Feel the Bearn - A Timeline of France's Only Carrier in WWII and Beyond

June 12th, 1945 2:00AM EST

Images swirled around him. Pictures of a great wall being constructed in a bombed out city. Of an old aircraft carrier being demolished. Sitting on the back of yacht, a blanket wrapped around him despite the heat of the summer. Of a blinding light over an immense city. They all flew by in rapid succession, so much so that he could scarcely ponder one before the next arose. He stood on the street before the Claridge Hotel, his face awash in the glow of the fires consuming its upper floors, and then -

When your poisoned drink from Comrade Stalin start's showing you images of the Future of Central London on fire then you really know that your screwed.

Last edited:
Chapter 6 - Best Laid Plans
June 12th, 1945 2:05AM EST

Harry Truman was aghast. He rubbed the stubble on his face and turned to Byrne and Stimson. Both had remained at the White House late into the night as the crisis continued to unfold, and each looked as weary as the President of the United States imagined himself to be.

"This is a disaster," said Stimson. The Secretary of War shook his head. "We are talking about a population transfer of millions of souls."

"Millions?", asked Truman. "France couldn't possibly have that many Germans remaining after the liberation. Even if we include POWs."

"Mr. President, he said the territories of France," replied James Byrne.

Perhaps it was the lateness of the hour, but it took several moments for the implications of what his friend had stated to dawn upon him. De Gaulle was not talking just of France itself. The French General had announced only seven days earlier that the zones of occupation that it controlled following the surrender of Germany were to become part of France outright. Zones in Austria and Germany that were home to an untold number of civilians.

And with a sinking feeling in his stomach, he knew exactly where De Gaulle intended to send them.

"God help us," he said.

June 12th, 1945 2:07AM EST

Anthony Eden was ecstatic. As Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs he could do little to counteract the waves of assassination and treachery that had embroiled London in the last twenty four hours, save to offer his support and council to the Prime Minister. However as De Gaulle finished his address, he felt renewed vigor as he stood in the command center of the bunker. Yes, Britain and France had come to blows over the Levant. And yes, there had been so many casualties on both sides. So many men and material lost. And he agreed with the Prime Minister and observed that De Gaulle had fascist tendencies. Yet the French leader was alive, and once more it appeared that both nations were united against a common foe. The Germans had struck both in London and Paris, and who knew how many more agents remained. Eden knew that with the right levers that De Gaulle could be a proper ally in this fight, despite all that had transpired in the last two weeks.

"It's a miracle!" he said to Churchill. The Prime Minister stood in the center of the room. He was staring at the radio, De Gaulle's address having just concluded.

Eden noticed that his friend was flush. Winston's face, no his entire visible body appeared to be red. He was trembling.

"A miracle", Churchill said quietly. Then it became a question. "A miracle?"

"Yes!" said Eden eagerly. "De Gaulle was as much of a target as you, and like you he survived."

Churchill said nothing.

"Mr Prime Minister, he can again be our ally. We do not know how many assassins still lurk outside these walls, and how deep the treachery runs. Undoubtedly there is even a stronger element of communist support with the Nazis in France. We can use this to -"

"A MIRACLE?" screamed Churchill. He threw a chair over. Instantly everyone in the room stopped what they were doing and stared at him. Winston ignored them and stalked over to Eden. "That beast is the cause of untold misery and suffering, both for our people and for his. The Nazis would be doing the world a kindness if they had succeeded in their schemes. Let me convey this to you, Anthony. There will never be an understanding between us and De Gaulle. There will never be a compromise. Do not speak of brighter days between us and him. There will only be darker days ahead because of him! Very dark days indeed!"

He turned and walked towards his office. Before he slammed the door he bellowed, his voice full of rage. "I want General Gubbins made available to me immediately!"

t9dbwgjycthl1rtluuaw.jpg

Last edited:
June 12th, 1945 2:55AM EST

The sun was rising, casting light on the efforts of the French sailors who were working to save their ship. Anti aircraft guns were being removed from their mounting and thrown overboard. The few surviving aircraft were mostly burnt out wrecks, and they too were sent over the side. Even the ships anchors were unspooled and jettisoned. Within the bowels of the carrier, men worked to shore up bulkheads and doors to arrest the tide of water. Captain Kraker of the Marblehead had also had second thoughts. The light cruiser has pulled alongside and was providing electrical power to the salvage efforts.

Jaucques Cousteau sagged against the side of the island. He would have preferred to command from within the bridge, but there was not a bridge anymore. It was a twisted and charred keep of metal after the sustained gunfire from the German u-boat. No, command had to be directed from the flightdeck for now. At least until an auxiliary command post had been made operational.

Raymond Oullette approached and saluted. He grimaced as he saw Cousteau's pale face in the morning light. "Sir, are you -"

"What is our status, Quartermaster?", Cousteau interrupted.

"Counterflooding is now complete," replied Oullette. "Our list has been reduced to 12 degrees. Two five inchers have been cast overboard and we're working on a third. We are also making good progress is pumping out the water from our engine room, thanks to the Americans."

"Good," said Cousteau. He leaned back against the island. The loss of blood over the last day coupled with exhaustion made each word spoken difficult.

"The Bearn will live."

June 12th, 1945 3:33AM EST

The private office of the Prime Minister within the command bunker was sound proof. Whether Winston knew that fact or not, Collin Gubbins was unsure. And given his state, the Major-General was unsure if it mattered.

Churchill circled the head of the Special Operations Executive who stood stiffly at attention. Winston's face was red and cast into a deep scowl.

"Failure!", the Prime Minister growled. "Incompetence! Ineptitude! Amateur!"

Gubbins did not flinch. Churchill had been alternating between lecturing and screaming at him for over a half an hour. He had been infuriated by the failure of Imperator. Not only had the operation against Charles De Gaulle failed, but any evidence that would marriage the attempted assassination between the Germans and communist elements within the French Provisional Government had vanished. De Gaulle had taken to the threat of Werwolves alright, and was now ready to send millions of German civilians streaming into the American and British zones of occupation.

"Inexcusable!" cried Churchill. The Prime Minister paused. After a moment he seemed to gather himself, then went to his desk and picked up a glass of Ararat brandy.

"Gallacher's survival means little in the greater scheme," said Winston. "The others have been locked up. The nation believes in the threat of the Hun and Stalin collaborating together."

"They do, sir," replied General Gubbins. He noted that the Prime Minister seemed to be almost reassuring himself.

"Hmm," muttered Churchill. He took a sip of brandy, then held up a paper on his desk. "The Bearn has not yet sunk. The Americans are reportedly still trying to save her."

He tossed the paper back down upon his desk. "It does not matter. Recall the submersible for another go at it."

Gubbins hesitated. He waited as Churchill stared at him. Finally Gubbins responded, "It is too late for that, sir."

June 12th, 1945 3:36AM EST

Colin Gubbins was incorrect. While the Prime Minister's office was indeed "sound-proof" to the point that conversations could not be overhead, it did not mean that noises themselves were also fully masked. Staffers and soldiers tried their best to ignore the faint, yet increasing screams of rage that emanated from behind the door to Winston Churchill's quarters.

September 27th, 1985

"For over forty years she has slept. She was the most advanced submarine in the German Navy, and until now the whereabouts of the world's most famous submarine were unknown. Join Dr. Robert Ballard tonight as he unlocks the mystery of the U-2511 and brings to life history from the bottom of the ocean floor."

-
Network television commercial for Finding the Catalyst: U-2511

d4393a4df1743ae40d614d96be5ad6e8.jpg

Last edited:
Beria leaned closer.

"It is only the people of France who have shown themselves worthy of France," declared De Gaulle. "And it is the will of France that in the next forty eight hours, all German peoples vacate the territories of France!"

If I may say so, this does not look in character for De Gaulle. Charles the great could be accused of many things but genocidal tendencies and inability to politically manoeuvrer were certainly not among these. And I'm certainly surprised he does not suspect a false flag operation from perfidious Albion, when he has just concluded a treaty with the Soviets and knows the French communists are not in the supposed conspiracy.

If I may say so, this does not look in character for De Gaulle. Charles the great could be accused of many things but genocidal tendencies and inability to politically manoeuvrer were certainly not among these. And I'm certainly surprised he does not suspect a false flag operation from perfidious Albion, when he has just concluded a treaty with the Soviets and knows the French communists are not in the supposed conspiracy.

He doesn't suspect a false flag operation due to the cover provided by the assassinations in Britain, as well as the "attempt" on Winston Churchill.

But that's today. There's a reason that Ballard looked for the U-2511 in 1985, and not the Titanic.

No. That's in the Pacific, we're just past the straits of Gibraltar in the Atlantic.

Its a joke

"It is only the people of France who have shown themselves worthy of France," declared De Gaulle. "And it is the will of France that in the next forty eight hours, all German peoples vacate the territories of France!"

Waiting for Truman to crash the French economy any day now but of course he won't

I wonder what happened to U-2511.....getting sunk by Allied warships is extremely unlikely unless it was scuttled or the Germans went into a set up trap to silence them forever.

He doesn't suspect a false flag operation due to the cover provided by the assassinations in Britain, as well as the "attempt" on Winston Churchill.

But that's today. There's a reason that Ballard looked for the U-2511 in 1985, and not the Titanic.

Yes. On the other hand expelling German civilians by the millions is hardly in character for the man, even if we assume he was very shaken by the attacks which given his OTL track record of reacting to attempts on his life and crises he's not going to be.

Pangur

Donor
Yes. On the other hand expelling German civilians by the millions is hardly in character for the man, even if we assume he was very shaken by the attacks which given his OTL track record of reacting to attempts on his life and crises he's not going to be.
The Germans that are going to get expelled from where, Alsace Lorraine or ?

Pangur

Donor
There are no Germans in Alsace Lorraine, only German speaking French! But no, the whole French zone of occupation in Germany.
That was what I thought however I wanted to check. Its hard to see that as viable option, literally just after the end of the war in Europe the French would not have had the resources to do that

That was what I thought however I wanted to check. Its hard to see that as viable option, literally just after the end of the war in Europe the French would not have had the resources to do that

Remember there are still about 500k Soviet troops in the French zones if I recall.
But yeah it’s a logistical nightmare and completely out of character for CDG

June 12th, 1945 (2:30AM EST)

Ambassador Alexander Bogomolov was known as one of the more amiable Soviet representatives by numerous government ministers. Indeed, he was well regarded for his vodka and caviar parties. But those were different times. As he sat in the office of Charles De Gaulle he struggled to remain calm. What should have been easy for him was anything but. Rage mixed with fear in his mind. Bogomolov had not yet heard from Moscow, but he suspected that not only his position but perhaps his existence itself depended on the outcome of this conversation.

"The people of the Soviet Union have not agreed to this!", he protested.

De Gaulle sat across from him, back rigid. His face was emotionless as he stared back at the Soviet ambassador.

"Have they not?", he sniffed. "These were the conditions that your government had requested. France has merely accelerated the terms."

"But this is impossible," replied Bogomolov. "The treaty cannot be --"

"Treaties are like girls and roses," said De Gaulle, dryly. "They last while they last. If the Soviet Union cannot meet the terms of our treaty, then perhaps France requires a different partner."

Bogomolov was stunned. Abruptly, and to his own horror he lost control of his anger. "And what partner would that be? Great Britain? We see the love your Perfidious Albion has for your nation. The United States? Yes, go ahead. I am certain that their commitment to Europe's welfare will last just as long as it did after the Great War."

De Gaulle just stared back at him. Bogomolov shook his head and attempted to compose himself.

"The treaty called for an evacuation of German citizens from the occupied zones within a two year period," the Ambassador finally said. "The announcement was not to be made until Bastille Day. The people of the Soviet Union cannot commit to a population transfer in such a rapid fashion."

The French general remained quiet. Then, gradually he stood. De Gaulle turned away from the ambassador and looked out the window at the street below. Even though the glass had been reinforced, he knew that even this act carried risk.

"France has been wounded. And now it has been wounded again. The people demand justice. And they require assurances."

"What assurances can the Soviet Union offer that have not already been made," asked Bogomolov.

De Gaulle sighed, then turned to face him.

"I am willing to delay the transfer," he said. "But France will require additional assurances."

June 12th, 1945 (2:50AM EST)

At age sixty one these were the sort of nights that made Harry Truman wonder if he would live to see another evening. He rubbed his eyes and swallowed another gulp of the bitter coffee before him.

"General De Gaulle, I will not abide to this sort of nonsense," he said into the speaker phone before him. "We will not stand by and let you push millions of starving civilians into our occupation zones!"

"Your occupation zones," replied De Gaulle over the speaker. "I thought that Germany was divided equally by the Great Powers into zones of occupation. They are not your zones. They are those of the Allies!"

Truman exploded. "And right now you are showing yourself as less than an ally and more like the dictator Winston says you are! I'm about two seconds away from ordering the towline cut to your carrier and leaving her crippled hulk in the Atlantic!"

Byrne's eyes bulged as he took in that last comment. Truman shook his head dismissively. "Our countries have been friends for over a hundred years. In the spirit of that friendship, I ask you to reconsider."

"A great country worthy of the name does not have friends," came the reply.

Truman groaned and rubbed his forehead. This had to end, and end quickly.

"General, we will not allow this to take place. If I see so much as one German pushed out of your zone, I will cancel any further loans to your nation. And I will demand restitution for the four billion dollars that your nation owes to us."

There was no reply on the speaker. Truman looked at Byrne, then back at the phone. Still, nothing.

"General, I said that --"

"The United States will do what it must. But should you chose that course, be assured that we have the full military and financial backing of the Soviet Union. Any debt to you will be made whole by them."

Truman's eyebrows raised. De Gaulle was not finished.

"France cannot be France without greatness. And greatness mandates that the German threat be removed from our nation once and for all."

There was a pause.

"However, unlike our enemies we are not a heartless people. Nor do we reject the partnership of the United States. I am willing to delay the transfer. But France will require additional support."

Good old Grand Charles, playing both ends against the middle for the betterment of gloire and la mission civilatrice de France. This will end well for France...yeah.