Fanny Kaplan kills Lenin, 1918

So what happens if Lenin is suddenly erased from history in August of 1918? If we (or rather Phillip K. Dick) can spin a successful assassination by Giuseppe Zangara into a nightmare Nazi-world, what can we do with a dead Lenin? What if Stalin becomes leader that early?

Last edited:
I don't think Stalin would become the leader at that stage. I could be wrong, but I suspect he hadn't burrowed into the leadership thoroughly enough yet. I'm not sure who would have replaced Lenin. I'm not even sure the leadership would have weathered the coming White counterrevolution without him. Interesting question, actually.

With the Soviets bereft of clear leadership and otherwise visibly vulnerable, the Entente powers would intervene more heavily in the Russian Civil War.
Because the assassination attempt came early in the conflict when the Reds lacked an efficient army, their defeat seems eminently possible.

Yes, indeed.

They'll be a counterrevolution alright, but does that necessarily mean that the Entente will be any more successful than OTL? Could you just have Chinese-style warloadism for a decade or two?