Falkland Islands: Governor on the run.

Thande

Donor
While we're on the subject, does anyone know anything about Rex Hunt's predecessor as Governor, Sir James Parker? Been trying to find out stuff for that TL I will eventually get back to.

Cook

Banned
Seriously, I'm a bit older than he was then. It'd be possible to hide him in 'Camp' but he could only broadcast recorded messages from use-once transmitters. Modern radiolocation's a bit better than the Nazis in the 1940s. Could get him evacuated by an SBS unit brought in by submarine, I suppose.

HF with a uni-directional antenna, not omni-directional. Very little splash outside the direction you are aiming in and thanks to the Falklands being made of wet sod and the carrier wave bouncing over ocean, low wattage would be required.

Cook

Banned
Yep, the officers who led the attack specifically state those were their orders.

The claim would possibly have some shred of credibility if the first action of the Argentine invasion force hadn’t been to assault the Marine’s Barracks at Moody Brook with heavy calibre machine guns and White Phosphorus grenades.

Cook, you're right...

...Moody Brook was riddled when they'd finished. Mind you, Argentina got a corvette and a sub messed up by an old Carl-Gustav A/T launcher.

Otherwise it depends where you're transmitting to - omni, if you're covering all of 'Camp'. Good earthing conditions, though...

Cook

Banned
Otherwise it depends where you're transmitting to - omni, if you're covering all of 'Camp'. Good earthing conditions, though...

My thoughts were that the best possible use would be to have the Governor transmitting calls of defiance to the ‘free world’, so unidirectional rather than omni. Given just how wet the Falkland Islands are it probably isn’t necessary to be on the north side of the islands so anywhere outside the main settlements would be good.

“This is Governor Rex Hunt in the occupied Falkland Islands…”
“This is a call to the British Isles from your fellow countrymen under Argentine subjugation…”

Every day he continued to make a transmission would be an embarrassment to the Argentine Junta; it’s never good when the liberated are calling the outside world for help. Then if he’s caught but the Argentineans he gets packed off to England for a hero’s welcome, otherwise he’s there to greet the troops when they step ashore, filmed for the TV news and an interview with Max Hastings.

Last edited: