Fear, Loathing, and Gumbo/Rumsfeldia Con't

Thanks for sharing! I am actually the author of this spinoff. I eventually plan on posting it on this forum as well, but I want to finish it over there first and refine it a bit before it gets up on this forum.

It goes without saying in my view that Reagan beating Wallace in 1976 is the most plausible, and perhaps most significant, point of divergence from the original Gumboverse.

I have read your new thread. It looks like Arabia has fallen into chaos on schedule. Now we need to see if China does as well!

So currently, there is a spin-off TL on talkelections about Gumbo with many changes from the original with the biggest change being Ronald Reagan winning in 1976 against Wallace. It is currently at May 1979 as of this post. One thing to note is that it mentions of a new fascist movement in America in the 80s by Lyndon LaRouche emerging from fringe democrats in the latest post.
I’ve just started reading it. Is this simply a spinoff of FLaG/Rumsfeldia or is it a reboot of the entire TL?

Thanks for sharing! I am actually the author of this spinoff. I eventually plan on posting it on this forum as well, but I want to finish it over there first and refine it a bit before it gets up on this forum.
Five decades is a long time. I am looking forward to it. You would of course have to invent a lot of people who were never born for TTL 2021!

Five decades is a long time. I am looking forward to it. You would of course have to invent a lot of people who were never born for TTL 2021!
I don't like using fictional characters except for royals, tbh. But I do plan on using a lot of people who never reached office in real life in high positions as the timeline progresses.

Since this is an alternate 1970s-2020s reality, I think the 1973 film Soylent Green (which predicts 2022 NYC) may provide some inspiration of "controlled chaos"!:

I don't like using fictional characters except for royals, tbh. But I do plan on using a lot of people who never reached office in real life in high positions as the timeline progresses.
In the OTL 2024, it is still largely Silents, Boomers, and X-ers who occupy prominent political positions. They would have mostly been born before the POD.

However, I am intrigued at just how obscure are you going to go. Fran Drescher as revolutionary governor of California?!!!

Lastly, if anyone has any suggestions for India in this timeline, I'd love to hear them!
I have the idea that both Sanjay Gandhi and Magnus Malan in South Africa hold out in a rump state in the interior with a narrow ethnic base of support akin to OTL Assad of Syria holding on to the west through his patronage base on Alawites.

Yes, but a more controlled sense of chaos, if that makes sense.

Can you see OTL's divide between "global cities"/academic cities and the surrounding hinterlands still emerging in many countries.

Would this world be as grayscale...

...or unoriginal:

Since South Vietnam never falls, I can figure this Back to the Future II image being real in Gumboverse 2015!:

Yes, but a more controlled sense of chaos, if that makes sense.

One key factor I can see contributing to a controlled sense of chaos is a never-ending energy crisis by contrast to the OTL 1980s and 1990s.

The worse 1970s coupled with this factor would mean that global Boomers wouldn't be as relatively wealthy and there wouldn't be as much of OTL's greying of wealth.

Given the implosion of the Lesser Mao's China, I wonder what happened to the extraction of rare earths that would eventually become so important for the production of digital technologies?:

Beatriz

Gone Fishin'
Less stable resource-rich states surrounded by equally closed or unstable neighbors means their resources are defacto closed off

Also could parts of India be the Hong Kong/Taiwan to Maoist China?

IMG_0585.png

HDI

Last edited:
Less stable resource-rich states surrounded by equally closed or unstable neighbors means their resources are defacto closed off

Also could parts of India be the Hong Kong/Taiwan to Maoist China?

View attachment 881573
HDI
Did you see may speculation on the Indian Civil War?:

"I have the idea that both Sanjay Gandhi and Magnus Malan in South Africa hold out in a rump state in the interior with a narrow ethnic base of support akin to OTL Assad of Syria holding on to the west through his patronage base on Alawites."

I suspect that any Indian equivalents of Hong Kong, Taiwan would definitely be in the south. These regions have historically had a stronger sense of mercantilist dynamism, in particular with Southeast Asia (which is why Tamil has been widely spoken there for many centuries). In the digital age, many cities in the south have been bigger tech hubs.

Last edited: