Gettysburg AH TL: Is this not victory enough?

CHAPTER ONE

Part One: Chambersburg, Morning of June 28th, 1863

First light in Pennsylvania. It must be about half-past five in the morning. It will be a warm day, he thought, and then thought again: I should breakfast when I reach General Lee's headquarters. But no apples. He had seen what too many apples had done to men in Maryland, the last time around.

The sun came up and threw up long orange shadows. He could smell the camp before he could see it: it was always that way with an army, and especially this army. The stream of horses came up into the camp at a canter, flags flapping behind them. He gave permission for the rest of his staff to find something to eat, and then met Major Taylor.

Taylor was in high spirits. "Good morning General. Welcome to Messersmith's Woods. If you should like breakfast then we have a venerable mountain of bacon here. They say if you stand at the top you can see all the way home."

Not my home, he thought. Not South Carolina.

"I would like to see General Lee straight away."

He followed Taylor to Lee's tent. They were indeed cooking now. The move into Pennsylvania had been good for this army. Boys who had starved for months ate like kings. This was a fat country. Past tense.
Taylor leaned into Lee's tent. "General Longstreet is here to see you Sir." He could not hear what was said inside, but Taylor beckoned him in. Lee was sat at a chair, leaning backwards, eyes closed, hairs all stood up on the sides, in his waistcoat. He's not getting better, Longstreet thought. He'll be tired. Did he even sleep? The two men greeted one another. Lee, risen from his chair, nearly six feet but always looking eight or nine, stopped Taylor.

"Major Taylor, has there been any message from General Stuart?"

"No Sir. I will come to you at once when we have heard from him."

And Taylor was dismissed. Lee turned to Longstreet. "Something is very wrong. We have not heard from General Stuart at all. And last night I'm told that Mr Hooker has drawn off forces from Harpers Ferry. General Imboden has been instructed to see if it is still at all guarded." He sat down again. "I must know the position of the Federal Army." Longstreet said nothing. Long experience had taught him when Robert Lee had not finished speaking. "If I do not hear from General Stuart soon, I will send for him."

"Hooker is on the other side of the mountain," Longstreet said. Careful now. This isn't guesswork. "Our scout, Harrison, reports so. And he's coming up, quick. He's taking up men from garrison posts. Harper's Ferry must be one. There's talk in the papers of Lincoln relieving him, of course..." Longstreet shrugged.

"It would be his usual practice." Lee stood up, went to the map, leaned over, dragged a finger across it. "But we must look to our own positions." He cast his eyes upwards towards Longstreet. "It is of no significance whether Mister Hooker is replaced. We will fight them whoever they send against us. Now, if it's true that he's coming north, then our subsistence operations must come to a close there by tomorrow, and we must concentrate our army, at least by July second or third. No doubt they expect us to meet them at Carlisle, or Harrisburg. It's too far. We have to protect our trains..." Lee trailed off, in thought. Taylor brought in coffee, and left quickly.

Longstreet sighed. Outside it was now fully light. Today was now a fighting day. "Sir."

"General?"

"Sir. We do not need to fight. We have now enough supplies to see us through the winter. Our objective was to raid the north. We have done so. We can lay works at the Cashtown pass and across the Conococheague. The Cumberland is very defensible. Lincoln will make Hooker come to us, sir, and then we can finish him. If we attack, we risk the trains."

Lee stared. There was silence - a fly buzzed around the coffee mugs, and then came down and stood still. "You would have us lay works and stay here, when we know the enemy is across South Mountain? No, sir, we must strike him. Once I know where he is, I will strike him."

Silence, again. Longstreet said nothing, so Lee continued. "General Early is due to raid York today. General Hill will be in Carlisle today, and possibly Harrisburg by tomorrow. Once they have collected their supplies, we will concentrate our Army, and when General Stuart returns, we will strike. I want Ewell's Corps to move north, to Carlisle. Your Corps will guard this base of supply and the Cashtown pass." Longstreet said nothing.

Lee continued, gesturing to the map: "By keeping your Corps here, we will force Hooker to keep large parts of his Army here, as if they were moored to the South Mountain. I do believe your three Divisions will be enough to protect the Cashtown gap, there. When Ewell has met with General Jackson's Corps in the north, we can strike, from the north and east, and pin him against the mountain, in one broad stroke. Do you understand your orders, General?"

"Sir," Longstreet saluted.

Last edited:
The first post is longer than I had liked. The main point of departure here is that Jackson is not shot at Chancellorsville. I will try to be avoiding wanks and so on, although it will be written from the Confederate side I hope not to produce a pointless, biased piece of work. Maps will be available soon.

Summary: IOTL, Longstreet and AP Hill moved up the lower Cumberland Valley, with Ewell further up ahead in the Cumberland. They gathered quite a lot of supplies: Hooker moved up the Army of the Potomac in Maryland, but after arguing with Halleck, offered a resignation, which was accepted. He was replaced with Meade. The Armies converged on Gettysburg and the rest is history. In this TL, Jackson is in the north, with Ewell and Longstreet further down. Hooker doesn't offer a resignation, and he gets his troops from Harpers Ferry as requested (Lincoln may replace him later.) Stuart's still out of contact with Lee in this timeline.

