little inept because little expert of the jewish habits and customs. If he had known that almost two centuries and a half before, the conflict between traditionnalist and hellenized Jews had led to an uprising which had ended the seleucid rule, he would never have favoured the latters.
So, a day of december 839, when an Hellenist sacrificed several birds in front of a synagogue of Caesarea, rendering the building ritually unclean, riots broke out and quickly spread across Iudaea and the roman officials were forced to flee Hierosolyma, where Herodes Agrippa III, his father having died a few months earlier, crowned himself King of the Jews and launched a call to his subjects to join him to expulse the Romans as they had expulsed the Seleucids. Several even say that the sacrifice was a set-up of Agrippa.

The legate of Syria Lucius Flavius Silva attempted to restore order and was initially successfull in relieving Caesarea and reaching Hierosolyma. However, his single legion and its auxiliaries weren't able to retake the jewish capital and his assault upon the Temple Mount having failed, he decided to withdraw to the coast and wait for reinforcements.
He never saw the sea.
The Romans were ambushed at the pass of Beth Horon and massacred; only a few hundreds of men managed to flee.
This great roman defeat encouraged the other jewish communities to rise up: uprisings soon occured in Galileia and spread to Cyprus, Egypt and Cyrenaica.
Only Samareia remained loyal because of a religious antagonism and traditionnal enmity with the other Jews.
The following months saw other successes for the rebels.
The nobles of Nabatene, wanting to restore their former independance rallied them. While they were reduced to the coasts in Cyrenaica, the Romans were totally thrown out of Cyprus. In Aegyptus, even the town of Alexandria was briefly taken.

But these successes were short-lived.
In may 840, Vespasianus Caesar appointed Lucius Iulius Alexander, with an exceptionnal overall command over the rebelled provinces plus Syria. The first action undertook was to relieve Caesarea which was besieged again, even before that reinforcements from the rhenish and danubian limites were sent.
In the first times, Alexander concentrated his efforts on pacifying Egypt, one of the wheat lofts of Roma, and supressing the nascent piracy led by the Jews to harass grain supply and demoralize the Romans.
He landed near Alexandria with five legions while three other were sent to reconquer Cyprus, and by late summer, the two provinces had been subdued.
The represion was of a scale never seen and was impressive especially since Alexander's ancestors were jewish. The Jews were pursued in the greater witch hunt of the history. In every town and village, people and soldiers killed them without distinctions, men, wifes or children.
The jewish community which remained in Egypt after the revolt was only a fraction of what it had been before and took several centuries to recover.
Thus was also the fate of the rebels during the following roman reconquests.

During autumn and winter, while Cyrenaica was invaded, four legions with the support of the roman navy marched down the coast, capturing Apollonia, Ioppe and Azotus, thus eliminating the jewish pirats.
In spring 841, Alexander began a serie of devastating raids in Iudaea where entire villages were burnt, but the main offensive was undertook in Galileia.
However, it was far to be as easy as in the previous actions. During almost a year, every great towns of the jewish kingdom had improved their defences, and when they arrived, the Romans found as many fortresses. So, the conquest was very long.
By june, Sepphoris was taken as Iotapata after two months of siege.
The following months, as the peace had been signed with the Parthians, Alexander received reinforcements which grew his forces to thirteen legions.
He profited of his numerical superiority to besiege simultaneously Tiberias, Tarichaea, Giscala, Gamala and Bostra.
The only attempt to relieve Galileian towns by the Iudaeans occured in late september but was easily defeated at the battle of Sebaste.
Despite of their fierce resistance, these towns were all fallen by early winter.
In spring 842, Alexander divided again his forces, launching five legions at the conquest of Perea while he attacked towards Hierosolyma.
He quickly took Antipatris, then Lydda and Thamna in april but had to besiege Gophna and Emmaus, for one week in each town. At the same time, Iericho was fallen by the second group of legions.
Hierosolyma was reached in mid-july.
The fights lasted six weeks but finally, the Romans were victorious.
The entire town,and the Temple, were razed to the ground, and its population was or enslaved or massacred.
In late august, Machaerus fell also.
Thereafter, Alexander undertook the pacification of Idumea, and by early 843, only Masada and Petra still resisted . The former was taken in july, and the latter, in september.
As for Herodes Agrippa III, he attempted to flee in Parthia but disappeared in the sands of the arabian desert.

The roman provinces of Iudaea and Nabatene were thus pacified, but at a great cost.
Still today, we can see the marks of the devastation. It's one of the poorer and less populated provinces of the Empire.
After the uprising, the number of legions which had begun to decrease as the Romans progressed in their reconquest was reduced to two in garrison.
Vespasianus Caesar built in the ashes of Hierosolyma a colony, without fortifications, dedicated to Iupiter Capitolinus, a temple being building for him at the place of the former jewish Temple.
Flavia Capitolina was the garrison location of one of the two Iudaean legions, whose veterans had to settle there, and was forbidden to the Jews with death penalty for trespassers.
Quote of Letter 54

Nota bene

About dates:
836 AUC = 83 AD
839 AUC = 86 AD
840 AUC = 87 AD
841 AUC = 88 AD
842 AUC = 89 AD
843 AUC = 90 AD

Lucius Flavius Silva is the only OTL character of this chapter.

For my future asian updates, I would need help about the chinese naming conventions, and at a lesser extent, about the kushan, indian and persian naming conventions.
All I know about the names of the chinese Emperors is that their names must be rare because forbidden to be used by other peoples, I believe.
I could try to use OTL names, but I would like rather create new names.
Thanks for any help.

well, you just lost me as a reader. not anything personal, but you just Slaughtered my ancestors :(

well, you just lost me as a reader. not anything personal, but you just Slaughtered my ancestors :(
??? Didn't the Romans do this in OTL a number of times as well? Are you going to blame historians for writing about this? I sympathize with you, certainly, but this attitude isn't very reasonable. I don't get pissed off when a historian writes about Nanjing, do I? Even if it's here on AH.com and Nanjing still happened in an ATL.

Sorry. I'm myself christian, and nip the christianism in the bud hadn't been an easy decision.

EDIT: The chapter XI is not the end of the Jews, I reassure you.
I plan to have in late third century a long roman-persian war (like the war of 602-628). The Ghassanids, arrived in the region, will convert to judaism, be used by the Persians as auxiliaries in a first time, build a kingdom stretching over northwestern Arabia and Palestina. Of course, this new kingdom will survive to the roman-persian peace or status quo.

Last edited:
Sorry. I'm myself christian, and nip the christianism in the bud hadn't been an easy decision.

EDIT: The chapter XI is not the end of the Jews, I reassure you.
I plan to have in late third century a long roman-persian war (like the war of 602-628). The Ghassanids, arrived in the region, will convert to judaism, be used by the Persians as auxiliaries in a first time, build a kingdom stretching over northwestern Arabia and Palestina. Of course, this new kingdom will survive to the roman-persian peace or status quo.

So I'm guessing the Lakhmids don't arise as well?

portrait.jpg

Vima I Tacto

Chapter XII

The end of the conquest of Indo-Scythia by Vima I Tacto in 840 closed the first step which was going to lead to one of the greater empires ever seen in world, equaling if not surpassing those of Roma and Thys.

Fourty years earlier, the Tocharians were yet a nation divided in five tribes settled mainly in Bactria.

However, the indo-parthian expansion in Arachosia had led to an increased pressure upon them and Cozola Cadafes, one of their five chieftains took advantage of this to unite them under his rule.
He soon retook Arachosia to the Indo-Parthians, then invaded Gandhara, killing the indo-parthian king Gondophares Sasan, and taking Taxila. Shortly after, the satrap Sodasa of Methora, after having been an indo-parthian vassal became a tocharian vassal.

When Cozola died in 836, the Indo-Parthians still held in the South.

Vima Tacto, son and successor of Cozola, had distinguished himself in the conquest of Gandhara. When he acceded to the throne, he immediatly invaded Sattagydia.
But what appeared first as an easy conquest became quickly a full scale war.
Indeed, four years earlier, the Indo-Scythians under Nambanus and his son-in-law, Usavadata, had waged a war against King Sandanes of Dachinabades, successfully conquering a lot of territories.
In the euphoria of victory, they decided also to take what remained of the Indo-Parthian kingdom, almost at the same time that the tocharian invasion.
The Indo-Scythians were the first to take Barbaricum.
The Indo-Parthians preferred to retire further west, under the protection of the Parthian empire, while the Tocharians and the Indo-Scythians were beginning to clash.
The first year, the Tocharians managed to push back Usavadata up to Barbaricum which was besieged. The town, supplied by sea, managed to hold, and after three months and a beginning of epidemic, the Tocharians retreated.
However, the following year, Vima invaded Abiria and took Ozene by surprise. Two months after, he destroyed an army come to retake the city, but Usavadata escaped to the disaster.
Thereafter, he marched upon Barygaza. After five months, the Tocharians made breaches in the walls.
The capture of Barygaza gave to Vima the control not only of Syrastrene, but also of Sattagydia.
Nonetheless, the fights didn't end since the Indo-scythians retreated into Ariaca that they held during almost two years, being even about to retake Barygaza in 839. But they had once more to retreat further east.
The battle of Paethana was an other defeat for Usavadata, now sole ruler of the Indo-Scythians since his father-in-law had found death in a skirmish a few time earlier.
The last battle occured at Tagara. Besieged in the citadel, Usavadata committed suicide.

