Getting Ahead of Ourselves: A B-29 TL

So the IJA has stripped Manchuria, they're that confident the USSR won't turn on them? Oh my, between that and the improved logistics from not having the CCP interdicting their supply lines, Japan's forces in southern china have gotten quite the shot in the arm! And now I'm worrying the IJA will try to fight on even if the Japanese mainland surrenders.

Yeah, mostly It's because the Soviet side of the border is more or less deserted as well. It's sorta a "You got shit to deal with, I got shit to deal with, let's not give eachother more shit to deal with"
Interesting, my understanding is the Soviets historically did not denude the far east (Siberia yes, Outer Manchuria no)- did they also move those forces west in case war with the WAllies breaks out?

Interesting, my understanding is the Soviets historically did not denude the far east (Siberia yes, Outer Manchuria no)- did they also move those forces west in case war with the WAllies breaks out?
Mostly, and either way Japan is in no shape to invade Siberia.

Final Hop, Part 3
As late April turned to May, the Shuri continued to stand against a massive bombardment from land air and sea. By March 30th, the average rate of advance was just 50 yards per day. For many officers and senior NCOs, the fighting brought back unpleasent memories of the Western front, though most who saw both considered Okinawa worse. That the island was to be a bloodbath was not lost on General Eichelburger during the planning for Operation Buckshot, and so he'd been granted permission to call in help.

The RAFs no. 617 squadron, more commonly known as "The dambusters" had gained fame for their destruction of several key dams in Germany in 1943, and crippling the battleship Tirpitz in the Autumn of 1944. They'd begun transferring to the Pacific back in December, intending to help in the battle of Formosa. However delays in getting aircraft and ordinance ready meant they weren't operational until April. The higher ups in the Pacifoc had been clncered about the effect that more foreign assistance would have on morale, but in fact the soldiers were overjoyed that they were getting help to drive the Japanese out of their tunnels.

The dambusters had arrived with dozens of six ton "tallboy" and several 11 ton "grand slam" earthquake bombs, and were provided with American copies to replace them. The attacks initally encountered problems however. The accuracy was actually considered superb by their American counterparts, as the heavy bombs punched straight through the jet stream. The issue was the actually finding a target to hit was not easy. Many initial targets were simply exit points for the Japanese ambushes, which were rarely near any major troop areas. One radioman likened it to "Trying to kill an ant colony by throwing a cherry bomb at the hill." In many cases all these bombs did was make the exit points larger, and didn't kill many enemy soldiers at all.

Later, the marines operating underground tried to pinpoint enemy barracks and other large chambers underground, but even when they did, translating their location so that a bomber crew five miles up would know where to aim was difficult. Accuracy improved over time, but the dambusters never reached the level of fame they achieved in Europe.

Meanwhile the infantry tried their own methods for flushing out the Japanese. In some cases seabees brought in drilling equipment to bore holes into the tunnels and caves, into which water, napalm, gasoline, or even field latrine sewage were poured in. The Japanese did have pumps, but as fuel ran out many of the lower areas became uninhabitable. Disease became rampant as the sweltering tunnels filled with water and bodies, and at its peak nearly 20,000 American soldiers were listed sick, and 3,000 would ultimately die of diease.

Conditions for the Japanese were no less brutal. Many wounded were forced to remain at the front, as the underground hospitals soon ran out of room and medicine. In one rare case of the dambusters success, the headquarters of the 44th mixed brigade was cut off when a grand slam caved in the only exit. 1,500 soldiers were trapped, including two generals and 120 Okinawan schoolgirls who'd been conscripted as staff and medical personel. The HQ had a ventilation shaft that didn't require power, but it was too small to exit.

The tunnel soon became known to the Americans, but even after the end of the fighting there were concerns that the Japanese would not surrender. As such, the HQ (Called "the den" by marines) was not opened until June of 1946, by which point only 46 men remained alive, having subsisted off of leaking rainwater, and their comrades bodies. Even after the fighting ended, the den became one final horrific bookend to the terrors of Kuribayashi-style warfare.

