Geronimo : What if Osama Bin Laden was killed prior to 9/11?

How does the 9/4 attacks affect the airline industry long term and would anyone notice that the World Trade Center is vulnerable to an event like 9/4?
From what I remember Russia ended up nationalizing their airlines, but IDT it impacted the industry outside of Russia much if at all. As for the WTC, as many have noted, the attacks won't have a lasting impact on security in the US except maybe the FAA requiring locks on cockpit doors. Most Americans will see 9/4 as a heinous crime, but something that could never happen in America.

From what I remember Russia ended up nationalizing their airlines, but IDT it impacted the industry outside of Russia much if at all. As for the WTC, as many have noted, the attacks won't have a lasting impact on security in the US except maybe the FAA requiring locks on cockpit doors. Most Americans will see 9/4 as a heinous crime, but something that could never happen in America.
Hopefully that would be the case ITTL since AL Queda is much weaker with Bin Laden killed back in 1998.

With 9/11 never happening does the 2000s become an extension of the 90s in American pop culture like the Y2K aesthetic remaining popular till the Great Recession or cell shaded graphics in video games becoming much more common then in OTL?

With 9/11 never happening does the 2000s become an extension of the 90s in American pop culture like the Y2K aesthetic remaining popular till the Great Recession or cell shaded graphics in video games becoming much more common then in OTL?
Without the September 11th attacks, it's probably a more gradual transition rather than a sudden one going from the 90s into the 2000s, culture-wise at least. I say that the feelings of the 1990s end by 2004 is my best guess.

Without the September 11th attacks, it's probably a more gradual transition rather than a sudden one going from the 90s into the 2000s, culture-wise at least. I say that the feelings of the 1990s end by 2004 is my best guess.
ITTL the 2000s will probably be seen as a transition decade between the 1990s and 2010s, with the Great Recession marking the beginning of the cultural vibes of the 2010s

ITTL the 2000s will probably be seen as a transition decade between the 1990s and 2010s, with the Great Recession marking the beginning of the cultural vibes of the 2010s
Even in a world where 9/11 and GWOT never happened I still believe the 2010s in the US of ITTL would start to converge with OTL with Americans especially Millennials faring the worst having to deal with things they thought would never happen in their lifetimes like unemployment, student loan debt and unaffordable housing but unlike OTL it would be president Edwards would have to deal with the recession and it’s a possibility that he might be a one term president.

Even in a world where 9/11 and GWOT never happened I still believe the 2010s in the US of ITTL would start to converge with OTL with Americans especially Millennials faring the worst having to deal with things they thought would never happen in their lifetimes like unemployment, student loan debt and unaffordable housing but unlike OTL it would be president Edwards would have to deal with the recession and it’s a possibility that he might be a one term president.
It's possible that the recession might not be as bad as OTL. If the shit starts to hit the fan around the same time as OTL Edwards most likely loses in 2008, if it's delayed he's reelected, but he'll still be stuck with the aftermath, and I imagine he'll become quite unpopular over the course of his second term, leading to a Republican victory in 2012. Ultimately I know like nothing about economics so idk how realistic the recession being significantly different from OTL is.

It's possible that the recession might not be as bad as OTL. If the shit starts to hit the fan around the same time as OTL Edwards most likely loses in 2008, if it's delayed he's reelected, but he'll still be stuck with the aftermath, and I imagine he'll become quite unpopular over the course of his second term, leading to a Republican victory in 2012. Ultimately I know like nothing about economics so idk how realistic the recession being significantly different from OTL is.
Maybe but I still believe the severity of the Recession would be similar to OTL and if it last just as long then ITTL there would of been an era of one term presidents from 2004 till 2012 when let’s say the sitting president is a Republican the economy by 2012 is still abysmal and poor handling of Hurricane Sandy that let’s say Obama runs for president promising change like in OTL’s 2008 campaign and wins, he might be more aggressive in his economic policy since by 2013 the Democrats would likely gained a majority both in the House and Senate which they won earlier during the 2010 mid terms.

With 9/4 instead of 9/11, how does it impact Russia-US relations
Though he emphasized that states should of course pursue their own national interests and “national spheres” warning of perceived Western encroachment. He said that it was now the duty in this modern age, for the world's ‘moral leaders’ (Russia and the United States) to uphold the modern international order, and if necessary intervene to stop dangerous ‘destabilizing elements’. The remarks marked a watershed for Putin’s public foreign policy, which was both vaguely revanchist referring openly to the Pan-Russian world, while at the same time conciliatory, calling the United States a ‘partner in resolving international issues’ and supporting a military doctrine of pre-emptive strikes and interventionism.
Way better

I'd say the 90s would probably end between 2004 and 2007.
Maybe but I still believe the severity of the Recession would be similar to OTL and if it last just as long then ITTL there would of been an era of one term presidents from 2004 till 2012 when let’s say the sitting president is a Republican the economy by 2012 is still abysmal and poor handling of Hurricane Sandy that let’s say Obama runs for president promising change like in OTL’s 2008 campaign and wins, he might be more aggressive in his economic policy since by 2013 the Democrats would likely gained a majority both in the House and Senate which they won earlier during the 2010 mid terms.
Wouldn't some of Edwards's policies help make the effects of the Recession less severe?

Last edited:
I'd say the 90s would probably end between 2004 and 2007.

In general, a decade's culture doesn't completely take over until the year ending in "2" or "3".

For example, 70s fashion didn't completely die out until about 1982 or '83, while 80s fashion could be seen as late as 1993 or so.

Without 9/11, 90s culture likely continues until around 2002-03.

Wouldn't some of Edwards's policies help make the effects of the Recession less severe?

Yes, but if the economy goes into a recession before the 2008 election, Edwards is toast regardless.

If the Great Recession is less severe, then the '08 election would probably be less devastating for the Democrats than it was for the Republicans IOTL.

Yes, but if the economy goes into a recession before the 2008 election, Edwards is toast regardless.

If the Great Recession is less severe, then the '08 election would probably be less devastating for the Democrats than it was for the Republicans IOTL.
Do you think he'll try to cheat on his cancer ridden wife like in OTL?