Eyes Turned Skywards

I had that thought myself, I was about to do so.

Putting it together has actually helped me put all together in a clearer picture, too - many of the chapters overlap with each other, and you don't always realize what's going on at the same time. I would love to have added more ESA and Japanese items, but those were invariably the least chronologically marked.

I've made some other tweaks this morning, though I'm fairly despairing of adding every single Soyuz mission or planetary probe. I added a few items from "The Space Shuttle Decision" in the 1968-71 period (the Mayo memo, Seaman's space plane lobbying, Agnew's Mars-mania) that seem like they would still fit in your timeline, modifying for Low's reaction as necessary; I hope that's not an undue liberty. But it's your timeline, not mine. I just hope I'm of a fraction of as much service to it as Nixonshead's artwork has been.

Very much looking forward to Part III. Can't wait to see that first lunar mission.

P.S. I'm still quite pleased with how well that Kennedy/von Braun photo works with your title.

Putting it together has actually helped me put all together in a clearer picture, too - many of the chapters overlap with each other, and you don't always realize what's going on at the same time. I would love to have added more ESA and Japanese items, but those were invariably the least chronologically marked.
I can date some of the key ones (first and when applicable last launches of the various Europa and Japanese launcher families), but dating every launch is a bit of a blind alley in my opinion. US launches we get around a bit by basically saying that on the scale on months, they're pretty clockwork--a flight scheduled to May 5, 1988 or something might slip three weeks to May 26th, but that's still "May 1988: Spacelab crew rotation flight." When I looked at Russian launches in the Salyut-7 era IOTL, they seemed more chaotic, and thus harder to specify--and we weren't willing to invest a monstrous effort into figuring that out. Mir was a bit more regular IOTL, so maybe we can figure out some more dates there, but...it's a lot of effort for something that doesn't provide as much insight as "key" dates like assembly launches, program approvals, and so forth.

I've made some other tweaks this morning, though I'm fairly despairing of adding every single Soyuz mission or planetary probe. I added a few items from "The Space Shuttle Decision" in the 1968-71 period (the Mayo memo, Seaman's space plane lobbying, Agnew's Mars-mania) that seem like they would still fit in your timeline, modifying for Low's reaction as necessary; I hope that's not an undue liberty. But it's your timeline, not mine. I just hope I'm of a fraction of as much service to it as Nixonshead's artwork has been.
It seems like it'll be a big help. You can tweak the wiki to your heart's content, but any new information not specified in posts I'd appreciate if you could PM to me first for approval so the wiki date list can stay within canon.

Very much looking forward to Part III. Can't wait to see that first lunar mission.
Well, not long to wait on the first, at least. ;)

P.S. I'm still quite pleased with how well that Kennedy/von Braun photo works with your title.
It was a pretty good find.

Hello e of pi,

I had not planned to add any of this to the Wiki page - if you wish to do so, of course, you are welcome to do so. I can see how it might be helpful there, assuming it ends up accurate. Obviously, this is not strictly "canon" until the authors say that it is!

But I've tried to be as faithful as I can to what you fellows wrote.

I'm not overly concerned about the dates; in most cases we can at least narrow it down to the year, which is likely sufficient for the narrative's purposes. If you come up with any more dates, I'll be pleased to add them.

EDIT: I see that you've set up a page anyhow. I don't know if I have time for formatting stuff right now; we'll see what time allows. I think that helps the Wiki page, however.

P.S. I meant to ask - Does Voyager 1 still take the "Pale Blue Dot" photo in 1990, given how you've reworked Voyager 2 to swing by Pluto so early? I thought someone asked about that, but I can't find the post.

Last edited:
One other thing that strikes me about this timeline:

The first hot phase (1957-1969) of the "Space Race" basically comes to end with Armstrong putting his footprints in the lunar regolith around the same time that detente (and lots of hippies) are bursting into flower, and cold War tensions have ebbed.

And the second hot phase (1979-1989) of the "Space Race" basically comes to an end with both superpower space stations reaching operational capability (if not full completion) right when the Berlin Wall comes crashing down.

A lot of rich ironies in all of that.

The first hot phase (1957-1969) of the "Space Race" basically comes to end with Armstrong putting his footprints in the lunar regolith around the same time that detente (and lots of hippies) are bursting into flower, and cold War tensions have ebbed.

And the second hot phase (1979-1989) of the "Space Race" basically comes to an end with both superpower space stations reaching operational capability (if not full completion) right when the Berlin Wall comes crashing down.

i just wonder if the third hot phase (1990-2000s) is fueled by rivalry between USA and China or "what ever survived the USSR" has recovered,
but that certainly be answers in Part III beginning tomorrow...

Last edited:
Athelstane, I just wanted to join in the chorus with everyone else who has worked on this timeline and congratulate you on your excellent chronology :)

Well, you know what Mark Twain always said ;)

Athelstane, I just wanted to join in the chorus with everyone else who has worked on this timeline and congratulate you on your excellent chronology :)

Well, I thank you for your kind words; but if it is excellent, that is only because the timeline (and its artwork!) it's based on is so compelling.

Probably more time that I could have spent more productively...but with Part III debuting tomorrow, it seemed fitting to get a better handle on what has happened, and when.

Reading it through chronologically like that, I must add that it's not just a couple of ironies that pop out at me, but a reconsideration of whether we're really on target in assuming that the space programs will have very little in the way of butterflies for broader history. The "Vulkan Panic" stands at risk for doing more than just netting John Glenn a losing Veep slot and darkening a few sci-fi franchises. By bringing forward Reagan's announcement of SDI by a full year, coupled with Saturn Multibody - a much bigger mass delivery system to LEO than the Shuttle could ever be - how much more would this drive up Soviet paranoia during the very tense summer and fall of 1983, especially during the Able Archer crisis (plumbed so well in Giobastia's current timeline)? Could Andropov fear that Reagan has SDI capabilities even further along than he's letting on? Yes, the Soviets are a few years ahead of the game, seemingly, on Vulkan; but what point if they're hopelessly outclassed in whatever orbital ABM technology might be launched into orbit with it? Might Andropov take an even more alarmist view of what intelligence he's getting back from Operation RYAN?

Or to look at it another way, the escalation of the space race and ABM race in this timeline could be a more powerful impetus to serious reform efforts. In our timeline, the panic in the Politburo was sufficient to elect Gorbachev and foce the Soviets to frantically rework the 12th five year plan (1986-1990) in 1985 in hopes of catching up with the West, especially in high technology. Could this timeline bring all that forward - or some other, more desperate actions - by over a full year? If so, what could that do to the course of the remainder of the Cold War, when Andropov dies?

I don't know. I don't say e of pi and workable goblin are wrong in declining to take up those possibilities. But I hadn't really considered it before I saw it lined up against the wider course of events in geopolitics.

And all that aside, I'm now wondering if Spacelab 21 might stage its own mini "space olympics" in honor of the real thing in their roomy space station, perhaps as a propaganda move? They'll already have multiple nations present on board...

Update: I've made a few more tweaks to the timeline, including a new image and captions for the photos.

I don't have time to put all of this into the Wiki page (thanks to E of Pi for setting that up). But "newbies" or veteran readers wanting to get up to speed on just what's happened in the first two decades of this timeline before the launch of Part III later today can rely on this for a quick assessment of where things stand. Of course, there's no complete substitute for reading the actual installments themselves at the Wiki page: http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/doku.php/timelines/list_of_eyes_turned_skyward_posts

If it is not obvious, actual events of our own timeline are placed in italics; events of the ETS timeline are in regular typeface. American manned missions are in boldface; Soviet missions of note are in red typeface. Per the authors' clarifications, I'm assuming no butterflies to avert the major events in subsequent years (Fall of Saigon, Fall of Berlin Wall, Gulf War, etc.), a few of which I have added here and there to put these Space Race developments in context.

If I have made any mistakes, I look forward to being corrected. Hope this helps everyone get a quick idea of where things stand as Part III picks up in the middle of the first Bush Administration (ca. 1990).

Eyes Turned Skywards:
A Timeline

m147b.jpg

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
--Commonly attributed to Leonardo da Vinci

Jan 1967: Apollo I crew of Gus Grissom, Roger Chaffee, and Ed White is killed by fire caused by faulty wiring during a "plugs-out" test on launchpad, triggering a two month investigation and thorough redesign of the Apollo command module
Apr 1967: Soyuz I ends in disaster as V. Komarov is killed when his troubled Soyuz capsule crashes on landing, forcing a reassessment of the Soyuz program to parallel Apollo's trial
Nov 1967: Apollo 4 - First test launch of Saturn V rocket
Dec 1967: Successful flight of Europa F07, a test launch for the Coralie upper stage carrying a dummy third stage [AUXILIARY POINT OF DEPARTURE]

Jan 1968: Apollo 5 - First unmanned, Earth orbital flight test of LM, launched on Saturn IB
Apr 1968: Apollo 6 - unmanned test flight of Saturn V; Debut of Stanley Kubrick's groundbreaking "2001: A Space Odyssey"
Aug 1968: NASA Director James Webb halts production of the Saturn V after AS-515 as a response to congressional budget cuts, especially to the Apollo Applications Program (AAP)
Sep 1968: Soviet Union successfully launches and recovers unmanned Zond 5 for circumlunar flight, sending tortoises where no chelonian has ever gone before
Oct 1968: Apollo 7 successfully tests Apollo CM and SM in Earth orbit (Schirra, Cunningham, Eisele). NASA Director James Webb steps down after shepherding NASA through its eight most critical years; Thomas Paine is appointed interim Administrator of NASA by the outgoing Johnson Administration
Oct 1968: Soyuz 3 orbital mission (G. Beregovoi)
Nov 1968: Election of Richard M. Nixon as President of the United States; Successful launch of Europa F08 on Nov. 26, the first test of the complete Europa 1 vehicle by ELDO, the European Launcher Development Organization; Zond 6 unmanned mission on circumlunar flight, crashes on reentry
Dec 1968: Apollo 8 becomes the first manned mission to leave Earth orbit, returning after completing ten orbits around the Moon on Christmas Day (Borman, Lovell, Anders)

p312.jpg

The New Boss Takes Charge
The first Apollo 11 sample return container, containing lunar surface material,
arrives at Ellington Air Force Base, held by new NASA Administrator George Low (far left)

Jan 1969:Soyuz 4 and Soyuz 5 achieve docking in low earth orbit (V. Shatalov, A. Yeliseyev, Ye. Khrunov, B. Volynov)
Jan 1969: New Director of the Bureau of the Budget, Robert Mayo, writes a government-wide letter to those heads of agencies on January 23, asking them to review their portions of President Johnson's FY 1970 budget and to propose areas where spending might be reduced. Outgoing Administrator Paine urges a budget increase for NASA; [/i]other NASA chiefs, including George Low, are concerned that this is unrealistic
Feb 1969: Incoming President Richard Nixon decides to appoint NASA Deputy Administrator Dr. George M. Low as Administrator of NASA to replace Interim Administrator Thomas Paine [POINT OF DEPARTURE]
Feb 1969: NBC announces cancellation of "Star Trek" television series, citing low ratings
Mar 1969: Apollo 9 successfully tests out Lunar Module (LM) in low earth orbit (McDivitt, Scott, Schweickart)
Apr 1969: New Air Force Secretary Robert Seamans urges examination of a reusable space plane option to George Low, who reacts skeptically, concerned about its feasibility and cost
May 1969: Apollo 10 successfully tests out LM in lunar orbit, flying to within 8.4 nm of lunar surface (Stafford, Young, Cernan)
Jun 1969: George Low officially confirmed as new Administrator of NASA by U.S. Senate; President Nixon asks the National Aeronautics and Space Council, chaired by his Vice-President Spiro Agnew, to develop and present a plan for NASA's future; Low begins drafting post-Apollo plans for NASA in earnest, focusing increasingly on space station options: Air Force cancels Manned Orbiting Laboratory military space station project, allowing seven of its 14 designated astronauts to join NASA
Jun 1969: Soviet Luna E-8-5 No.402 makes first attempt at lunar sample return, destroyed after upper stage failure
Jul 1969: Explosion of Soviet N-1 booster 9 seconds into test flight at Baikonur launch facility, resulting in one of the largest artificial non-nuclear explosions in human history
July 1969: Apollo 11 performed the first manned landing on the Moon in the Sea of Tranquility, fulfilling the mandate of President Kennedy (Armstrong, Aldrin, Collins); Final plan for AAP (Skylab) tentatively decided: one Saturn-V, three Saturn IB rockets for launch and crew delivery of "dry" orbital workshop
Aug 1969: Mariner 6 and 7 successfully complete flybys of Mars
Oct 1969: Joint Mission of Soyuz 6, 7 and 8 in low earth orbit (G. Shonin, V. Kubasov, A. Filipchenko, V. Volkov, V. Gorbatko, V. Shatalov, A. Yeliseyev)
Nov 1969: Apollo 12 performed the first precise manned landing on the Moon in the Ocean of Storms near the Surveyor 3 probe. (Conrad, Gordon, Bean)

Jan 1970: NASA decides that Apollo 20 will be cancelled, allowing SA-514 to be assigned to launch Skylab, America's first space station, in 1972
Apr 1970: Apollo 13 aborted after an SM oxygen tank exploded on the trip to the moon, causing the landing to be cancelled, leading to a dramatic "successful failure" recovery of the crew (Lovell, Swigert, Haise); People's Republic of China launches its first satellite, Dongfanghong I on a Long March I rocket (CZ-1)
Jun 1970: Soyuz 9 attempts endurance test in low earth orbit (A. Nikolayev, V. Sevastyanov); Vladimir Chelomei finally able to obtain a formal go-ahead for development of the TKS ferry to Almaz military space stations
Aug 1970: Soviet Venera 7 becomes first spacecraft ever to land on another planet, touching down on Venus, going silent shortly after touchdown
Sep 1970: NASA decides that Apollo 15 will be cancelled, allowing SA-515 to be assigned to the followup space station to Skylab; Apollo 16, 17, 18, and 19 are renumbered 15-18, all "J-Class" Missions
Oct 1970: Having decided to focus future NASA manned efforts on low earth orbit space stations, Administrator George Low receives approval to begin design work on Saturn IC, the successor to the Saturn IB and V rockets, using upgraded F1-A engine; as well as approval to begin design work for Apollo CM Block III and Autonomous Automated Rendezvous and Docking Vehicle (AARDV) for station resupply. Soviet Academy of Sciences president Mstislav Keldysh responds to NASA Administrator George Low letter proposing a project about a cooperative space mission, eventually to become the Apollo-Soyuz Test Projects

Jan 1971: Apollo 14 landed successfully at Fra Mauro, delivering first color video images from the surface of the Moon, first materials science experiments in space, and one legendary golf shot (Shepard, Roosa, Mitchell)
Apr 1971: Soyuz 10 attempts failed docking with Salyut 1, the world's first space station (V. Shatalov A. Yeliseyev, N. Rukavishnikov)
Jun 1971: Soyuz 11 succeeds in docking with Salyut 1, but all three astronauts die tragically on reentry (G. Dobrovolski, V. Patsayev, V. Volkov); third Soviet N-1 rocket test launch fails
July 1971: Apollo 15 lands at Hadley-Apennine as the first "J series" mission with a 3-day lunar stay and extensive geology investigations; First use of the Lunar Roving Vehicle (Scott, Worden, Irwin)

??? 1972: European Space Research Organization (ESRO) and the European Launcher Development Organization (ELDO) merge to form the European Space Agency
Mar 1972: Launch of Pioneer 10 space probe to Jupiter
Apr 1972: Apollo 16 lands in the Descartes Highlands, completing 3 lunar EVAs using lunar rover and deep space EVA (Young, Mattingly, Duke). President Nixon and Soviet Premier Leonid Brezhnev sign Agreement Concerning Cooperation in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space for Peaceful Purposes, clearing the way for Apollo Soyuz missions
May 1972: Wernher von Braun retires as head of the Marshall Space Flight Center
Nov 1972: Fourth and final Soviet N-1 rocket test fails
Dec 1972: Apollo 17 lands at Taurus-Littrow after first night launch, completing three EVAs using lunar rover (Cernan, Evans, Engle); Vasiliy Mishin is replaced as head of Soviet space program efforts by Valentin Glushko, who consolidates Soviet space efforts into a new agency, NPO Energia, and promptly cancels the struggling N-1 program

37105273-media_httpuploadwikim_BFmxD.jpg

Farewell to the Moon - For Now
Lunar Module Pilot Harrison "Jack" Schmitt loads soil samples
into his lunar rover during Apollo 18, July 17, 1973

Jan 1973: Soviet Union cancels N-1 rocket program; Paris Peace Treaty ending the Vietnam War signed
Apr 1973: Launch of Pioneer 11 space probe to Jupiter
July 1973: Apollo 18 successfully lands at Hyginus Crater, mounting three EVAs using lunar rover and setting new records for lunar exploration, including first scientist astronaut, geologist Harrison Schmitt; evidence found on EVA's of possible lunar lava tubes (Gordon, Brand, Schmitt)
July 1973: Soviet Mars 4 and Mars 5 probes stage flyby and orbit of Mars
Sep 1973: Soyuz 12, low earth orbit test of redesigned two-person Soyuz craft (V. Lazarev O. Makarov)
Oct 1973: Yom Kippur War
Dec 1973: Soyuz 13, low earth orbit mission carrying Orion observatory (V. Lebedev, P. Klimuk)
; closest approach of much-anticipated Comet Kohoutek disappoints skywatchers around the world

Jan 1974: Skylab I launches on one of final two Saturn Vs, suffering serious damage to solar panels and micrometeoroid shield/sun shade. Skylab 2 mounts successful repair and first long duration (28 day) space station mission (Conrad, Weitz, Kerwin)
Mar 1974: Soviet Mars 6 and Mars 7 landers fail to return usable data
Jun 1974: Skylab 3 launches for a successful 59 day mission aboard Skylab (Bean, Lousma, Garriott)
July 1974: Soyuz 14 visits Salyut 3 space station (Yu. Artyukhin, P. Popovich)
Aug 1974: President Richard M. Nixon resigns from office, and is succeeded by Vice President Gerald R. Ford
Aug 1974: Soyuz 15 mission fails to dock with Salyut 4 space station (L. Dyomin, G. Sarafanov)
Nov 1974: Skylab 4 launches for a successful 84 day mission aboard Skylab (Carr, Pogue, Gibson)
Dec 1974: Soyuz 16 mission tests redesigned Soyuz spacecraft

Jan 1975: Soyuz 17 mission visits Salyut 4 space station for 29 day mission (G. Grechko, A. Gubarev)
Jan 1975: Defense Department commences Expendable Launch Vehicle Replacement Program to service military launch needs, eventually resulting in selection of Delta 4000
Jan 1975: Valentin Glushko finalizes new Soviet space program, centered around new Vulkan booster system, a large space modular station, MOK (later to be named "Mir"), serviced and crewed in turn by Chelomei's TKS space vehicle
Apr 1975: Fall of Saigon, South Vietnam to communist forces
Apr 1975: Soyuz 18 mission fails in docking attempt at Salyut 4 (V. Lazarev, O. Makarov)
July 1975: Apollo-Soyuz Test Project (ASTP) I completes first joint U.S.-Soviet manned mission in space, conducting experiments over three days after rendezvous and docking with Soyuz 19 (Stafford, Brand, Slayton, and Leonov, Kubasov); Foundation of National Space Organization, the first major space advocacy organization in the world

Jan 1976: First test launch of AARDV
Jun 1976: Space Station Salyut 5 launched into orbit by Soviet Union
July 1976: Skylab 5 launches aboard first Apollo Block III CSM for successful 60 day mission to Skylab, demonstrating successful docking and use of first AARDV as resupply vehicle, and first live interview with press from space as part of American bicentennial celebration (Schweikert, Lind, Lenoir); Viking 1 and 2 successfully land on surface of Mars, returning photographs and sample analysis from Martian surface; launch of Soyuz 21 mission to Salyut 5 space station (B. Volynov, V. Zholobov)
Aug 1976: Successful deorbit of Skylab over Pacific Ocean, using AARDV engine
Aug 1976: With final launch of Saturn Ib complete, Mobile Launcher Platforms #1 and #3 as well as Launch Pad LC-39B at KSFC commence conversion for the use of the Saturn IC
Oct 1976: Launch of Soyuz 23 mission to Space Station Salyut 5; mission aborted when Soyuz capsule failed in docking attempts
Nov 1976: Jimmy Carter is elected President of the United States

??? 1977: NASA announces selection of eighth astronaut group, known as the "Twenty Freaking New Guys," including first women and minority astronaut selections; Congress approves Voyager Uranus program for two follow-up interplanetary probes in the Voyager program, designed to explore the Jupiter and Uranus systems
May 1977: Debut of George Lucas's "Star Wars"
Jun 1977: Death of Wernher von Braun
July 1977: First successful test of Saturn IC rocket at Cape Canaveral
Aug 1977: Voyager 2 space probe launched from Cape Canaveral
Sep 1977: Voyager 1 space probe launched from Cape Canaveral; Launch of Soviet Salyut 6 space station; launch of "Star Trek: The New Voyages" television series on NBC, resurrecting Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek franchise
Nov 1977: Debut of Steven Spielberg's first contact movie, "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"

attachment.php

A New Era For NASA
First manned launch of NASA's new Saturn IC rocket
from pad LC-39B, Spacelab 2, April 17, 1978

Apr 1978: Spacelab space station launches into orbit on final Saturn V; Spacelab 2 crew successfully rendezvouses and docks with station for activation and 28 day mission (Brand, Truly, Musgrave)
July 1978: Spacelab 3 crew (Young, Cripped, Henize) receives 2 man crew of Soyuz 29 (N. Rukavishnikov, V. Ryuminas) part of Apollo-Soyuz Test Project (ASTP) II for tension-filled international 60 day mission of experiments, successfully receiving AARDV logistics module
Fall 1978: Escalating "Seat Wars" controversy between NASA and ESA is resolved by approval in the FY 1979 NASA budget of Rockwell International proposal for development of a modified Block III+ Apollo CSM including two additional astronaut seats and a new Mission Module to expand Apollo capability to five man crews
Nov 1978 Spacelab 4 completes extended mission including AARDV logistics flight, and first modular assembly operation in spaceflight history with docking of Airlock Module (Roosa, Fullerton, Thornton)

Jan 1979: Spacelab 5 arrives for first space station mission overlap, seeing off crew of Spacelab 4, and presence of first ESA astronaut Wubbo Ockels (Engle, Bobko, Ockels); Pioneer Mars launched to Mars
Mar 1979: Voyager 1, Jupiter Flyby
May 1979: Spacelab 6 mission (Haise, Overmyer, Allen)
July 1979: Voyager 2 makes successful flyby of Jupiter
Sep 1979: Spacelab 7 mission completes record-breaking 120 day mission (Lousma, Hartsfield, Merbold); Mariner Jupiter-Uranus probes launched from Cape Canaveral
Oct 1979: Launch and docking of the European Research Module to Spacelab, the first major ESA contribution to the American program, completed by crew of Spacelab 7; Launch of Voyager 3
Nov 1979: Launch of Voyager 4
Dec 1979: Soviet Union begins armed military intervention into Afghanistan, escalating Cold War tensions

Jan 1980: Spacelab 8 mission concludes final flight of the Block III, phased out after this mission in favor of the Block III+ (Weitz, Peterson, Chapman); Launch of first Delta 4000 from Cape Canaveral Launch Complex 40
Jun 1980: Spacelab 9 mission (Crippen, Hunt, Wood)
July 1980: Summer Olympics held in Moscow; many Western nations boycott over the invasion of Afghanistan, further eroding detente
Sep 1980: Spacelab 10 mission successfully employs first flight of Block III+ with 5 persons and with the first French astronaut in space; infamous for the "Garlic Incident'; launch of Carl Sagan's COSMOS program on PBS
Nov 1980: Voyager I flyby of Saturn; Ronald Reagan is elected President of the United States

Jan 1981: Spacelab 11 mission includes Peggy Barnes as first US woman in space and first EVA by a Woman in space; NASA and Dept of Defense finally agree to shared development cost of Saturn Multibody launcher system as a successor to NASA's Saturn IC and the Air Force's Delta 4000; NASA added to EVLRP program as junior partner
Jun 1981: Spacelab 12 mission: Japanese researcher Katsuyama Hideki was selected to fly in the “short stay” opportunity created by F. Story Musgrave’s double-rotation stay on Spacelab; Voyager 3 flyby of Jupiter
Aug 1981: Voyager 2, Saturn Flyby
Sep 1981: Spacelab 13 mission; Voyager 4 flyby of Jupiter

Mowscow+takes+the+lead+bk.png

The Cold War Heats Up
"Vulkan Panic" hits American media: Time Magazine, Oct. 8, 1982

Jan 1982: Launch of first Vulkan booster, carrying unmanned TKS spacecraft on a resupply mission to Salyut 6 - beginning of "Vulkan Panic" in the West
??? 1982: Spacelab 14 mission
Mar 1982: Launch of second Vulkan booster, carrying military communications satellite Cosmos 1366 into space
??? 1982: Spacelab 15 mission
May 1982: President Reagan announces the Strategic Defense Initiative, a national effort to build a comprehensive missile defense shield
July 1982: Responding to Soviet Vulkan launches, President Reagan directs NASA to begin planning a large station to follow up on the successes of Skylab and Spacelab, with possible plans to return to the Moon in the post-1990 timeframe, and announces a large increase in military spaceflight R&D spending, particularly on the Strategic Defense Initiative, resulting in a 20% real increase in funding for FY 1983: Reagan announces that the new U.S. space station will be called "Freedom"
??? 1982: Spacelab 16 mission
Nov 1982: Launch of Salyut 7’s first DOS core module and the first Soviet crew on first manned TKS capsule to the station on third and fourth Vulkan launches, ratcheting up "Vulkan Panic"; death of Leonid Brezhnev, followed by election of Yuri Andropov as General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union

Feb 1983: DOS-8 core module launched to complete Salyut 7 assembly; Soviet Union announces that the name for its new modular space station will be Mir (Russian for "peace")
??? 1983: Spacelab 17 mission
??? 1983: Spacelab 18 mission
??? 1983: Spacelab 19 mission
Sep 1983: Shootdown of KAL Flight 007 airliner by Soviet air defense forces
Oct 1983: Debut of movie adaptation of Tom Wolfe's "The Right Stuff", energizing Sen, John Glenn's presidential aspirations; U.S. invasion of Grenada
Nov 1983: Able Archer 83 NATO exercise and nuclear crisis

??? 1984: Spacelab 20 mission: teacher Laura Kinsley becomes the first American non-astronaut to fly in space, visiting Spacelab
Feb 1984: Death of Yuri Andropov, followed by election of Konstantin Chernenko as General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union
??? 1984: Spacelab 21 mission
Apr 1984: Rakesh Sharma becomes first Indian astronaut, visiting Salyut 7; Final episode of "Star Trek: The New Voyages" is aired on NBC after a successful 154 episode run
July 1984: Summer Olympics held in Los Angeles; many East Bloc nations refuse to attend in retaliation for 1980 Olympics boycott
Aug 1984: Democratic Presidential nominee Walter Mondale selects Mercury veteran Sen. John Glenn as running mate
??? 1984: Spacelab 22 mission
Nov 1984: Landslide re-election of Ronald Reagan as President of the United States, defeating Walter Mondale and running mate John Glenn
Dec 1984: Debut of Peter Hyams' "2010: The Year We Make Contact"

??? 1985: Spacelab 23 mission
Mar 1985: Election of Mikhail Gorbachev as General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union
??? 1985: Spacelab 24 mission
July 1985: Launch of Kirchoff comet probe
??? 1985: Spacelab 25 mission
??? 1985: Launch of Hubble Space Telescope

Jan 1986: Voyager 2 makes first-ever flyby of Uranus, discovering 11 new moons and Uranus's tilted magnetic field
??? 1986: Spacelab 26 mission
Mar 1986: Newton, Suisei/Sakigake, and Gallei cometary probes conduct close encounter with Halley's Comet
Apr 1986: Chernobyl nuclear disaster in Ukraine
??? 1986: Spacelab 27 mission
Aug 1986: Japan launches first flight of its H-1 rocket, a Delta 4000-derived vehicle with an entirely Japanese-developed Centaur replacement upper stage using a natively-developed LE-5 engine
Sep 1986: Spacelab 28 mission: Apollo CSM under Cmdr. Don Hunt forced to abort during launch when F1-A engine loses gimble lock; stand-down of Apollo-Spacelab program is immediately announced, pending investigation of accident
Oct 1986: Reykjavik, Iceland Summit between Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev
Nov 1986: Completion of Review Board investigation into launch abort of Spacelab 28 mission

attachment.php

A Last Soviet Hurrah
Spacewalk of Aleksandr Viktorenko during first TKS mission to Mir, April, 1987
(Image: ITAR/TASS TV)

Jan 1987: Launch of Soviet Space Station Mir's first MOK core module, followed by the first DOS Lab and first Soviet Mir crew mission
Feb 1987: Spacelab 29 mission resumes occupation of Spacelab
Mar 1987: First Saturn Multibody core acceptance-tested; last crew departs Space Station Salyut 7 in preparation for its deorbit
Apr 1987: The Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) is established by Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Great Britain, and the United States in order to curb the spread of unmanned delivery systems for nuclear weapons, specifically delivery systems that could carry a minimum payload of 500 kg a minimum of 300 km
July 1987: Galileo Probe arrives at Jupiter, releasing probe into Jovian atmosphere., commencing seven year mission to the fifth planet
??? 1987: Spacelab 30 mission
??? 1987: Spacelab 31 mission
Nov 1987: Inaugural launch of the Saturn M02, bearing the final Block I AARDV; final testing of functional models of AX-4 and A9 space suits on board Spacelab by astronauts Chris Valente and Peggy Barnes
??? 1987: DOS-8 'Kvark" Module is added to Mir as its second intended laboratory module, despite a failure by its Strela-1 robotic crane
Dec 1987: Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev sign final INF Treaty in Washington, DC, reducing Cold War tensions

Jan 1988: Spacelab 32 mission: final manned mission to Spacelab, with a three man crew commanded by Don Hunt; deorbit of space station over Indian Ocean follows shortly thereafter using AARDV-14 thrusters; Valentin Glushko begins several months of shuttling between Moscow and Baikonur, trying to secure funding for the continued operations of the Soviet space program
??? 1988: Venus Orbiting Imaging Radar (VOIR) probe is launched to Venus, returning detailed data of Venus's topography and atmosphere
Jun 1988: Voyager 2 completes flyby of Pluto and its moon Charon, heading out into the outer regions of the Solar System
July 1988: Test launch of Saturn H03; Flyby of Kirchoff probe by Comet Tempel-2; Soviets launch Mars 12 and 13 probes to Mars, both dispatching successful landers to Martian surface
Oct 1988: Launch of Challenger module of U.S. Space Station Freedom on Saturn H03; First flight of Apollo Block IV on Freedom Expedition 1 under Cmdr. Jack Bailey to activate station and complete addition of first truss
Nov 1988: George H.W. Bush is elected President of the United States

Feb 1989: President George Bush selects Harrison Schmitt, Apollo 18 veteran moonwalker, as new Administrator of NASA; Soviet Union withdraws from Afghanistan; DOS-10 Izdelia is added to Soviet Space Station Mir as its third laboratory module; Node 1 and Truss 1 added to U.S. Space Station Freedom
Apr 1989: Freedom Expedition 2 is launched, completing addition of Discovery and Columbus laboratory modules, along with second truss segment, over next few months, to U.S. Space Station Freedom; Death of Valentin Glushko; Vladimir Chelomei is appointed to take his place, and soon begins aggressively pushing his Buran space plane program
May 1989: Maiden flight of Europa 4 booster
July 1989: President Bush and Administrator Schmitt announce a new space initiative, Project Constellation, announcing a planned return to the Moon; Exploration Report is commenced by the Office of Exploration, outlining a $50 billion plan for a return to the Moon over the next 20 years, with three options considered (A,B,and C) leading up to permanent lunar bases and manned missions to Mars; Mikhail Gorbachev gives his "Europe as a Common Home" speech in Strasbourg, announcing that the Warsaw Pact nations would be free to decide their own futures
Aug 1989: Freedom Expedition 3 launched, increasing station crew to 10; U.S. Space Station Freedom officially reaches "Initial Operational Capacity"
Aug 1989: Voyager makes first-ever flyby of Neptune, discovering its "Great Dark Spot"
Oct 1989: Freedom Expedition 4 launched
Nov 1989: Fall of the Berlin Wall and the Revolutions of 1989 in Eastern Europe
Dec 1989: Malta Summit between President George Bush and Mikhail Gorbachev recognizes the end of the Cold War

TripleMoonsFlat_zpse001a02b.png

Three Moons In Space
Famous "Triple Moon" photo of space stations Freedom and Mir, Nov. 9, 1989
passing in front of the Moon - the day the Berlin Wall fell

Jan 1990: Freedom Expedition 5 launched
Feb 1990: Voyager 1 takes the first ever "family portrait" of the Solar System as seen from outside, which includes the famous image known as "Pale Blue Dot"; Soviet space authorities curtail flights to Mir, leaving only a skeleton crew of three cosmonauts to occupy Mir alone for up to eight months at a stretch
Mar 1990: ESA-built Node 2 Harmony added to Space Station Freedom, containing 4 additional CADS ports, and boosters for the station’s life support systems, air and water supplies, and hygiene facilities, as well as the Canadian-built Cupola; East Germany holds first free elections
Apr 1990: Freedom Expedition 6 launched
May 1990: First arrival of a Minotaur cargo vehicle at Space Station Freedom; East and West Germany sign a treaty agreeing on monetary, economic and social union
??? 1990: Mars Reconnaissance Pioneer probe arrives on Mars
July 1990: Launch of Freedom Expedition 7, with Alan Shepard, America’s first astronaut and Freedom 7 veteran, sits in as CAPCOM for famous connection with Freedom crew
Aug 1990: Iraqi invasion and occupation of Kuwait, beginning of Operation Desert Shield
Late 1990: Approval by Congress of Project Constellation of NASA's Exploration Report's "Option A," limited to lunar sorties and studies of eventual lunar bases; Administrator Schmitt creates two new offices, Artemis for the planned lunar return program, and Ares for reviewing existing and developing technologies with an eye towards Mars exploration
Fall 1990: Robert Zubrin mounts vigorous but unsuccessful campaign to replace Exploration Report lunar-focused recommendations with a Mars First program; Bank of Japan slashes interest rates, leading to the long Japanese recession, "the Lost Decade," of the 1990's; Soviet authorities order remaining military satellite launches on the Soyuz rocket transferred to the more secure Plesetsk launch site in northern Russia
Oct 1990: Freedom Expedition 8 launched; Germany officially reunifies, and begins the long and costly task of rejuvenating the Eastern German economy
Nov 1990: Centrifuge Gravity Lab Module, a unit to test the effects of simulated gravity, is added to Space Station Freedom, and quickly becomes known as "McDonald's Farm"

Jan 1991: Freedom Expedition 9 launched
Feb 1991: Iraq defeated in four day Persian Gulf War
Apr 1991: Freedom Expedition 10 launched
Jun 1991: Japanese Kibo Module attached to Space Station Freedom, now served by a constant rotation of Japanese crewmembers flying to the station on American Apollo capsules; the attachment of Kibo completes the assembly of Space Station Freedom
July 1991: Disastrous fire at Baikonur cosmodrome destroys Site 1, including the famous Gagarin's Start launch pad, providing another ominous sign of Soviet collapse; Freedom Expedition 11 launched
Aug 1991: Attempted hardline coup in Soviet Union; Soviet republics rapidly announce their independence from the USSR
Oct 1991: Freedom Expedition 12 launched
Dec 1991: Dissolution of the Soviet Union; resignation of Mikhail Gorbachev as Soviet leader on Christmas Day

Jan 1992: Freedom Expedition 13 launched
??? 1992: Launch of Near Earth Asteroid Pioneer probe
??? 1992: Mars Traverse Rovers (Liberty, Independence) arrive on Mars
??? 1992: India reaches agreement with Russia to develop a new clustered-core booster and hosting of sveral Indian astronauts on spapce station Mir
Apr 1992: Freedom Expedition 14 launched
July 1992: Freedom Expedition 15 launched
Oct 1992: Freedom Expedition 16 launched
Nov 1992: Election of Bill Clinton as President of the United States
Late 1992: China reaches agreement with Roscosmos, the new Russian space agency, and Energia on a proposal to offer support for Chinese development of rockets and capsules and Chinese completion and crewing of final DOS module to space station Mir

Feb 1993: Launch of Piazzi asteroid probe
??? 1993: Robert Zubrin announces the creation of a new organization, On To Mars, with the sole goal of promoting a Mars mission as the next logical step for the American space program

May 1994: Galileo space probe observes spectacular impact of elements of comet Galileo on Jupiter, reprogrammed to reenter Jovian atmosphere shortly thereafter

Jan 1995: Hubble Space Telescope finally reenters Earth atmosphere after nearly ten years of enormously fruitful service in orbit
??? 1995: Vladimir Chelomei forced to retire from NPO Mashinostroyenia in 1995

Last edited:
You should probably add or alter:

December 5, 1967: Successful flight of Europa F07, a test launch for the Coralie upper stage carrying a dummy third stage.

November 26th, 1968: Successful launch of Europa F08, the first test of the complete Europa 1 vehicle.

(neither of these are as per OTL, and they serve as an auxiliary PoD)

Love the timeline! The picture of the Saturn IC liftoff, actually seeing it there with the big F-1A engine bell, made me wonder: How does the Saturn IC manage roll control? Does it?

EDIT: Also a question about the timeline posted: are there any "free-flying" Apollo missions or are all crewed launches to Skylab/Spacelab/Freedom?

Last edited:
Hello WG,

Done!

I was wondering whether the European developments were an auxiliary point of departure - maybe you said it, but I may have just missed it. Thanks for confirming that. I've put a notation by the F07 launch date as just that.

Love the timeline! The picture of the Saturn IC liftoff, actually seeing it there with the big F-1A engine bell, made me wonder: How does the Saturn IC manage roll control? Does it?

EDIT: Also a question about the timeline posted: are there any "free-flying" Apollo missions or are all crewed launches to Skylab/Spacelab/Freedom?

I'll let the authors handle the roll question, which is a good one, by the way.

As for the timeline: I'm not aware of any given by e of pi or truth in the history to date, at least not after Apollo-Soyuz (ASTP) in 1975. All the rest appear to be sent to Spacelab or Freedom. If there were any manned free-flying flights, I'm not aware of them.

It seems unlikely, because it doesn't seem possible to fit one in the launch schedules as we have them - three per year to Spacelab, 2-3 per year to Freedom. Apollo Block III didn't have the staying power for such a mission anyway, and it's unclear what any Apollo Block III, III+ or IV could accomplish anyway given their much more limited Delta V capability (vis-a-vis Block II) due to the smaller engine and fueled SM, that they could not accomplish anyway on Spacelab or Freedom - satellite repair is all I can come up with. And I can't imagine any satellite being worth the risk and expense of such a mission, save possibly Hubble (assuming it's even in a workable orbit) or some super-secret DoD mission.

There was, as you may recall, a proposal to include an Apollo-Telescope mission as part of Apollo Applications, but the Telescope got added to Skylab instead.

p15.jpg

Last edited:
Given the state of the F-1A program, I'm thinking vernier engines on the Saturn IC then switched to turbopump gasses routed through an off-axis secondary nozzle on Multibody.

EDIT: This is the voice of Eyes launch control, standing by at 25 minutes past the hour. It's a beautiful morning here at the site, all systems are green, and the count is nominal. We've escorted all meddling time travelers and their cats/Vulcan sidekicks off the premises and we're looking real good to come out of our planned hold at 17:00 UTC, 1 PM local.

Last edited:
EDIT: This is the voice of Eyes launch control, standing by at 25 minutes past the hour. It's a beautiful morning here at the site, all systems are green, and the count is nominal. We've escorted all meddling time travelers and their cats/Vulcan sidekicks off the premises and we're looking real good to come out of our planned hold at 17:00 UTC, 1 PM local.

We've got one of 'em cooling his heels in the brig as we speak.

isis2.jpg

Part III, Post 1: The post-Cold War space program.
Well, folks, here we are once more. I'll admit, I'm nervous. Both Workable goblin and I, with the help and support of our various collaborators, have put a lot of time, though, and effort over the haitus into coming up with what you're going to start seeing today and in the coming weeks, and today's when you're waiting and our work (hopefully) starts to pay off. Today, we're starting off Part III of eyes Turned Skywards with a single orbit, once around the world to check in on everybody. Note that some of this coverage is sort of sketched--every program mentioned in here will be covered in more depth in later updates, this is just to get everybody back grounded.

Before we get started, I'd like to take this chance to once again thank Workable Goblin for being one of the best co-writers I could have imagined working with, and to thank all our collaborators: the Brainbin, who's bringing not one but two culture updates to the table this time around, as well as Nixonshead and Michel Van for their assistance with art to bring this timeline to life. Nixonshead has been working with us to make sure that most updates from part III will be paired with a couple images reflecting events in them that may be key but cannot get full attention in the text--"spotlights" as it were. The first set of those will be going up on Monday. If you'd prefer to have these at the time of the post, let us know, but I'm experimenting with it to see if we can't keep discussion flowing a bit better between updates.

Finally, I'd like to point out one last time the link to the wiki pages in my sig--feel free to make use of the resources, and of course any assistance with maintaining things like the date list would be appreciated--the markup language is pretty simple, but there's more there than I have time to handle reformatting given my schoolwork and time spent on writing and editing.

Anyway, that's enough thanking the Academy, let's kick this off before I start thanking my elementary school teachers and they go for the hook. So! Picking up at T-10....9....8...7...6...5..4..3..2..1... 1854 comments, 236929 views

Eyes Turned Skyward, Part III: Post #1

Since the start of the Space Race, the Soviet space program had always been a point of pride for the nation. From the days of Sputnik and Gagarin, it had been a way of demonstrating the power of Soviet technology and answering the challenge of the Western capitalists. However, as the 1980s came to an end, the future of that space program in the 1990s—along with the future of the entire Soviet Union—was becoming far less assured. The economic foundations of the Soviet Union were crumbling, and the Glasnost and Perestroika policies of Mikhail Gorbachev were, in stark contrast to his hopes, not stabilizing the country but instead critically weakening the grasp of the central government on its many satellite states. By the time of Valentin Glushko’s death in April of 1989, the continued survival of the Soviet Union as a unified power was very much in doubt. By June, with Chelomei (Glushko’s replacement as Chief Designer) still working to lay out a grand vision of how he might shape the future of the Soviet space program, the people living in the Warsaw Pact nations of Eastern Europe and the Baltic were demanding a similar hand on their own political futures. Bowing to the inevitable, Gorbachev announced in July that at least the Warsaw Pact nations would be free to decide their own futures--despite similar conditions in the Baltic, Gorbechev still dreamed of retaining some kind of abbreviated Union . While Poland, Czechoslovakia, and East Germany made clear they wanted no further place behind the Iron Curtain, with the dramatic public destruction of the Berlin Wall perhaps the most vivid demonstration of this desire, the economic situation back in Russia proper was becoming ever worse. Luxuries like Chelomei’s dreams of advanced combination space-planes, massive new stations, and missions to the moon and Mars were no longer affordable, if had been to begin with. Indeed, even the abbreviated Mir station that Glushko had managed to see launched before his passing was passing beyond the reduced Union’s ability to support.

Admittedly, even incomplete the station could provide enough crew space and electrical power to function; in fact, with quarters for nine crew and a central MOK module providing up to 140 kilowatts of electrical power it was better equipped than any previous Soviet space station. However, the issue was not power or volume, but the crew time needed to support meaningful operations and the logistics requirements of keeping the station running smoothly. The TKS crew rotation and logistics flights required to support the station were expensive, even with the reduced costs of Vulkan, and worse, the only spaceport capable of handling Vulkan was Baikonur. Originally selected for its remoteness from the prying eyes of the West, the location of Baikonur in the Kazakh SSR now seemed distressingly far from Moscow as other nations began straining the bounds that tied the Soviet Union together. In light of this, remaining military satellite launches on the Soyuz rocket were transferred to the more secure Plesetsk launch site in northern Russia, but the cash-strapped program couldn’t afford the additional construction that would be required to develop another site for Vulkan support, and the even higher inclination of Plestsk would make launching crew and cargo to Mir very challenging. Indeed, far from supporting new development, it was becoming increasingly doubtful that the Soviet Union could even support the existing site at Baikonur. To save on costs, flights to Mir were curtailed in early 1990. Now, instead of the already problematic six-month, six-crew occupation of the station, a skeleton crew of three cosmonauts would occupy Mir alone for up to eight months at a stretch. This combination of duration stretch and crew reduction would allow minimization of support flights, as the existing 6-month consumables stores on the station laid in for 9 crew could be stretched for more than a year with just minimal support from the ground. However, it would cripple the ability to operate the station for any significant scientific capability—indeed, the reduced crews of cosmonauts had trouble keeping up with the maintenance required by the station. Just keeping the lights on was overwhelming, much less doing anything dramatic to match the revived exploratory direction of the United States.

By the middle of 1991, if the maintenance situation on-orbit was a challenge, it had become downright dangerous on the ground. Workers had begun to desert the site, returning to Russia amidst concerns about the stability of the Soviet Union and the exposure of Baikonur’s location in the Kazakh SSR. Funding to pay the ones who remained was becoming scarce, much less to conduct upkeep on the sites. While the hangars and launch sites in-use were at least kept from degrading below functionality, less active facilities like the hangar holding the remaining MOK and DOS modules originally intended for Mir were largely treated with neglect, and unused launch sites and infrastructure were abandoned completely to the elements. With Gorbachev and the newly-elected Prime Minister Yeltsin now working in strained conditions from offices within the Kremlin and hardliner reactions to the state of the nation becoming ever more shrill, the remote sites were almost forgotten, ancient history next to the day-to-day survival of the Union. Finally, the situation came to a head at Site 1, the abandoned R-7 turned Soyuz pad which had seen the beginning of the Soviet space program with the launches of Sputnik and Yuri Gagarin. It had been almost three years since regular monthly maintenance had been carried out at the historic site, with personnel focusing instead on the active Vulkan pads. However, at the same time, the possibility and dream that the site might someday be returned to active status led to program leaders making the decision to not fully disable the site, but instead simply abandon its equipment and structure in place. It was an unstable situation, and the harsh Kazakh weather had proved too much to bear. In the late evening of July 20th, 1991, a failed electrical substation on the pad had begun to spark uncontrollably well beyond the notice of the small number of Baikonur’s remaining staff who were present on a Saturday night. Soon afterwards, it ignited leaking, improperly drained lines from the site’s kerosene supply.

The results were almost pre-ordained. Gagarin’s Start, perhaps the most important single launch site in the world, the starting point of many of the Soviet Union’s most important space missions, caught fire. Initially starting as a kerosene fire, it shortly ignited pad insulation, untended plant life that had begun to grow near the pad, and anything else it could reach. If properly maintained, the heat of such a simple fire should have been nothing to a site designed to handle rocket launches, certainly not before the automatic fire suppression systems activated. However, the suppression systems had failed months prior and critical upkeep to the pad structures had been neglected from budget pressures and personnel shortages. On a weekend evening with little other activity at the site, Baikonur’s overstretched fire-fighting teams were ill-equipped in either time or equipment to react to such a fire, and it took almost an hour and a half to marshal a response. By this point and with the gear they had on hand, it was more a question of containing the fire and letting it burn itself out than of putting it out. While they were successful in this effort, at least, the effects were devastating—welds in the launch support tower had failed under the heat, and the structure which had seen the birth of the Space Age collapsed into the remaining flames just after midnight. When the fires were finally damped in the morning, the site had been almost totally destroyed, leaving behind a pile of scrap metal good only for salvage where once there had been one of the Soviet Union’s most prized technological treasures. It was an ominous harbinger for the future of the Soviet program, and the Soviet Union itself.

Meanwhile in the United States, NASA’s fate seemed almost diametrically opposed to that of their traditional rivals, blessed not only with expansive budgets, but also with current ongoing successes and a mandate for the future. In his “Constellations of Exploration” address on the anniversary of the Apollo landings, George Bush had invoked the spirit of John F. Kennedy to direct that NASA seize the opportunity he saw to secure American leadership in spaceflight through three major directives. First, he called for completion of the remaining assembly of Space Station Freedom and the full utilization of it as a platform for exploration and research into humanity and the environment of space. Second, he had directed NASA to begin ongoing technical development aimed at a future mission to Mars, including precursor probes to better define landing sites and priorities for manned exploration. However, to many, the most exciting element of Bush’s Project Constellation was not its full use of the existing assets, nor its intention to continue to develop technologies critical to blazing a path to Mars to be potentially followed in future decades, but the third element: Bush’s direction that NASA make a priority of the development of a plan to once again return to the Moon. While some, including Robert Zubrin’s “On to Mars!” group, disagreed with the ordering of these priorities, in general the plans were greeted within NASA as practical but challenging enough to inspire the agency’s effort and success, and sparked a degree of interest from the US public. Perhaps most critically, Congress agreed, selecting “Option A” from the so-called Exploration Report in late 1990, and authorizing NASA to officially begin Project Constellation with the immediate goal of developing the hardware to conduct sorties to the moon, with technical development and precursor missions for lunar outposts or Mars exploration flights to be conducted as sidelines. In line with this authorization, two new Program Offices were established at NASA to spearhead each of these objectives, joining the existing Freedom Program Office. The first was the Artemis Program Office, charged with the development of architecture, hardware, and specific mission plans to begin sortie flights with all appropriate haste, as well as to conduct additional development aimed at enabling future more permanent outposts on the lunar surface or in lunar orbit. The second was the Ares Program Office, which was assigned the less tangible task of reviewing existing and developing technologies with an eye towards Mars exploration, developing design reference missions as to how these technologies in various forms could be used to send men to and return from Mars, as well as coordinating with NASA’s planetary research divisions to co-develop appropriate unmanned probes to learn more about the planet and survey for optimal landing sites to ensure maximum scientific return potential if and when a full Mars exploration campaign was approved. While these two offices worked to begin the first tasks of organizing themselves around the core study teams originally convened for the Exploration Report and started digging into their new directives, the third and final NASA Manned Spaceflight Office, the Freedom Program Office, moved forward along much the same path it had already been following.

Compared to the competitor whose development had in a way enabled it, Space Station Freedom was a bit of a late bloomer. Mir had beaten Freedom to orbit, and if completed as planned would have still outclassed it in several areas. However, as the Wall fell and the Soviet government’s stability began, incredibly, to seem shaky and fragile, Freedom had reached initial operational capacity and was still progressing with development. Experiments in the laboratory spaces on the station involving crystal growth, advanced fluid behavior, and biology continued in the footsteps of Spacelab and Skylab even as the last few modules continued to flow uphill to join the station. The next major element to arrive was the second of the two station’s nodes, joining the station in March 1990 to provide a base for further expansion. In addition to providing four more CADS ports for berthing visiting spacecraft and the remaining two lab modules, the ESA-built Node 2 (“Harmony”) also contained boosters for the station’s life support systems, air and water supplies, and hygiene facilities. Beyond the practical, the module carried one final key facility—at one of the side ports on the node, it contained the Canadian Space Agency’s final major contribution to the station, the Cupola. Originally, the Cupola had been scheduled to launch with Node 1, where it was intended to take up final residence. However, de Havilland Canada, the subcontractor MDA had selected to lead the module’s development, had experienced delays with what was after all its first manned space project, and the module’s launch had slipped. Now, though, the module had finally made its way to Kennedy, been joined to its European companion, and flown to the station with the timely aid of an AARDV tug.

The Cupola was designed for two main purposes that mandated its unique structure. Though a small module in terms of overall dimensions, the Cupola was fitted with no fewer than seven windows, six trapezoidal windows on the sides of a truncated prism, terminating in a single circular main window—the largest ever flown into space. Once moved to the nadir (Earth-facing) port on Node One, these windows would provide a critical point for supervising the operation of astronauts on EVA, the docking of spacecraft with the station, and the station’s dual robotic arms while servicing the station’s myriad external science pallets. In May, this role was put to the test with the first arrival of a Minotaur cargo vehicle, which the cupola passed with flying colors, and again in August with oversight of the delivery of the third of the station’s four solar power segments. This was a tricky operation—to minimize stress on the larger inboard truss segments, the panels were first docked to one of the Node’s CADS ports, and then translated by the station’s robotic arms to their final position at the outboard end of the starboard truss. This entirely-Canadian-dependent operation was overseen by none other than Canada’s own Doug MacKay, a Canadian Space Agency astronaut whose mechanical engineering background had lead him to be assigned as a liaison to MDA and de Havilland on the development of the Cupola and the arms. Compared to the time spent in meetings and simulators to make sure the hardware would work under all kinds of contingencies, MacKay found the smooth operation of the real articles on-orbit a relief. Beyond its purely practical operational uses, the cupola’s windows also served as a “window on the world,” granting an expansive and immersive location where astronauts could photograph surface features for experimental or recreational purposes, or merely enjoy off-duty time enjoying the serene beauty of the Earth turning beneath them. Thanks to a combination of pride in the work and his keen photography habit, Doug’s presence in the cupola was such a constant during off-hours that his expedition mates posted a paper sign on the hatch lintel temporarily designating it the “CSA augmented crew berthing location”. However, the shutterbug MacKay wasn’t the only one to feel the attraction of the Cupola; the module’s concentration of data feeds and recording equipment combined with its one-of-a-kind backdrop quickly made it one of the common settings for the semi-regular press events NASA conducted with the station’s crew, and a common location for spending the off hours.

While the Node was more practical and the Cupola was more focused on Earth, the next major module of the station to be launched was more in line with the goals of Freedom in Bush’s new Project Constellation—using the station as a proving ground for human exploration technologies. The examination of human, plant, and animal reactions to partial gravity had been a major question in the history of spaceflight, just as microgravity had been a mystery before the flights of Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, and the long-duration explorations of Skylab and Spacelab. By the 1990 launch of the Centrifuge Gravity Lab, the negative side effects of extended microgravity were well-quantified. The decrease in function of the cardiovascular system, the potential for muscle atrophy, and the permanent degradation of bone density were all troubling to people in advocacy groups who dreamed of long-term off-world occupancy or even permanent colonization. With the use of centrifuges for generating simulated gravity well known even by the middle of the 20th century, the launch of a unit to test the effects of simulated gravity, from near-microgravity all the way to full-Earth had been a dream in many plans for space stations. However, it had never been critical enough to survive the omnipresent budget cuts and down-scoping until Freedom. Freedom’s Centrifuge Gravity Lab, or CGL, was designed to finally begin investigations into this key area—after all, mission planners and engineers developing future lunar bases or Mars missions would need data for properly quantifying and responding to whatever risks might be posed by prolonged exposure to partial gravity in their designs.

The Japanese-built CGL was heavily focused on providing this kind of information at long last. The massive rotor that functioned as the justification and heart of the module was an engineering masterpiece, though with the result of costing nearly as much to design as the pair of European-built nodes put together. It featured several compartments for housing plant or animals which could be moved closer or further away from the hub, up to the maximum 5.5m diameter of the rotor. To compensate for load shifts, a series of similarly mobile weights served to counterbalance the chambers. This meant that the rotor would be capable of supporting the two major areas of inquiry—animal and plant growth--simultaneously, at multiple gravity levels for each. The first samples for testing in the lab had already been flow to the station—the first Minotaur had carried passengers in the form of lab rats, spiders, and a variety of seeds. Upon the arrival of the CGL in November, the samples were moved from their temporary home in Node 2 into the CGL, where they became the main project of US biologist Nancy MacDonald. However, the workload was heavy, and ESA astronaut Pierre Martin (who had something of a green thumb, and a fondness for animals) became a common assistant in the domain of what became, inevitably, “MacDonald’s Farm.” It would take almost two years to complete the initial rounds of experiments at lunar and Martian gravity, but the answers to the questions were being eagerly awaited back on Earth.