The Tocharians were victorious.
Quote from Book 20
Kings of Asia by Publius Orestes

Nota Bene

About dates:
836 AUC = 83 AD
839 AUC = 86 AD
840 AUC = 87 AD

The history of the Kushans isn't very documented, so I've prefered to be not too precise. You can consider as OTL the first conquests of the Kushans until the capture of Taxila.
In this chapter, only Kujula, Vima I, Nahapana, Gondophares Sasan and Sodasa are OTL. Usavadata and Sandanes are ATL counterparts of the OTL characters.
IOTL, the Satavahana were victorious of the Indo-Scythians. ITTL, it's the contrary. A similar situation occured in OTL under Rudradaman Ist who was victorious of the Satavahana and took, a time, Sattygadia from the Kushans. ITTL, as this occurs earlier, the Kushans, already declining at the time of Rudradaman I it seems, are able to conquer Indo-Scythia.
The main geographic elements are based upon the Periplus of the Erythraean Sea (I used the text, but this is the link for the map) which was written about at the same time.
Nambanus can be identified to the western satrap Nahapana, and Sandanes to Gautamiputra Satakarni.
I've latinized as many I could the names:
Cozola Cadafes correspond to Kujula Kadphises, Vima Tacto to Vima Takto, Usavadata to Ushavadata.
I used the name of Tocharian for Yuezhi and the Kushans to who they are identified; it sounds more latin.

Last edited:
Nicolas%20Poussin-952458.jpg

The Flavian Plague in Roma

Chapter XIII

When Vespasianus Caesar returned at Roma in late summer 841, he was hailed as the greatest Princeps since Ausgustus Caesar.
During several weeks, great Ludi were organized to celebrate his victories and to get attached a roman people that the Imperator hadn't often seen since his rising to the Purple.

But soon, the misfortune hit.
It is said that the plague had been brought back by the legions after the taking of Ctesiphon, but it is sure that the epidemic spread first in Oriens.
Roma was reached in early spring 842.
None of the provinces of the empire was spared.
In Oriens, the disease was especially hard since a repression against rebellious Jews was still occuring; some even said to see there the sign the divine wrath.
During the many outbreaks wich occured for twenty years, near of ten millions of deads were recorded over a population of 80 millions.
Nevertheless, as the epidemic was less and less agressive as the years passed, the life slowly retook its normal course.
What's more, the emperor was even able to undertake a last campaign.

Indeed, the Iazyges, whose roads of migration towards the Pontus Euxinus had been cut by the conquest of Dacia, had begun to make raids into roman territory. The campaign ordered and led by the emperor to submit these nomads lasted two years, from 849 to 850.
The conquered area west to the flumen Pathissus was added to the province of Pannonia Inferior whose capital was moved to Aquincum in order to better control the new border. The lands east to the same river were added to the province of Dacia.

At the beginning of his principate, following the defeat of Vindex, Vespasianus Caesar had ordered a purge of the Senate, a purge which despite of being partial and minor had strained the relations between the senators and the Princeps.
Thus occured a major rupture of the imperial tradition. In the early empire, the military commands were reserved to members of the senatorial order. However, as he trusted more the equites, the Imperator appointed several of them to commands of legions and to key positions in the imperial administration; the exemple of Lucius Iulius Alexander was surely the most notable.
Among other military reforms which won him a great loyalty among the troops, he abolished the privileges of the Italians and enlarged the recruitment of the legionnaries to provincials, he improved the military annonae by officializing the institution, he increased the pays and authorized the legionnaries to marry and to legitimize their children.
Although he had accepted in a first time the senatorial confirmation, he sought by these reforms to forge his power by the military force and not in the legitimacy of the Senate. Towards the end of his principate, he even wanted to be called dominus instead of princeps.

Finally, in early 853, the one whose History retained only the reputation of 'last great roman conqueror' succumbed to an outbreak of the plague.
Quote from Letter 19

Nota Bene

About the dates:
841 AUC = 88 AD
842 AUC = 89 AD
849 AUC = 96 AD
850 AUC = 97 AD
853 AUC = 100 AD

All the characters of this chapter are ATL.
The flumen Parthissus is a latin name of the Tisza river.

Last edited:
galileo-034

Well that "History retained only the reputation of 'last great roman conqueror' " sounds like there's going to be no Trajan in TTL and that the period of imperial expansion is over.

Don't know enough about the history of the region to say anything on the much greater success of the Kushans, although given its size I'm wondering how stable the empire would be. That seems to be the history with India that occasionally a great state arises then seems often to collapse within a couple of generations.

Steve

In fact, the Vespasianus Caesar of this TL is a mix of the OTL characters of Vespasian and Trajan (EDIT: and of Septimius Severus). And his successor will be like Hadrian.

Concerning the Kushan empire, I plan to have the second century as their golden age, a century which will even see their conquest of Mesopotamia.
But with the third century, things will go bad with growing exterior threats (a Xianbei Khaganate lasting longer ITTL) and interior troubles (rising of rebellious and emancipation tendancies, first in India then in Persia). So, we will have a regression more or less progressive towards the old core of their power in central Asia.

Last edited: