George Washington II

Am I the only one who likes long text wall's in timelines.:mad:
I like it too. It makes it seem like an actual page out of history book. If I were to make it look like timeline, March 10th 1810-blah blah, I would make the text short. I may do something a little different next time depending want people want.

The American
“When the American came into New Spain, he found the backwater of the modern world. When he passed through Heaven’s gates, he laid the foundation for Mexico to be the pinnacle of the world.”

Field Marshal José Doroteo Arango Arámbula;

General Wilkinson had taken back control of Acapulco and had chased the rebels further South defeating them again at Oaxaca and capturing Mariano Matamoros, a Catholic Priest and rebel leader. He was executed November 2, 1813. Wilkerson planned to march further West pushing the rebels away from the cities and into Yucatan. Viceroy Calleja was in a tough situation. As Napoleon I began to retain control over Spain, the crown sought to strengthen control over its colonies. He was not popular with Joachim I who saw him as a Bourbon supporter. The fear of losing power in the colonial government due to the return of a more stable Spanish rule caused great alarm to the Creole elites. Calleja could not afford to have them side with the rebels.

The reason for Wilkerson drive the further fighting South was to separate the two groups. He knew firsthand that “the war against the sons of field hands could be won, but not against the sons of merchants and thinkers.” The War for American Dominion was won when the ink was placed upon the Declaration of Independence. The rebels had a few rogue officers and layman priest leading them the likes that could not compare to George I or Thomas Jefferson. However, the spiritual and idealistic driven youths that studied the works of Enlightenment could be easily swanned into revolution. Most even in his own time noted the irony of a man who once fought for freedom over 30 years ago now sought to end people’s hope for it.

In Quebec, Hamilton was forced to abandon his plans to take Quebec City. He instead decided to take York in and gain control of the Great Lakes before continuing further North. Congress was enraged, the mounting casualties even with the successful result were not well received. Some called for his removal from command especially Quebecois lobbyist who believed that Hamilton did not have Quebec’s wellbeing as a priority. Henry Clay, a leading Democratic-Republican, pushed for his replacement forcefully. Believing that, “the safety and dignity of our nation and armed forces relied on a competent commander who has yet to be found in [Quebec].”

President Arnold was at the end of his patience with Clay. He was a powerful ally for the Nationalist, but now his usefulness was coming to an end. However, Clay was not going anywhere. During the Congressional elections of 1812-1813, the Democratic-Republicans took a majority in the House of Representatives and Clay became the Speaker. Nationalist attempts to call Clay unpatriotic for not supporting the war bare no fruit as he was the poster child for the War Eagles and Hamilton’s unpopularity was widely held by the Democratic-Republicans.

In July 1813, Clay announced that he pushed for the “immediate removal of General Hamilton, his assets seized and for him to be brought to a federal court on the charges of treasons.” He claimed to have damning evidence on Hamilton during his time as Secretary of the Treasury that resulted in him stealing funds. Hamilton would never go to trial. Clay engaged a man in a duel three days later and was killed on July 18. His killer was, John Biddle, son of Clement Biddle, a former Colonel, and Federal Marshal. Charges were brought up against Biddle, but they were dropped since Maryland had yet to outlaw the practice and Biddle claimed that Clay instigated the fight. Many of Clay’s friends believed that foul play was used since they believed he was an expert shooter.
398px-Henry_Clay.JPG

Henry Clay April 12, 1777-July 18, 1813​

After Biddle was released, he traveled to Ohio and purchased a large estate. This was good for a man who less than a year ago was living on the streets of Pennsylvania in massive debt. However somehow, he was able to afford a new Ferguson dueling pistol. In 1922, the Society of the Cincinnati came forth, through a Supreme Court ruling, to revealing a string of political assassination beginning with Henry Clay. Biddle was paid to kill Clay, but the question of who ordered the murder has yet to be answered. Fingers have been pointed at Arnold, Hamilton and Charles Pinckney, the current President General of the society. What was certain that demon had been realized upon the political arena of the United States. “Clay was the first of many young politicians to be brought down by the quasi-nobility of America. Many wonder what good he could have done if their hearts weren’t so cold” wrote Chief Justice Reed who presided over the case, SOC v. Wilton, that unveiled the organization’s hidden agenda.

With his position secure once more Hamilton began his York Campaign. Hamilton would turn South to Ottawa while the newly promoted Brigadier General Winfield Scott would capture Kingston and Brigadier General Zebulon Pike laid siege to York. The three would meet in the Spring and take York. Meanwhile, the Règle Libre began to run into trouble. A list of several prominent members names had been linked, and the hunt began. In August only 22 men were tried and hanged for their actions. They responded by riskier and even foolish tactics resulting in more deaths for their own. One such example was when three young men, the Tomas brothers, broke into an English farmhouse stealing the livestock and grain for the cause before attempting to burn it down. They, however, did not check to make sure the owners were there or not. By the time they were done a company of British soldiers had them arrested. They gave up twelve different names of members of Règle Libre.

The Battle of Hull occurred August 7 near Ottawa. Hamilton was repulsed for the going further to the city by General Gordon Drummond. Drummond had muster 2,000 men to fight the Americans. Hamilton believed wrongly that the British had less than half that manpower and pusher further South to try and cross the Ottawa River. He was ambushed at the river crossing near Hull and forced to retreat with little over 100 casualties. Afterwards, Drummond burned the bridges that Hamilton would be able to cross forcing him to construct more as winter came. Winfield was able to capture Kingston on August 5, but Drummond brought his forces near present-day Chuckson and defeated Winfield on August 20.
195120-049-9FC3E918.jpg

Drummon leading men at Chuckson​

Even without Hamilton’s or Winfield’s forces Pike was able to seize York on September 12 but was turned back at the Battle of Oshawa by local militia and their Native allies. The fall of York and Kingston were devastating blows, but Drummond’s victory assured the British that America was running out of steam to continue the war. They ordered reinforcements to be sent to the Americas to relieve pressure on the Quebec Front. Those men could have been used for the war in Iberia, but the conflict had changed quite drastically. After the Battle of Cáceres, General Thomas Graham took command and won a few victories at Plasencia and Trujillo, but meet Napoleon I on the banks of the Tagus.

The British left flank was protected by the river; however, the waters would make a crossing difficult allowing Napoleon I to hide a surprise beside it. Redoubts had been dug by captured Spanish guerillas; it estimated that 1 out of every three died during their hasty construction either by disease or starvation. However, those that survived the battle were released with a promise never to take up arms against the crown.

The French artillery erupted at 0600 August 8 against the British center. British Grenadiers throw smoke grenades into the field. Napoleon had no elevation and the fog of war spread forcing his cannons to shoot blindly. Marshal Ney, who was not present at the battle, said that “It was easier to find a [cannon ball] than it was a rock in the Tagus.” The first volley fire occurred against Napoleon’s left flank as Graham shifted South to avoided be pushed into the river. Napoleon would not bulge, but he did allow his arguably more fortified right flank to begin to fall back. Graham pursued him there, ordering his cavalry to storm the redoubts. The British were successful in beating back Napoleon, but his center and left still were holding. It is then that Napoleon orders a second bombardment made by his artillery on the other side of the Tagus. The British center broke then, and Napoleon called in his Old Guard to attack the British left flank as all other reserved were used on the left. Graham ordered a retreat and ordered his cavalry already drained from taking the fortifications to swing South and halt the French advance. The delayed the French, but many had been killed or were captured.

With nearly 70,000 casualties this would be the bloodiest battle during the Napoleonic Wars and costly French victory. Graham attempted to regroup and press forward at Montánchez but was defeated by Joachim I, though it was reported that Marshal Ney was the one sending out orders and organizing soldiers. By late September, the British were once more pushed back into Portugal, but this time prepared for an invasion. Neither side had the manpower to conduct another attack without risking everything. Their eyes moved to the east as Russia finished their war with Persia in October 1813. Russia had just gained a strong foothold in the Caucasians and still had a well-off army to use. Russia’s naval war with Britain still raged, but many thought that Tsar Alexander I would betray Napoleon and possible make an alliance Austria and attack him while he was away. The Russian ambassador to France Pyotr Aleksandrovich Tolstoy believed that invasion was inevitable and that he should strike now. But Alexander I would do nothing in 1813 thanks to work of Carlo Andrea Pozzo di Borgo, a French envoy to Russia. He was a childhood friend of Napoleon I from Corsica, after a small failing out during the French Revolution they once again became political allies. Many historians credit Borgo for keeping Russia out of the war during the “Critical Period” where either side could obtain the upper hand.

With President Arnold busy in Washington and Hamilton in Quebec, George II turned to Henry III and his wife for answers about Florida. Jackson had been advocating for an assault on the Spanish territory. Not to chase after the Creeks and Red Eagle, but against Spain. “Once the Corsican deals with the British and Russians too, he’ll send two men and horse for every lad and ass we have Spanish holdings,” Jackson had told George II. His opinion on assaulting Florida had changed since the news of Wilkinson’s enlistment in New Spain. Arnold’s demands that he be returned to the United States to stand trial were rejected. Henry III pushed him to invade, seeing that Florida was heavily outnumbered and could not fight off an attack. He believed that “Florida, as much Quebec, was rightfully in America’s domain and should inquire by any means.”

Lucy Washington did not support her brother’s wishes. She knew that Florida was little more than a swamp than bog down George II until he died of malaria. Though she never told him he would fail in taking the Spanish colony, she stated that “to march South would mean marching against Europe.” America needed France more than they needed America. Most of Britain’s attention was focused in Iberia even as the fighting began to wind down. If he were to invade, making an enemy of Napoleon, even if victory were achieved there would be no peace. He chooses not to invade, but the Florida question would need to be answered, and as the British warships headed towards the peninsula it would be answered soon.
250px-Comtesse_Vilain_XIIII_JLDavid.jpg

Lucy and young Mary (Maria) Washington​

The High-King of the Rhine
“Politics and diplomacy mean nothing if the issues at hand can be resolved with men and cannons.”
Napoleon I
To great fleets made their way to the Americas in 1814. The first being British to relieve Drummond in Quebec, the British set sail for Cuba to beginning an invasion from there to Florida. Juan Ruiz de Apodaca, the colonial governor of Cuba, welcomed the British fleet as he had his hands full with rebels. José Antonio Aponte, a mixed free carpenter, had begun a rebellion nearly two years prior. He promised a sovereign state and the end of slavery. Aponte had little success in the first years of fighting, but he was growing stronger. The British fleet, under Vice-Admiral Michael Seymour, was not there to intervene in Cuban affairs through the appears of the British did halt rebel attacks for the moment.
On March 8, 1814, the USS Baltimore attacked the HMS Orion near Guantánamo Bay. After a brief exchange of cannon fire, the Baltimore surrendered. 60 American prisoners of war were taken to shore. Traditionally, sailors would be pushed into serving the Royal Navy, but Seymour had no intentions of allowing the Americans of Cuba that could harm the British war effort. They remained there until the end of the war malnourished and abused. A small riot in 1815 saw ten men executed without trial and at least a dozen had fled into the wilderness to join the rebels, most were killed. Only five were released, and only three returned to America. The other two, George Guth and Joshua Keller, died in transport and remained in Cuba, respectively. The latter of which wrote a book of his time in the prison camp called Guantánamo Diary. Its legitimacy was widely questioned in Britain for its, “vulgar portray of Royal officers and a complete negligence to [Britain’s] treatment of enemy soldiers,” most in the United States and Cuba believed Keller.
Traf-Bat-10-destruction-of-French-ship-Achille-at-end-of-battle-Richard-Brydges-Beechey.jpg

Sinking of the USS Baltimore​
Unfortunately for the crew of the Baltimore and George II, the Secretary of the Navy, Dewitt Clinton did not respond to the British fleet heading toward the Caribbean believing that it was only “a cowardice scheme to rob the Bourbons of their land.” Once the news of Baltimore made it to Washington, nearly a month later, Arnold pressed George Early, Governor of Georgia, to raise up the local militia. They were led by Dominion war veteran and former Georgia Governor, George Matthews, who was even older than the old Dark Eagle. After meeting with George II in Savannah, Matthews agreed to prepare a defense in Georgia while George II would invade Spanish Florida and take St. Augustine and Jackson would head towards Pensacola. George II, even with own experience with militia and Daniel Morgan, was worried about taking militia so far from their home. “After greeting the local flora and women, they would squeal like swine before slaughter leaving their brothers in arms to face down volley after volley.” George II did not view MM as descendants of militiamen, but a mold of America’s finest and his him genius of leadership.
The American forces faired decently against disease and the weather, though reported hectic, did not halt their movement. On April 20, George II laid siege to St. Augustine, and it surrendered on April 25. Florida had been neglected by the Spanish crown long before the revolutions in the other colonies. Pensacola would fall April 30, and he would travel West to meet George II at San Luis de Talimali to discuss an inevitable British and possibly Spanish retaliation.
Napoleon I responded to this act with a letter to President Arnold. Congratulating him on defeating the disloyal Spanish governor, Sebastian Kindelán y O’Regan, and hope that soon stability would return to the proper owners of the territory. He meant Spain or more importantly his brother, Joachim I. Napoleon I would rather have the New World’s backwater in his hands than that of the Americans or British. During their age, many were convinced that Napoleon I would declare war over Florida, but many are sure now that if France could not have Cuba, then the value of Florida would be worthless and not worth a fight.
Arnold did not respond to Napoleon’s message. As far as he was concerned, Florida was occupied territory to give to whoever after a treaty was signed and he did not care whoever got it. In January 1814, Arnold suffered a stroke. His entire left arm was in a sling until June, and part of his lower jaw began to droop. Vice President Madison took up most of the administrative responsibilities, except for things concerning the war. The war’s popularity had picked up due to George II’s invasion of Florida, some believing it was “claiming what was rightfully American land” while his critics blamed him for attacking a neutral power and engaging in “Napoleonic foreign policy.”
war1812.jpg

George II takes St. Augustine​
Though many proud Nationalist Party members refused to admit it, they envied the French, as they called, flag worship. They lived and died by it if commanded to and did joyfully. They were aware what tyrants could develop in that kind of system and did not speak publicly of their wish for a milder mentality of such a fashion, but they did in private. Arnold used it to further support the war, and he paid printers to write articles, some fictional, about the average American surviving in Quebec and Florida under Old Glory. The masses ate it up. However, a good number wrote about Hamilton’s setbacks in the North or the increase in appears of the Royal Navy on the coast. The Society of the Cincinnati had several silenced before other began to comply. Officially the organization has claimed responsibility for the murder of six printers and journalists during the Second Quebecois War, and one was Louis Dival, a journalist from Règle Libre, who wrote a slander piece against Hamilton. Though there is no connection between his murder and Hamilton ordering it.
In 1806, Napoleon I had the Holy Roman Empire dissolved after nearly a 1000-year existence. In its place he had the Confederation of the Rhine created with several western German states. Originally the highest title, besides that of protector which was given to Napoleon I, was that of Prince-Primate held by Karl von Dalberg. However, he died of infection from a knife cut on December 1, 1813. The Diet of the Confederation met in January and discussed a replacement. Through the tactics of Maximilian von Montgelas in the Diet and scheming with French he secured a new position for his lord, King Maximillian I of Bavaria. The title of High-King of the Rhine was created with Maximilian I agreeing to renounce his holdings of Bavaria. Most kings would reject such a proposal. However, the High-King was given command of over 100,000 French troops protecting the Rhine. With France’s blessing, Maximilian I was made High-King and his son, Ludwig was installed as King of Bavaria on February 28, 1814.
220px-Medal_Bavarian_Constitution_1819%2C_obv.jpg

One Rhine Mark with High-King Maximilian I's profile​
When news of this reached Frederick William III of Prussia, he feared the loss of, “righteous Protestants to Papist encroachment.” Fredrick William had dreamed of uniting the Protestant churches to a single unity rivalry that of the Catholic Church. He wanted Prussia to lead the new Christian Kingdom, but it would seem that Napoleon and France would take that honor. In a panic, Fredrick William called for Baron vom Stein, a former Prussian advisor who was forced to resign due to his opposition to Napoleon. Baron vom Stein was made ambassador to Austria. Fredrick William tasked him with brokering an alliance with Francis I, the former Holy Roman Emperor and Austrian Emperor. Baron von Stein had stayed in Austria for almost a decade since his exile and convinced that “From Vienna to Budapest to Belgrade, the Balkans are ready to erupt. To become allies would be the same as carrying a corpse into battle. Before this half of the century is over, the last Habsburg will be hanged.”
Prussia could not come to the aid of a failing power during a possible revolution. Prussia would have to remain on friendly terms with their long-standing rival, and when the time came, that Balkans implodes, they would claim what was rightfully theirs, the German lands. Frederick William was not quite convinced, Napoleon was one sure victory away from domination in Iberia. If the British failed, Napoleon might continue his wars. Prussia had already lost so much in a few years to wait for possibly 50 for Austria to join them could mean the end of his dynasty. He also did not care for the addition of a Catholic people into his domain. Baron vom Stein suggested missionary work be cared out by a new church. Through the Hauptkirche Decree on May 19, 1814, he formed the United German Churches, that forged Lutheranism and Reformist denominations in Prussia. By July, Austria would allow Prussian missionaries to set up a church in Vienna, but things proved more difficult in COR. The struggle of Austro-Prussian Unification had begun.
220px-VomStein_%28Gem%C3%A4lde_Rincklake%29.jpg

Baron vom Stein the Father of Austro-Prussian Unification​
Lord Liverpool’s government was in disarray, and the opposition led by Lord Greenville and the Whigs grow in strength. The last major legislative the Tory Parliament passed in 1814 was the Corn Law which required all farmers to set aside a certain portion of their land for food to be used for the military. The government was able to decide the price that they would pay for the “corn”. However, for a small fee of 10 British pounds, roughly a $1000 today, they could avoid the law. A group of farmers from Cornwall, led by Jory Douglas began a protest. Marching along the British coast all the way to British Parliament to demand the law be repealed. Several more groups from other parts of Britain and even Ireland soon joined.
The Prince Regent George IV, could not ignore the growing unpopularity of Parliament along with his own. His lavish lifestyle cost the taxpayers plenty, especially the rebuilding of Windsor Castle. He convinced his father who was suffering completely from mental illusions and delusions to call for a general election. Between March 2-April 9, 1813 a coalition of Grenvillites and Foxite Whigs took control of Parliament. Lord Grenville and Lord Grey, who led the Foxite Whigs, lost hope in the Iberian War since the death of John Moore in 1809. As Prime Minister, Lord Grenville meet with the Portuguese Ambassador Cipriano Ribeiro Freire with the option of beginning peace talks with the French.
245px-1st_Baron_Grenville.jpg

William Grenville, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom​

Kaze

Banned
Either George's sterility is cured, or Martha has a dirty little secret ;)

The second one would be more fun. I even will guess the real father - Benedict Arnold, ergo why he sees George ii as his protege - he wants his son to succeed even if he fails.

Just a quick question, but wouldn't George II be known by three names (like John Quincy Adams) or as the Younger (like with the Pitts)?

The second one would be more fun. I even will guess the real father - Benedict Arnold, ergo why he sees George ii as his protege - he wants his son to succeed even if he fails.
Though that is possible, Arnold is 20 years his senior, I have something already in mind. There is a reason why George II loath the press.
Just a quick question, but wouldn't George II be known by three names (like John Quincy Adams) or as the Younger (like with the Pitts)?
Like George I he does not have a middle name to go by and I've already mention George III so saying Younger like the Pitts doesn't make as much sense. Since people would rather not see another George I will most likely change that. I wanted to make it like how the British have 6 Georges as kings. However that is infuriating to remember so changes may be made.

on a side note - this would make a good book / movie. will you make it?
Thanks! If written a little story about an event in this TL. I would want a book if I ever got the opportunity. If you would like to see what I have feel free to ask and if anyone has any help I would appreciate it.

The British Offensive
“Dear Theodosia, what to say to you? If you had seen through my eyes, the fields that have burned. The men that lie in them. I will see you soon and your husband as well.”

“Oh Philip when will I return? I feel as if never. This war may never end, but rest assure I will see again one day. Take care of your mother and wife.”

Letters written by Hamilton and Burr in 1814 to their children who wed in 1801

In the Spring of 1814, General Pike headed North once more but was not obstructed by Native attacks. Drummond had Hamilton to the North, Winfield to the East and Pike from the South. Quebec City had received reinforcements, veterans from Iberia, thanks to his victories in 1813, but they were there to defend. Drummond chose to go on the offensive once more. Hamilton and Winfield had fortified their position making the advancing Pike the best target.

Pike made camp on Guilloux’s Farm near Lake Simcoe on March 17, 1814. He had a little over 1,700 soldiers with 500 Quebecois militiamen. However, unknown to the Americans about half were loyal to the British. At 0400 and explosion went off at the commander’s tent. Three men had died, and five more were wounded. The three dead were Major General Dearborn, Lieutenant Benjamin Forsyth, and Private Matthew Indy, who was guarding the tent. Pike had taken a walk, who had trouble sleeping, before rushing back to his tent. A second explosion went off near their supplies deposit and then, “the Horsemen began to unveil themselves with thunderous footsteps.” The Quebecois released the American horses that stamped through the campsite. At 0430, British cavalry charged the campsite. Once they passed through the campsite, they turned around and hit once more. Short little raids through the camp lasted until the Americans were finally able to prop up a defense.

During that time, however, the British Quebecois fled the camp and awaited orders from Drummond. He advanced the Quebecois and ordered them to begin picking off the American officers. As the Americans pushed forward, the Quebecois held their ground until they were less than 30 feet from them. A whistle was blown, and the British advanced to the American’s surprise. After an exchange of volley, the Americans pulled back and began an organized retreat to the East towards Kingston. It was a partial victory for the British, the Americans would have overwhelming numbers at Kingston, and if Hamilton moved South, he could take Ottawa or destroy Drummond.
troianidec23.jpg

Battle of Guilloux’s Farm​
After the Battle of Guilloux’s Farm, “an inquisition or witch hunt began against Quebecois who had been fighting the war long before the first American.” The Quebecois were ousted from American camps, disarmed and messages for aid were ignored. Clément Gosselin, still recovering from his wounds, tried to sway the distrust growing between the two groups to little avail. Though these acts would damage relations with Quebecois for the duration of the war, roughly fifty British conspirators were found and imprisoned. Hamilton issued an order officially segregating Americans and Quebecois that shared camps. Henri Aubury, only 11 at the time but had been serving since he was 9, recalled that “[Quebecois] farmers would grow the food that was given to [Quebecois] cooks and it would be served to every American before one of us. This was a great injustice.”