MacDonald and Martin were part of an auspicious mission--the 7th manned mission to Freedom, making them part of Freedom Expedition 7. As a Public Affairs Office effort to tie in excitement generated by Constellation and nostalgia for the Space Race of the 60s with the work going on in orbit at Freedom, Alan Shepard--America’s first astronaut, and not coincidentally commander of the first Freedom 7 mission--was invited to sit in on the launch at Houston in July. After injection and transposition, Shepard was allowed to take a seat at the CAPCOM station and directly speak with the crew, a rare privilege. Mission commander Chris Valente, a Spacelab veteran, revealed himself to have regarded Shepard as a boyhood hero and said that he had always hoped to follow in Shepard’s footsteps to the moon. Shepard, in turn, said he was honored to be able to speak to the astronauts of today, and to see the work he had been part of continued and built on. A salute to the past and a taste of the future while drawing attention to the present work--the event was everything the PAO could have hoped for. Besides coverage in trade journals and other specialty presses, it even received 30 seconds of coverage on national news the next day.

However well Freedom assembly was going, the situation was not as rosy for all the Freedom partners as it was for the United States. The European Space Agency (ESA) had already been reaching close to the end of their budgetary tether to support their lab and node contributions to Freedom (one reason the Columbus lab only roughly matched the size and capability of the Spacelab ERM as opposed to making use of the expanded payload range of NASA’s Saturn Multibody to launch a larger lab—the increased development could not be afforded, not the increased barter associated with a heavier module’s launch), and the development of just the cargo version of Minotaur, not to mention their own extensive unmanned probe program, including Mars landers (with the Soviets), the Kirchhoff/Newton comet probe (with the United States), and the International Infrared Observatory (with Japan). While accomplishing this on a budget less than a third the size of the United States’ NASA was impressive, the large continuing costs of Freedom and other missions meant that ESA future planned developments like the crew-capable Minotaur and continued unmanned exploration were critically dependent on a roughly constant budget—something ESA’s member nations had committed to throughout the late 80s.

However, this projection took a turn with the addition of an unanticipated outside factor: the abrupt destabilization and dissolution of the Soviet Union. East Germany had been one of the Warsaw Pact nations leading the push for independence, and with the success of that drive, the desire for reunification of Germany was strong. However, the state of East German infrastructure and industry meant that any such reunification would come with a huge financial burden to West Germany for bringing the East up to modern economic, technological, environmental, and social standards. Based on this more down-to-Earth need, Germany had to revise its planned contributions to ESA downward. Thankfully, the presence of the United Kingdom and France to anchor the coalition meant that the blow was not severe enough to compromise the agency’s ongoing activities, but it did mean that new development and missions would have to be scaled back, starting with the manned Minotaur. While having an independent crew-launch capability had been a long-term goal of the European consortium since its foundation, a goal tempered and strengthened in the fiery memos and conferences of the Seat Wars, it was a luxury they could not afford at the moment. Minotaur would continue to serve as a cargo launch vehicle, but Europe’s manned space program would have to continue with the status quo of hitching rides with the United States.

The ESA budget crisis created with the scaling back of Germany’s contributions had one other major effect. With Germany reduced in standing, France and Britain began to increasingly exercise the power granted by their domination of the contributions to the budget, and they had a complaint they wanted addressed. ESA had succeeded ELDO with the goal of making Europa and its various derivatives not just operational launchers for Europe’s space science programs, but also successful on the commercial market. While the common Europa 4/2HE family was more capable and less costly than the original Europa rockets, the US domination of the commercial launch market through Lockheed, McDonnell-Douglas, and new firms like ALS continued into the late 80s, largely due to lower costs and higher agility granted by their independence from a central authority like ESA’s. The result was that ESA’s attempts to commercialize Europa had so far been met with little success outside of Europe, whose governments often pressured local firms into launching aboard a European rocket, and those few countries outside of Europe which wished to launch satellites and could not or would not work out an agreement with one of the superpowers to do so, India being one of the larger customers during most of the 1980s for satellites beyond the capability of its own domestic launch program. As the 1990s began in earnest, French and British interest in a leaner, more responsive, and more commercial structure for the Europa began to increasingly dominate the question of European launch solutions.

Although ESA’s goals and plans had to be scaled down due to Germany’s reunification expenses and resulting decreased free cash flow, the financial trouble Europe was experiencing was nothing compared to the reality check suffered by the Japanese economy at the turn of the decade. Complex economic conditions during the 60s and 70s had laid the stage for an asset price bubble, since it had become incredibly easy to make money via investment in capital assets like industrial facilities and property, and Japan’s emphasis on personal savings since the end of the Second World War had left banks with large amounts of money to invest in these seemingly-perfect high-return investments—Japanese capital investments made Japanese firms more efficient than others, and thus able to increase market share and outcompete such other firms, creating profits and return on the investments, which could then be rolled into further capital investments which would see even greater returns. However, when the BOJ attempted to step in and finally intervene to slow the rampant, potentially unsustainable growth in 1989, the market collapsed—risky loans that had been taken on as calculated risks during the height of the bubble could not be paid back, investor confidence collapsed, and the market tumbled. Contrary to 80s speculation by economists and writers that Japanese growth would naturally make them the dominant economic power by the end of the millennium, the country’s finances by 1990 were in a tailspin.

The dire economic straits had natural effects on the availability of funding for the country’s space program. The lofty ambitions of the country had been echoed in the scale of their space plans: 1986 had seen the flight of the first H-I, a Delta 4000-derived vehicle with an entirely Japanese-developed Centaur replacement upper stage using their natively-developed LE-5 engine. It had also seen the initial phases of development on a new Japanese-developed hydrogen-fueled core and Japanese solid rocket boosters, which together would leave Japan incapable only of filling the very heavy lift role of the Saturn Heavy and Vulkan-Herakles domestically. Japan’s selection of a hydrogen first stage was almost unheard of in the existing spaceflight community, as the less efficient but far denser kerosene was the fuel of choice for nearly every other first stage then flying, with the exception of legacy hypergolic or all-solid stages. However, Japan had spent a great deal of effort developing their own expertise with hydrogen, and believed that it would be more efficient to leverage that investment into their new first stage development rather than also begin an entire engine development program from scratch. Characteristic of Japan in the late ‘80s, the investment necessary to begin research into large first-stage hydrogen engines had been easy to secure with the promise of a much more capable vehicle, and the LE-7 engine had been under development since 1984. By 1987, this program was beginning to bear fruit, and the completion of H-I development had apparently left the door open to begin development of the large hydrogen first stage in earnest, resulting in program approval in early 1988. However, the economic implosion a year later left this ambition high and dry—while development was not totally discontinued, the intended breakneck pace instead slowed to a crawl, going from an intended entry into service of 1992 to 1996.

Japanese technology development plans had been equally ambitious. Eager to gain their own cargo and manned spaceflight capability, Japan had been intending to spend the 1990s pursuing a small-scale reusable spaceplane development program, with the goal of a spacecraft equivalent in capability to Minotaur or Apollo but with substantially lower operational costs—a classic example of the type of efficiency-improving investments popular in Japan at the height of the bubble. The program was to begin with drop-tests of a small-scale model, which could then fly to orbit as a light logistics craft for Freedom while it developed flight heritage for the full-scale vehicle, notionally to reach service by the evocative date of 2001 which, combined with the all-hydrogen launch vehicle would create a manned launch capability to match that of any nation in the world—but substantially more efficient and lower-cost. However, just as it was even more unorthodox and ambitious than their launcher development plans, so too the Japanese spaceplane program was even more vulnerable when the asset bubble popped. The plans for a full-scale manned spacecraft were tabled indefinitely, and developing an orbital vehicle was postponed. Even the drop testing and suborbital development was slowed, with focus shifted more to lab-scale testing and computational simulations than the intended X-plane-style test flights. Funds would no longer be assured to materialize should the initial design underperform in testing, so the time would have to be spent instead to ensure that whatever testing could be afforded was on a vehicle designed right.

About the only element of the Japanese program not affected by the economic crisis was their participation in Space Station Freedom. After all, the work to develop and build the Centrifuge Gravity Lab and the Kibo complex was complete, and both modules were being prepared for shipment across the Pacific to the United States for final checkout, assembly with their AARDV tugs, and launch by the time the asset bubble popped. Moreover, crew slots on station—one slot per full-station crew of 10, using a seat on every other Apollo crew launch—had already been paid off in the exorbitant development expenses of the CGL, meaning that the cost of continuing to support their Freedom program consisted of essentially just ground support expenses for Kibo’s labs and training for their astronaut corps. With the spaceplanes tabled and the development schedule of the H-II that was to have launched them stretching enormously, it was seen as critical to save face with their international collaborators by continuing full-speed with their contributions to projects like Freedom. Kibo was launched on a NASA Saturn in June 1991, and served by a constant rotation of Japanese crewmembers flying to the station on American Apollo capsules. It was the final module of the station, completing assembly and moving the focus to supporting the station’s scientific utilization.

