Game: Explain wacky Hearts of Iron screenshots!

Grey Wolf

Donor
The first one is actually semi-plausible.
Not terribly likely, as the OTL Polish government
1) was following Jozef Pilsudski political testament, i.e., no direct alliances with either Germany or Soviets (and these guys were some SERIOUS trusted lieutenants and followers of Pilsudski)
2) not likely to be ousted in any kind of military coup. Why, they were military. It wasn't called of governments of colonels without a reason.

However, if Germany forgets about Danzig/Corridors and USSR suddenly becomes aggresive... maybe it could happen.
Certainly it's not on level of usual HoI3 craziness.

BTW, the guy mentioned in the picture "Jan hr. Szembek" - is a foreign minister with fascist ideology of Poland in HoI, thought you can appoint him even as "Paternal Autocrat" IIRC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Szembek_(diplomat)

I suspect the Polish version of the page is a bit more informative

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Heck, I might as well postulate my own as well as the polish scenario pic.

The polish one is easier. Hitler in that reality tooled the NSDAP's ideology to be more anti-communist and anti-french than anti-slavic (His anti-semitism here is about the same). While still going with the idea of lebensraum (a westward one like the Franks once did), he decides to simply leave off the Danzig Corridor and Poznan off the realm of Germany. He does this seeing as the latter is a decent deal more Pole than German, while in this reality, far more Germans from the corridor moved to either East Prussia or Brandenburg during the 20's.

As a result, Hitler is fairly ambivalent towards polish subjection and would prefer a buffer against the Soviets. Timeline marches about the same to 1938, where he absorbs Austria and the Sudetenland diplomatically. This gives Stalin the idea of annexing the Baltic States (With a Lithuanian exception thanks to German posturing against such a thing). This antagonizes Poland against the soviets, and as a result they go to the German camp.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

My pic theory:

Chiang manages to begin wrangling the army under his control by first redistributing the modern weapons from German and Soviet camps to better equip his current army rather than commissioning more units. He also restarts the Commissars again after his purge of the communist faction in them(long march), to drive morale.

He lets up on the communists somewhat more after evicting them to the mountains of Shanxi province. He only does it only because the Japanese were retooling the Kwangtung army, and he doesn't want to deal with the warlord states and Japan at the same time. He managed to seize control of Guangdong province and the southern factories and trade bolster his country's control.

Japan as a result tries to limit China's control over itself, and uses a minor incident at Marco Polo Bridge to instigate a war to eat a chunk of China. However they neglected to fully mobilize the army at first, thinking that the Warlord of Shaanxi, Yan Xishan would refuse to rely on the government forces and only use his own, allowing easy victory. However they were shocked when not only did the Clique's army was better equipped then they thought, but when Peking fell, he relinquished control to Chiang.

It was thanks to an agreement between the two. Chiang would regain control, in exchange by making Yan the armaments minister, and equipping his personal units first with the new weapons. The Chinese forces were also bolstered with Yunnan and Ma forces, and made sure that the factories were moved inland in preparation They made sure to use the mountains that Taiyuan was in and the Yellow river as a defense line.

Usually this would be no issue for Japan. But dissonance between the Army, who suffered defeats that they didn't expect, and the Navy, who remained victorious on the sea against any pathetic attempt by the Chinese. Their bickering made sure to make it a land war, a war China was set to win.

This was particularly bad seeing that the Taiyuan Arsenal that Japan never was able to take gave the Chinese full ability to manufacture artillery and guns. This allowed them to build the European weapons, and as a result of their manpower now supplied with firearms, they seized and cut off the Kwangtung forces at Yantai and Erenhot. The dissolution of them effectively crippled the Japanese army. They couldn't stop the Chinese advance into Manchukuo.

The final death knell for the Kwangtung army was Puyi's abdication and dissolution of Manchukuo. While fighting bitterly to the end, the chinese forces wiped away any pockets left, and the road to Korea was opened. By seizing it, Hirohito forced his government to accept peace with Chiang. The terms include North China is given to China, Korea is made independent, and Formosa is given back to China. China will accept Japanese dominion over the Ryukyu Islands and Sakhalin. China's victory would lead to a lot of differences in WWII.

Teleology

Banned
I can't figure exactly what kind of reaction, but such a sound beating by the Chinese rather than say by the huge US and two a-bombs, would cause a huge political reaction in Japan.

This probably isn't the best screenshot to try to revive this thread with. Who besides Hendryk or Faeelin knows the ins and outs of warlord cliques of the Chinese Civil War. But oh well, someone please explain this:

hoi33.jpg

Let me give it a shot.

In this timeline, Chiang decides to make sure that the Communists stay down, even after being kidnapped by Zhang Xueliang, who instigates the Xi'an incident in May rather than December. He publicly denounced the treaty he was forced to sign as a false demand by dissidents as soon as he leaves custody of Zhang's army, and executes Zhang for his actions. The fact that Chiang ignores the growing public outcry against his ignorance of the greater threat gives more support of the Communist regime.

The communists, while having a stronger support base didn't have the forces and equipment to topple Chiang, would gain an ally in the New Guangxi Clique, and the remnants of the Young Marshall's army. Despite the Clique's hatred towards the Communists, they realized that it would have to take a back seat to the Japanese. So a meeting between Li Zongren, Huang Shaohong, Bai Chongxi, Chen Jitang, Zhou Enlai, and Zhang's former staff members met in Guilin. They came up with a quick and efficient method to oust Chiang.

It called for the former Young Marshall's forces to be stationed in several garrisons along the northern cities (Notably Jinan, Xi'an, and Suzhou), along with Guangxi forces to bolster them in the more southern cities (Fuzhou, Ningbo, Nanning, and others). Communist guerrillas would go after the Ma Clique, and seize the Sinchuan plains to cut Chiang's ability to use it to rally. By November, they were ready to act.

The clique would commiserate the act with their declaration that they would not accept Chiang's rule, and proclaimed the Nanjing government as illegitimate. The Communist rallied their forces to seize Ma holdings as a task force of theirs go into the Sinchuan plains. The Fengtian forces along with Guangxi forces in the cities overwhelmed the government forces there with civilian support.

The finishing blow for Chiang's forces came when the Yunnan warlords under Long Yun and Yan Xishan's forces ignored his commands. Chiang was forced to retreat into the countryside, where villagers in support of the communist regime captured and executed him. In less than a week, the Kuomintang was dead, by warlord hands.

While the borders aren't completely stabilized (Drunken communist and Fengtian forces occasionally came to blows in the north), and the civilians in the new Guangxi government were unsure of the results of living under the warlords, the Chinese were now (for the most part), ready to counter the Japanese.

Too bad I didn't make a screen capture. In my first Arsenal of Democracy game, my East German puppet made an amphibious assault with modern tanks into Singapore. Jaw-dropping moment.

Well, seeing as this thread has an unfortunate habit for dying, I dredged up a few old pictures from a campaign as Yugoslavia. A particularly awesome set of images from a strange Spanish Civil War.

ScreenSave0-7.jpg

This is a couple of months after the war started as it did IOTL. If you can notice, there is a free Basque state that's allied with the Republicans. Also note the Nationalist Pocket.

ScreenSave2-9.jpg

The lines stabilize here for a while after about half a year. Northwest Nationalists vs. Southeast Republicans. Also note Oviedo is intact somehow.

ScreenSave3-7.jpg

By this point in 1937, the Nationalists lose steam as Republicans make headway in an offensive.

ScreenSave5-7.jpg

The Nationalists lose Madrid in late 1937, and are pretty much toast by now.

ScreenSave11-3.jpg

In early 1938 the Nationalists lose all but their grip on Cantabric Spain.

ScreenSave0-8.jpg

About 5 months later the Nationalists surrender when La Coruna is seized only weeks after the fall of Burgos. Note that the Basque state gained land.

So what happened. Bonus points if the Basques are a major player in you explanation.

I feel that a bump should feel needed before it is lost to time.

As for my thoughts on how the Spanish Civil war changes, well... I'm not as sure as my other ones. Spain in this timeframe is a weakpoint for me.

The most I can say is that in this reality, the Basques were more pro-democratic than pro-catholic or carlist. Instead of responding to the Nationalists by joining them they deliberate. The Republicans and anarchists offers them near independence in exchange for aid. They declare the Republic of Euskadi only a month or so later from the initial outbreak of the war.

The Republicans crush the Spanish in the south quickly, and as a result of Germany or Italy no sending troops and supplies, plus a crippled Nationalist army from the loss of so many men, the Republics swept the center while the Basques finish off the Nationalists up north with aid. When the Republic follows a Trotskyist school of communism (they were Leninist really), the Basques claimed independence in full while the Spaniards were still stabilizing.

Giap, Kim, Chiang Kai Shek.jpg

Here's one.

The light brown is Nationalist China, advancing through the USSR's Pacific coast. And, in case the text is too small, the leaders in that little army (drawn from Laos, Cambodia, Democratic People's Republic of Korea (not communist!), Vietman and various parts of China) includes both General Gyap, hero of the Vietnam war, and Our Dear Leader, the Eternal President, Field Marshal Kim Il Sung (from a non communist dictatorship.) Nearby (although not in shot) is Chiang Kai Shek, leading his own elite troops. All are pitted against the Communists! (Earlier highlights include Chiang Kai Shek taking on Mao Zedong in his final mountain hideout in a true clash of the titans.)

In game terms, it happend because one of my warlord allies (Yunnan, I believe) went insane the moment the USSR attacked Germany and hurled practically all of Asia against the communists. How could this have ever happened in real life, with Asia's greatest dictator-heroes teaming up to take down the reds once and for all (many of them RL communists)? For bonus points, how did Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam become puppets of Nationalist China in real life?

EDIT: Chiang Kai Shek is commanding no less than 12 artillery toting infantry divisions in Tynda, along with the considerable Chinese air force. (Several outdated Interceptor and Tactical Bomber squadrons.)

Giap, Kim, Chiang Kai Shek.jpg

View attachment 112635

Here's one.

The light brown is Nationalist China, advancing through the USSR's Pacific coast. And, in case the text is too small, the leaders in that little army (drawn from Laos, Cambodia, Democratic People's Republic of Korea (not communist!), Vietman and various parts of China) includes both General Gyap, hero of the Vietnam war, and Our Dear Leader, the Eternal President, Field Marshal Kim Il Sung (from a non communist dictatorship.) Nearby (although not in shot) is Chiang Kai Shek, leading his own elite troops. All are pitted against the Communists! (Earlier highlights include Chiang Kai Shek taking on Mao Zedong in his final mountain hideout in a true clash of the titans.)

In game terms, it happend because one of my warlord allies (Yunnan, I believe) went insane the moment the USSR attacked Germany and hurled practically all of Asia against the communists. How could this have ever happened in real life, with Asia's greatest dictator-heroes teaming up to take down the reds once and for all (many of them RL communists)? For bonus points, how did Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam become puppets of Nationalist China in real life?

EDIT: Chiang Kai Shek is commanding no less than 12 artillery toting infantry divisions in Tynda, along with the considerable Chinese air force. (Several outdated Interceptor and Tactical Bomber squadrons.)

I don't know, but I'm betting that lots of opium and rice wine were involved.:D

I'm going to guess that Long Yun exterminated communist sympathizers in his territory, and decided to have some of his personal troops attack Mongolia to bring it back to china (as a near independent subordinate to him). Stalin doesn't like this, and decides to declare war on all of China, killing Chiang's son who was captive under the soviets since the 20s'.

Somehow Stalin's declaration of war unifies East Asia, who see it as another attempt by outside to control them, and cast their lot with china, politics or not.

Here's one of my favorites:

This screenshot I find totally amazing. It is from my last game as France. Having stopped the Germans with a super Maginot line and annexed Italy, the front was stabilized. Then the allies sent me huge numbers of expeditionary forces, British, US and Brazilian summed up more than 200 divisions. I landed them all in the north of Germany, creating a huge pocket were the Germans are doomed. As the Reich collapses Spanish troops join the allies in the south, whereas Bulgarian, Hungarian, Greek, Slovakian and Romanian troops rush from the east in a futile attempt to help the Germans. Meanwhile the Soviets watch the events in amazement I guess.

4815126114_8b594a5981_b.jpg

So, explain that!

The Maginot Line is extended up to the Belgian border. A few years of savage warfare in the trenches result. Another series Lusitania like incident makes America more incline to war. Then on 1941 , Hitler foolishly declares War on the United States , when Pearl Harbour occurs , in exchange for Japan invading the Far Eastern colonies of Britain and France. In late 1944 , massive numbers of landings are executed althroughout Northern Germany , taking the Germans by surprise . Allied forces quickly overrun much of Germany , before any significant force can be sent from the Soviet Border , or the Maginot Line.

Alternate WWII , which ends in Allied Victory , but why the Soviets do not attack in 43 or 44 is beyond my ability to explain. Perhaps the early Death of Stalin , and a second officer's purge might explain that.

Italy have clearly been dragged into the Spanish-American War somehow- note the Spanish army unit in Charlotteville and the Spanish warship off Charleston, plus the date. You'd need to have some Italian colonies somewhere in the Western Hemisphere, surely- or the war could have set off anti-Catholic rioting in some US cities?

With Italian involvement, the war goes *much* better for Spain...

Italy have clearly been dragged into the Spanish-American War somehow- note the Spanish army unit in Charlotteville and the Spanish warship off Charleston, plus the date. You'd need to have some Italian colonies somewhere in the Western Hemisphere, surely- or the war could have set off anti-Catholic rioting in some US cities?

With Italian involvement, the war goes *much* better for Spain...

Ding ding! That is what happened. The Central Powers sided with Spain and Italy was nuts enough to use Cuba to springboard an invasion with its entire army because the AI's smrt.