Germanized Czech?

In a scenario without a WWI or WWII, do you guys think Czechs would be Germanized by now, like the Irish were Anglicized?

Germans were 25% of Czechoslovakia population and almost 1/3 of Czech lands prior WWII and I guess a big share of ethnic Czechs knew German.

What are your thoughts?

In a scenario without a WWI or WWII, do you guys think Czechs would be Germanized by now, like the Irish were Anglicized?

Germans were 25% of Czechoslovakia population and almost 1/3 of Czech lands prior WWII and I guess a big share of ethnic Czechs knew German.

What are your thoughts?

It would be too late to Germanize the Czechs.

Too late. The Czech National Revival has seen to that.

Stopping that might make my life easier by having Czechs speak German, but they'll still be culturally distinct.

And what would be the German-speaking share by now in this scenario? It would remain stable or German language would gain some ground?

Too late. The Czech National Revival has seen to that.

Stopping that might make my life easier by having Czechs speak German, but they'll still be culturally distinct.

Yes, culturally different for sure. Germanized here is in the sense of German language. That's why I brought the Irish as an example: speaking English despite the historical animosity.

And what would be the German-speaking share by now in this scenario? It would remain stable or German language would gain some ground?

Czechs and Germans seems to have pretty similar birthrate until after WWII. I expect a lot will depend on the future development of Bohemia. If the German Belt turn into a rust belt, it may have some demographic effects, but this is not given.

So in general I would expect Germans to stay around 25% of the population. The only exception would be if the Vienna Metropolitan region begins to spread into Moravia, that’s the main way I could see the German population expanding.

If Czechia is under a German state then why can't we see a linguistic Germanization? At the very list the mixed areas would see German taking over and I'd imagine virtually everyone would have German as a second language, creating fragile diglossic situations in some regions.

If Czechia is under a German state then why can't we see a linguistic Germanization? At the very list the mixed areas would see German taking over and I'd imagine virtually everyone would have German as a second language, creating fragile diglossic situations in some regions.

Because it wouldn’t be under such a state in the POD, but even if they were it’s questionable if it could happen. Czech had a high literacy rate in their own language, they made use of their own language in most context, the German region bordering Bohemia was rich and as such would not see a influx of immigrants to Bohemia. A active anti-Czech language policies, mixed with deportation and rehousing of Germans in Czech areas could likely shift the language, but unless these policies are specific mentioned, I won’t count them.

Because it wouldn’t be under such a state in the POD, but even if they were it’s questionable if it could happen. Czech had a high literacy rate in their own language, they made use of their own language in most context, the German region bordering Bohemia was rich and as such would not see a influx of immigrants to Bohemia. A active anti-Czech language policies, mixed with deportation and rehousing of Germans in Czech areas could likely shift the language, but unless these policies are specific mentioned, I won’t count them.

What about a smaller Austria, formed by Austria proper, Slovenia and Czechia? Such state could potentially exist in a non-WI TL. Aside being very German itself, it would probably have very strong economic and political links with Germany, propelling the German language even further.

What about a smaller Austria, formed by Austria proper, Slovenia and Czechia? Such state could potentially exist in a non-WI TL. Aside being very German itself, it would probably have very strong economic and political links with Germany, propelling the German language even further.

It really depend on the policies such a state embrace and what kind of government it have. If it’s a Austro-fascist state it will embrace different policis than if it’s Social Democratic or Marxist. It also depend on how such a state happens, if AH collapse in civil war with 2 million German and a million Jews flee from Hungary and another 1 million Jews fleeing from Galicia and most of them end up settled in Bohemia, it will of course effect the linguistic situation of Bohemia.

When I saw this thread, I though of an interest article I read a year or so ago. It explained why the Czechs do not speak German. I know that this took place prior to 1900 but it is still an interesting article.

"Back in the 17th century, when it was known as the Kingdom of Bohemia, the Czech Republic fell under Habsburg (aka Austrian) rule and their language nearly disappeared. In the end, it was saved completely unintentionally by something rather peculiar."