There's no reason the river can't be utilized.
It has always been used, it is the largest river artery connecting the center/southeast of Brazil with the northeast. There have never been any major changes because it works well enough. The difference is that the region is not worth as much as the Plata basin. There are several reasons for its lesser relevance. The exploration of mineral resources, especially gold and diamonds, which boosted the economy of the São Francisco region, lost relevance over time. The accentuation of the south and southeast, economically speaking also hurt the river's importance. It was one/of the largest economic arteries, today it is a very important river but nothing crazy like the Parana River/Plata basin. Its basin currently accounts for around 3.5% of Brazil's GDP. For comparison, the Amazon Basin currently accounts for approximately 8% of the national GDP. The Paraná Basin, including the Plata Basin, is responsible for around 35% of Brazilian GDP. The priority will always be to secure the plateau basin for its vast economic potential. The GDP of the La Plata basin reaches more than 70% of what is produced in five countries (which make up, Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay, and Uruguay). It may help to better assess the region's economic size if we take into account that in territorial terms, it represents only 24% of the countries' total areas.
Pedro I had to deal with the Cisplatine War, and political insurrection.
A Dom Pedro who was more honorable, didn't humiliate his wife, focused better on his troops, and didn't make the agreement that broke Brazil. He could probably invest in this river, but more likely he wants to take control of the Plata basin.

Just asking around, but is there any mention of how competent Frankie's kids are. I know from the snippets here and there that they are quite intelligent and well educated, but do they compared well with Napolean and Frankie's level of talent?

Asking all these as I was thinking that in this TL, with first Napolean and then his son Frankie being masters in their fields (also will Frankie be considered as one of, if not the statesman of the era?), would not any nobility or royalty be thinking that Napolean's bloodline is extremely blessed? So much so that they might ignore them being bastards and throw to them their sons and daughters, hoping (and with a good education) that they might get a Napolean or Frankie 2.0?

Last edited:
Just asking around, but is there any mention of how competent Frankie's kids are. I know from the snippets here and there that they are quite intelligent and well educated, but do they compared well with Napolean and Frankie's level of talent?
Given that the boys have barely hit double digits, it might be too early to say. They could easily take after other members of the family (history nerd Louis, writer Lucien, penny-wise Madame Mère) as well. And let's not forget the girls mother is Fanny Essler, who herself was a competent saleswoman/marketer in her own right (traits Karoline seems to have inherited, being able to persuade/argue for her father having his hospitals adopt Semmelweis' handwashing procedure). Therese seems to be a "scamp" and the naughty second-born/baby. The night of Frankie's resignation party (Chapter Thank You For Your Service), when he hears his younger daughter is off with the Palatine of Hungary's brother, he remarks about how that sounds like a recipe for trouble (i.e. the two are getting up to mischief together*). Alternately this could be Jérôme 's headache causing impulsiveness or Caroline Murat' s intrigante nature showing through.

*we know Franz Joseph's dad used to get up to mischief with little Frankie in similar fashion
Asking all these as I was thinking that in this TL, with first Napolean and then his son Frankie being masters in their fields (also will Frankie be considered as one of, if not the statesman of the era?), would not any nobility or royalty be thinking that Napolean's bloodline is extremely blessed? So much so that they might ignore them being bastards and throw to them their sons and daughters, hoping (and with a good education) that they might get a Napolean or Frankie 2.0?
TBH, given Frankie's whole knee-jerk refusal to emulate his father, I don't see a similar level of "marrying in" as his dad did. This is not to say that it won't or can't happen, but Frankie will not be making the first move. He is very conscious of the fact that he has managed to climb as high as he has by reassuring people he isn't his dad. The idea of pushing one of his kids for a consort to the king of x or the grand duke of y would upset that image he has carefully been building. Is he ambitious, of course (even his lackluster Uncle Joseph was ambitious), but he's not reckless. He has let Karoline make her social début in Frankfurt and Vienna, declaring the "cattle auction*" open. If that prince or this duke comes calling, Frankie won't necessarily refuse, but it's a far cry from Napoléon forcing his relatives on people. Even if he personally legitimates his daughters, the match is still likely to be morganatic given the fact that he falls under the "non-reigning sovereign" or a "mediatized house" clauses of most house laws. Which means it's up to the head of house (the king of Denmark in Augustenborg's case) as to whether the match is equal or not.

*as one author decried débutante balls, "as though the sole purpose of those attending them was to buy and sell their daughters, like cows at a fair".

For Love or Money
Soundtrack: Otto Nicolai - Die lustigen Weiber von Windsor - Overture

*Binche, Hainaut* *we see the Gilles in carnival dress making their way through the streets, throwing oranges at the onlookers* *among the onlookers on a balcony overlooking the thoroughfare is the young King of the Belgians, Léopold II* *a cheer goes up as the king holds up an orange indicating that he was struck with one [1]* *he grins as he throws the orange back to the Gilles*

*cut to Venice* *inside the Doge's Palace, a bal masqué is taking place* *we see that Frankie is dressed as Admiral Vettor Pisani [2], or at least a Romantic era imagining of him would look* *and he is opening the floor with Louise de Mérode, Duchess of Leuchtenberg [3]*
Louise: it is a pity that the duchess of Pettau [4] will not return to the city.
Frankie: *soberly* there is not money or conquest enough that would make me order her here, Madame. Not after what she experienced being torn from her home as she was
Louise: the work of brutes, sire... one would almost think that she was the princesse de Lamballe and they wished to parade her head down the streets.
Frankie: *nods*
Louise: on a lighter note, I am told that Max owes his appointment as governor of Venice to you.
Frankie: hardly. I simply suggested a few names, and now, with his brother-in-law uniting Modena and Milan, it makes sense to Vienna to appoint him.
Louise: he doesn't know the city much-
Frankie: as opposed to some Hungarian or Bohemian courtier Metternich would send? *laughs* I had that when Count Erdödy [5] arrived after my...unplanned departure...he wrote back to Vienna saying "streets flooded, please advise".
*the pair laugh*
Louise: you don't think Metternich finds him objectionable
Frankie: I know Metternich does. I'm sure he had some bastard third cousin of a toady of his lined up for the post. But I also know he can't help himself when it comes to my family.
Louise: oh?
Frankie: Metternich is caught up in a little twisted game where he needs to be the voyeur to everything my family does. I apologize in advance for the inconvenience, Madame-
Louise: the inconvenience of my husband and father of my children being nailed to the floor for longer than six months? *laughs*
Frankie: I always said he should've joined the navy. He spends so much time on a ship and away from home, it would've been oddly suitable.
Louise: Bavaria doesn't have a navy.
Frankie: touché. -however, the best remedy for Metternich's curiosity about my family is to allow him to satisfy it. What better way for this to happen than for them to remain in the public eye? He grumbles about us, despises us even, but if I had died at any point...what would he have done with all that time he devotes to pointlessly wondering "what did I do that for?" By these appointments- Walewski at the foreign office, Cousin Jérôme in Trieste, Max here- Metternich can take credit for us being loyal to the regime by simple dint of the fact that we are not plotting or intriguing to overthrow the government. It takes so little to make an old man happy *smiles*
Louise: *looks at Marmont talking to a serious looking Max de Beauharnais* it seems you've made two happy.
Frankie: I promised him that I would find a replacement and I promised you I would let your husband stay home. Who would've thought a Bonaparte could be a man of his word?
Louise: *laughs as waltz ends and they leave the floor*
Frankie: but I do have an interest in the news from Brussels. Stephan mentions that the late king's estate has hit a hiccup.
Louise: several, sire. There's the...very awkward situation about his marriage and his heirs. Not to mention his property.
Frankie: well, I doubt that Princess Charlotte is going to rise from her grave to contest the inheritance.
Louise: as your Majesty is no doubt aware, there is the matter of the properties that Princess Charlotte's mother acquired in Italy. The villa on Lake Como, for instance-
Frankie: little ways down the street- figuratively- from Marianne and Gustaf's place- isn't it?
Louise: of course.
Frankie: why is it a problem?
Louise: it was left to Princess Charlotte by her mother. A sort of wedding present. When Princess Charlotte died, and her mother shortly after, there was no one to contest Léopold inheriting it. That's to say nothing of the estates that he managed to acquire in Switzerland and Austria.
Frankie: and now there is?
Louise: Comtesse Montgomery is staking her claim.
Frankie: you say that as though I should recognize the name
Louise: née Karoline Bauer.
Frankie: the actress?
Louise: one and the same. She's pointing to the fact that, as the king's widow she feels she should derive some satisfaction from the king.
Frankie: widow implies marriage...I always understood that it was an...arrangement like Amalie and I have.
Louise: not quite, sire. Baron Stockmar dealt with the marriage. It was a private affair, discreet. Clearly morganatic. But happen it did. And now not only does poor Queen Louise have to deal with having had her husband murdered in the street, she is faced with the question of whether her children are legitimate or not.
Frankie: and what has been the consensus?
Louise: the Belgian parliament accept the king and queen's marriage as in good faith. So does the pope. The only person that disputes it as the Comtesse Montgomery. She believes that she deserves those estates acquired from Princess Charlotte and before he became king of the Belgians.
Frankie: *pinches nose to stem a headache*
Louise: that's not the only wrinkle. There is the king's maïtresse-en-titre, Mademoiselle Claret
Frankie: the one he took to Frankfurt with him?
Louise: and her two children [6].
Frankie: her husband's children.
Louise: the late king's will acknowledged them as his, although it wasn't clear what provision should be made for them, if any, just that it should.
Frankie: *exasperated* I said it to my half-brother when he came to beg money from my father's will and I say it again: I dislike how dead people believe that, once they have wasted their lives, feel that they have some claim upon the earnings of the living.

*cut to Windsor Castle* *Queen Victoria is in the drawing room with her children, her mother, the Dowager Duchess of Kent, and Grand Duchess Anna Feodorovna [Juliane of Coburg]* *Prince Albert enters and sits down next to Victoria*
Albert: *whispering to Victoria while their aunt is speaking* George is waiting outside: he would like to speak with you.
Victoria: which George?
Albert: Cambridge George.
Victoria: why's he waiting outside like a petitioning Scotsman. Tell him to come inside.
Albert: he wishes to speak with you. Privately.
*cut to another room* *George of Cambridge is pacing up and down restlessly when Victoria enters*
Victoria: *warmly* George
George: *bows* your Majesty
Victoria: Albert tells me that you wish to speak with me?
George: *blurts* I wish to marry, your Majesty.
Victoria: *sits down* well...straight to the point. How refreshing.
George: I saw no reason to beat around the bush
Victoria: is this a request that I find you a bride? *pauses* or do I sense that this is more informing me that my decision on the matter is neither here nor there.
George: *fidgets nervously* *then squares his shoulders* I thought it best...to avoid the unpleasantness such as plagued the Gloucesters in the reign of our grandfather...to inform your Majesty that I wish to make this marriage.
Victoria: *nods* well...that is for the best. Have you written to Uncle Ernst about it?
George: I have.
Victoria: and?
George: he thinks its high time that I do. And while he doesn't approve of my choice, he, his children and grandchildren send their hearty congratulations on the matter.
Victoria: *muses* it seems I have a conundrum. If Uncle Ernst doesn't approve, I suspect I shall like her very much. And if he congratulates you I gather she is not a papist or a liberal.
George: your Majesty already does.
Victoria: you presume to tell your queen what she does or does not do, George?
George: *stammering* I meant, your Majesty, that I hope that your good will towards her will continue, notwithstanding.
Victoria: so she is someone I already know and apparently...already like...don't keep me in suspense, George.
George: Miss Adeline de Horsey, your Majesty.
Victoria: is she a relation of the duke of Wellington's protégé?
George: Lieutenant de Horsey's sister, madam.
Victoria: and you are decided on this matter? That you will marry her with or without my permission?
George: yes, your Majesty.
Victoria: *holds hand out for George to kiss* then you have my permission, George. And I wish you and Miss de Horsey every happiness [7], *once George has left* *looks up at the crêpe covered portrait of Uncle Leopold* *sharply* at least he didn't decide to marry some damned actress like you did.

*fade to black*

[1] The tradition of throwing oranges at members of the crowd is done in good spirit and not out of aggression, and to be hit was traditionally considered something to be proud of. Some even say that it's a sign of good fortune to follow
[2] Vettor Pisani
portrait-vittore-pisani-venetian-admiral-23315418.jpg.webp

there's a certain "irony" in the seemingly patriotic choice of costume. Pisani was likewise thrown in jail (by the Venetians), like Frankie was by Metternich, and let out when the state needed him.
[3] Louise de Mérode married Max de Beauharnais in Chapter I Can-Can You? and we last saw her as a spectator to the king of France's coronation in Chapter A New Created World. It's not exactly clear what she does when Frankie packs Max off overseas on an ambassadorial jaunt, but I suspect she isn't just being a wallflower. Given the fact that her husband is (technically) a French peer (duc de Navarre, marquis de Beauharnais), her being at court defending his interests is not impossible
[4] Emperor Franz settled this duchy on Frankie's Amalie before he died. Whether it was as an encouragement to his grandson to marry her or because he simply wished to provide for Frankie's children (per the Congress of Vienna, Reichstadt is only transmissable down the legitimate line)
[5] This guy. While I can't gage what type of intelligence/capabilities Erdödy had (he was only in power from March to April 1848), fact of the matter is that anybody who Metternich appoints is likely to be even more clueless
[6] while Léopold's children by Arcadie Claret, Madame Meyer were only born in 1849 and 1852 OTL, he met her in 1842/1844 already. No reason that he couldn't have fathered kids earlier
[7] while OTL Victoria despised Adeline and refused to receive her at court, this was only due to the earl of Cardigan's carryings-on with the lady in question. The girl was a débutante at court in 1846 and there is no sign of animus when Victoria sent her congratulations on Adeline's engagement to D. Carlos, Conde de Montemolin (TTL king consort of Spain). While she and Ernst would likely have preferred that George marry a princess, the fact that he is moving further back in the succession with each passing birth makes it less and less likely. Adeline's brothers didn't suffer from Victoria's dislike, with the one in question (Wellington's protégé) ending up as the queen's aide-de-camp and the other in service to Bertie OTL. At this point, Adeline's still a respectable girl from a respectable family (unlike George's OTL live-in-wife). The match will obviously be morganatic by Hannoverian standards though, but George's children will still be in the British line of succession

@Kellan Sullivan ! Amazing work as always! Max will make a good job in venice! And love how frankie plays with metternich like a fiddle.

Good stop on victoria and hapyp that albert stills seems healthy.

Last edited:
@Kellan Sullivan ! Amazing work as always! Max will make a good job in venice!
He'd certainly have the international connections/reputation (Brasil, Mexico, the United States, the Cape, Natalia, Brussels, Paris, Stockholm, London, Munich, Baden and Vienna) both from his family and his travels that he hopefully will. He's also "important enough" that he doesn't need to be a Metternich boot-licker.
And love how frankie plays with metternich like a fiddle.
and nobody can accuse Frankie of pushing his relatives into power if Metternich is the one appointing them (Walewski, Jérôme and now Max)
Good stop on victoria and hapyp that albert stills seems healthy.
well, the 1860s are a ways away, so a lot could still happen...

I love Frankie and Louise - they're cuties!
thank you. If her mother is the Comtesse de Mérode spoken of as being a lady-in-waiting to the Queen of the Belgians, then Louise would be a useful source on keeping Frankie updated in Brussels. Which just goes to show that while Metternich has a ring of spies, Frankie uses his family connections to eavesdrop

He'd certainly have the international connections/reputation (Brasil, Mexico, the United States, the Cape, Natalia, Brussels, Paris, Stockholm, London, Munich, Baden and Vienna) both from his family and his travels that he hopefully will. He's also "important enough" that he doesn't need to be a Metternich boot-licker.
Very happy for that, max has so much potential
and nobody can accuse Frankie of pushing his relatives into power if Metternich is the one appointing them (Walewski, Jérôme and now Max)
Exactly!
well, the 1860s are a ways away, so a lot could still happen...
Hope Albert makes it further, hes great help

Hope Albert makes it further, hes great help
He is. George- for all his stupidity OTL (so I suspect someone else- Albert, maybe?- suggested it)- also timed his request well. Victoria's pissed at her uncle for the "mess" he left with Fraulein Bauer, so it's actually the best time for him to announce "well, I'm done with that actress [Mrs. Fairbrother] and looking to settle down". Victoria might be so relieved that he could tell her he wants to marry his mother's lady's maid and she'd probably go "that's nice". Ernst supports the match- repugnant as he may find it- because it means he doesn't have to worry about Georgie coming to beg in Hannover.

He is. George- for all his stupidity OTL (so I suspect someone else- Albert, maybe?- suggested it)- also timed his request well. Victoria's pissed at her uncle for the "mess" he left with Fraulein Bauer, so it's actually the best time for him to announce "well, I'm done with that actress [Mrs. Fairbrother] and looking to settle down". Victoria might be so relieved that he could tell her he wants to marry his mother's lady's maid and she'd probably go "that's nice". Ernst supports the match- repugnant as he may find it- because it means he doesn't have to worry about Georgie coming to beg in Hannover.
Great timing indeed.

[2] Vettor Pisani
there's a certain "irony" in the seemingly patriotic choice of costume. Pisani was likewise thrown in jail (by the Venetians), like Frankie was by Metternich, and let out when the state needed him.
I remembered this name from The eagle's left head:
Venice, January 1372

The news of the surrender of Candia had not been received well in the city. Vettor Pisani in command of the Venetian navy would be unceremoniously sacked and sentenced to prison for six months.

I remembered this name from The eagle's left head:
Definitely feel like Frankie's "attachment" to Venice is doing/has done a lot to rehabilitate the city image as "tyrannical, corrupt and decadent" . Napoléon, the Habsburgd and the Savoies all profitted from this imagery OTL since it was a species of justification for their own behaviours. By pointing out that "as oppressive" as they were, at least they're not "as bad"

Para Inglês Ver [1]
Soundtrack: Napoleão dos Santos - Piano Concerto no. 2 in E-flat Minor - Allegro - Più Vivo

*exterior* *Petrópolis* *Emperor Pedro II and Empress Auguste of Tuscany are taking an evening stroll through the gardens of the Palaçio Imperial [2]* *behind them wander their children, Pedro Rafael, Prince Imperial of Brasil (b.1845), and Leopoldo Augusto, Duque de Pernambuco [3] (b.1846), with Francisca Maria Amelia [4] (b.1847) escaping her governess to toddle after her brothers* *behind the imperial family's "promenade" follow the court at a respectful distance*
*we see someone hurrying up and forcing his way through the crowd* *he passes word to "Dada" Rafael [5]*
*annoyance flickers over the man's face* *he nods and the messenger retreats into the crowd*
*Pedro is busy gesturing to something in the sky- using his walking stick to illustrate- to Auguste*
Rafael: my apologies for interrupting, your Majesties-
Auguste: *smiles* never, Rafael. What is it.
Rafael: the British are in Rio de Janeiro. They demand an audience immediately.
Pedro: they? who are they? Lord Cradock [6] has already conveyed the news of the queen's latest childbirth to me.
Rafael: it is concerning another matter.
Pedro: given that it takes twenty days to get to London, and twenty days back- weather permitting- this matter is three weeks out of date or three weeks early. They can wait until we return to Rio de Janeiro tomorrow.

*cut to the imperial parties coaches arriving on the outskirts of Rio* *soldier stops the carriages* *Pedro sticks his head out of the window*
Pedro: why are you stopping us?
Soldier: *salutes* your Majesty...this route is...dangerously exposed. It is the recommendation that you find another way to the capital.
Pedro: exposed? What are you talking about?
Soldier: your Majesty has not heard?

*cut to Pedro- alone on horseback- riding through Rio de Janeiro, the soldier leads him* *it looks like a war-zone* *fallen or burned out buildings* *people crying and screaming* *soldiers and people working furiously to dig out people trapped under collapsed rubble*
Pedro: what happened?
Soldier: the British entered the harbour yesterday afternoon. Then...just after midnight, they opened fire like we were Copenhagen. The admiral is refusing to come ashore or to speak to anyone but the emperor, sire.
Pedro: not even the ambassador?
Soldier: Lord Craddock is awaiting your Majesty at the Imperial Palace...or...what's left of it.

*cut to Lord Craddock standing in front of Pedro, seated on a makeshift throne in the garden* *behind him, the burned out shell of the palace rises ominously*
Pedro: we wish for you to inform her Majesty that we are most displeased that she should violate the territory of a sovereign nation for no reason and with no warning.
Craddock: yes, sire.
Pedro: that is all you have to say for yourself?
Craddock: I have been unable to make contact with Rear-Admiral Reynolds [7] to ascertain the reason for his actions, Majesty.
Pedro: we order the Rear-Admiral ashore to make his report before the day is out.
Craddock: *bows deeply* yes, your Majesty.

*shots of Pedro and Auguste walking along the now-ruined waterfront* *the air is still smoky and clearly from the way Auguste repeatedly brings her handkerchief to her nose, there's a smell* *there are several cries from the people whose homes and businesses were destroyed* *Long Live the Emperor! God Save His Majesty!* *a touching scene of Auguste holding the hand of an injured woman as she dies, propped up against the wall of an alley*
Auguste: I always knew the English were strange but this is... *gropes for the word in shock*
Pedro: barbarous?

*clearly the next day* *Craddock and an elderly Reynolds- in full uniform- bows to Pedro on his makeshift throne*
Pedro: we trust that you are recovered from your disorder of the bowels, that kept us waiting, sir?
Reynolds: *unapologetically* quite, your Majesty.
Pedro: now do you wish to explain to us the reason for you...Copenhagenizing our capital?
Reynolds: there is no explanation required, Majesty. I was under orders from her Majesty's government. *hands orders to an equerry to give to the emperor*
Pedro: *opens them and reads* these orders are from 1846. It is 1849, Admiral Reynolds, we would prefer it if you consult a calendar before you attack friendly nations in future.
Reynolds: *half-insolent* sixty-thousand reasons.
Pedro: *looks at him*
Reynolds: in the last twelve months, Brasil has been the recipient of sixty thousand slaves. Per the Aberdeen Act of 1845, this has been outlawed-
Pedro: *amusedly* we were unaware that our sister, the queen of England, was in some way our sovereign.
*several chuckles*
Pedro: but if the admiral will consult with Lord Craddock, you will find that Brasil agreed to Britain's abolition of slavery in 1826.
Reynolds: yet the trade continues illegally, sire.
Pedro: and now, since you have played Admiral Nelson to the Brasilian Navy, there is no manner of enforcing the laws against such trade. And as such, admiral, you must forgive us if we are unable to police this as thoroughly as you would like.
Reynolds: her Majesty's government will see the trade abolished, sire.
Pedro: *nods* her Majesty or her Majesty's government?
Reynolds: they are the same thing.
Pedro: *clearly disagrees but says nothing* then her Majesty's government may be informed that...until further notice...both you and Lord Craddock are hereby declared persona non grata at our court. And that she may expect a declaration of war on the next tide.
Craddock: *clearly surprised by this and tugging frantically at Reynolds' sleeve to "shut up"*
Reynolds: with what army, your Majesty? We destroyed your navy. We destroyed the arsenal-
Pedro: with sticks and stones if necessary, Admiral. But we will not tolerate Britain horning her way into the affairs of a sovereign nation- specifically a nation that she herself midwifed.
Reynolds: on the understanding that she would-
Pedro: that she would benefit? That she would act as protector? There was a reason my grandfather married my parents [8], Admiral. It was to balance the British influence. And I see that since the queen's sister has married the Prince-President [9] of Mexico, she believes herself to be once more unassailable in this part of the world. But this is not the 1820s, Admiral Reynolds.
*dismisses them*

