Galicia-Volhynia remains strong and independent in the 14th Century

I remember, the Galicia-Volhynia annexed Lublin, what if the Ukrainians remained independent in the 14th Century, I think a Strong Galicia-Volhynia will end in a screwed up Poland in long term, which would prevent the formation of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and the only base for a Polish reunification will be Lower Silesia and Greater Poland, I think the Galicians and Czechs will end up defeating Wladyslaw the Elbowhigh and another Piast Duke will liberate/unite Poland from Bohemian/German yoke after a hundred of years with the base being Lower Silesia and Greater Poland and this Poland will be more German oriented.

Last edited:
Isn't talking about a "Ukrainian" state in the 14th century somewhat anachronistic? The Galician-Vohynian Principality/Kingdom included parts of what are now Ukraine and Belarus (as well as Polish borderlands) but did not include Kiev. And anyway, it was a vassal to the Golden Horde after 1246, so I don't see how you can talk about it "remaining" independent in the fourteenth century. In any event, its inhabitants would presumably describe their nationality as Rus' (*not* the same thing as modern "Russian") rather than "Ukrainian" which at that time was simply a geographical expression.

Isn't talking about a "Ukrainian" state in the 14th century somewhat anachronistic? The Galician-Vohynian Principality/Kingdom included parts of what are now Ukraine and Belarus (as well as Polish borderlands) but did not include Kiev. And anyway, it was a vassal to the Golden Horde after 1246, so I don't see how you can talk about it "remaining" independent in the fourteenth century. In any event, its inhabitants would presumably describe their nationality as Rus' (*not* the same thing as modern "Russian") rather than "Ukrainian" which at that time was simply a geographical expression.

Ukraine claims to be the successor of Galicia-Volhynia, that is why I said it as Ukraine, the Ukrainians also consider themselves as (the successor of) Rus and Ruthenians.

Last edited:
Ukraine claims to be the successor of Galicia-Volhynia, that is why I said it as Ukraine, the Ukrainians also consider themselves as (the successor of) Rus and Ruthenians.

Modern nations often consider themselves successors of many silly things, doesn't make it accurate to call them that. There was no such thing as Ukraine - just slowly mongolizing nomads in the Steppe part of modern day Ukraine, and a few "Russian" principalities.

Modern nations often consider themselves successors of many silly things, doesn't make it accurate to call them that. There was no such thing as Ukraine - just slowly mongolizing nomads in the Steppe part of modern day Ukraine, and a few "Russian" principalities.

I changed "Ukraine" to Galicia-Volhynia/Galicia

No reason why it should since it was nomadic, sparsely populated, and without natural borders except the Carpathian mountains.