Final Impact-vol 3 in Axis of Time!

Volume 3 of Axis of Time by Birmingham is due according to uchronia.net on 30 January.Wait til you see the cover and brief description with no spoilers.Go to: http://www.uchronia.net and hit the section for future publication.Wow!

I think that's the Australian cover they show there. It's been out in Australia for a few months already. The US cover looks different.

I still can't believe that Australia got it 6 months before the US did. This is the first phase in the global rebellion against the righteous American hegemony!

John, if you are reading this I realize authors do not have input on covers but I am not so sure about the cover even though its the Australian version.Could you explain?

Well, it is out today at Barnes&NOBLE.Go, thou and buy!Won't say any moree but WTH with the cover!If that is the Aussie cover what is the American?BTW are some of the characters in the book -fictional ones-based on real life characters like a certain IJ Army Colonel named Tsuj1?From what I scanned, John, you did right blinkiing well!

I just ordered it from the Book club this weekend!
I'm waiting for both this one and Sky People, I can't wait!!

Cover and character qs.

I'm not sure which cover you've seen Edvader. But the US and Aust publishers are aiming at very different markets. In Oz it's publised as a mass market thriller. In the US it's pure AH/technothriller. Hence the diff. I can say no to a cover if I really hate it, but I prefer to keep my ammo dry for the big fights.

As to the real historical characters, yep, if you recognise a name, it's probably not a mistake. I use a lot of obscure real world people as incidental characters. One of the joys of the internet age is the thousands of personal histories from former soldiers, sailors and airmen which are available on the web. They're pure gold for a project like AoT.

cheers
JB

oh, and the new Stirling book is awesome!

I got this book today, the day it was supposed to come out. It wasn't on the shelf at Barnes and Noble, so I asked the clerk if he could check in the back. It was there :p

I just really like the style of these books, and concept. I can only hope to write that kind of cool stuff someday. I was first directed to the series by a short article in Time magazine; I like alternate history and the description of the sci-fi/military aspect looked cool. Interestingly, the cover of FI has a blurb from Time praising the military aspect.

Anyway I just started chapter 5. Haven't had much time to read it today, but I'll probably finish it soon.

btw, I wonder if Prince Harry knows about this series? I'd get a kick out of seeing him with a copy of one of the books.

FINALLY got my copy over the past weekend. I've been dying for this book forever. So far I'm really satisfied, can't wait to comment about everything after I finish (about halfway through).

Brimo, if you take a peak, how do you write historical figures? There is only so much research can tell you right? So is there anything you just take your best guess at or no?

I just finished Final Impact. I loved it of course, not just for all the blood shed and explosions (nuclear and otherwise), but for the in jokes. Like who owns the NY Times in the year 2021...

I just really like the style of these books, and concept. I can only hope to write that kind of cool stuff someday. I was first directed to the series by a short article in Time magazine; I like alternate history and the description of the sci-fi/military aspect looked cool. Interestingly, the cover of FI has a blurb from Time praising the military aspect.
Well this forum is litrally infested with stories with simliar themes.
I suggest you try Chris's Second Chance and Multiverse War series.
I would also suggest Adam's When Clio Dances Vol I and II, Adam has also written some 'proper' Brimoverse fanfic under the name of Anung Rama.
Amerigo Vespucci's Final Countdown fan fic Vol I and II.
Then of cause how could I not promote my own work?:D It can be found in fragments at my blog or at CTT (see the other links, look for works by Chirstopher Roach entitled First Bloody and Desert Sand, Pacific Sky).

Anf then of cause there is the official Brimoverse fan-fic site... the Miniburger

And I had better not forget Brimo's blog.

Brimo, if you take a peak, how do you write historical figures? There is only so much research can tell you right? So is there anything you just take your best guess at or no?
Yep Brimo, if you've got any advice on how to use historical characters I wouldn't mind it... I currently go out of my way to avoid writing major historical character to try to avoid any problems.

I finished FI just a short while ago. Man, I'm still coming down from that high...

I enjoyed the setup of the alternate Cold War, with Stalin being checked, but he controls much more ground then before. NATO's defenses will be shifted ninety degrees to the south now. Also wonder if France ends up with a DMZ?

Just finished the book and well...

It caused a bit of frustration as I finished it.

Not to give away too many things, but there were a lot of things that were going on in the last book, a lot of plot threads coming to a head, a lot of things that I had wanted to see resolved. and I was oh so looking forward to seeing them. Yet... everything seemed to have completely shifted into a different direction.

And fast forwarded through time...

Throughout reading the entire book, it felt like there was another one missing, like I had skipped one book and didn't know what the hell was going on with all the characters.

A lot of it left me muttering "WTF" and flipping through pages to see if i did actually miss something and not just misunderstand what was written, the flashbacks didn't really help or the occasionally hints of what happened, and the frustrating thing was the whole building up to an event to have it either neatly side stepped or something even bigger happening.

I guess i was looking mainly for the big slug fest of a battle that would determine the future, instead it was a simple, defeat one foe and line up the next... I wanted to see the Uptimers at their best, leading the charge, as it were, for them to be doing something other than video conferencing or wracked by emotional problems.

I did like the book and A LOT of things happened, but it just felt like everyone was left hanging after the second book and that there should have been another before this one. one to resolve all the issuess and to give some satisfaction of 1. seeing how Hawaii was retaken, 2. seeing justice served for the murders 3. see more of the whole beginning of revolution in Russia, and 4. seeing more of the 21st cent. military going to work on the Various evil empires. Beyond Harry, Duffy, and the Havoc captain, they did nothing at all.

It book was good, action paced, fast paced, it kept me reading until my eyes blurred from the wee hours, and ultimately left me slightly irritated that there was this giant gap between the first two and this one. Plus is it just me or did all the 'bad guys' go full steam ahead toward the stereotypical Height of Debauchery All Out Bad Guy, ala Jabba the Hutt?

I give it a 3 out of 5.

I did like the book and A LOT of things happened, but it just felt like everyone was left hanging after the second book and that there should have been another before this one. one to resolve all the issuess and to give some satisfaction of 1. seeing how Hawaii was retaken, 2. seeing justice served for the murders 3. see more of the whole beginning of revolution in Russia, and 4. seeing more of the 21st cent. military going to work on the Various evil empires. Beyond Harry, Duffy, and the Havoc captain, they did nothing at all.
Brimo had time constraints which prevented him playing up the Russian insurrection any more. I must agree with the recapture of Hawaii happening off screen something was seriously missing. As for the 21C troops going into action... re-read Designated Targets, the 21C Australian and American ground units fought an extensive action with the Japanese that ultimatly sevearly culled the US Marines... but yes it would have been good to see Lonesom and co waste a few more Japs.

I just got mine a few hours ago and finished it moments ago.

SPOILERS...SPOILERS...SPOILERS!!!​

I found the advance of the Soviet Union to be nothing short of absurd. Stalin has been cut off from Lend Lease for two years which means his transport system is far worse than in OTL 1945 yet he is able to launch a massive invasion of Poland, of the Balkans and a huge belt from Venice all the way to the Bay of Biscay and overrun most of China and Korea and Indochina and Afghanistan and Iran AND Japan while an assault against eastern Germany is stopped only by massive use of nerve gas and the million or so German soldiers on the spot(with SUPERIOR weaponry to OTL)? I know that a need existed for the next villain but...words simply escape me. I was very disappointed.