Hamilton saw the fragile alliance with the Quebecois begin to unwind but was too focused on achieving military against Drummond to resolve it. Instead, it was left to Aaron Burr. Burr was a capable officer, some arguing the best military mind of his generation, but military force would not bring about peace with the Quebecois. He instead turned to religion. Burr’s maternal grandfather was Jonathon Edwards, a Puritan preacher during the First Great Awakening most famous for his Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God sermon. Though Quebecois allied to the Americans were predominantly Catholic, there were few Catholic priest or even laymen to conduct a service. In most camps, during mass, the highest ranked officer would simply read a chapter from the Bible. Burr decided to go to nearly 200 Quebecois on April 3, 1814. He read the book of Daniel and began a dialogue of how the plight of Jews while stranded in Babylon was like that of the Quebecois. “As King Nebuchadnezzar kept the sons of Israel in chains miles away from home so does King George do to the sons of the New World. These chains shall be broken forthwith, and the Heavens will open across this land.”
161301_640x480.jpg

Aaron Burr giving a sermon​
Afterwards, Burr promised to bring Catholic priest from Boston and Maryland to conduct religious services out of his pocket. Dr. Nicole Boulet described this moment as, “a shift of nearly 300 years of tension between the Protestant and Catholic faith in the New World. Some point to the Quebec Act of 1774 as the beginning, but it was little more than an attempt to calm resistance and publish the southern colonies. Burr’s interaction and support of the Quebecois’ faith, regardless of his true views on Catholicism, began the merging of Quebecois and American identities.”

Drummond pursued Pike to the West attempting for force a surrender before he could link up with Winfield. Most of Drummond spies in the American camp were either hanged or kicked out by his chance and he was not informed that Winfield had left with his main force to meet Pike. He was informed that the Americans had almost 3,000 men once the two armies meet. The numbers were against him, but if he were to attack them just as they meet there would be too much confusion for a credible defense to be made. Unfortunately, Drummond, the Americans had over 5,000 men, more than twice his force. They also had Colonel Richard Johnson’s cavalry or Flying Dragons with them. Drummond’s cavalry had been worn out during the Battle of Guilloux’s Farm and was undermanned and lacked the leadership for another battle. At Bowmanville, the Flying Dragons disseminated the British cavalry with the first ten minutes they then swung around attack Drummond’s artillery but were quickly repulsed. Though no cannons were destroyed, roughly a third of their crews were unfit for duty or missing.
640px-Remember_Your_Regiment%2C_U.S._Army_in_Action_Series%2C_2d_Dragoons_charge_in_Mexican_War_1846.jpg

Colonel Richard Johnson’s Flying Dragons​
His militiamen, a quarter of his force, broke on his left flank and fled the battle. With no other choice, Drummond relinquished the field and retreated. He hoped now to take up a defense in Ottawa until Quebec could strike or if the invasion through Florida were successful perhaps the Americans would abandon the North. However, when news of Drummond’s defeat made it to him, he began his siege of Ottawa. Drummond arrived too late, his only hope was to try and break the siege, but he needed time to think of a plan.

George II and Jackson meet at San Luis de Talimali on May 6, 1814, to discuss a plan for the British invasion. Jackson believed that the British would invade near the southernmost tip of Florida and that they should march south to halt them. George II disagreed noting that the Pa-hay-okee meaning Grassy Waters by the Seminoles would cripple any invading force going through it. George II attempt better relations with the Natives to avoid the same issues with the Creeks. He believed that staying place was the best option until the British made their move as they had lost no territory yet there was little to fear.

George II understood Jackson’s devotion to attack and serve his country. Jackson was self-made man and struggled his entire life and had achieved much. As Lawrence Jorge had struggled back during the War for American Dominion. The only way to move up in the war was to fight and win, but George II was not willing to risk his men by meeting the British. He ordered fortification to be built.

To the surprise of many, including the US Navy, the British landed on Safe Harbor, the old port refuge from pirates. Scouts reported that 12,000 British soldiers were headed to retake St. Augustine and then take Savanah. George II had almost 10,000 men with him; his greatest advantage was that the British did not have Ferguson Rifles. Martin Ferguson, son of the Loyalist Patrick Ferguson, had been convinced to begin selling to the Americans after he was captured. At least 3,000 were equipped with the superior weapon.
1827_Sm.jpg

MM soldiers were noted for the gold or silver eagles on their uniforms during the Second Quebecois War​
The British were slow at first, but with aid by the Creeks, they knew where the Americans were heading. The two forces met near the St. John River on May 23, 1814. Unlike the British soldiers he had fought in Quebec, these were veterans of the Iberian War led by Major General Edward Pakenham. George II had hoped to go on the defensive, but Jackson had ordered skirmishers to begin to harass the British, so Pakenham responded with cannon fire. The British were stationed above a hill and could see the field of battle. The Americans had to march through the marshes and soldiers would, “hit a club of dirt against their boats before taking a step and having water up to their calves.”