Jesus christ that was a dark ending. Treating a sealed bunker of enemy soldiers like it's a sealed temple of doom because the fighting was so traumatic. I doubt the 46 survivors will ever be normal. Cool to see the Dambusters get some action though.

Given that “the den” remains closed until the summer of 46 things have some space to get quite darker still. Also it’s worth noting that the (detected) vent shaft wasn’t just plumbed or gassed—it’s a “trolly problem” warcrime.

Part 60- Fall of the Eagle
By the final week of April, 1945, the German situation was completely hopeless. Berlin was encirlled, Its forces rapidly being liquidated by General Chuikov and his 8th guards army. On April 26th, both USSTAF and Bomber command issued a join declaration ending all strategic bombing in Europe, due to a lack of remaining viable targets.

The Polish army had continued to slowly remobilize, made difficult by thw domestic arms industry being dismantled and then sabotaged by the Germans. On April 25th the Polish army consisted of 16 infantry and three cavalry divisions, as well as three armored brigades. Of these divisions, 13 were on a continuous front the ran South of Berlin towards Bautzen (Where that they they met American forces at Torgau) one had been volunteered to fight in the liquidation of Berlin, and five were either training or helping to repair and garrison the shattered Polish infrastructure.

The Polish Army was still a mess when it came to equpiment. Some were relics that the resistance memebers had hidden since 1939. Others were captured German weapons, Anglo-American equiment still being flown into Warsaw, and what little the Soviets had provided them, as well as an increasing number of Soviet vehicles salvaged from the field. Already General Bór-Komorowski was planning a massive reform of the Polish military, his so called "Yankee on the ground, Tommy in the sky" plan was intended to use the equipment free Polish forces were mostly familier with, as they were expected to be the foundation of the new Military.

In the Air the Polish forces were no less jumbled. Aircraft had been easier to deliver from the West, 150 Hurricanes and 75 Beaufighters, many flown in by their Polish crews had been delivered. These joined nearly 300 Soviet aircraft, some gifted, some bought, and some kitbashed from wrecks. Overall though many of the units held in reserve were eager for revenge, and somewhat miffed at being held back. Most felt they were trained and equipped enough, and that there was no reason to wait.

They would find out why in the early hours of the 27th, as Poland found itself in another fight for its existance.

Pangur

Donor
By the final week of April, 1945, the German situation was completely hopeless. Berlin was encirlled, Its forces rapidly being liquidated by General Chuikov and his 8th guards army. On April 26th, both USSTAF and Bomber command issued a join declaration ending all strategic bombing in Europe, due to a lack of remaining viable targets.

The Polish army had continued to slowly remobilize, made difficult by thw domestic arms industry being dismantled and then sabotaged by the Germans. On April 25th the Polish army consisted of 16 infantry and three cavalry divisions, as well as three armored brigades. Of these divisions, 13 were on a continuous front the ran South of Berlin towards Bautzen (Where that they they met American forces at Torgau) one had been volunteered to fight in the liquidation of Berlin, and five were either training or helping to repair and garrison the shattered Polish infrastructure.

The Polish Army was still a mess when it came to equpiment. Some were relics that the resistance memebers had hidden since 1939. Others were captured German weapons, Anglo-American equiment still being flown into Warsaw, and what little the Soviets had provided them, as well as an increasing number of Soviet vehicles salvaged from the field. Already General Bór-Komorowski was planning a massive reform of the Polish military, his so called "Yankee on the ground, Tommy in the sky" plan was intended to use the equipment free Polish forces were mostly familier with, as they were expected to be the foundation of the new Military.

In the Air the Polish forces were no less jumbled. Aircraft had been easier to deliver from the West, 150 Hurricanes and 75 Beaufighters, many flown in by their Polish crews had been delivered. These joined nearly 300 Soviet aircraft, some gifted, some bought, and some kitbashed from wrecks. Overall though many of the units held in reserve were eager for revenge, and somewhat miffed at being held back. Most felt they were trained and equipped enough, and that there was no reason to wait.