Last edited:
Part Two: South of Carlisle, Evening of June 28th, 1863

You never got over those eyes, Dorsey thought, let alone all the other things. Sure, you can excuse a General any number of eccentricities. But those eyes, bright, blue, and always the same colour, but changing so powerfully and quickly in intensity - that you would never forget, never be able to ignore.

Thomas Jackson was sitting on his horse and munching a peach. Dorsey Pender, his newest Divisional Commander, had just arrived and the band had just stopped playing Dixie and Jackson was still eating a peach, even when he saluted Dorsey. Surely that wasn't all he was going to have for supper, Dorsey thought. You never know.

"If it would please you Sir, General Pender here to make my report, Sir."

"Yes, General."

"My Division is now in place where you directed it. We're just a mile out from General Hill's Division. The pickets are out and the troops are encamped."

Jackson munched on the peach. "General, have your men prepare for march."

Dorsey blinked. The boys would not want to march at night. Yes, they were well fed, but they were now resting. To bring them up to a night march meant the Army was in danger. "General?"

"I have spoken with General Early. He tells me that the ground in Gettysburg is very good, having passed through there several days ago. Two officers of his staff will accompany you to guide you, but you must go now, and you must go fast. I want you in the good ground in Gettysburg by tomorrow."

"If the town is occupied by the Federals, General, a night attack would be very difficult."

If the remark meant anything to Jackson, he did not show it. "If the town is occupied, you must move to the heights north of town and wait there. But do not engage. This Army is concentrating now, but our orders are still to avoid an engagement with the enemy." Jackson said the words slowly. "I know that General Lee will desire the good road junction at Gettysburg, and at York, where General Early is. You shall have General Hill's Division to support you in the morning if there's trouble. Somewhere beyond those mountains is the Army of Northern Virginia. They're coming to us, but we must take the good positions in this state before the enemy does."

"Yes, General."

"We must not allow the Yankees to determine our movements by their position. It must be us who determines their movements by our position. Do you understand this, General Pender?"

"Yes, Sir. I will go to my Division and issue your orders at once." Pender saluted. A night march, to Gettysburg. From here it was a good twenty miles, according to the map, and blind, with no cavalry. Possible, of course, but very, very, challenging. This is going to be a long night, he thought, moving off to his horse, and his Division.

Edit -- there's a rough map here, showing the movements of Ewell's Corps, and Pender. I'm adding an order of battle to the 2nd post as well. Unfortunately I had to use google to make the map, but it should be illustrative enough.

Q31NGMJ.png

Last edited:
Your voice is solid. I like the way you're showing your story. When you had Jackson talking, in my mind's eye I could hear Stephen Lang's version from Gods and Generals talking. AH storytelling is at its best when a writer makes a solid attempt to capture the voices of the historical characters. Subscribing.

Your voice is solid. I like the way you're showing your story. When you had Jackson talking, in my mind's eye I could hear Stephen Lang's version from Gods and Generals talking. AH storytelling is at its best when a writer makes a solid attempt to capture the voices of the historical characters. Subscribing.

Probably the only good thing about that movie/miniseries..

Stephen Lang can do anything.

So Jackson will inevitably be taking those hills?
I'm not sure yet. My opening idea was that the battle's prelude would develop the same way, but with Jackson instead of Ewell. Things are a bit different now. When Pender gets into Gettysburg he might get a surprise.

That's a great compliment. Thanks!

This is otherwise well done....

But you have committed an abomination having Stonewall eat anything but a lemon.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

1/10

I am joking, this is wonderful. Subscribed!
I agree it should've been a lemon, but the peach thing comes from a Shelby Foote quote about Jackson eating a peach at Sharpsburg. I wouldn't worry, there will be other "weird moments" for T. Jackson later on :)

This certainly looks promising. As others have mentioned, your Jackson was spot on. I really look forward to seeing how the Battle of Gettysburg develops moving forward.

Part Three: Cashtown, Morning of June 29th, 1863

"General Hood!" Lee slapped a salute to his brimmed hat. "Good morning to you General. I hope you are well today."

General Hood's horse moved only slightly. Longstreet considered him for a moment. Tall, prone to wildness, and very courageous - that was Sam Hood. The Brigade he'd brought up was one of the finest in this Army, as was his Division. A lot of people said that Hood was one of Lee's finest commanders. A lot of people, Longstreet knew, had said it should be Hood, and not Ewell, who took the Third Corps. When Sam Hood wants to speak, you oughta listen, Longstreet thought, so he stayed quiet for the conversation. The man would have his own way of explaining the situation to General Lee.

"General, Sir, I am very happy to see you. You have brightened this day, Sir." Hood offered a very smart salute. "May I make my report Sir?"