Not every changing space program at the turn of the decade was disintegrating under financial stresses or national collapse, however. Several nations saw a chance for seizing opportunity in the collapsing state of the Soviet Union. India had, largely on its own, built a fledgling space program by the latter half of the 1980s. They had developed and launched their own basic satellites on the all-solid Satellite Launch Vehicle (SLV), and were working on an augmented launcher that would combine three SLV first stages (two as ground-lit boosters, and the third as an air-lit sustainer core) to boost payloads of up to 150 kg into orbit. However, to go much further, India would need greatly expanded payload capabilities, which would call for liquid rocket engines, preferably hypergolic or kerosene. For the moment at least, India did not have the resources to develop this technical base all entirely on their own. However, India decided that it was better to avoid reinventing the wheel—or the turbopump—and instead began work around 1988 to acquire the necessary technologies from a nation that already possessed them. Unfortunately, they were confronted with a problem: most of the major space powers (including Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, and the United States) had established the Missile Technology Control Regime, an association of nations with the goals of reducing missile technology proliferation. Among other provisions, MTCR included voluntary restrictions on the export of technologies related to long-range ballistic missiles…such as the very engine technologies India had hoped to acquire. However, there was more than one way to acquire these technologies, and India instead sought out an old partner: the Soviet Union, with whom India’s first astronaut had flown to the Salyut 7 space station in 1984, and who had been a major arms merchant to the Indian military since the 1960s. Initially, India reached out under the notion of continuing this association with flights to Mir; however, once talks had begun, they requested the addition of a simple transfer of key technologies related to the hypergolic engines of the obsolescent Proton rockets. Thanks to the increased transparency of the Gorbachev regime, India could not help but be aware of the USSR’s increasing fiscal issues, and hoped that by leading with “cash on the table,” the Soviets would find it harder to reject their real interest in the Proton technology. However, the gambit proved a bridge too far, and talks broke down after a few months of negotiations.

In 1992, with the Soviet remnants fading fast, India was contacted by elements of the ex-Soviet space program—now the Russians wanted to resume talks. In fact, not only were they willing to accede to the Indian’s requests for flights to Mir and engine technology transfer, but they could do one better than simply providing information on now-obsolete Soviet hypergolic engines: they would provide detailed engineering support on the most modern Russian staged-combustion kerosene engines. Moreover, they would not just provide the engines: should the Indians be interested, the Russians were willing to sweeten the deal: they would provide launch vehicle development support, assistance with establishing native production, and support the Indians as they natively developed derivative technologies. All the Indians had to do was cash in. The major concept the Russians were suggesting was one of Glushko’s Vulkan derivatives—a clustered-core vehicle using a single RD-161 engine (a sea-level variant of the single-chamber RD-160 from the Vulkan second stage) on a booster, paired with upper stages derived from the Soyuz/Molniya rockets. The vehicle would be more than capable in a single-stick configuration of meeting the Indian’s needs—in fact, it would also fulfill the Indian’s longer-term goal of a native Geosynchronous Launch Vehicle, not just their current polar-orbit needs. In both single-core and tri-core versions, it could replace the R-7 family with a Vulkan-related booster, therefore continuing to reduce the Russian program’s operations costs—critical, given the ever-lower budgets. The Russians got funding to “co-develop” a booster they badly wanted while also providing critical cash flow for upkeep on their existing production and launch sites—the pall of smoke over Gagarin’s Start hung heavy in many minds. The Indians got almost all of the design support work on their booster done without as much need for immediate native production. It was too good an offer to turn down. The one potential sticking block was the United States and MTCR—while Russia was not a member, there was the potential to use “strong arm” tactics on the new nation to force it to hold to the terms. However, India pointed out that it already had its own missile-related technologies, and could develop a rocket or missile that would fall within MTCR’s 500kg-or-more-to-300km-range payload band without needing outside help—which would make them a potential source for the kinds of technologies MTCR was trying to restrict. On the other hand, India had basically already been voluntarily adhering to the principles that it would only import, never export such technologies—a policy in line with the MTCR’s goals if India was allowed to become a member. While no decision was made, the arguments kicked up enough fuss that, combined with a sense of forging a new world order including both Russia and India as vital partners, the MTCR nations were unwilling to risk the use of strong arm tactics to block the Indo-Russian co-development agreements being signed. As an extra bonus, India would get to pay to see several of its astronauts fly to Mir—though initially in 1988 a ruse to begin negotiations, the Indians were more than happy to accept when it was offered to them at discount rates.

At the same time, another nation was eyeing the deal the Indians had gotten, and carefully examining what else Russia might have to offer. China’s new 827 capsule, code named Lóngxīng (“Star Dragon”), was very closely based in design on the obsolete Soviet Soyuz capsule, and many of the Chinese plans to build it, then a small space station and build up experience in long-term operations were based in part on finding the Russians’ approach to have been successful and reasonably cheap (while the Chinese could afford a quite expensive program, they were more than content accepting slower progress towards the same goals in exchange for far lower development cost). However, co-operating with Russia—or more correctly, looting the Russian spaceflight program for whatever bits or pieces might be of use for China—offered a chance to avoid some of the most expensive development, build up station flight history immediately, and offer Lóngxīng a destination immediately upon entry into service, reducing the need for some of the intermediate station projects China’s original plans had included. Therefore, in late 1992, agents of the Chinese government approached Roscosmos, the new Russian space agency, and Energia, now a massive conglomerate led by Chelomei, with a proposal. Much as with India, Russian engineers would be paid to offer support for Chinese development of rockets and capsules. In the meantime, while 827 was coming online, Chinese cosmonauts would be flown to Mir on Russian TKS capsules in order to allow the Chinese to gain experience in station operations. To increase this, Russian engineers working closely with their Chinese counterparts would convert the remaining grounded DOS module to China’s needs, then launch them to Mir to be operated semi-autonomously by the Chinese as an interim step to their own stations. Once completed, China would launch its own capsules, initially to dock with Mir while they worked on putting up their own station. Russian reaction to the stark (and extensive!) list of conditions the Chinese placed on the table was mixed—on the one hand, it was a dictation of terms, not a proposal of alliance. Its propositions were demands, with price tags listed for what China would be willing to pay for each service, and a clear intent to gain whatever they could squeeze from the Russians without any long-term commitment. On the other hand….Russia badly needed the money, and could hardly afford to be picky about the attitude of potential clients. Meanwhile, the United States and Europe were growing increasingly displeased by how many developing space powers were treating the remnants of the Soviet Union as a one-stop-shop for circumventing arms proliferation preventions. The 90s promised a whole new world with the fall of the USSR and other changes, and those who could adapt would be the ones to thrive.

Last edited:
It's Alive! IT'S ALI--VE!!

And the harsh, lean 1990's kick in. Though with the UK a part of the ESA here, the financial blow to them is somewhat lessened, even if they do have to curtail their plans a good deal. Better than Japan though, with their Nikkei-225 tanking from all-time high of close to 39,000 to almost 7,000 some 20 years later. With only NASA being able to enjoy healthy funding for the time being - at least until Congress gets to make cuts to rebalance the budget.

Not as bad as in Russia though! They're now so desperate for funding to sustain their Mir programme, they've practically gave India a significant chunk of their Rocket and Rocket Engine Technology to secure vital funds. While China was all too happy to take advantage of the situation to secure the best Russian Tech. to permit them to fast-track their own Space Programme at reduced expense.

Have to say, I do like the alternate name for the Chinese Soyuz-esque Manned Spacecraft they have in development - if only a paper-study right now AFAIK.

If I have to nitpick here, could you please up the size of the main post text please? I did have a few issues reading it, it was that small for me.

It's back! :D

Looks good. Sad to see Gagarin's Start burn up.

How similar is the cooperation between the USSR/Russia and India to OTL activity, or is it entirely TTL?

Looks good. Sad to see Gagarin's Start burn up.

Forgot to mention that...

I'd say it burned to the ground on account of reduced - or zero - usage. IOTL, Soyuz Manned Flights meant that that particular launch pad was still in heavy use and so needed to be well-maintained. ITTL, with use of Vulkan for Manned Flights means that they had to prioritise those Launch Pads with their diminishing funding levels.

And now the Baikonur Cosmodrone sits in another State. Kazakhstan. So their gonna have to get a nice long lease on the land there - pretty much like OTL in that regard.

Hello e of pi,

A fantastic - and very thorough - update to kick off Part III. Most of it fits in line with what I expected - although I did not see the explosion wrecking Gagarin's Start (sad to see that), and the aggressiveness of the PRC in picking the bones of Soviet space assets was a little surprising. So now we have an Indo-Sino-Russian space station rivaled against a Euro-Japanese-American station. I might have a technical question or two, but I will get around to asking them later. I did have one question now: Freedom once finished now has the two additional solar panel trusses added, making a total of four units (16 total panels) as we have on the ISS, right?

I enjoyed the snark about Shepard's phone call to Freedom: "Besides coverage in trade journals and other specialty presses, it even received 30 seconds of coverage on national news the next day."

I've added all the relevant elements of the new update to the timeline, as best I could, for those curious.

I look forward to the coming artwork. Keep up the great work, gentlemen.

Last edited:
This is fantastic! Surprised at the fate of the last DOS module; I was betting on it lofted with an Indian flag on the side...

...of course, y'alls were pretty coy about the fate of the last MOK. ;)

Fantastic TL in all ways. Love that Apollo is going back to the moon. Keep it up!