Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my attempt at including Wales and Cornwall into the Union Flag, while keeping it as similar and recognisable as possible, i.e. not a frankenflag like many other attempts have turned out (especially those hot messes that try to cram in a dragon).

Flag%20of%20the%20United%20Kingdom%20with%20full%20representation.png

Definitely better than the frankenflags. I've always felt the simplest addition of Wales is to make the lower blue sections green.
Was there a reason for adding Cornwall or just to see if you could? :biggrin:

Thande

Donor
Definitely better than the frankenflags. I've always felt the simplest addition of Wales is to make the lower blue sections green.
If one fills in the white fimbrillation yellow one could ditch the green in the bottom and just represent Wales that way to avoid taking away some of Scotland's representation.

If one fills in the white fimbrillation yellow one could ditch the green in the bottom and just represent Wales that way to avoid taking away some of Scotland's representation.

Unfortunately, that looks less English + Welsh and more, I don't know, Norman.
Unless you meant a partial colouration?

Crossposting my last minute entry from the latest flag challenge:
A quick entry inspired by the Stargate SG1 movie, Continuum. In this alternate timeline (of an alternate timeline) Ba'al's plan to travel back in time to destroy Earth's stargate long before the humans figure out how to use it goes off without a hitch. In addition, this alt Ba'al figures that it really isn't wise to keep around any of the traditional ancient system lords, let alone promise them (or their replacements) any land on Earth. He conquers Earth with few real issues, and rules it as its supreme overlord. His rule would be considered relatively lenient by goa'uld standards, even allowing a sort of toothless planetary government under him, but it was seen as less than ideal by the humans themselves.

The banner that is flown all over the planet shows the mark of Ba'al over a pyramid, with the sun in the background.

Inspired by a remark by one Jack O'neill, some of the remaining pockets of resistance in the United States have adopted a simplistic red ghost as their symbol, in mockery of what they like to call the "Tattooed Pacman" flag.

PMJREI2.png

Last edited:

Just adding Wales is boring. Cornwall is more of a challenge. Plus, I think devolved Cornwall is inevitable so there's a bit of future-proofing. AH.com in-jokes notwithstanding.

Not sure exactly what you meant (which white fimbriation, and total vs. partial) so here are my best guesses about your suggestion:

Flag%20of%20the%20United%20Kingdom%20with%20full%20representation%20%28Thande%27s%20suggestion%29.png

The first image (full yellow) would retain the full blue field, but would "take away" the crucial white of England, and Cornwall is no longer there.
The second and third images (partial yellow) have full representation, but they show why I avoided using St. David's Cross. It's not that well-known (compared to the official Welsh flag) and the yellow is quite jarring, so it will end up looking unbalanced and substantially changes the main cross. It doesn't look like a combination of St. George and other crosses anymore, it blends into something new that is more evocative of Germany or Belgium to the average viewer ("we've been taken over by those bureaucrats in Brussels!!").

The green from the current Welsh flag is more well-known, so while it results in a substantial change to the field, at least that change is recognisable as "Wales" to the average viewer. Plus, dark green is relatively similar to dark blue (ask the Japanese), so that combination will look rather "smooth" and equal, while yellow appears more "powerful" than white, so that combination will look jarring and dissonant.
The thin St. Piran's cross (I deliberately made it very thin) behind St. George's cross doesn't seem to substantially change the St. George's cross to me. The white between the red and black visually separate them, whereas the yellow of St. David's cross visually connect them together. Also I feel that maybe years of seeing black outlines in illustrations and cartoons have trained our brains to ignore thin black lines as simply "framing" rather than content.

and my last submission for the day...a flag i made while experimenting!! yay!
View attachment 283444
have fun!
Dude, let me get this straight : fuck off. First off, this flag is mine, and you have no right to post it as one of yours. Secondly, before you say "I'll not do it again" for the tenth time already, please get in front of a mirror, look at yourself, and think about why you are doing this. Finally, if you're going to repost my flags uncredited, I'd appreciate if you used the decent ones I made.

Honestly, using other people's flags uncredited is a honest mistake that can be made once. I did it too, back when I was active around here several years ago. But when you do it several times, it's not a honest mistake anymore, it's just you being disrespectful.

Alan Hardy

Banned
Going back some time now, I was working on an update of the flag of Slovenia. Ties into the mountain range motif that often appears on the shirts of their football team. To me, much more exciting than the boring flag they have at the moment...

now updated using ratio 2:3 on 600x400 pixels... and maybe the white bands are a little too wide...

Sym' opp' about vertical centre line.
Red central peak rises to one third height and has slopes of 62.5 degrees.
45 degree outer peaks.
White to blue line work of outer peaks point towards upper corners and mid point top boarder.
Carryover use of Red and Blue colours.

point data:
blue/white (central peak) = 299,1
blue/white (outer peak) = 150,150
blue valley/white = 200,199
white/red (central peak) = 299,135
white/red (outer peak) = 150,250
white/red valley = 211,310

Last edited:

Alan Hardy

Banned
Last year the New Zealand flag was up for a replacement study and I never got wind it was an official competition but did a number of designs that incorporated a slant that places the stars in the hoist in a night sky of dark blue with a white fern draped over the green land in the lower fly. I just found the spacing worked a bit better that way. Even though I'm not even 90% happy with the shape of the fern leaves, the design shown below is my currently preferred design and like my Mississippi study I placed this on a mug too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.