[1] So the English can see it – Brasilian saying meaning “for appearance’s sake”. It comes fom when Britain put pressure on Brasil to free their slaves. Brasil made a lot of noises about doing it, passed many laws that “looked good” but didn’t actually alter the situation
[2] while the palace's cornerstone of which was only laid in 1845/18477 and completed in 1862, the gardens had been there since the 1820s. I can't find out if Pedro- who spent most summers in Petrópolis- lived in his father's palace while rebuilding (à la Versailles) or if he resided elsewhere
[3] Pedro II trying to indicate to the state that revolted that "all is forgiven and forgotten"
[4] unfortunately, there is no real way around these names. Francisca can either be for Pedro's favourite sister, Francisca, Princess Eduard of Weimar, or his brother-in-law and husband of his other sister, Janvière, François d'Orléans, Prince de Joinville. Maria Amelia can either be for Dowager Empress Amelia of Leuchtenberg or Maria Amelia of Naples, Queen of the French.
[5]
EVvA4wUWoAA-yAO.jpg

^This is Rafael^. Nicknamed the "Black Angel", he died at age 98,the day after the republican coup removed Pedro II from power. He arrived at the gates of the imperial palace that day, heard two soldiers on duty shout "Long live the republic!", then continued his walk, thinking nothing of it, to the library. There the librarian Raposo was walking up and down in a state of extreme agitation. Rafael asked what was wrong, and Raposo asked if he had not heard that the republic had been proclaimed and the emperor was at the Paço de Cidade. Rafael replied he hadn't then "may the curse of God fall upon the heads of the executioners of my boy [it was how Rafael spoke of Pedro]!" Then he fell over and died.
[6] John Hobart Caradoc, 2e Baron Howden, was the British ambassador at Rio de Janeiro until 1850
[7] Barrington Reynolds, Commander of the British South East Coast of America Station. He wrote that "Nothing can be done with the Brazilian government on this matter [slavery] except by compulsion". Given that he, Howden and Palmerston all seem to have held similar views of "half-civilized governments".
[8] João VI was desperate to offset the British amount of influence in South America, hence why an Austrian bride (he even sought a match between Pedro I and Anna Pavlovna but Alexander I never replied) was chosen
[9] I figure that Napoléon III was referred to as "Prince-Président Napoléon", Agustin is probably called "Prince-President Agustin"

Soldier: the British entered the harbour yesterday afternoon. Then...just after midnight, they opened fire like we were Copenhagen. The admiral is refusing to come ashore or to speak to anyone but the emperor, sire.
Pedro: now do you wish to explain to us the reason for you...Copenhagenizing our capital?
Copenhagenizing as a way to mean destroying and burning it down 🥲 We shall never forget