"Very well, General."

"Sir, I put my pickets out this morning, as ordered by General Longstreet, down the Chambersburg Pike. General Benning's Brigade is a little ways down the road now. Anyway, Sir, our pickets got close to Gettysburg, and General Benning, well Sir, he has told me that there's Yankee cavalry in Gettysburg. We broke off Sir, seeing as how your orders are not to bring on a big fight Sir. But I feared that if the Yankees came to possess Gettysburg, our lines with General Jackson might be in danger. My Division's half up on the Chambersburg Pike and we're ready to go into Gettysburg if you wish."

"No, General, we must not move forwards until we are in contact with General Jackson and General Stuart. I want no fight here until the whole Army is concentrated. You say there's cavalry. Could General Benning observe the quantity?"

"No Sir. We're not even sure what outfit they're from. Could be it's Buford or Kilpatrick. Could be it's both. They weren't too interested in fighting us themselves either, Sir."

"I want you to hold your Division at Cashtown, General. But make your boys ready in case we need to go to Gettysburg."

Hood saluted and pulled off with his horse, staff in pursuit. Lee turned to Longstreet. There was a quiet there, broken up by the sounds of marching on the Chambersburg Pike behind them. He is not happy, Longstreet thought. He feels betrayed. "General Stuart should have given warning," Lee said, and Longstreet renewed his thoughts. How many more fights did this man have in him - and why wouldn't he listen? They were silent for a little longer, watching the troops go on by. "What are your thoughts, General?" Lee said, finally.

"If the Federals get Gettysburg tomorrow, or today even, our three Corps will be broken up and this Army defeated in detail. That may be their plan. They must know our positions. We should push our skirmish lines out and feel this terrain. May be that we can protect the Cashtown gap from a forward position. May be.. may be that we can get the good ground here and force the Federals onto us."

"I agree. Certainly it would put us in a good position to attack, later, if our flanks were secure. You may execute this decision, General." Lee saluted and within moments he was off, Traveller taking him far away. Longstreet sighed. Now, to work.

Last edited:
Part Four: Gettysburg, Morning of June 29th, 1863

Pender sent his Chief of Staff and Deputy Commander to rest. If something happens to me, such as that I fall over and break my skull because of fatigue, you will need to be rested well to command this Division. That was his reasoning. Actually, he wasn't that tired, but more importantly, he wanted to be awake when Jackson arrived. This was his old Division, with his old Brigade in it. Pender knew that he had not been Jackon's first choice, and now he had to prove himself. It wouldn't be easy, he knew. He thought back to the march, when the troops were tired, beginning to flag a little, the roads not good for them and the night muggy and long. Then up had come the solitary horse with another fifteen trying to catch it up, and on that horse old Blue Lights, hand raised in the air, as if to touch God himself. A cry from the ranks, first at the back, then through the length of the column: look, it's Genn'l Jackson!

And Jackson, his hand held high in the air, finger pointing, and yelling too: Come on boys, we're going to Washington, we're going all the way to Washington!

Pender could have sworn it: that Brigade nearly went into quick-march. How did it go, again? What matter if our shoes are worn? What matter if our feet are torn? Quick-step! we're with him before morn!

He realised he was tired, in fact, and that this idle memory-bringing was distracting him from his task. He dismounted his horse, stepped to the end of the ridge, and looked out over the town. Gettysburg. How many roads? Eight... nine... ten? And those ridges and hills, all around. This was going to be an important town, he thought. Could be the main battle happens here. So Jackson was right after all. He felt for his sword in its scabbard. There would be a fight, then.

There was a shout from a short ways away. "General Pender! General Pender! There's Yankee cavalry in the town!"

Pender fumbled for his eyeglass. Yes, there they were, blue boys on fine horses, fine well fed horses, with fine well made carbines, and big pennants. Who was it? Buford? Kilpatrick? It didn't matter. He called up a couple of runners and sent out orders: he had two Brigades which had a little rest at least, and they could be moved. He sent General Stueart and Jones' Brigade to the east of town, on the big heights by the road to York, and ordered them set up there, with a battery each, on the good ground where they couldn't be moved except by a Corps of Union infantry. He put in the other two two Brigades, which had just completed their march, around the heights on the Carlisle road. Jackson had given him strong orders - don't start a fight. Take the good ground and wait. Well, his boys were tired, and there was Yankee cavalry here now, but...

But the good ground was on the other side of town.

He sent for a runner and wrote down a note to Jackson: Have occupied heights north of Gettysburg. Yankee cavalry are present. Request your presence upon this field.

The General would come, Pender knew. Jackson would come to Gettysburg.

(A note here: this Division is the one commanded IOTL by Edward Johnson.)

Md139115

Banned
One minor nitpick that I only just noticed:

AP Hill is probably the more likely choice for promotion than Ewell. He had vicious arguments with both Longstreet and Jackson, so Lee might have desired to give him his own command.

Then again, Ewell has seniority, so it really does come down to authorial fiat.