The American firepower eventually forced the British off the hill, but they were too exhausted to continue the push. Jackson lead a cavalry attack on the British left flank but was repelled. Both the British and Americans left the field the next neither side claimed a victory. The Americans had suffered over 2,000 casualties. Battle of St. Johns River would be nicknamed Battle of Muggy Blood. With the British not too far from the Americans pushing North, George II he needed more men, but he knew Arnold would need convincing. Hamilton was in no situation to be sending truth men to Florida unless Arnold asked. The best person to get George II the reinforcement was his wife.

She took a trip to Washington with her three children. Lucy Washington has been outshined by both her husband and her children. Many characteristics that her daughter, Martha would develop would come from her, including her ability to walk the minefield of politics. She, however, unlike George II, was not as willing to prove to others that she was most talented in the room, she already knew that. “The hassle of bringing two young boys and a teething girl across state lines was never a joyful occasion for me, but rather the grandfatherly figure they were to meet.”

Arnold canceled the meeting he was having when news of the Washington family was coming to the Capital. He doodled over the Washington children just as much as he did his grandchildren, but a trip from Connecticut was much further than Mount Vernon. He told them old war stories and brought them treats. She too added the story of how her husband cared for Arnold after he was wounded. Benedict, Lucy’s middle child, asked, “Mr. President when is father coming home?” Arnold did not know, and they were soon sent off to bed. Lucy continued to argue for George II pleading for their friendship and the good the Washingtons had done for the country. For Arnold Quebec was the key to end the war and George II knew that too. If Quebec was under Old Glory, but he died he would think it well. His wife would not allow that. Arnold agreed to send him men. No one is sure what she said, but journalist would spread rumors about Lucy having an affair with Arnold. She denied such claims.
adams2.jpg

Samuel Milhouse as Benedict Arnold in Prince of America​

Latin America
“All Spaniards who do not conspire against tyranny in favor of our just cause, using the most effective and active resources, will be considered enemies, and will be punished as traitors to the homeland, and therefore, will be promptly executed.”
Simon Bolivar’s Decreto de Guerra a Muerte or Decree of War to the Death, 1813
The Empire of Spain was crippled in the 1810s. Not only with Napoleon I dethroning the Bourbon King, but a wave of rebellion had swept their colonies in the New World. The opportunity for the Creole elites to strike was now before Napoleon could achieve victory in Iberia. In South America, the Viceroyalty of New Granada began to crack. In 1811, New Granada and Venezuela declared independence and formed republics. However, a year later Venezuela fell back under Spanish rule. Venezuelan republicans would flee North and seek refuge in the United Providence of New Granada. The situation in New Granada was only slightly better with Royalist cities refusing to recognize the new nation. Bolivar began a guerrilla campaign eventually winning enough victories for New Granada to send him aid to retake Venezuela. After marching into Trujillo, on June 15 Bolivar gave his Decree of War to the Death in which he promised that any Spaniard not supporting the revolution would be killed.
Bolivar’s mission was to gain the support of the oppressed ethnic groups. Since its conception, the Spanish territory in the New World had been ruled by a racial hierarchy called the Casta. In this day and age, its importance and complexity are hard to understand with a distant relative place of birth meaning more than one would think. In layman’s terms, those born in Iberia, the Peninsulares, were at the top. Below them was the Creoles, Europeans born in the New World. There were mixed groups (mestizos, mulatos, zambos) and the African slaves and Natives.
Caracas, the capital of Venezuela, was taken on July 24. A new republic was declared on August 8. However, the young republic began to face issues. Royalist opponents continued to fight against Bolivar’s forces. They were mostly lead by the racial groups that Bolivar tried to get to join his cause. Slaves were given weapons to kill their Republican Creole masters. Bolivar was to cut off the supply to their recruitment. On October 20, he passed the Freedom for Service Bill, declaring freedom for any slaves willing to aid the military “the cause of liberation from Spanish tyranny.” He would send men in uniform to every plantation across Venezuela and arrest any owner who refused to let them see their slaves. The family would be compensated for how many joined. Few did, but the African slaves were used as double agents against the Royalist and were quite effective.
By late 1813, most of Royalist forces had been pushed back far east and extinguished. Simon Bolivar had been made President when the Republic was founded, and now that the military conflict was almost over, he wished to work on more internal matters. Unlike the United States, Bolivar knew his country would not translate as well into a modern state. Latin Americas was much more diverse and would have fewer ties to the centralized government. Bolivar would have to bring a more forceful hand to the presidency than George I did. On December 2, he passed the State Education Bill making school compulsory for children under 15 and took control of the schooling away from the Catholic Church. The Spanish clergy had sided with the Royalist during the war. However, this was not a punishment, but required action to legitimize control in Venezuela.
82505-004-987E3A7D.jpg

