First the Falklands, then Belize

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Belize is too close to home for Uncle Sam to allow ANY agression, especially while the Cold War is still in full swing.

Sounds like a quick regime change is due in Guatemala City. Or a fast deplyment out of Ft. Bragg.

It may not have been right, and I'm just about sure it wasn't fair, but the America's were very much controlled, on the macro scale, out of DC (truth is, they still are) 1960's Cuba notwithstanding. Any leader on the continent who forgot that in the Cold War days got a rapid reminder. Screwing with Belize would be an invitation for a quick hello from the RDF.

whats the history around this Guatamala wanting Belize thing?

As I recall, when the British settlers first moved in, they were given permission from Spain to found a settlement for logging, but it was not to be under the control of the English government proper and was to stay Spanish territory. When Guatemala became independent, Britain formed a colonial government formally in British Honduras.

As I recall, when the British settlers first moved in, they were given permission from Spain to found a settlement for logging, but it was not to be under the control of the English government proper and was to stay Spanish territory. When Guatemala became independent, Britain formed a colonial government formally in British Honduras.

It's rather like Iraq's opinion that Kuwait is a long lost province.

When I was in Belize I was told this story: When the British first established their settlements in Belize they were allowed to do so by the Spanish in exchange for building a road from what is now Guatemuala to Belizian capital. That road wasn't built. Thus the Guatemualans claim this invalidates the origional treaty and Belize doesn't have the right to exist. So whenever there's an election or public unrest in Guatemuala the leaders pledge to take Belize, which sounds pretty nice to the Guatemualans since Belize is somewhat richer.

They much be at least somewhat serious about it. Here is a picture of Guatemuala showing Belize as a Guatemualan province taken in a restraunt catering to tourists:

ga-be.JPG

The British case is based on the principle that Britain’s treaties were with Spain, and that Spanish territorial rights and claims to sovereignty were not inherited by its former colonies. The British and Guatemalan governments signed a treaty in 1859 but have disagreed about exactly what they were agreeing to. Like most of these colonial and postcolonial disputes, the arguments become very convoluted.