German HSF Sortie March 1918 ~ V.III ~

Still here and now moving house over Christmas! lol :D

On the bright side, as it is Christmas, and as it is my last day of work today, I should be able to concentrate a bit more on the edits (They are harder to find than I thought they would be!) :eek:

Hi,

i suggest you write more fascinating stuff.... go go go

Hi,

I suggest you write more fascinating stuff.... go go go
lol

Still re-editing the TL! Surprising how much you need to edit once you start to tinker with things. How one modified ship design leads to so much tinkering is beyond me! Seriously, it is just unbeleviable! haha

On the bright side, I am still working on the TL! :)

Taking all suggestions of edits too! Here or PM. Dosn't matter :)

Oh and as a side note... Any Ukranian speakers in my readership? If so, does Korol mean King in Ukranian, or is it Korolj?

There is some confusion with Google translate on the subject.

Thanks! :)

Oh and as a side note... Any Ukranian speakers in my readership? If so, does Korol mean King in Ukranian, or is it Korolj?

There is some confusion with Google translate on the subject.

Without bothering to go downstairs and look up my good dictionary (I don't speak many languages well, but I do have LOTS of dictionaries:)), it looks like the Ukrainian for king is "король". Now that last letter is a 'soft sign' and how it gets turned into English is ... variable. Sometimes it's rendered as an accent/apostrophe " l' ", sometimes as a y sound " lj " (or " ly " ), again depending on your transliteration scheme. "y" isn't usually used for the English y sound because it usually gets conscripted for one of the i-sh sounds, so "j" is given the German/Polish/whatever value and used for that sound.

A soft sign in Russian/Ukrainian is very like an 'h' in Portuguese (lh, nh) or the equivalents in Spanish (ll - classical or ñ), or the prefixed 'g's in Italian "gl" and "gn".

Does that help, or did you know all that and you saw a totally different spelling somewhere?

Last edited:
umm I am confused more! lol

I goggle translated that and it is indeed "King" which is sweet, but I was after it in the normal alphabet and not in Cryllic - I think that is where I get stuck on the translation. Sorry, I should have made that clear initally. :eek:

I am after the Ukranian of "King" in the roman alphabet, and not in Cryllic please! :)

To be fair though, if there are several possible translations of the word from Cryllic into the roman alphabet and I have one of them then that is sweet! :)

umm I am confused more! lol

I goggle translated that and it is indeed "King" which is sweet, but I was after it in the normal alphabet and not in Cryllic - I think that is where I get stuck on the translation. Sorry, I should have made that clear initally. :eek:

I am after the Ukranian of "King" in the roman alphabet, and not in Cryllic please! :)

To be fair though, if there are several possible translations of the word from Cryllic into the roman alphabet and I have one of them then that is sweet! :)
Let's try again, then.
" Korol ", " Korol' " or " Korolj " would all work. It all depends on how you transliterate, and how much you anglicize. I'd use the apostrophe, myself.

First off, I LOVE this thread!

Second, I've got some questions related to the IJN ITTL.

1) Does Kako get completed as the fourth Sendai-class CL, or as the second Furutaka-class CA? If the latter, is there a fourth Sendai-class CL, and what is her name? Or if it's the former, what's the name of the second Furutaka-class CA?

2) When were BBs Tosa and Kaga commissioned?

Keep up the great work...I can't WAIT to see what happens next!

-Matt

First off, I LOVE this thread!

Second, I've got some questions related to the IJN ITTL.

1) Does Kako get completed as the fourth Sendai-class CL, or as the second Furutaka-class CA? If the latter, is there a fourth Sendai-class CL, and what is her name? Or if it's the former, what's the name of the second Furutaka-class CA?

2) When were BBs Tosa and Kaga commissioned?

Keep up the great work...I can't WAIT to see what happens next!

-Matt

What happens next is a wait! I have gone back to the first chapter/installment for a spell check and OMG was I shocked! lol Basically, I am making minor tweaks and corrections throughout now, so..... Will update the website with the corrections on a yearly basis, once I get over the hurdle of 1918 and all it's minor tweaks.

Anywho, answers to your questions.

1) The IJN Kako is commissioned as the fourth of 8 Sendai Class Cruisers ITTL (None were cancelled). I have names for 7x of these ships as per their OTL planned names. Wiki page here. While Furutaka Class Heavy Cruisers are both built ITTL, I don't have a name drempt up for the second one. All suggestions for both ships names welcomed! I have a long list of taken names for various ships, so several suggestions are recommended ;)

2) Tosa and Kaga were commissioned as BBs in... Ummmm Not sure. It's not in the thread! :eek: May have been a website-only edit though. Hold on.....

It was a website-only edit. I probably realized too late that I hadn't included it on the forums :eek: There are a few hiccups like that.

IJN Kaga was commissioned on December 28th 1922
IJN Tosa was commissioned on April 14th 1923

Reasonably close to their planned OTL commissioning dates (Wiki the Tosa Class Battleship page for more info)

1) The IJN Kako is commissioned as the fourth of 8 Sendai Class Cruisers ITTL (None were cancelled). I have names for 7x of these ships as per their OTL planned names. Wiki page here. While Furutaka Class Heavy Cruisers are both built ITTL, I don't have a name drempt up for the second one. All suggestions for both ships names welcomed! I have a long list of taken names for various ships, so several suggestions are recommended ;)

Originally the Naka Class (or sometimes called Sendai Class) cruiser was to ba a class of eight vessels, reduced to half the number first and then even only three. Names taken over, or dropped completely were: Kako(加古?), Ayase(綾瀬?), Minase(水無瀬?), Otonase (音無瀬?) and one unnamed last vessel.

ok. Update time! Still working on 1918, but getting there (Some largish tweaks to be made, but minor impacts on TL so far). If I was to post it in the writer's forums is it - The one where I don't get replies posted?

Basically, post from the start without replies there, and have a seperate thread for the replies? This would allow readers to catch-up easier yes?

Basically, is it the writer's forum for that, and then which forum for the reply thread?

Hi guys,

I am just updating May 1918 (I have been applying edits all over the place, so don't worry, I don't have 14 years still to do! ;)) and find that I need input please.

Those eagled eyed readers may have noticed that it was Germany only making peace with the Allied powers, and then AH later on as an afterthought. I am correcting this, but not having lots of treaties, rather one big Central Powers/Allies one. Can people please suggest what terms should be asked for by the Central Powers, and pursued by the Allies?

Origional post (May 1918) is here.

abc123

Banned
Hi guys,

I am just updating May 1918 (I have been applying edits all over the place, so don't worry, I don't have 14 years still to do! ;)) and find that I need input please.

Those eagled eyed readers may have noticed that it was Germany only making peace with the Allied powers, and then AH later on as an afterthought. I am correcting this, but not having lots of treaties, rather one big Central Powers/Allies one. Can people please suggest what terms should be asked for by the Central Powers, and pursued by the Allies?

Origional post (May 1918) is here.

I PMailed you my look on how the German answer of Allied proposals should be. That can be seen as real goals of Germany, maybe some backing down, but in general, a line where Germany can't back down except if totally defeated...

The message is: Germany want's peace, but peace with honor for all.

Last edited:
Just to say it's been a pure delight reading though this, even though some of the more technical discussions go way over my head, but I guess that's a sign that at least you know what your talking about !

Just to say it's been a pure delight reading though this, even though some of the more technical discussions go way over my head, but I guess that's a sign that at least you know what your talking about !
lol Thanks! I have that in other topics (About the tech discussions!) too. If you have any questions, observations or problems with the TL, I will be more than happy to answer or address them for you :)

Just drop me a PM with it all in :)

++ Final update ++

Hi all.

This should be my final update in this thread.

No, the story is not over, it is just being re-started!

The story thread is now located here, and the discussion thread is located here. Please DO NOT post replies and comments in the story thread, but please do post them in the discussion thread.

My sig. has also been updated with the new threads, so you can use that if you want instead.

That is all. Thanks and see you in those two threads! :)