Simon Bolivar​
The British fleet landed on the Falkland Islands on February 13, 1814, after abandoning it in 1776. The Spanish had left three years prior due military strains in Iberia. The British had attempted to seize Rio de la Plata nearly a decade early, but it was a military failure and alliance against the French was soon made by the two nations ending hostiles. Read Admiral Home Popham, who had led the British invasion, had returned at the request of his odd adversary, Santiago de Liniers. Liniers had been fighting the Revolutionary forces since May 1810 when the Primera Junta overthrew the viceroy. The new government, located in Buenos Aries, asked other cities to join them. Liniers attempted to gather royalist in Cordoba, but they were defeat, so he fled North.
By 1814, the Revolutionaries were besieging Montevideo for almost two years. In March, British and Spanish forces defeated the United Providences Navy at the Battle of Martin Garcia, the city was saved from the blockade, and British soldiers and supplies were sent into Montevideo. The British had finally achieved a stronghold in Rio de la Plata and as Popham said: “were bloody sure not giving it up anytime soon.”
5-battle-of-long-island-1776-granger.jpg

The British arrive at Montevideo​
Wilkinson had captured the city of Merida on April 8, 1814, after nearly a month of fighting costing him over 300 men. As he made his way back to Mexico City, he was attacked by Jose Maria Morelos in Tabasco. His men were worn down from the fighting in Yucatan and Wilkinson was ill with food poisoning as “the American [Wilkinson] had a weak stomach for Mexican food.” Colonel Agustín de Iturbide came with reinforcements from Villahermosa and was able to force the rebels off the battlefield.
They decided to wait in Villahermosa until the area was clear of rebels due to this they received the news from Europe before the capital. Ferdinand VII had died in captivity a month prior on April 6, 1814. Iturbide had the messenger arrest and city on a curfew. He held an officers' meeting to decide what to do next. Wilkinson did believe that Ferdinand VII was and that it was a trick by rebels to get them to abandon the city. “If it's enough to convince us, it's enough to convince the bastards in charge,” Iturbide told them. Wilkinson was sure that if the news were true, the British would stop the war in Iberia, but not the fighting. They had to cut ties with Napoleonic Spain.
upload_2017-12-10_0-45-30.png

Agustín de Iturbide relieves Wilkinson​
A ceasefire with the rebels was called another meeting held in Comalcalco. The Conference of Comalcalco became one of the most important events in Mexican history. The rebels under Morales and the military forces under Iturbide, Wilkinson remained in Villahermosa, meet and brokered a deal. The rebels would march onto Mexico City and begin a siege, the forces under Iturbide would seize the capital from within and oust Viceroy del Rey. The question of what would happen after was not decided. Morales would push for a republic, but they had yet the power to demand such a thing. He would hope that Wilkinson would agree, being from the United States but Iturbide knew that “the American’s allegiance had a price that was never too steep.
The Mexican forces under Wilkinson and Iturbide arrived in Mexico City on April 14. The next day the rebels attacked. The royal forces under Viceroy del Rey defended fended them off. According to the deal with Morales, Iturbide was supposed to convince the royalist leader to stand down or remove them before the rebels were beaten back. This did not happen, and the rebels were pushed back. Morales did not have the men to pull off a siege nor even another battle.
When the moment was right, Iturbide’s men raised a tricolor flag over Church of Santo Domingo. Within minutes royalist officers were arrested and placed under house arrest, the armory was seized and the viceroy’s residence under siege. Wilkinson not willing to give del Rey a chance to escape told his men to “go forward and fire or stand and die.” His casualties were higher than expected, but the mansion was captured. Del Rey attempted to run, but once he was cornered, it was reported that he shot himself. There were rumors that del Rey had been taken alive, but execute on order Wilkinson. This is disputed.
Iturbide released several officers including Juan O'Donojú and informed them of Ferdinand’s death. They concluded to join forces and three promises for Mexico. One was to oust the Spanish army; the second was to establish an independent state and lastly forging allies, both economically and militarily, with nearby powers. Wilkinson swallowed his pride and suggest they call the Americans for assistance. O'Donojú thought otherwise believing that “if Napoleon’s domain be in Europe, Britain will make an island of it.” For now, the military junta would not be recognized by a state until they could establish a stable government. Wilkinson was dispatched Veracruz to put down a royalist uprising while O'Donojú searched for the remaining rebel forces leaving Iturbide in the center of a power vacuum.
upload_2017-12-10_0-48-28.png

Flag of the Iturbides' Revolution​

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-10_0-48-2.png
    upload_2017-12-10_0-48-2.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 264
So I'm almost done with finals and will be on break for a bit. Hopefully I'll be able to have more time to research and write. If there is anything y'all would like to let me know, feedback is always appreciated. The Second Quebecois War will be ending soon and we will see how strong the Franco-American Alliance truly is. Long live the Grand Republic!