German renaming of Stalingrad and Leningrad in the unlikely event they were taken?

In the supremely unlikely event that the Germans took and held Stalingrad and/or Leningrad, would the cities have been renamed and if so, to what? Dumb question to ask, I know, but it was bothering me for some reason.

The only really dumb question is the one that isn't asked. It's hard to know for sure, but the Germans might have called these cities Sankt Petersburg and Wolgograd.

I believe that the Germans intended to raze Leningrad. For Stalingrad, I think a more "German" name is more likely, like say, Wolgaburg.

In the supremely unlikely event that the Germans took and held Stalingrad and/or Leningrad, would the cities have been renamed and if so, to what? Dumb question to ask, I know, but it was bothering me for some reason.

The cities would have been razed brick by brick and everyone in them killed.

I believe that the Germans intended to raze Leningrad. For Stalingrad, I think a more "German" name is more likely, like say, Wolgaburg.

Actually they were going to raze that one, too, killing off the entire male population and sending all the women and kids into slave labor. This was made an explicit objective of the 1942 strike, and if it somehow happens you get the same Rape of Nanking-style hardening of Allied opinion guaranteeing German is spoken only in Hell and Luxemburg.

As jacobus said the plan for Lenningrad was Lake Lenningrad and I assume something similar for Stalingrad. I believe the intention was to turn Stalingrad into a massive memorial of the failures and weaknesses of Slav's/Communism and their inferiority to the Aryan Master Race.

As jacobus said the plan for Lenningrad was Lake Lenningrad and I assume something similar for Stalingrad. I believe the intention was to turn Stalingrad into a massive memorial of the failures and weaknesses of Slav's/Communism and their inferiority to the Aryan Master Race.

No, actually, the plan was simpler: raze the buildings, steal the factories and loot them, kill all the men in mass executions, enslave the women and children. Think Lidice on a far vaster scale.

Actually they were going to raze that one, too, killing off the entire male population and sending all the women and kids into slave labor. This was made an explicit objective of the 1942 strike, and if it somehow happens you get the same Rape of Nanking-style hardening of Allied opinion guaranteeing German is spoken only in Hell and Luxemburg.

...and Switzerland

Moscow was to be razed, much like Warsaw, with Moscow only remaining the name of the Reichskommissariat. It would just become the name of the region after final German settlement. Saint Petersburg was going to be trasnferred to the Finnish, so it would really be up to them, and most likely, they would just rename it either Saint Petersburg or possibly name it after Mannerheim.

EDIT: Misread Stalingrad as Moscow somehow....eitehr way, I can see them retaining the city of Stalingrad, but only as Wehrmacht outpost, so as to control the flow of oil from the Caucuses to Germany unharmed.

Moscow was to be razed, much like Warsaw, with Moscow only remaining the name of the Reichskommissariat. It would just become the name of the region after final German settlement. Saint Petersburg was going to be trasnferred to the Finnish, so it would really be up to them, and most likely, they would just rename it either Saint Petersburg or possibly name it after Mannerheim.

EDIT: Misread Stalingrad as Moscow somehow....eitehr way, I can see them retaining the city of Stalingrad, but only as Wehrmacht outpost, so as to control the flow of oil from the Caucuses to Germany unharmed.

Warsaw wasn't razed... it had the living shit blown out of it in 2 massive military operations and 10 murder spree/sweeps but the germans didn't out and out wipe the city from the earth

Warsaw wasn't razed... it had the living shit blown out of it in 2 massive military operations and 10 murder spree/sweeps but the germans didn't out and out wipe the city from the earth

They were going to, by the end of the war, they were trying their best to do it. To this day, historical parts of Warsaw have yet to be rebuilt.

They were going to, by the end of the war, they were trying their best to do it. To this day, historical parts of Warsaw have yet to be rebuilt.

They occupied the city for 5 years and didn't do it

including 11 months between the fall of france and barbarossa where they could have used forces for such an exercise without much difficulty

No, actually, the plan was simpler: raze the buildings, steal the factories and loot them, kill all the men in mass executions, enslave the women and children. Think Lidice on a far vaster scale.

Raze the buildings: done
Steal the factories: smashed, so no need to bother
Kill all the men: they were in Red Army and taking the city would mean killing the anyway
Enslave the women and children: most evacuated east, in Red Army or dead

They occupied the city for 5 years and didn't do it

including 11 months between the fall of france and barbarossa where they could have used forces for such an exercise without much difficulty

When Warsaw uprising started (the 1944 one) Himmler was glad because they finally got to destroy that great slavic city. Did their best to actually do it as well.

Raze the buildings: done
Steal the factories: smashed, so no need to bother
Kill all the men: they were in Red Army and taking the city would mean killing the anyway
Enslave the women and children: most evacuated east, in Red Army or dead

No, not quite. If we look at their objectives, this was what was intended as the original goal of the Battle of Stalingrad *before* Richtoften's infamous raid that gave the USSR a splendid starting point for urban warfare. The USSR also did not, significantly, evacuate civilians so the refugees would not clog up its armies' abilities to fight, while the Germans had plenty of non-combatant men to give the Babi Yar treatment.

The plans for post war Germany were to have Warsaw razed and in its place, have a small quaint German village populated by Germanized Dutch.

The Finnish name for St. Petersburg is Pietari. As for Volgagrad, after the city had been depopulated, I believe the Nazis would have made use of any remaining assets and infrastructure that could be made useful, rebuilt it according to their design and repopulated it with German and other "suitable" colonists. The site itself is worth holding on to.

No, not quite. If we look at their objectives, this was what was intended as the original goal of the Battle of Stalingrad *before* Richtoften's infamous raid that gave the USSR a splendid starting point for urban warfare.

Well, objectives or no, those were the results. :p

The USSR also did not, significantly, evacuate civilians so the refugees would not clog up its armies' abilities to fight, while the Germans had plenty of non-combatant men to give the Babi Yar treatment.

Actually, they did evacuate civilians, just not in time before that raid.

The Finnish name for St. Petersburg is Pietari. As for Volgagrad, after the city had been depopulated, I believe the Nazis would have made use of any remaining assets and infrastructure that could be made useful, rebuilt it according to their design and repopulated it with German and other "suitable" colonists. The site itself is worth holding on to.

Yeah I can see that, but given its location, and strategic importance, it would need a heavy garrison of Wehrmact. One of the really delusional things about the Nazi planning, (besides you know, all of it), was that the settlers would become Wehrbauren Peasant-Farmer-Soldiers. Yes because that son of the accountant is going to want to be a forever soldier right?:rolleyes: