Female breasts not sexualised

*incidentally, why can't we have this conversation about the male body? That we are assuming that female body parts but not male body parts can become sexualized speaks volumes about how we talk about male and female bodies.

Well, this is what happened so I asked how to prevent it. Fact is that topless woman is less acceptable than topless man and men can "get away" without wearing something on their torso in situations where women can't.

Is it double standard? Sure, but my point wasn't trying to start debate why this is so and how it's unfair but erely how to avoid it.

OP, I have to ask: Are you from the USA, Britain or a Catholic country?

No, no, sort of.

Because you paint the sexualization of the female breast with way too broad a brush.

Do I? are you denying that woman's breasts are seen as sexual objects? Because just about everything in western societies says otherwise

Visit a topless beach anywhere in Northern Europe and you will see what I mean. I have rarely seen men on those beaches running around staring or god forbid with erections. Those few that did were invariably foreigners...It is a matter of context. Nude breasts can be boring as hell, really.

But that's the point, isn't it? It's a topless beach. A place where it's acceptable for women to be topless, which shows that outside of these spaces it's not.

What I'm trying to do is see how we can broaden these places so that woman being topless is just as acceptable as man being topless in same situation.

Well, this is what happened so I asked how to prevent it. Fact is that topless woman is less acceptable than topless man and men can "get away" without wearing something on their torso in situations where women can'

Oh how I wish it were not so. The Scots of Perth are obviously not used to the heat...it's like they reflect the light off of their chests! The glare, man, good gods the glare! :eek:

All depends on what you mean by "sexualization". If you mean breasts as a popular erotic fetish, there are lots of real life examples where they are not sexualized. If, as the OP indicated, that no sexualization means it is "just skin", then no it is not possible to divorce woman's breasts from sex.

Breasts are a sign that a woman has undergone puberty, and therefore capable of having children. It is an advertisement that the woman has become sexually available in a very general sense. This is basic biology.

However, the first humans were not born with clothes on. They were naked. Therefore, the naked body was not intended to cause permanent erotic behaviour in men.

Thus clothes, fashion, society, etc. has devised ways so that in culture there are ways to know if a woman is making herself at that specific time sexually available and to whom. In some societies, naked breasts by themselves do not indicate that. In the US and others, it's a pretty good indication.

For that matter my dad and grandpa were both nearly arrested on a beach (in Boston) for going topless. The cop only gave them a warning when he realized they were foreigners...
Seriously. This would have been in the 30s, I think.

The female breasts are not meant to be only milk containers for babies. Their very shape is proof of this fact. The rounded breasts of a young woman is not conductive for easy sucking by a human baby. Look at the breasts of other mammals like monkeys etc. They are long and easy for the babies to feed.
But human females have round breasts, in imitation of the rounded buttocks and they are sexually attractive for the males. So fondling and sucking breasts are inevitable parts of the foreplay in a usual homosapien sexual act. The breasts are undobtedly secondary sexual organs and most attractive organs of the female body to watch and touch.

It reminds me something funny that I could see on French TV. You know a few years ago there were a major fuss in the USA as a singer (forgot who) displayed a nippled while singing (super bown or something like that).

On French TV (at 8pm and not on cable TV) a guy reported the event, the whole audience ROLFed and then two topless hostesses appeared on each side and he ended an interview without "noticing". He then said "ok, if you can't just see how people are, then get a life and stop being morons". :p

We may be arguably the most intelligent creature on earth, but human actions all still go down to the same instincts that animals have. Reproduce, look for food and survive. The reason why some men like big breasted women is because they look the most fertile. Funnily enough, that chain of thought also leads to I want to have sex with that.

If they served no purpose and where just there for show, they first of all wouldn't exist, and secondly would be arousing in the slightest. I mean look at the man boob. I have never heard a single person in the whole world say man boobs are attractive. This could be down to two reasons, one being that in men they are not a sign of fertility, or they are just unattractive, essentially still the first reason.

If you want to make female breasts no sexual, then make them useless. Pretty soon they just won't exist.

Mercenarius

Banned
I mean look at the man boob. I have never heard a single person in the whole world say man boobs are attractive.

LOL. Thanks for the sig. :p

---

Anyway, if you want to prevent boobs from being sexualized, you may have to overhaul a human's instinct. And that requires ASB intervention.

They are not sexualized in some cultures (hip are!). Example: Tahitian. Medieval Europe had nothing against nudity and bathing together nacked (at least until 1350) and so on. IMHO, Blackfox is right.

They are not sexualized in some cultures (hip are!). Example: Tahitian. Medieval Europe had nothing against nudity and bathing together nacked (at least until 1350) and so on. IMHO, Blackfox is right.

Sure, but I'm also assuming that they at least pay them some attention when they have sex.

And male breasts are being increasingly sexualized, when they were not in the past.

I demand source on this.

All depends on what you mean by "sexualization". If you mean breasts as a popular erotic fetish, there are lots of real life examples where they are not sexualized. If, as the OP indicated, that no sexualization means it is "just skin", then no it is not possible to divorce woman's breasts from sex.

Breasts are a sign that a woman has undergone puberty, and therefore capable of having children. It is an advertisement that the woman has become sexually available in a very general sense. This is basic biology.

However, the first humans were not born with clothes on. They were naked. Therefore, the naked body was not intended to cause permanent erotic behaviour in men.

Thus clothes, fashion, society, etc. has devised ways so that in culture there are ways to know if a woman is making herself at that specific time sexually available and to whom. In some societies, naked breasts by themselves do not indicate that. In the US and others, it's a pretty good indication.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I demand source on this.

You only have to check how many companies now use (half)naked gym-men in their publicity campaigns. Of course, as a sexual bait for women and gay men; something that didn't happen in the past because a) women lacked of economy independence and b) gay men were illegal and immoral.

Breasts have always been sexualized due to their very nature, however I think female toplessness at least in equivalence to male toplessness, could have been normalized in western society if not for certain social morales.

Breasts are fetishized in western society mainly due to their "forbidden nature".

Breasts have been desexualised many times. In the 20s flapper outfits were designed to remove any indication of figure so that the girls could be 'one of the boys' and whatnot. In the early Tudor era (and a few other times I believe) corsets were specifically designed to flatten women's chests, while the dresses were puff out their hips to an outrageous degree.