Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: Now with description! Not entirely all that realistic, but I made more out of boredom than anything.
Note that this WWIII world is not our future, but that of a different timeline.

[...]

German Union
The German Union was formed after the collapse of the Eurozone and the European Union, starting at first as a common currency and economic agreement between Germany and Austria, later with the inclusion of Luxembourg. The new Großdeutsche Mark was able to be what the Euro was once dreamed of being, with smart economic planning having spared the three nations much of the strife the "Euro-pocalypse" has brought the rest of continent, the Mark even having greater value than the US Dollar. As the Russians became more militant, Germany, Austria, and Luxembourg agreed to have the economic alliance also become a military one, with full integration as one Federation occurring just prior to the Third World War as rising tensions made many like the idea of strength in numbers. After the war, outside of the annexation of German-speaking Belgium to the administration of Luxembourg after the Implosion of Belgium, Germany has made no official gains; instead they simply militarily occupy much of Eastern Europe that lies north of the Balkans, in counter to the Russian occupation of the Baltics, Finland, and Arabia. Most people under German rule in these areas refer to the government as "The Fourth Reich", calling their own "cooperative governments" the rather diminutive title of "Reichskommissariat". However, they harbor no true ill-will, believing the Germans are a far better master to the Russians they had once been under in decades past, and the fair and open elections maintained by the German military, and in Germany itself, has allowed for the growth of the Integrationist Movement, who call for the German Union to officially bring in its occupied territories as equal members of the federation. Some argue the name should be changed to the "Mitteleuropan Union" but some don't even go that far. Many Germans support the idea, but others are opposed, not out of racism or anti-imperialism, but because granting the regions equal rights might mean the a less secure buffer between Munich and Moscow...

A democratic Fourth Reich? That's possibly the weirdest thing I've seen on this site. Also, you're using the "Weimar colours", but in the wrong order, maybe to make the flag look more Austrian... Just what happened in said different timeline? PoD before or after 1945?

A Flag of Navarre featuring the ATL Wheelcross symbol

LOTAmk3 flag Navarre.png

I made this 12-star 12-stripe flag for another thread, and I think it's a cute idea to share here.

attachment.php

I wrote a computer program in Processing to draw this for me, so if anyone requests, I can make variants of the US flag with little effort. For example, I could easily make the CSA Stars and Bars, or the flags of Texas or Liberia.

As a little fun, this one by all rights should be the current US flag:
attachment.php

or the US could have gone with this
attachment.php

I'm sure other people have had the ideas for these two last before, but the internet doesn't have a lot of examples of 50-stripe US flags, or flags with 50 stars in a circle.

Wow! That's a really cool program! Is there any way you can make me a flag with 5 stripes and 11 stars? And if it's not too much to ask, another one with 11 stripes and 5 stars? I want to see how they look. I'm considering one of those for a timeline.

Alternate US Flags: ID, IL, IN, IA

Here's the next set of alternate US state flags: the I states.

alternate_us_flags__idaho_by_rubberduck3y6-da0v1vv.png

Idaho
Idaho's nickname of the "Gem State" is symbolised the six-pointed star which represents the star garnet - a gemstone unique to the state. The gem hovers above the white zigzag line of the mountains to represent a possible meaning of the state's name, "Gem of the Mountains". Another possible meaning of the name Idaho is also represented by the colour blue, the "Land of Many Waters", as well as the sky and Idaho's waterways. Together the red, white and blue also recall the flag of the United States. The green lower stripe symbolises Idaho's agricultural resources and its vast wilderness areas.

alternate_us_flags__illinois_by_rubberduck3y6-da0v2t6.png

Illinois
Illinois' state motto of "State Sovereignty, National Unity" is represented by the central emblem which shows a large red star which symbolises the state of Illinois and its sovereignty, surrounded by a ring of 20 smaller states symbolising the 20 existing states of the Union which Illinois joined when it became the 21st state in 1818. The flag of Chicago, the state's most populous city, is recalled by the six points of the star representing Illinois in the emblem. Surrounding the star are six outwards pointing arrows to symbolise Illinois' central position in the country and its role as a transportation hub. Lake Michigan and the state's rivers are symbolised by the blue stripe, while the outer gold stripes symbolise Illinois' nickname of the "Prairie State".

alternate_us_flags__indiana_by_rubberduck3y6-da0v46i.png

Indiana
The two crossed torches symbolise Indiana's state motto of the "Crossroads of America", while their position on the flag recalls Indiana's history as part of the old Northwest Territory. The three diagonal stripes represent Indiana's three major rivers, the Wabash, the White and the Ohio, while the blue represents Lake Michigan and the red the Indianan people. The flag also contains the red, white and blue of the flags of both the United States and France and the blue and gold of the historic French royal standard representing Indiana's current status as an American state and its history as part of New France.

iowa_by_rubberduck3y6-da0vdm1.png

Iowa
The three feathers in the centre of the flag are arranged in a fleur-de-lis to symbolise both Iowa's nickname of the "Hawkeye State" and its history as part of the French colony of Louisiana. The two blue stripes on the outside of the flag represent the rivers which form Iowa's western and eastern boundaries, the Mississippi on the west and the Missouri and Big Sioux on the east, a situation which is unique in the United States. The wider gold stripe represents Iowa's corn and wheat fields. The red and gold colours also recall the Spanish flag as the territory of Iowa was briefly under Spanish control.

You wrote a program for this? Woooah.

Oh, yeah, if you download Processing, you'll find that you can write programs to make images. It's really helpful for simple geometric art like you commonly see on flags. If you have a a complicated image like a seal, you can draw that in whatever editor you want, and tell processing to place it on top of your tricolor or whatever.

Is there any way you can make me a flag with 5 stripes and 11 stars?

No problem! Welcome to alternatehistory.com! We're glad to have you here.

attachment.php

And if it's not too much to ask, another one with 11 stripes and 5 stars?

One thing I discovered is that if you have five stars pointing away from the center of the circle, they all also have a point pointing up.

attachment.php

I can do make any adjustment to this you want (different size, stars placed a little differently, different number of points).

If anyone reads this a long time from now and wants me to make a flag for them with my program, please private message me.

Isaac Beach

Banned
I made this 12-star 12-stripe flag for another thread, and I think it's a cute idea to share here.

attachment.php

I wrote a computer program in Processing to draw this for me, so if anyone requests, I can make variants of the US flag with little effort. For example, I could easily make the CSA Stars and Bars, or the flags of Texas or Liberia.

As a little fun, this one by all rights should be the current US flag:
attachment.php

or the US could have gone with this
attachment.php

I'm sure other people have had the ideas for these two last before, but the internet doesn't have a lot of examples of 50-stripe US flags, or flags with 50 stars in a circle.

Those are awesome, and that's an awesome program! Well done :D. Don't want to be a bother but could I trouble you for a 45 and 63 star flag, preferably in concentric rings please?

Last edited:
Here's the next set of alternate US state flags: the I states.

Well, not how I would have done Illinois, but it's definitely "flag worthy", unlike our current flag :D Are you doing all these from a modern perspective or with a PoD at the start of the state that allows these? Chicago's flag is a good flag, though with a downstate perspective I'm contractually obligated to argue against it ;)

Also have to say this post made me realize it's odd that Illinois, Indiana, and Iowa all touch and are so close in alphabetical order.

Made a UK flag if Scotland seceded:

yj7MWW4.png

Also, Australian flag with same alterations:

uTW3Zoe.png

Illinois
Illinois' state motto of "State Sovereignty, National Unity" is represented by the central emblem which shows a large red star which symbolises the state of Illinois and its sovereignty, surrounded by a ring of 20 smaller states symbolising the 20 existing states of the Union which Illinois joined when it became the 21st state in 1818. The flag of Chicago, the state's most populous city, is recalled by the six points of the star representing Illinois in the emblem. Surrounding the star are six outwards pointing arrows to symbolise Illinois' central position in the country and its role as a transportation hub. Lake Michigan and the state's rivers are symbolised by the blue stripe, while the outer gold stripes symbolise Illinois' nickname of the "Prairie State".

Very nice! I'm a Chicagoan, and yesterday I made some art based off the Chicago flag.

Main flag:
dasMeZg.png

Hanging flag (linked due to its length):

https://i.imgur.com/TojPptA.png

Roundel:

h0QEtVo.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.