George III of Great Britain... and France?

Ok, so I know this is out there, but the idea is oddly echoed after WWII with the French idea that it join the British Commonwealth.

Lets assume that George III didn't give up the claim for the French throne that all English monarchs have had since Henry V.

This would mean at the end of Napoleonic Wars that there would have been two claims for the crown of France, the Comte de Provence (who IOTL became Louise XVIII) and George.

Now the French had held the British constitutional monarchy up as an example of good practice before the Revolution (Voltaire etc.) might they be tempted to offer the crown to George?

What if Talleyrand had supported George rather than Louise? Undoubtable Talleyrand would be angling to become the first Prime Minister of France and would expect George III to remain a fairly distant monarch.

How would the Great Powers react to Britain and France joining in a shared crown?

Wouldnt that upset the balance of powers in Europe?

I mean when Charles II of Spain died childless 100 years ago Europe almost freaked out with the mere possibility that the French and Spanish Crowns could be united when Philip was elected as King of Spain.

If the Crown was offered to George III is it possible that Europe could go into another "succession war" between the British and the other Europeans who would object to this personal union?

Wouldnt that upset the balance of powers in Europe?

I mean when Charles II of Spain died childless 100 years ago Europe almost freaked out with the mere possibility that the French and Spanish Crowns could be united when Philip was elected as King of Spain.

If the Crown was offered to George III is it possible that Europe could go into another "succession war" between the British and the other Europeans who would object to this personal union?

Well that or we would now be drawing the power for this internet from the Metternich perpetual steam machine which was created when the proposals were put before him.

But yes combining British financial resources and industry with France's population reserves would fill every statesmen in Europe with horror...expect lots of cartoons of an horrendous hippogriff (the eagle of France, the British lion and the horse of Hanover combined) ganwing on the delicates of Europa.

The idea would most likely be shot down in flames even before the fact that being based on the most tenuous unions of crowns it probably would not do much to slow down Anglo-French rivalry occurred to anyone.

Not will happen. Other European powers don't accept that and hardly French too are very happy about that. If Brits even try, there will be new war practically between United Kingdom against Prussia, France, Austria, Russia and some other powers.

Well that or we would now be drawing the power for this internet from the Metternich perpetual steam machine which was created when the proposals were put before him.

But yes combining British financial resources and industry with France's population reserves would fill every statesmen in Europe with horror...expect lots of cartoons of an horrendous hippogriff (the eagle of France, the British lion and the horse of Hanover combined) ganwing on the delicates of Europa.

The idea would most likely be shot down in flames even before the fact that being based on the most tenuous unions of crowns it probably would not do much to slow down Anglo-French rivalry occurred to anyone.

Ooooh, now I want to see the cartoons!

Whilst I am in full agreement with you about the likelihood of this happening ... the only thing I would disagree with the rivalry being an issue, Scotland and England were by no means even friendly when James VI/I came to the throne (and the Scot's were still mounting horse raids into England even after the coronation.

Ooooh, now I want to see the cartoons!

Whilst I am in full agreement with you about the likelihood of this happening ... the only thing I would disagree with the rivalry being an issue, Scotland and England were by no means even friendly when James VI/I came to the throne (and the Scot's were still mounting horse raids into England even after the coronation.

Yes and look what happened, the English invaded and occupied Scotland under the Commonwealth until the Restoration. The tension did not begin to be really settled until the Union of Parliaments. Even then there were speed bumps (Jacobites) in the road :p

Still I suppose the cartoons would have made it worth it :D

Ok, so I know this is out there, but the idea is oddly echoed after WWII with the French idea that it join the British Commonwealth.

Lets assume that George III didn't give up the claim for the French throne that all English monarchs have had since Henry V.

This would mean at the end of Napoleonic Wars that there would have been two claims for the crown of France, the Comte de Provence (who IOTL became Louise XVIII) and George.

Now the French had held the British constitutional monarchy up as an example of good practice before the Revolution (Voltaire etc.) might they be tempted to offer the crown to George?

What if Talleyrand had supported George rather than Louise? Undoubtable Talleyrand would be angling to become the first Prime Minister of France and would expect George III to remain a fairly distant monarch.

How would the Great Powers react to Britain and France joining in a shared crown?

This is a serious as the french supporting Wilhelm I as king of France in 1871 or the English supportons Louis XIV as king in 1688 or 1700 !

England and France were arch enemies since the end of the 17th century.

Just no way.

Unless the french upset their monarchy and said for the fun they'd give the throne to the king of England if they ever were to have a king again.