They would find out why in the early hours of the 27th, as Poland found itself in another fight for its existance.
I suspect that`s not what you mean, as written this means the murder of every single German in Berlin .

NOTE I deleted a previous post where I made the same point but quoted the wrong text

I suspect that`s not what you mean, as written this means the murder of every single German in Berlin .

NOTE I deleted a previous post where I made the same point but quoted the wrong text
Yeah I meant just the armed Germany forces, Berlin was just shorthand for that.

Although as a city under siege without the protection of Geneva, it would be lawful to liquidate Berlin, as any resident is a combatant due to failure to surrender / overthrow the garrison. The Soviet Union doesn't hunger for that though, and after the "three days," will restore order. And of course they're preoccupied by not having a fascistic / Western Poland aimed at their heart. The Polish and Soviet armies are likely to have complex existing relations with information flows both formal and informal due to individuals and their networks. The hint above that the Polish know what is coming to a certain extent is likely to be true. If not at the first genesis, then as the orders flow downwards.

Part 61- Here we go Again

Torgau, April 27th, 1945 0745​

Sergeant Major Dabrowski yawned as he tried to shake off his hangover. So much for the Krauts having shitty wine he thought groggily the next frog who says that is getting slapped. Still he couldn't complain, the mayor had surrendered the town almost without a shot being fired. The only garrison had been a few half armed (sometimes literally) militia and the local hitler youth chapter. They were all still here, just disarmed and stripped of their uniforms. The Yank POW camps were full to bursting as is, and the brass didn't like the odds for a bunch of schoolchildren sent East. The mayor seemed ready to weep with joy when all they'd demanded was his wine cellar.

"Bitterman" he smacked at his still snoring comrade "What the hell man? You were supposed to wake up the squad at six with the new orders." "Yeah, I was" Bitterman slurred, still clearly smashed "And ya know I got up at 0545, right? And guess what? Not one fucking peak from anybody. I even had Goulet check the radio to make sure if it was busted. Nope, sombodies gettin' fired for this one. Besides, why you bein' such a tightass? War'll be over in a week, better we just get sloshed than get sent into Leipzig or Bautzen or one of those stupid ass kraut towns."

Dabrowski gave up on getting anything useful out of him, and went to find corporal Goulet. That American engineer had been one of a few flown in to help Warsaw get its bridges repaired back during the siege, and since nobody ever came to pick him up, he'd tagged along with 1st independant parachute brigade, now the 3rd Polish Airborne. They now made up the Southern tip of the Polish contribution to the Eastern front, beyond them it was reds as far the eye could see.

He ran into Goulet as soon as he'd left the town hall. "Steve! Glad I caught you. Bitterman says the radio was quiet this morning, that true?" "Seems to be, I checked with two other squads, nobodies heard anything since last night. Anyway glad I caught you too, I'm heading out." "Oh yeah? Ike finally remembered you exist?" "Yep! Even got promoted a week ago, just outran the courier. I'm even getting leave, so in a week I'll be drowning in French tail." Dabrowski laughed at that "As if! But really, thank you for all you've done, I hope we never have to repay our debt." He offered his hand. Goulet took it "Anytime. Do me a favor and tell Bitterman he's an ass-"

Just than the radio cracked to life. It wasn't the voice they'd grown used to, nor was it as loud. "Hello hello!?" the speaker called, clearly not well composed "The Polish government has been compromised, the status of the Prime minister and provisional government is not clear. Ignore any tranmissions, offical or otherwise until further notice. To all divisional commanders: Peking II is now in affect. To all our soldiers at home and abroad, continue the fight. Poland is not yet lost!!"

Dabrowski felt a chilly familiarity as he listen to that announcement. But even more chilling, there was no playing of the anthem after that speech, just more dead air.

Operation Thinkable, an unprecedended slaughter that yet is probably safer for the future generation than trying to roll the dice on the Cold War staying that TTL as well.