Gas Chamber in the United Kingdom

I read the book Hanging in the Balance by Brian Block and John Hostettler a while ago and in the book while discussing the Homicide Act of 1957, Lord Amulree proposed an amendment replacing hanging with lethal gas, with the response being by the Lord Chancellor that due to uncertainty of lethal gas regarding speed and painlessness (while citing the royal commission on capital punishment report), among other concerns cited that Lord Amulree withdrawn his amendment. Here is a link to it being discussed.

It got me thinking on whether lethal gas can ever be adopted in the UK, unlikely as it may be. Possibly it is adopted in the late 1920s/early 1930s before WW2 by a government with an interest in eugenics and attempts to use it for euthanasia at first, with later expansion for criminals.

Thoughts?
http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/lords/1957/mar/07/homicide-bull

Hope it's not considered too bad a necro - I admit I found this through a search for something else

What about if the idea comes the other way, from the US? Let's say capital punishment is semi-abolished earlier than it is, but retained for some offences (terrorism ones?), and the theoretical method is changed to gas chamber after US use?