Fictional countries in political thrillers (TV and books)

So in Scandal there is reference to the fictional independent countries of East Sudan and Kurdistan. When I first came across these references I thought it would be interesting to see a map of the world in Scandal. And I also wondered if there were any other fictional countries that anyone remembers being referred to in political thrillers (whether on television or in books)....

West Wing has Qumar which was supposed to be Saudi Arabia equivalent but located nearby, not where RL SA is.

West Wing has Qumar which was supposed to be Saudi Arabia equivalent but located nearby, not where RL SA is.

They also had at least two African countries. One was Equatorial Kundu.

One generic Latin American country that got used a lot in various action movies and thrillers was Val Verde ("Green Valley"). IIRC, one of the films it was mentioned in was Die Hard 2.

In one Tom Clancy's novel had country called United Islamic Republic. But I don't remember what novel it was.

It was a union of Iran and Iraq, somewhat akin to OTL's United Arab Republic (Syria+Egypt).

Union of Iran and Iraq?!:eek:

Someone didn't do research!

Did they also have a United Slavic Republic with Russia and Poland and Yugoslavia? That inexplicably includes Hungary and Romania for better borders?

As a side note, I might have just come up with the absolute worst idea for a country ever.

In all fairness, it was done after the Iranians whacked Saddam, and it didn't hold up for very long either.

Union of Iran and Iraq?!:eek:

Someone didn't do research!

Did they also have a United Slavic Republic with Russia and Poland and Yugoslavia? That inexplicably includes Hungary and Romania for better borders?

As a side note, I might have just come up with the absolute worst idea for a country ever.

It was the United Islamic Republic, and it lasted just about as long as it took for the United States to kick it to pieces.

The novel 'The Lost Embassy', by Adam Fergusson, is partly set in a land called 'Carpathia' which is the upland section of the OTL 'Trans-Carpathian Ruthenia' (Habsburg up until the end of WW1, Czechoslovakian between the wars, part of the Ukraine after WW2; in this book, with a few days of actual independence before Czech forces marched in).